Green Bay, WI : Full Nelson II Hardcore 10-19-2019 Noon

Signups are looking strong, and we have plenty of room, so keep those signups rolling in!

Invite friends, steal them for a weekend, and make the journey up.

On that note, DPS and Mort are coming up Friday night the 18th, and Tom/Green Majik are coming up the day of the tournament out of the Chicago area.  If you're in their neck of the woods, they might just help you out.

Join us live on Facebook at 9PM Sunday October 13th as Brad Bell from Tecmo Bowl and Troy Gblan discuss the upcoming Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl tournaments coming up October 18th-19th. Join us in chat so we can answer your questions, and keep you informed on what's happening! See you then!

Went head to head with Brad Bell from Tecmo Bowl's Facebook page talking about our Tecmo Bowl and Hardcore Rules Format Tecmo Super Bowl events coming up this weekend in Green Bay.  Enjoy the video, and we'll see you this weekend!

Our awesome host "Boehmer" has just informed me that all competing will get a free drink ticket.

We'll also have some gift certs for the bar available to be won by anyone in attendance.

First drink is on them boys, enjoy it!

Just a quick update regarding things to know this weekend.

Sign up numbers are strong based on past precedent for Saturday.  Mort had to drop out this weekend due to a family tragedy, so we wish him well in his absence.  Give him a big hug next time you see him. 

We could definitely use a few more willing players for original Tecmo Bowl Friday night.  We have a lot of one day trip guys coming so they couldn't make Friday work in their plans.  That being said a lot has been poured into paid advertising on social media for both events, so we do expect some walk in traffic for both.  Pick up gaming after Tecmo Bowl Friday will be available as well.

We have a lot of verbal commitments from first time players, and friends of friends.

Our doors will be open at 11 at the latest on Saturday for pickup games/last minute registration.  You should be able to arrive at 6PM to get your Tecmo Bowl pickup games in.  The bar is open earlier than this for happy hour Friday so feel free to take advantage of that.

Upon checking in with me you'll get your free drink ticket for Saturday, and you'll be entered to win prizes.  We have some opening ceremonies planned at noon, and hope to be into our games by 12:15.

It's our intention to hold the raffle in between the group play and bracket stage.  As the Swiss is rapid fire one game after another, this will be a welcome break to chow down, refresh your drinks, use facilities etc, before going into sudden death mode.

Assuming enough systems in play, we're hoping for 6 games of Swiss, followed by our bracket.

We do intend on tearing some equipment down near the end of the tournament, but we will leave some systems up for pickup games for whoever wants to take advantage of that.  As it will take several trips to bring everything back home with me, we'll leave some things up till probably 9 or 10PM.  Our venue does want everything cleared out that evening as they have the Saturday night crowd coming in, and the space gets packed for Packer games on Sundays.

Just a reminder if you're bringing your own controller, that's awesome, just mark it with your name somewhere.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend, and let's make it a great one!

Thanks to all who participated this weekend in Full Nelson 2, and the Tecmo Bowl tournament the night before.  Our venue change back to Boehmer's worked very well.  We ate copious amounts of sponsored pizza, and consumed other nutrients in the form of drink, all while playing games we all love.

To kick off things Friday, Brad Bell took home the Tecmo Bowl championship.    You can watch the entire stream here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05De6ceDXecImage may contain: 1 person, indoor

We presented @Nelson79 with his custom trophy dubbed "Lord Nelson's Cup" for his victory from Full Nelson in 2018 in the opening ceremonies.  We snapped a pick with him after. the tournament with it.

Image may contain: Levi LaCrosse, standing

Ultimately, he was unable to defend his title, and we crowned a new Full Nelson Champion : Timpapi, who defeated Gats in a Bills Giants revenge game.  Congrats @TimPapi!

The entire stream can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbfFQx_mcwg  We did have a few audio glitches, but all in all the stream went smoothly.  FYI Tom and company do get a bit mouthy later in the tournament as the nutrient filled liquids took over their bodies, but mostly Tom's though.

Image may contain: Timothy Olson, smiling, standing and indoor

In an unplanned 3rd place game, @Green Majik defeats the #1 seedDPS in a 3rd place game.  DPS is now back to back the #1 seed and a 4th place finisher for Full Nelson.  He was also 4th place in the Tecmo Bowl tournament!

Image may contain: Joseph Readitnweep Moore, standing

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing

A big thanks to the guys from Omaha for hanging out all weekend.  They aren't bad at TSB, but were amazing at Tecmo Bowl.  It's absolutely insane to see how good they are at that game.  Ben and Nate took 2nd and 3rd place respectively.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

We had a lot to give away at this tournament.  In addition to cash prizes, and free pizza, we gave away over $100 in bar tabs to those that stayed till the end, and all of the prizes you see here :

No photo description available.

Nick Schanz made out like a bandit getting both the signed Larry McCarren print and a 16bit SNES HD console from Gamerztek!

72679644_785889068531109_8052791263109316608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_eui2=AeEw93oNr17FgR39kyMcBGxNNMYrl1AwIKi3G7emTtm55ORiw05H70YutwDKLYC1wf9Zpr_x1F6t5BuIhucEAXjXV34DGZc25zYC_0W9AoIFjw&_nc_oc=AQkVbGgfcoQZYCsIfNJuEn4Os2vO9kLugd2D619IdkHF6JAHoGwkR4c4FvopFSaOSwk&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=a8517cd6c773ed6cdf95ab75becbea73&oe=5E2E1B9D

@allamerican1569 won the signed Reed jersey, and immediately put it on.  Sorry this picture doesn't do it justice.  He was tough to lock down doing Tom things.

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and indoor

Brad Bell wins the Arod figure!

73515566_2126615424301588_3191066739928465408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_eui2=AeGnQnvuLH6mUkeKMRMlSu8QENlSFDbnvZYk3IB2iKS7LCeb_s7YvswZwARx5Sgq5qiH_AZI5BzTx3cDJybccCXzGtgbhLMLDYEQgvfQ_yeUMw&_nc_oc=AQlKl5nM0LEpARMS_qVOcq1cDljdPLAnvgA2hkwbzgxTHYouN_bN96r-e7Qf-tE6fSM&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=6e1f20ebc150ef08a008e117f4d9b9fa&oe=5E2DC555

Other prize winners included Baconfan, Tim M, and Phil E.  Tom, Phil, and DKS also were random winners of bar tabs at the end for sticking it out to the finals.  DKS was still playing darts when I left the bar for the 2nd time bringing gear home.

All in all, we had a great time.  We got most of the competitors in a group photo, a few having to leave before we got to this point.  My apologies for the darkness on these, the bar and my flash weren't cooperating.

No photo description available.

I'm pleased with how everything was ran from the venue, and for all the support from Dallaire and Titletown Financial.  We lost a couple competitors due to a "Stage 4 clinger" situation, which thinned the herd a bit for everyone.  Apparently Tecmo players draw in the ladies, and they can't keep their hands off of us.  No means no.

Thanks for everyone who attended, and we can't wait for next year when we do it all over again!

• Knobbe unpinned this topic
15 hours ago, Sanchez said:

Fun location, fun crowd, generous prizes drinks and food. Greatly run tourney as well by Trojan as per usual. Will certainly play again barring any scheduling road blocks. And I'll get Gats one of these times.

Thanks for coming, and for the kind words!  I think this was your first hardcore tournament was it not?  Did you have any difficulty adjusting to the differences?

Great tournament run by Troy.  The value was unbelievable really.  For $20 - $30 entry you got entered into a free raffle with some great prizes (I won the signed Andre Reed jersey and $35 gift certificate to the bar), got a free drink, and there was free pizza coming out for hours during the tournament.  Top 2 players took home some good cash prizes as well.  The guys that came were all laid back and fun to hang out with.  Troy set up and tore down the whole tournament himself, set up the stream, and sat out playing to commentate all day and enter all the scores on challonge.   We were done with the whole tournament in less than 7 hours and everyone got at least 7 games in.  Truly an impressive effort.  Also, the bartenders and patrons of the bar were extremely friendly which made for an excellent time in-between games.   If you haven't been to a GBLAN Tournament yet, then I don't know what you are waiting for.  Troy's a one man show.  Oh yeah he sang the national anthem too.

Edited by allamerican1569

Great time in Green Bay at this tourney.  Troy got us involved with an original Tecmo Bowl tourney friday night.  Took part in the 6 game swiss format of Tecmo Super Bowl on Saturday.   Great weekend of TB & TSB.  A guy in our crew won a SNES clone system, and I won a large Mcfarland Aaron Rogers figure as well.  Lots of prizes given out.   

Definitely worth the 10 hour drive from Omaha with the crew.  We packed in a trip to Lambeau for a 30 minute tour of the stadium.  Excellent weekend.   

13 hours ago, trojan1979 said:

Thanks for coming, and for the kind words!  I think this was your first hardcore tournament was it not?  Did you have any difficulty adjusting to the differences?

First hardcore it was...I wouldn't call it major difficulty. I'm typically a .500 player in all of these tourneys so it turned out as expected. Although I came close against Joey in our first game. My particular match ups didn't favor a lot of subbing of WR's or TE's into weird spots. I think Tom S dived at me once for a sack and maybe Gats did once as well but that was it. I feel capable of playing either Hardcore or Madison style.

10 hours ago, Sanchez said:

First hardcore it was...I wouldn't call it major difficulty. I'm typically a .500 player in all of these tourneys so it turned out as expected. Although I came close against Joey in our first game. My particular match ups didn't favor a lot of subbing of WR's or TE's into weird spots. I think Tom S dived at me once for a sack and maybe Gats did once as well but that was it. I feel capable of playing either Hardcore or Madison style.

I feel like more people need to hear this.  The stigma around hardcore is absolutely ridiculous, and I used to buy into it.  If you're good at non lurching rules,  you'll still be good in hardcore, but it does require some consideration and some risk/reward that wouldn't otherwise be a factor in other tournaments.

Obviously if you're playing against teams like the Lions or Packers, and you have a slow QB, the risk is greater, and thus your playbook needs to take all of that into consideration.

We had at least 6 people who made it to their first ever GBLAN event, and they all had fun, and didn't complain about the rules one bit.  In fact, I think not having any gameplay restrictions went a long way into easing their transition into Tecmo.  In the last few games of group play, they were all playing their peers in ability, which is the beauty of Swiss rules.

I'm excited as we carve our own path in Tecmo, seeing where it leads.  I'm also looking forward to expanding the original Tecmo Bowl tournament moving forward.  Those of you who didn't participate in that event really missed out.

10 hours ago, Sanchez said:

I faced a couple nose tackle dives in an early game and successfully avoided those for big plays, but Tom S. hit me on a 4th down inside the 5 with one.  Ha.  That was  back breaker.  

5 minutes ago, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

I faced a couple nose tackle dives in an early game and successfully avoided those for big plays, but Tom S. hit me on a 4th down inside the 5 with one.  Ha.  That was  back breaker.  

Ouch!  Tom's pretty decent with that when he needs it.  The fact you were in that game with Tom says a lot about your ability already.  I can't wait to see how you continue to develop as a TSB player.

Great Tournament by Troy, I had a great run and more importantly, had fun with a lot of good dudes. BEAST matchups with legendary Tecmo ballers all day long like TundraYeti, Nelson79, DPS, Tom, GreenMajik and JoeyGats. I like the format of picking teams in tiers. My take on the hardcore format is that it just rules some of the playbook out, or you have to be smart picking your formations. 

I can't say enough about Trojan getting his WORK in setting up, officiating, administrating and streaming...TROJAN IS A GRINDER. Trojan even steps to the mic and kills the national anthem to get it started. It gives Jim Cornelison a run for his money. 

Other highlights include: LOW ENTRY FEE, free pizza, Tom's commentary, pass 3, awesome bartenders, hardly any downtime, and good brews, people and Tecmo.

I really still can't believe I won. As a wiser fella than myself once told me, sometimes you eat the bar, and well, sometimes the bar, it eats you. 

With all of my lovesauce,

TimPapi

On 10/25/2019 at 11:32 AM, TimPapi said:

Great Tournament by Troy, I had a great run and more importantly, had fun with a lot of good dudes. BEAST matchups with legendary Tecmo ballers all day long like TundraYeti, Nelson79, DPS, Tom, GreenMajik and JoeyGats. I like the format of picking teams in tiers. My take on the hardcore format is that it just rules some of the playbook out, or you have to be smart picking your formations. 

I can't say enough about Trojan getting his WORK in setting up, officiating, administrating and streaming...TROJAN IS A GRINDER. Trojan even steps to the mic and kills the national anthem to get it started. It gives Jim Cornelison a run for his money. 

Other highlights include: LOW ENTRY FEE, free pizza, Tom's commentary, pass 3, awesome bartenders, hardly any downtime, and good brews, people and Tecmo.

I really still can't believe I won. As a wiser fella than myself once told me, sometimes you eat the bar, and well, sometimes the bar, it eats you. 

With all of my lovesauce,

TimPapi

Congrats again on a great run.  Resilience would be the attribute I'd apply to your performance.  You were also funny on the microphone, and it's always great having you compete in these events.  Hopefully this confidence puts you back where you need to be as you compete in other tournaments moving forward into 2020.

I appreciate the great feedback, and am pleased you had a good time.

Great tournament as always, Trojan! The Friday night Tecmo Bowl was fantastic as well, nice to get to know a slightly different game from the best players in the country! Great seeing new faces at this event as well, many of whom looked forward to playing in future events. 

Thanks again to Troy for running a fun, well organized tournament.  I met some new people that signed up from the night before for the OG Tecmo Bowl Tournament.  Hopefully we can get the word out about that a bit more.  It's a different style of play but a lot of fun.  Congratulations to TImPapi for the win.  He was in the zone that night as I was last year.  Well deserved win.  And get a load of this sweet trophy.  It's a beast, solid and one of a kind custom made for this.  I'm really looking forward to next year.

Full Nelson Trophy.jpg

Edited by Nelson79

On 10/23/2019 at 7:25 AM, trojan1979 said:

Ouch!  Tom's pretty decent with that when he needs it.  The fact you were in that game with Tom says a lot about your ability already.  I can't wait to see how you continue to develop as a TSB player.

Tom was my opponent in the 1 game where I got absolutely annihilated.    :)

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Green Bay on Friday night to play Tecmo Bowl with 3 legends of the game and wasn't disappointed! Had a great showing against @tecmo_mad_brad and Nate. They beat me as expected but I made both games extremely close. Finished 4th in the tournament so that was great.

Saturday started off great. Finished as the #1 seed after round robin losing only to @TimPapi because I didn't get out of bounds and the clock ran out before I could attempt a game tying field goal. Went into bracket play and defeated Hank with a team I've only been a handful of time (the oilers) and moved forward until I got to @joeygats. A couple turnovers cost me that game but it's ok. It was really a wonderful time overall and I can't wait until next year.

Troy throws some incredible tournaments with great prizes! I promise you all the events he does are great and are a NEED in your tecmo life!

On 11/12/2019 at 7:23 PM, Dan S said:

Went up to Green Bay on Friday night to play Tecmo Bowl with 3 legends of the game and wasn't disappointed! Had a great showing against @tecmo_mad_brad and Nate. They beat me as expected but I made both games extremely close. Finished 4th in the tournament so that was great.

Saturday started off great. Finished as the #1 seed after round robin losing only to @TimPapi because I didn't get out of bounds and the clock ran out before I could attempt a game tying field goal. Went into bracket play and defeated Hank with a team I've only been a handful of time (the oilers) and moved forward until I got to @joeygats. A couple turnovers cost me that game but it's ok. It was really a wonderful time overall and I can't wait until next year.

Troy throws some incredible tournaments with great prizes! I promise you all the events he does are great and are a NEED in your tecmo life!

That's some high praise bud!  You gotta bust through that 4th place ceiling!