Garden City, NY - 08/10/19 - LI Retro Tecmo Tourney

image.png

http://expo.liretro.com/

When: Saturday, August 10th, 2019- Registration starts @ 10:00 AM EST; Setup starts @ 11:00 AM; Play will start @ 12:00 PM EST.

Location: Cradle of Aviation Museum, Charles Lindbergh Blvd, Garden City, NY 11530

Maximum Number of Participants: 24

This Tournament is part of the 2019 NY Tecmo Series: Sign up for this tournament and the 2019 New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament on October 19th and receive 10% off!

Sign-Up: Tournament is Free for first time tournament players; $25 cash buy-in in person for anyone who has participated in a Tecmo tournament before

Tourney Format: Tournament will consist of players drafting two teams in a snake draft. Teams will then be entered in a large single elimination bracket. To avoid facing one's other team, selections for each player will be placed on opposite ends of the bracket. For a tournament of more than 14 players, two separate drafts will take place for each side of the bracket as to avoid a player facing off against their own team. Restrictions on teams may be placed based on the number of participants on the day of the tournament (e.g.- no San Fran)*

Prizes: Cash prizes will be awarded to top participants. All participants will be eligible to win a raffle prize just for entering.  Top first time player will receive one free future entry into any Northeast Tecmo Tournament!

Equipment: We need Nintendos, TVs, Controllers, Carts! If you are able to bring any of these in working condition, please let us know what you can bring and how many of each. If you are able to provide any television sets, please let us know the size and any kind of hookup (RF Switch/AV Cable).

How to Register: Sign-up at NortheastTecmo.com !

Rules:

Equipment Failure: If equipment fails during the game, games will be replayed from the start unless it is halftime. After halftime, scores are taken from the half and another half is played. Scores from each half are added together to form final score. Ties are allowed in pool play.  If the game is tied in elimination play, then a new game is started with the first person to score being the winner.  Any malfunction caused by human error may result in an automatic forfeit due to the discretion of the tournament organizers.
Onside Kicks: Onside Kicks are okay anytime (aka, "at your own risk").
Lurching: Lurching is not allowed (dive tackling over the line of scrimmage with a DL). DL use is allowed, but you must either go outside the Offensive Tackle or grapple an OL to rush.
WR/TE at RB: Running the ball with a WR or TE from the RB position is prohibited.  WRs or TEs are allowed to run the ball on reverses.

Questions: Feel free to post questions about the tournament below or you can direct them to NYTecmo at tecmobowl.org 

image.png

*-If the same team makes the finals from both sides of the bracket, a Pro Bowl matchup will be played. If the same player makes the finals from both sides of the bracket, a champion will automatically be crowned.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2019 at 4:22 PM, Bad Moon Rison said:

image.png

http://expo.liretro.com/

When: Saturday, August 10th, 2019- Registration starts @ 10:00 AM EST; Setup starts @ 11:00 AM; Play will start @ 12:00 PM EST.

Location: Cradle of Aviation Museum, Charles Lindbergh Blvd, Garden City, NY 11530

Maximum Number of Participants: 28

This Tournament is part of the 2019 NY Tecmo Series: Participation in this tournament and the Hudson Valley Tournament on July 20th will grant you free entry to the 2019 New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament on October 19th!

Sign-Up: Tournament is Free for first time tournament players; $20 cash buy-in in person for anyone who has participated in a Tecmo tournament before

Tourney Format: Tournament will consist of players drafting two teams in a snake draft. Teams will then be entered in a large single elimination bracket. To avoid facing one's other team, selections for each player will be placed on opposite ends of the bracket. For a tournament of more than 14 players, two separate drafts will take place for each side of the bracket as to avoid a player facing off against their own team. Restrictions on teams may be placed based on the number of participants on the day of the tournament (e.g.- no San Fran)*

Prizes: Cash prizes will be awarded to top participants. All participants will be eligible to win a raffle prize just for entering.  Top first time player will receive one free future entry into any Northeast Tecmo Tournament!

Equipment: We need Nintendos, TVs, Controllers, Carts! If you are able to bring any of these in working condition, please let us know what you can bring and how many of each. If you are able to provide any television sets, please let us know the size and any kind of hookup (RF Switch/AV Cable).

How to Register: Sign-up for tournaments will be available through NortheastTecmo.com soon!

Rules:

Equipment Failure: If equipment fails during the game, games will be replayed from the start unless it is halftime. After halftime, scores are taken from the half and another half is played. Scores from each half are added together to form final score. Ties are allowed in pool play.  If the game is tied in elimination play, then a new game is started with the first person to score being the winner.  Any malfunction caused by human error may result in an automatic forfeit due to the discretion of the tournament organizers.
Onside Kicks: Onside Kicks are okay anytime (aka, "at your own risk").
Lurching: Lurching is not allowed (dive tackling over the line of scrimmage with a DL). DL use is allowed, but you must either go outside the Offensive Tackle or grapple an OL to rush.
WR/TE at RB: Running the ball with a WR or TE from the RB position is prohibited.  WRs or TEs are allowed to run the ball on reverses.

Questions: Feel free to post questions about the tournament below or you can direct them to NYTecmo at tecmobowl.org 

image.png

*-If the same team makes the finals from both sides of the bracket, a Pro Bowl matchup will be played. If the same player makes the finals from both sides of the bracket, a champion will automatically be crowned.

Who the hell is running a Shaq Fu Tournament?

One of these days we'll be able to afford the Tecmo party bus to shuttle people to these tournaments.

LIRR kinda goes out to the area. If you can get into Penn Station and take LIRR out, it's about a $10 cab ride to the venue from the station. I might be able to convince someone to do a pickup from the station.

I think the Shaq Fu tournament is more thought of as a fun joke.  I also want to put in a plug for the NHL94 tournament as those guys do an excellent job of running it.  Highly recommended.

• Knobbe unpinned this topic
On 8/13/2019 at 11:03 AM, Knobbe said:

How'd this turn out?

I ended up winning Packers over Oilers in the final. My two teams were Indy from the Afc and green bay from the nfc.

I was just short of making the afc final but lost in a CLE - Indy game where QB browns tore me up for over 400 yards.

won 28-21 in the final GB over HOU

Thanks to all who came out to the Long Island Retro Tournament!  This is the third year that we've had a tournament at the Cradle of Aviation Museum and the 4th year at the Expo!  The top finishers for the tournament are:

1) Matty D

2) Brett F

3) Pat H

Scott S, Danny K, and Bill M all made the quarters. Brett F., finishing second, was the best performing newcomer, so he'll get free admission to the New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament on October 19th.

Special thanks to George, Chris, and Joel at LI Retro allowing us to do this for the past four years.  The finals were exciting and the Pat H victory over Matty D in OT was especially nailbiting. Special props to Pat H for taking both his teams (CLE, ATL) to the semi-finals.

You can check out photos here: https://www.facebook.com/NYTecmo/

Thanks again to the NHL 94 crew for sharing this experience with us and helping out when we needed it. Special thanks to NHL 94 guru John for participating in his first Tecmo tournament (!), and my personal friend John and his son for helping set up and break down.

On a personal note, this was the first time I didn't play in a tournament I have run. It was definitely a different experience, but still had a lot of fun.  I played in NHL 94 again and finished in the top 8.  Every NHL94 tournament I have ever played I have finished in the top 8, but no better, no worse.

As for people curious about the format, we had 16 participants (8 of whom were new) where each person drafted two teams, one AFC and one NFC. The new guys all drafted first with the veterans drafting in descending order based on tournament experience and success.  Since there are only 28 teams, a few teams (HOU, RAI, GIA, PHI) were allowed to be drafted twice.

@knightsof3@MattyD@Thrash

We did a draft where the new guys drafted first, and then players who played in tournaments before drafted. We ordered it based on tournament experience and results. Matty D got the last pick in both conferences (Colts and Packers).

Yes, it is crazy that in the two drafting tournaments this year that the Packers have been Champs. It's a testament to how good those players are.  Also, IMO, the Packers are the best out of the crap teams. I think of them as a lesser version of the Falcons (with the bonus of Bob Nelson).