TSBI KR/PR, PA, QCK preliminary test results

Ian Jones

Not sure if this is anywhere else on here, but I saw a few people asking and no answers, so i did a test of my own to see if tecmo fixed the useless stats from the NES version when they ported it over to the SNES.

So I can say for certain that the KR/PR max speed was fixed. I gave Clarence verdin 6MS and the Bills returners 100MS and there was an obvious difference. In the second game I switched their MS ratings, and again an obvious difference.

For the first game, I switched Kelly to 6PA and George to 100PA, the entire Bills def to 100QCK and the entire colts def to 6QCK.

PA now seems to have an effect to have an effect also, as Kelly was 33% 44yds 0 TD and 1INT and George was 39% 108yds 0TD 0INT, despite the fact that the Bills receivers are much better than the Colts and Bruce Smith was in George's face half the time he threw. Also, George completed some CC passes, whereas the only CC pass that kelly completed was a diving catch by Beebe (no cutscene), so I'm guessing that maybe the glitch still exists where when a player dives for a catch, it may still negate the ratings parity, but it was only once so that's pretty inconclusive.

The colts run game was abysmal, with Johnson rushing 7 times for 28 yds, and the bills were good with Thomas rushing 6 times for 64yds.

For the second game, I switched Kelly to 100PA and Geaorge to 6PA, the entire Bills def to 6QCK and the entire Colts def to 100QCK.

Kelly was 38% with 106yds 2TD and 1int. George was 35% 160yds 1TD 4int. I noticed that a lot of George's completions were to wide open guys though, and when they were covered he usually got picked. Kelly actually completed about half of his CC passes this time. So I'm starting to think that QCK has an impact on coverage.

Only a slight difference in the run game, this time Johnson rushing 7 times for 13 yds and Thomas rushing 6 times for 50yds 1TD.

One thing I can speculate with some certainty at this point is that quickness doesn't seem to affect the ability or percentage of jumping pass deflections, and it almost certainly doesn't affect INT or FUM returns.

For the third game, I gave the Bills everything. Kelly to 100PA, George to 6PA, Bills def to 100QCK, Colts def to 6QCK. I thought for sure that on this try, Kelly was going to light it up and george was going to have the worst game of his life. George's completions were once again to wide open receivers, however it did seem like his receivers were having to do some diving to catch his passes. Kelly completed maybe 1 CC pass.

The run game was disappointing on both sides, with Thomas rushing 5 times for 14 yds 1TD and Johnson rushing 8 times for 11yds.

Kelly was 38% 154yds 0TD 1int. George was 53% 130yds 1TD 2int.

For the fourth game, I wanted to see if QCK possibly had an effect on pass rushing, so I bumped the bills DL up to 100HP and took them down to 6QCK, while i took their OLBs down to 6HP and 100QCK. For the colts, I did the opposite. I took the DL down to 6HP but bumped to 100QCK and the OLBs got 100HP but 6QCK. Quickness had no effect on the pass rush, as the 100HP still came through the line but the 100QCK did not (although Clancy did come through once on a non blitz play). I left the rest the same as in game 3.

While both QBs were under more duress in this game, they had their best games so far. Kelly was 75% 145yds 0TD 0int and George was 71% 159yds 0TD 0int. What do QB ratings even mean at this point? lol I'm assuming it's because they were throwing the shorter higher percentage passes.

Thomas had an outstanding day against a 6HP DL, with 7 rushes for 86yds, and Johnson had an even more terrible exprience than usual going up against a 100HP line 6 rushes for 5yds.

So, the only thing truly conclusive about this test was that MS for KR and PR does work. While it seems that PA also does something, but whether it controls pass targeting or CMP/INT i'm not sure. And I have no earthly idea what Quickness controls, if anything at all. It could possibly control responsiveness to user input? All these games were cpu vs cpu, but in player data, the higher QCK players are the better overall players, regardless of position.

It's possible quickness does nothing again. One pretty foolproof way to determine if it does anything is to a record a whole COM vs COM game with all the quicknesses at say 100. Then change the rom values to all 6's. 

Then play the movie back. If those values do anything the movie should desynchronize (the movie playback will differ from what actually happened). If it doesn't desync then its pretty probably they do nothing.  

• 3 months later...