Rename Old Timers

I need a little guidance renaming the old timers in Tecmo Superbowl 3 for the SNES. In the past I had no problems changing the names of active roster players names with TSBm2000 ( example fb bills to T. Thomas).

However, after winning 3 Superbowls and unlocking the old timers, I can't get the updated names to update in the rom ( QB SF to J.Montana). I go through rename and export, however, they still read QB SF on the teams roster I put them on.

Any ideas why I can't import these names?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 10:54 AM, LanceUpperrrcut said:

I need a little guidance renaming the old timers in Tecmo Superbowl 3 for the SNES. In the past I had no problems changing the names of active roster players names with TSBm2000 ( example fb bills to T. Thomas).

However, after winning 3 Superbowls and unlocking the old timers, I can't get the updated names to update in the rom ( QB SF to J.Montana). I go through rename and export, however, they still read QB SF on the teams roster I put them on.

Any ideas why I can't import these names?

I can verify that this bug exists in TSBM 2000. My guess is that the author forgot about exporting those special players.

However I was able to verify that TSB III Manager will correctly edit the All Time Greats and Free Agents. You can get it here.

Thanks for the advise. I have tried TSBM 3, the issue I had with it is after renaming players, I go to export and it ask me to omit 2 teams. Once I do, the rom will not load. Any ideas ?

What I have been doing is renaming with Hex Editor. The issue there is the limitation of the name can only be as long as the preset name. Once I understand pointers, I could then make the names as long as needed.

22 minutes ago, LanceUpperrrcut said:

Thanks for the advise. I have tried TSBM 3, the issue I had with it is after renaming players, I go to export and it ask me to omit 2 teams. Once I do, the rom will not load. Any ideas ?

What I have been doing is renaming with Hex Editor. The issue there is the limitation of the name can only be as long as the preset name. Once I understand pointers, I could then make the names as long as needed.

Ah. For TSB III it's basically a tool to export to TSB for the NES.  What you want to do here is simply save the rom.  (this is essentially the opposite of how the wording works in TSBM2000)