Playoff calculations and teams

I've run into a slight issue with my base 16 team rom project involving the Playoffs.

The problem I've encountered involves the calculations of 4 divisions in 2 division conferences going into an 8 team playoff. Instead of getting 2 division winners and 2 wild cards per conference, it makes 3 division winners and 1 wild card by including the 12 removed teams and 2 removed divisions from both conferences in the calculations.

I've looked through resources on here and I've searched through both the CIFL and Buck's Tecmo Street roms for where the calculations are how I can modify them properly, but I haven't quite found the right fix for the issue. Every fix I've tried to implement has either broken the rom or caused the Bills to win multiple spots.

I've included the latest working version of the ROM in this post.

Any info will help.

Tecmo Super Bowl 16 Team 3-21-19.nes

I created a thread several years ago that documented my quest to figure out what you're trying to do.  I don't think it will give you everything you need, but it might help you see what's going on by looking at the cifl rom, which is what i looked at to see the differences in code.  I think jstout made an excellent thread that explains what all of the code is doing, so you should try to find that one as well.

Its kinda tricky. There is more to fix besides the division champ and wild card calcluations.

You also have to change the whole playoff structure and how it draws the teams for the playoff bracket one the regular season is over

The reason why you get buffalo vs buffalo is the memory locations that are now empty for the wild card games default to zero (buffalos team id) hence why you get buffalo vs buffalo for at least the first 4 games that no longer exist.

• 4 weeks later...

I took a look at the rom and there may be bigger issues than the playoff structure.  I don't know how you set the league up, but the standings screens don't show the proper teams.  I can't immediately tell if this is an issue with the code related to displaying the divisions you choose from the standings submenu or the way you determined which teams are in which conference/division and I don't have time to dig around the code to find out, let alone fix it.  But if you can figure that out -- personally I'd have the AFC be the last 8 AFC teams (CLE-SEA) and have the NFC be the first 8 NFC teams (WAS-GB) -- I can probably just copy/paste the hex code from my 8 team playoff notes and see if that helps. 

I didn't even realize that the standings were displaying like that, and it was a simple too.

I had to change x23F73 to 08 from 0C and x23F75 to 0C from 10.

Now there is a slightly different issue with one team winning 2 duplicate divisions. Here is a shortened gif of what it looks like.

kAw3cNT.gif

It even plays the division cutscene twice over.

I'll try changing the AFC and NFC and see what happens.

Tecmo Super Bowl 16 Team 3-21-19 - Fix.nes

Edited by Justice Weller Colde

According to my notes, the code at x2328e tells the game where the NFC starts in terms of figuring playoff teams.  The default is x0E, but since your NFC starts with the Steelers, you'd want this to be x08.  That didn't fix your specific problem here, but it was one issue I noticed in your code and there must be a lot more.

I'll try my best to help you out, but my notes -- which seem to be incomplete -- are from 2015 when I finally figured this stuff out.  I haven't messed around with this aspect of the game since then so my notes don't make as much sense to me as I'm sure they did back then.  Anyway, I attached them so you can see what I was able to grasp from all the posts made by people who know infinitely more than I ever will.

I'll say this though: you clearly know enough to make a 16 team rom.  It will be a lot of work because I know how tedious it is to make a new rom with fewer teams and switch the divisions and conferences and whatnot; but, if you're able to make a rom with the AFC set to be CLE-SEA and the NFC set to be WAS-GB, I can probably fix your playoffs in about an hour.

8TEAMPLAYOFFNOTES.txt

Edited by adscl84

• 5 weeks later...

I've changed almost everything over to CLE-SEA/WAS-GB both visually and functionally.

The only issue I have now is getting TEAM CONTROL settings to work because I have absolutely no idea how it actually works, but other than that, it works.

Tecmo Super Bowl 16 Team 6-5-2019.nes

• 7 months later...

Sorry I took so long to respond; I was going through some shit this summer and just forgot about pretty much everything.

Try this ROM.  This is one I was working on when trying to figure out the playoff code about 4 years ago.  That is pretty much the only changes I made, except for some reason I have teams that aren't supposed to be in the ROM scheduled each week.  You know how to eliminate teams and whatnot, so that's all that needs to be done I think.  AFC should be CLE-SEA and NFC should be WAS-GB.  There's an old thread from pambazos88 that explains how to fix the team control screen, so search for that and you'll be all set.

I'll try to be more responsive, but I haven't touched TSB editing since early last Spring so it'll take some time for me to get back up to speed.

Tecmo Super Bowl (U).nes

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2019 at 10:03 PM, Justice Weller Colde said:

I didn't even realize that the standings were displaying like that, and it was a simple too.

I had to change x23F73 to 08 from 0C and x23F75 to 0C from 10.

Now there is a slightly different issue with one team winning 2 duplicate divisions. Here is a shortened gif of what it looks like.

kAw3cNT.gif

It even plays the division cutscene twice over.

I'll try changing the AFC and NFC and see what happens.

Tecmo Super Bowl 16 Team 3-21-19 - Fix.nes 384.02 kB · 2 downloads

Hey, did you ever figure out how to fix the duplicate standings issue?