Knobbe

NFL 2019-20 Season Discussion

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/17/daniel-jones-giants-starting-quarterback-eli-manning-benched

(0-2)  image.thumb.png.046492d4d8c3b5f3c88badc5375cab97.png

spot on

On 4/26/2019 at 2:06 PM, Knobbe said:

The Gettleman era of the NY Giants

giphy.gif

On 3/22/2019 at 3:35 AM, Bolt said:

The best part of waking up is that Jason Witten will be back on the Cowboys next season !

Folgers

SevereWellgroomedCrocodileskink-size_res

I'm interested in how that Oakland-Minnesota game unfolds because I don't know what to make of either team.  If Minnesota gets behind can they rally?  Is that Packer defense truly elite? Will the Raiders get anything going against the Viking defense? Was their week 1 vs Denver a fluke as Denver just isn't very good?

I'm also interested in Cleveland vs the Rams. Still no real answer to whether or not the Browns are for real. The Rams are favored by 3 and winning here is another push for them back to the Super Bowl. Sunday Night got a compelling game.

Finally KC vs Baltimore should be a lot of fun and the game that will be on my TV, if i even have a chance to watch it, on Sunday at noon.  I have the option of flipping to the Minnesota game as both should be on CBS/FOX as KC and Minny are considered regional teams for me.

Chicago vs Washington on Monday seems like it will be painful to watch. Same for Tenn-Jax on Thursday though I am interested in seeing Gardner Minshew in action, a statement which I seriously make.

Week 3 Picks

I got exactly half of the games right last week. Let's see if I can improve. First team is my pick to win:

TEN-JAX

BUF-CIN

DAL-MIA

GB-DEN

ATL-IND

KC-BAL

OAK-MIN

NE-NYJ

DET-PHI

ARI-CAR

TB-NYG

HOU-LAC

SEA-NO

SF-PIT

LAR-CLE

CHI-WAS

I did all of these off the top of my head, except DET-PHI and ARI-CAR I watched NFL.com's video analysis. 

I'm only picking teams I WANT to Win, this season:  last week - 6-10 - was wacker than Week 1 (6.5-9.5)

Wk 3

JAX>ten, CIN>buf, MIA>cow, DEN>g.b, ATL>ind, K.C>bal, MIN>oak, NYJ>n.e, DET>phi, ARZ>car, GIA>t.b, LAC>hou, SEA>n.o, S.F>pit, CLE>lar, CHI>wak

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

I'm only picking teams I WANT to Win, this season:  last week - 6-10 - was wacker than Week 1 (6.5-9.5)

Wk 3

JAX>ten, CIN>buf, MIA>cow, DEN>g.b, ATL>ind, K.C>bal, MIN>oak, NYJ>n.e, DET>phi, ARZ>car, GIA>t.b, LAC>hou, SEA>n.o, S.F>pit, CLE>lar, CHI>wak

We all know the Jets are going to get killed. The Giants also look pretty awful, I think Tampa will beat them. The Raiders are my homer pick, I think they have a chance against the Vikings.

Week 3 Picks

TEN-JAX   -  JAX, just got a Minshew feeling. 

BUF-CIN    -   BUF, people are sleeping on the Bills

DAL-MIA    -   DAL. What is happening in Miami is turribad. 

GB-DEN    -    GB   -  This defense is much improved, and they have faced the 2nd most drives so far 

ATL-IND    -    This to me is one of the toughest. I'm going ATL. Quinn has the reins back on his D. I believe in Brissett but hunch is ATL. 

KC-BAL     -   KC. REALLY looking forward to this game. I see lots of points. Ravens are beaten up, and I see my homie winning a shootout for the home team. 

OAK-MIN   -   MIN   -   I think Cousins finds some rhythm this game. Home game. MIN wins

NE-NYJ     -   Death Star franchise wins

DET-PHI     -   PHI is all kinds of banged up but they still have O line, RBs, and ZZ Top (Wentz to Ertz). PHI wins at home

ARI-CAR      -  ARI  I think this game has no alibi, and ARI beats the Panthers with a late Murray drive. 

TB-NYG     -   TB   -  That Giants defense is no bueno. I like Daniel Jones, but he's taking an L in his 1st start. 

HOU-LAC     -   HOU   - I'm predicting some Watson magic here. Of course after he has been the punching bag to the Chargers front. 

SEA-NO      -   SEA   I think SEA wins a closer than expected. 27 -17 ish?

SF-PIT       -    SF   -   Niners are slowly turning the corner.

LAR-CLE      -   RAMS   -  I have no idea what CLE is gonna come out and play like. Talent is there...

CHI-WAS   -    CHI   -  Bears better on both sides. If Mitchell not Mitch protects the ball, Bears win easy

27 minutes ago, kamphuna8 said:

Week 3 Picks

TEN-JAX   -  JAX, just got a Minshew feeling. 

BUF-CIN    -   BUF, people are sleeping on the Bills

DAL-MIA    -   DAL. What is happening in Miami is turribad. 

GB-DEN    -    GB   -  This defense is much improved, and they have faced the 2nd most drives so far 

ATL-IND    -    This to me is one of the toughest. I'm going ATL. Quinn has the reins back on his D. I believe in Brissett but hunch is ATL. 

KC-BAL     -   KC. REALLY looking forward to this game. I see lots of points. Ravens are beaten up, and I see my homie winning a shootout for the home team. 

OAK-MIN   -   MIN   -   I think Cousins finds some rhythm this game. Home game. MIN wins

NE-NYJ     -   Death Star franchise wins

DET-PHI     -   PHI is all kinds of banged up but they still have O line, RBs, and ZZ Top (Wentz to Ertz). PHI wins at home

ARI-CAR      -  ARI  I think this game has no alibi, and ARI beats the Panthers with a late Murray drive. 

TB-NYG     -   TB   -  That Giants defense is no bueno. I like Daniel Jones, but he's taking an L in his 1st start. 

HOU-LAC     -   HOU   - I'm predicting some Watson magic here. Of course after he has been the punching bag to the Chargers front. 

SEA-NO      -   SEA   I think SEA wins a closer than expected. 27 -17 ish?

SF-PIT       -    SF   -   Niners are slowly turning the corner.

LAR-CLE      -   RAMS   -  I have no idea what CLE is gonna come out and play like. Talent is there...

CHI-WAS   -    CHI   -  Bears better on both sides. If Mitchell not Mitch protects the ball, Bears win easy

Great minds think alike, we made all the same picks except for TEN-JAX and I picked my Raiders.

10 hours ago, BO FB Offtackle Left said:

Great minds think alike, we made all the same picks except for TEN-JAX and I picked my Raiders.

I'm high on the Raiders but losing Abram ( and to be truthful AB ) sucks. Good friend from college is Raiders fan from Berkeley. I just really feel for Raiders fans man. I like Gruden as coach, and like the Mike Mayock as GM idea because he does know talent but the AB trade was complete and abject failure. Love Jacobs and I believe in Carr. Still some good pieces for Carr to sling it to (and I think Renfrow is gonna Kupp it up) but REALLY was looking forward to seeing Carr play with AB. 

Place your bets--how much you wanna bet that the recent slate of injuries to both Big Ben and Drew Brees will foreshadow their inevitable retirements following the 2019 season?

Okay, here's my new playoff bracket:

AFC East:  New England Patriots unless Tom Brady starts falling apart in week's 3 or 4, and the Buffalo Bills become this season's version of the 2015 Carolina Panthers.  Considering that the start to their schedule has been nothing short of piss easy, I have a hard time believing that even if Brady never played a down of football for the rest of his life and suffers the mother of all injuries next week, the Patriots will somehow find a way to reach the Super Bowl with...insert disposable quarterback here.  And here's an added bonus:  If Andrew Luck does have second thoughts about retirement and decides to try and rejoin the league, look out for the Patriots to jump all over him at a bargain bin price, and make way to be Brady's replacement.  Then enjoy another five years or so of Patriot dominance.

AFC North:  With the Steeler losing Big Ben for the season--and possibly for good--it's basically going to be a dog-fight between the Browns and Ravens for AFC North supremacy.  Meaning we can finally see a fruitful rivalry between two ball clubs with an entangled and bitter history, yet nothing of any interest to show for it since the Browns' reinstatement into the league.  The Ravens look to win the AFC North for consecutive seasons for the first time since 2011-2012, though the Browns look to escape from the basement and finally crack the playoff spot.  If I have to take a guess, I'd say the Ravens will win the AFC North.  But, having said all that, if the Browns can upset the Rams and then take Baltimore the week after, things could potentially be on the up-and-up for Cleveland at last.

AFC South:  The Colts were easily the heavy favorites to win the division if not compete for a Super Bowl until QB Andrew Luck decided to retire during the preseason.  If not for the fact that the entire division is now a dumpster fire thanks to each team looking to compete to see which culture is the shittiest of them all, the Colts would be joining the likes of Miami and the Giants for possible worst team in the entire NFL.  Texans have no offensive lines, and they dealt away one of their best defensive players in Jadaeveon Clowney.  Jaguars QB Nick Foles is hurt, while Jalen Ramsey wants to be traded elsewhere.  And the Titans are the epitome of mediocrity with an injury-prone and average-at-best QB Marcus Mariota.  Who do I pick?  Honestly, unless they get hit hard by the injury bug like in 2017, I'm going to have to pick the Texans to win the AFC South yet again.  Probably going to win it at 9-7 knowing who we're dealing with when it comes to coach Bill O'Brien.

AFC West:  Considering just how past their prime the Chargers are, the Raiders are still rebuilding, and the Broncos are a steaming pile of dogshit who thinks that the easiest fix for an inept offense is a defensive head coach, it pretty much goes without saying that the Chiefs will once again be heavily favored to win the entire division, if not the entire conference yet again.  But if Patrick Mahomes gets hurt, then the doors are open for the Chargers.

NFC East:  It's quite shocking how the Dallas Cowboys appears to be the most stable organization in the entire division right about now.  The Eagles are a close second; QB Carson Wentz just can't stay healthy.  And obviously, nobody's picking the Giants or Redskins to win anything other than a contest of who can lose the most games.  Right now, the team to beat has to be the Cowboys.

NFC North:  While the Bears defense is definitely an elite unit still, it's offense is what holds them back (at least they now have a kicker).  The Lions are not going to be terrible, but considering how the locker room doesn't seem to view coach Matt Patricia to be all that credible (probably because he is driving around in a cart and having the guys do all the heavy lifting instead of getting down and dirty with the rest of them), and the team under Matthew Stafford has yet to finish in a Seed higher than 6.  That pretty much leaves us with the Vikings with their questionable offensive line versus the Packers and the primidone elite QB Aaron Rodgers.  And honestly, as much of a drama queen as he is, I'd still go with Rodgers to take back the NFC North from their hated rivals.

NFC South:  As I predicted earlier on, the division overall is going to absolutely kill each other.  And there you have it; Drew Brees is showing medical signs that point towards this being the beginning of the end for him, and Cam Newton is getting massacred by an offensive line that might as well not show up at all.  Now both elite QB's are out due to injuries, and it's doubtful either team can keep this up.  This pretty much leaves us with the Falcons and Bucs--neither team having any sort of a defense, and both QB's being question marks when it comes to talent.  Either way, I'm probably am going to pick the Falcons again, but it wouldn't surprise me anymore if the Bucs somehow rise through the ashes.

NFC West:  Every team in this division save the dumpster fire Cardinals has some stake at actually winning the division.  The 49ers have a piss-easy schedule while QB Jimmy Garoppolo looks to be a premiere QB going forward; the Seahawks, while still rebuilding and having no offensive line to speak of, still has the best culture in the entire conference (as well as the best QB in Russell Wilson); and while the Rams are showing signs of Super Bowl fatigue, still have all the major pieces except Todd Gurley to make at least one more shot at a Super Bowl run.  A tough one to nail down, but in all seriousness, I'd probably have to go with the 49ers.  I'm picking the 49ers to win the conference only to be bounced in the first round of the playoffs by the number 5 seed.

And so, I think it's safe to say that there are about 20 serious playoff contenders right now, and four of them make up the entire AFC South.  The rest of the playoff contenders would have to be Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Green Bay, Kansas City, LA Chargers, LA Rams, Minnesota, New England, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Tampa Bay.  And to be fair, if I were to do a Power Rankings, those sixteen teams would all make up the upper-half of my list with only the Detroit Lions and Houston Texans being ranked number's 17 and 18.

16 hours ago, BO FB Offtackle Left said:

We all know the Jets are going to get killed.

Hey - they don't call him Luke SkyFalker for no reason.  The Force will be used, and images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2nYwOkAyDC1fp8WIx81L

... it's not over till the fat jukebox sung (Kenny)

Edited by Bolt

9 hours ago, Bolt said:

Hey - they don't call him Luke SkyFalker for no reason.  The Force will be used, and

... it's not over till the fat jukebox sung (Kenny)

This is one of those 'I'll eat a fistful of pubes' bets if the Jets can beat the Patriots this weekend.

Unrelated but related, I am starting to feel a twinge of empathy for you sad motherfaulkers who have to watch your terrible teams languish throughout another year of mediocrity. It's gotta be depressing. The Patriots organization really did break the NFL.

So, the media raises holy hell every time a team needs a QB and they don't hire Colin Kaepernick, and yet that same media will lead the angry mob to force the NFL/NFL team into cutting a player over an accusation and deny him due process.  Now, all that it takes to sabotage, say, the New England Patriots is for somebody to decide to accuse Tom Brady of running a rape train, and he'll be barred from the NFL and his legacy would be utterly destroyed.  I may be sick and tired of the New England Patriots and cannot wait until their dynasty finally ends, but I rather it not end that way over what could possibly be false and malicious accusations.

It should be innocent until proven guilty; not guilty based on the charges.  Antonio Brown may be a scumbag, but this fiasco could potentially unravel far more than the Patriot organization--in fact, they could very easily end up winning a Super Bowl anyways.  Now, whenever somebody wants to sabotage a team because they're a Super Bowl contender, all they have to do is file an accusation--usually with a woman with a history with said player--and suddenly, they must be released/suspended indefinitely.  And it's not the same thing as video evidence that proved something beyond a shadow of a doubt--like with Ray Rice back in 2016.  People archive tweets all the time, and comments on the internet all the time.  And if there aren't any archived tweets concerning proving Antonio Brown did what he did, then it's like the accusation never happened.  It didn't even happen that long ago, so it's not like people who hate Antonio Brown didn't have the time to archive his unsavory behaviors.

Proof, or it might as well never happened.  No, wait!  The women accusing Antonio Brown have heresy and conjecture; those are "kinds of evidence."

22 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

So, the media raises holy hell every time a team needs a QB and they don't hire Colin Kaepernick, and yet that same media will lead the angry mob to force the NFL/NFL team into cutting a player over an accusation and deny him due process.  Now, all that it takes to sabotage, say, the New England Patriots is for somebody to decide to accuse Tom Brady of running a rape train, and he'll be barred from the NFL and his legacy would be utterly destroyed.  I may be sick and tired of the New England Patriots and cannot wait until their dynasty finally ends, but I rather it not end that way over what could possibly be false and malicious accusations.

It should be innocent until proven guilty; not guilty based on the charges.  Antonio Brown may be a scumbag, but this fiasco could potentially unravel far more than the Patriot organization--in fact, they could very easily end up winning a Super Bowl anyways.  Now, whenever somebody wants to sabotage a team because they're a Super Bowl contender, all they have to do is file an accusation--usually with a woman with a history with said player--and suddenly, they must be released/suspended indefinitely.  And it's not the same thing as video evidence that proved something beyond a shadow of a doubt--like with Ray Rice back in 2016.  People archive tweets all the time, and comments on the internet all the time.  And if there aren't any archived tweets concerning proving Antonio Brown did what he did, then it's like the accusation never happened.  It didn't even happen that long ago, so it's not like people who hate Antonio Brown didn't have the time to archive his unsavory behaviors.

Proof, or it might as well never happened.  No, wait!  The women accusing Antonio Brown have heresy and conjecture; those are "kinds of evidence."

Your working theory is that 3 days after the Patriots signed Brown that a conspiracy from 2017 was devised to derail their dynasty?

On 9/20/2019 at 11:46 AM, Yak said:

Unrelated but related, I am starting to feel a twinge of empathy for you sad motherfaulkers who have to watch your terrible teams languish throughout another year of mediocrity. It's gotta be depressing. The Patriots organization really did break the NFL.

Truth is, it is some measure of "sad."  Then again a lot of it is self-inflicted

However - if Sanchez can do it, then I'm sure Luke SkyFalker can helms alee

Afterall:  falkin' Luke SkyFalker = Gardner Minshew > Titans/Mariota > Patriots/Brady:

Some observations - such as these - are just a given...

(Of course, I do jest:  but what if Falker did conquer this Sunday?  Would it be more of a surprise than Sanchize Playoff knock-off of the PATs?... This is not a dig or anything:  obviously it doesn't matter, as Ant. Brown dashed all aye hopes'n'dreams, the following weekend... But I am genuinely interested.)

THE SAD THING IS - EVEN IF THE JETS DID BEAT THE PATRIOTS THIS WEEKEND, THEY WOULD GO RIGHT BACK TO LOSING THE FOLLOWING WEEK, BECAUSE THEY'D BE SO ECSTATIC AT THEIR VICTORY.

https://www.helmsalee.online/sailing-glossary-2-helms-alee/

Tally hookers, mateys ...

Edited by Bolt

In 2002, Chad Pennington and the Jets beat Brady and the Pats, and Favre and the Packers in the last 2 games of the season to get into the playoffs, then beat Peyton Manning and the Colts 41-0 in the wildcard game, so I guess anything is possible. The Pats did not make the playoffs that year.

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left

So Antonio Brown decided out of spite to retire from the NFL.  Yeah, that will show 'em for cutting him in the middle of another bit of heresy!  Oh, wait!  You decided to dox your second accuser's kids and sick your religious followers to harass her?  And that isn't even a bit of heresy like the accusations all happen to be; anybody can actually look into it!  Well, so much for innocent until proven guilty; even if you were falsely accused, nobody's going to believe you, AB.  And to think that you were a generational talent on his way to the Hall of Fame one day, and you decided to destroy your own legacy this way!  Even if you are pronounced not guilty, nobody's going to be backing you up aside from that very expensive lawyer you're inevitably are going to need.

Good luck retiring with any semblance of luxury after those legal bills reduce you to the red.  God, I hope you're not a family man.

The term is hearsay. Heresy is when you shit on the church. And based on this clown's behavior, I would tend to believe the women. Now can you please stop sucking AB's dick and get back to talking about football?

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left