Nameless Loser

Any advice for Boston tourism?

Following the Freedom Trail is generally what you should do if you've never been to Boston as it passes by many historic sites and gives you a good feel for the bulk of the city. It's about 2-3 miles and I believe it starts in Boston Common (there are a couple of trails now I think). You can always deviate from it if you wish. Italian food and pastries in the North End is also a pretty typical tourist thing, but nonetheless it's still pretty good. Also, Cambridge is probably worth seeing (Harvard Sq) and Sommerville has some pretty cool spots. Those places are "outside" Boston, but they are easy to get to on the T.  I usually end up spending time in Back Bay when I've gone mostly because I knew people at BU.

15 hours ago, Nameless Loser said:

One of my friends is going to be in the area soon for a week. I know @arncoemis relatively close, at least closer than I am. Any thoughts, even if it's just "do the things everyone does"? Can be day trips out from the city as well.

I'm in Boston 2x a week on average for work - live about 2 hours from there- I can defin give some advice of cool things to do & what to stay away from!

If want to have  them him me up via email I'll give some advice!

[email protected]

If they want great place to eat what’s considered a must is located in the “North End” - Dulce Vita. (Translates to- its a good life) 

but thats the place in Boston need to go if visiting.  

Sox game if they’re home - BUT make sure no matter what do not buy any seats lower level on 1st base side as there are obstructions “pillars holding up the tier above” that the seats are very cheap for bc you are literally sitting facing a pole the entire game. 

*a must is the sausage and peppers guy that’s outside of Fenway - directly across from the Ted Williams statue.  Don’t waste time and of the other vendors - that is the best one hands down.  The guy owns the sausage peppers cart put his 2 kids through college by selling sausage and peppers at 81 baseball games a year and no other job.  Needless to say if had to choose going to Dolce Vita in north end or the sausage guy outside Fenway I woudl always choose sausage cart guy. 

Stay away from the tourist areas as traffic is insane.  Don’t go to Salem or Plymouth Rock (unless it’s close to Halloween - Salem is cool month of Oct but nothing special rest of year - watch a YouTube video about the witch trials from 1700s get more out of than the Salem tourist traps billed as haunted witches of Salem etx. 

If have a free night and they’re home go to the Nashua NH - Silver Knights  minor league game - it’s a 30 min ride or even better is to hit Pawtucket Red Sox game.  paw-Sox games are prob the most draws to than any other minor league team bc it’s located so close to Boston (45 min drive) 

Edited by arncoem

If want to do shopping go to Nashua NH- it’s the border town / City of NH to MA and Nh has no sales tax so pretty much everyone goes there from MA shopping at the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua.  

If want good pizza good luck - there’s none in Boston. Gotta take a 2 hour ride to New Haven CT - where Can go on a pizza trip as Modern (I consider 1), Sally’s, Pepe’s (I don’t like Pepe but it always wins #1 pizza award for uSA), and Zuppardi’s are located.  Bar Pizza is pretty good too & a LOT of ppl actually come to New Haven CT - some from VERY FAR away, just to try the pizza at ea of the 5 places mentioned.