First live tournament. Advice?

Doing My first live tournament and Don't know what to expect. (Tecmo Madison rules) any advice?  Another main problem I have is, I have no one to practice against except the computer. But that's way too easy. Any roms that would be comprable to playing a live human opponent? Or anyone in the Baltimore area want to get together for some games? Thanks

2 hours ago, Martin black said:

Doing My first live tournament and Don't know what to expect. (Tecmo Madison rules) any advice?  Another main problem I have is, I have no one to practice against except the computer. But that's way too easy. Any roms that would be comprable to playing a live human opponent? Or anyone in the Baltimore area want to get together for some games? Thanks

Trying to help a new bud here...

Are you saying you are hosting, or participating in your first tournament?  Each Tecmo tournament varies, but typically speaking most established tournaments will ban defensive line lurching, and allowing a WR or TE to run the ball on non reverse plays.  Outside of that it's basically game on.

This site is a great resource, but there are a lot more people out there that are fond of Tecmo, that don't visit this site on a regular basis, or haven't ever discovered it.  I'd suggest making some posts in some video game related groups in your geographic area.  Try to find a local pub or sports bar that you can gather at with a couple of TV's and make some friends.  Usually that bar can help you get the word out and help draw in some new players.

Playing against the CPU only does so much.  You don't account for the variable coverage and movements from a man defender, or the mind games played in the passing and juke games on offense.

You may want to brush up on some videos of high level play.  Head on over to the Retro Sports Gamer Channel on youtube, and watch some amazing Tecmo being played.

There is the TPC2 championship video which just happened in April :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGk4vlME4wQ

and it's associated championship series between Darthrockman and Mort here : 

There is also an online tournament with lots of commentary that's actually in progress right now.  you can catch the weekly vids in this playlist :

Good luck!

Hey bud, dunno if this is too late or not but in regards to tourneys:

Obviously have fun, win or lose don't let it deter you from having a good time. 

agree with trojan, the computer you can only do so much with (playing against another person will always throw in wrenches into your scheme while the computer will do some foolish things) however if you're stuck w/ the computer, play season mode and try going undefeated, the computer will progressively get harder and harder and it'll be more difficult moving the ball vs them (especially w/ the run). 

At the tourney, personally i'd try and get as many pick up games as possible, before the tourney or even after (maybe even if there's a break). Any experience helps and you'll never know if you can pick up on something. Every tourney i've been to has been great, by that i mean the group of people have been nothing but nice and are willing to help out and explain to you why somethings are the way they are in the game. Very welcoming community.

If you're unsure of something, ask someone. There's usually no dumb questions. If there are i haven't heard it yet.

www.tecmogeek.com is another great site, it tells you the best players to use offensively/defensively for every team. Helps immensely w/ defense as to who to take and who to scheme against on offense. 

As for team rankings, if you need help with that. Usually the tourney will provide a sheet for rankings, and if you call something that's really lopsided usually the other player will tell you so, if not, still not the end of the world. Learning experience/all for fun anyways. Plus if if makes you feel better i called zona/cincy vs mort in my first tourney, so there's that. 

that's all i can think of for now. Best of luck in your tourney bud! Hope you have a great time. 

Edited by kmolnar3298

@Nameless Loser Lives in D.c. area I believe  !? Morts Tecmo blog has all kinds of tips on it at Tecmo101.wordpress.com ( search Tecmo 101 at Google)  . @joeygats is running an online tecmo rookie league I believe. Good luck

Image result for retro sports gamer tier listHere is a general Tier List to know the quality of each team.  When you are new it's easier to pick a team than call a matchup for most players.  For all teams you should have an idea on who to start on offense and what playbook you will use to utilize the strengths they have and what players you will control on defense.  When calling a matchup try to call 2 teams that are close to equal in quality and you can play a quality game with either.  In a Madison style tournament be prepared with some matches before hand that fit your style of play. If you are good at running here are some matches DEN vs. SD, CIN vs. CHI, CHI vs. RAI, KC Vs. CHI, NO vs. PHX, DET vs. CIN, DET vs. CHI, SD vs. DET.  If you are good at Passing here are some matches GB vs. CLE, MIA vs. RAMS, MIA vs. KC, BUF Vs. HOU, SF vs. HOU, KC Vs. PHI, CLE vs. ATL, PHI vs. MIA, PHI vs. RAMS.

Here is my tier list which is pretty similar. Tier5 above is one thats too big. I definitely wouldn't recommend GB or CLE vs IND. Don't blindly following tiers as some teams can jump tiers in certain matchups. Whether or not you can tap fast is also a big influence on the type of matchup you should choose. For example if you can't tap fast you may want to avoid a run heavy match like CHI-CIN

Here is a google doc that will try and give an opinion on a matchup as well as the strengths and weaknesses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0sntWyYUWOZ0xVncnGATONP57lnqFUZuIhDgYoh2Z8/edit#gid=626874606

In the chart below avoid any match that is green or read. Grey matches aren't really recommended but a certain player may be able to make them work. 

image.thumb.png.9cd32b5fed5b7bf7919dbfd412ef2954.png

Tier 1 good matches:

SF-HOU    

NYG-BUF 

Tier 2  good matches

PHI-RAI

KC-PHI

CHI-CIN (tier jump)

Tier 3  good matches

RAM-MIA

CIN-MIA

RAM-MIN (tier jump)

CIN-TB (tier jump)

DET-SD (tier jump)

Tier 4  good matches

MIN-WAS

Tier 5 good matches

NYJ-DAL

NO-PHX

ATL-NO

DAL-DEN

NO-PIT

DAL-PIT

Tier 6  good matches

PIT-PHX

CLE-GB

I tend to find SEA-NE and NE-IND somewhat mismatched but they are fairly common and a lot of junk can happen that make them workable. 

In general try and get a matchup where you think you can play with either team or that has a style that you are good at playing at. 

On 5/26/2019 at 7:25 AM, Martin black said:

Its the tournament in NJ on  june 1st.

My best advice is when you're at that tourney be a sponge for info. Soak it all in. Talk to players, see what strategies are used, etc. Once you're knocked out of the tourney be sure to stick around and watch games and socialize. I don't really have anyone to play other than at tourneys but the amount of knowledge I've gained just by hanging out and talking to better players has been tremendous.

17 hours ago, Martin black said:

Was outed with a NE vs SEA matchup. I've never really played with either team. It totally threw me off. 

Its a tough one for sure.. i used to love sea in it but lost the last 4 times so now i dont know maybe ne is way to go

Edited by joeygats

20 hours ago, Martin black said:

Was outed with a NE vs SEA matchup. I've never really played with either team. It totally threw me off. 

For Madison rules it hurts not to know how to play with every team with the possible exception of IND.  I played a game against a DC player online who seemed interested in traveling to tournament maybe you can go to tournaments together it always helps to have a travel buddy.