Knobbe

NFL 2019-20 Season Discussion

7 hours ago, bruddog said:

Yak I’m not sure the play calls were the problem...just the execution. Again if mahomes doesn’t make that bomb to hill or if jimmy completes his to an open sanders then the outcome is very likely reversed and the narratives are stupidly totally different. 

My point is that the game shouldn’t have even been in a position to be won or lost on those few plays. The 49ers are the better team. They were the better team for the majority of the game. And Shanahan blew it with lousy play calling. 

8 hours ago, BO FB Offtackle Left said:

I'm reading that he still wants to play somewhere else.

I read that too. I have doubts that is going to happen in the capacity that he wants, but I’m also not positive that I think a team will want him at all. It would have to be a team in P. Manning style win-now mode, but even that isn’t a sure thing. New offense? New roster? I guess we’ll see.

If he does play more, I don’t see any better outlook for big success before he retires. He will be known as the greatest QB to never go to the Super Bowl. Hey, at least “the greatest QB...” is in that statement.

I like Rivers, don’t get me wrong. He can be a complete b*tch sometimes, but he’s been a great quarterback. I just don’t know how much more great quarterback he has left in him.

Spanos and a shitty market really f*cked Rivers over greatly, too. Could never keep a consistent team in place.

Edited by Yak

1 hour ago, Yak said:

I read that too. I have doubts that is going to happen in the capacity that he wants, but I’m also not positive that I think a team will want him at all. It would have to be a team in P. Manning style win-now mode, but even that isn’t a sure thing. New offense? New roster? I guess we’ll see.

If he does play more, I don’t see any better outlook for big success before he retires. He will be known as the greatest QB to never go to the Super Bowl. Hey, at least “the greatest QB...” is in that statement.

I like Rivers, don’t get me wrong. He can be a complete b*tch sometimes, but he’s been a great quarterback. I just don’t know how much more great quarterback he has left in him.

Spanos and a shitty market really f*cked Rivers over greatly, too. Could never keep a consistent team in place.

To quote Urinatingtree, fuck you, Spanos!

12 hours ago, sony12 said:

It was a very good game. I do think the 49ers had the better overall team. If the 9ers had a slightly better qb the game would have been a runaway for them. Congrats to the Chiefs though. Way too early to be talking about any dynasty for KC as chances are good that they will lose a couple of their playmakers through free agency since a lot of them will be demanding big money now. They were fortunate to be able to win the SB while their qb and their top WR were still on their rookie contracts.

I don't think Mahomes is going anywhere. KC would be very foolish not to give him a big contract. They would be okay if Hill left because they still have Kelce.

8 hours ago, Yak said:

He seems more amenable to a mentorship role than Eli was. I could see him starting for a team that needs time to develop a rookie QB.

12 hours ago, Yak said:

Rivers was pretty bad last year to the point where he should have been benched, often looked like he was killing the team and shouldn't be in the league next year until I remember that the Broncos are in the league.

The Niners were averaging around 5-9 yards per carry on the ground and were truly running it down their throats that whole game. 

I 100% blame Shanahan for this when his play calling went as the following - 

Mahomes INT - Up 20-10, run, run (picked up 15+ yards), then pass, pass, pass, punt. 

Up 17-20, run, run (picked up 30+ yards and near mid field), then pass, pass, pass, punt.

Down 20-24, run, run (again, 30+ more yards and you're at mid field), then pass, pass (nearly intercepted), pass, (nearly intercepted again), sack/turnover on downs. 

Jimmy G was struggling that entire game and really looked lost most of the night. Shanahan wasn't scared to run it down Minnesota or GB's throat, yet in the SB, he does the same thing he did with the Falcons SB loss. It's like he was more worried about making his crappy QB into a SB MVP. 

I agree he didn't get aggressive enough on the last drive before half time, but this game was lost in the 4th quarter and it comes down to the coach and QB. He did the same thing in the Falcons SB loss. Up 28-3 and wouldn't run the ball. The Falcons were snapping the ball with 20+ seconds on the play clock, not even bothering running the clock even when the Pats had started to put drives together and points on the board. When Julio Jones caught that big pass, all they needed was a few runs, then kick a long field goal with your automatic kicker, and the game is out of reach. It would've helped too had they just run the ball and kept the clock ticking. Instead, he kept calling pass plays and let Ryan get sacked and turn the ball over. Not running the clock led to the Pats having enough time to figure things out and get it together. In this SB, he was getting even better averages from running plays, but didn't want to stick with it. Imagine had they chewed the clock down a bit after the Mahomes INT, that would've went a long way in the Niners favor. 

I can't believe we're already talking about a KC dynasty. This conversation wouldn't be had if Shanahan calls a better game or if his QB didn't stink it up. Jimmy G played bad as the year wore on for him and I can imagine Pats fans are relieved right now that their team stuck with their old legend and didn't go with Jimmy G. I'm not convinced Jimmy G would've beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead in last year's AFCCG. Brady may be declined, but he still had some juice left in the tank for that game when the Pats needed consist drives to put points on the board and one final one in OT. 

The Chiefs could easily end up like the Saints or Packers - all this dynasty talk and then struggle to get back to the big game. I clearly remember when NO and GB were supposed to be a 'dynasty' and neither made it back to the SB.

I don't believe the Patriots are just going to die after this year. They were like the 1986 Bears. Their defense was ranked #1 and posted some great statistical metrics. The main issue was the offense. With a younger Brady, they would've been 14-2 and probably won it all. 

On 2/11/2020 at 10:20 PM, Yak said:

I don't know about that, I'm biased towards Warren Moon in that stat. 

The Chargers screwed Rivers many times though, you are definitely right there. They were a legit SB contender in 2006 when Marlon McCree screwed it all up for them. 

I will never talk badly about Rivers after the 2007 AFCCG. They went into Foxboro playing the undefeated Pats. Rivers on one leg with a torn ACL, and he had a good game as the Chargers put up a great fight. They probably win that game if their HOF RB don't act like a baby sitting on the bench pouting the whole game with his helmet on. Tomlinson let the Pats get in his head, like his "I'm a classy person" rant when they lost to them in the 2006 playoffs. 

They were good in 2009 as well when they went 13-3. The Chargers were the only team that truly scared me in the AFC that year. They would've gave the Saints a hard fight in the SB. 

Edited by _DEBERG

52 minutes ago, _DEBERG said:

The Niners were averaging around 5-9 yards per carry on the ground and were truly running it down their throats that whole game. 

I 100% blame Shanahan for this when his play calling went as the following - 

Mahomes INT - Up 20-10, run, run (picked up 15+ yards), then pass, pass, pass, punt. 

Up 17-20, run, run (picked up 30+ yards and near mid field), then pass, pass, pass, punt.

Down 20-24, run, run (again, 30+ more yards and you're at mid field), then pass, pass (nearly intercepted), pass, (nearly intercepted again), sack/turnover on downs. 

Jimmy G was struggling that entire game and really looked lost most of the night. Shanahan wasn't scared to run it down Minnesota or GB's throat, yet in the SB, he does the same thing he did with the Falcons SB loss. It's like he was more worried about making his crappy QB into a SB MVP. 

I agree he didn't get aggressive enough on the last drive before half time, but this game was lost in the 4th quarter and it comes down to the coach and QB. He did the same thing in the Falcons SB loss. Up 28-3 and wouldn't run the ball. The Falcons were snapping the ball with 20+ seconds on the play clock, not even bothering running the clock even when the Pats had started to put drives together and points on the board. When Julio Jones caught that big pass, all they needed was a few runs, then kick a long field goal with your automatic kicker, and the game is out of reach. It would've helped too had they just run the ball and kept the clock ticking. Instead, he kept calling pass plays and let Ryan get sacked and turn the ball over. Not running the clock led to the Pats having enough time to figure things out and get it together. In this SB, he was getting even better averages from running plays, but didn't want to stick with it. Imagine had they chewed the clock down a bit after the Mahomes INT, that would've went a long way in the Niners favor. 

Lets get it right at least.....lol. Jimmy G had 3 incompletions going into the 4th quarter. 18-21. 

UP

20-10

run(6 yards), pass 12 yards, run 1 yard, incomplete to deebo (outlet guy was wide ass open, penalty, FALSE START, 3rd and 15 (pass)  

4 11:57 1 10 SFO 20 Raheem Mostert right tackle for 6 yards (tackle by Reggie Ragland and Damien Wilson) 20 10 0.280 0.540
4 11:18 2 4 SFO 26 Jimmy Garoppolo pass complete short middle to George Kittle for 12 yards (tackle by Daniel Sorensen) 20 10 0.540 1.470
4 10:37 1 10 SFO 38 Raheem Mostert left guard for 1 yard (tackle by Chris Jones and Daniel Sorensen) 20 10 1.470 1.060
4 9:52 2 9 SFO 39 Jimmy Garoppolo pass incomplete short middle intended for Deebo Samuel 20 10 1.060 0.370
4 9:47 3 9 SFO 39 Penalty on Joe Staley: False Start, 5 yards (no play) 20 10 0.370 -0.290
4 9:47 3 14 SFO 34 Jimmy Garoppolo right end for 3 yards (tackle by Rashad Fenton) 20 10 -0.290 -0.910
4 9:01 4 11 SFO 37 Mitch Wishnowsky punts 46 yards, fair catch by Mecole Hardman at

UP

20-17

run(5 yards), pass, pass. Both times the pass rush got there quick. they had like 8 guys in the box both times. Would have liked to see maybe one more run there. 

4 6:13     KAN 35 Harrison Butker kicks off 64 yards, returned by Richie James for 19 yards (tackle by Ben Niemann) 20 17 0.000 0.280
4 6:06 1 10 SFO 20 Raheem Mostert left tackle for 5 yards (tackle by Derrick Nnadi) 20 17 0.280 0.410
4 5:27 2 5 SFO 25 Jimmy Garoppolo pass incomplete short right intended for George Kittle (defended by Chris Jones) 20 17 0.410 -0.300
4 5:23 3 5 SFO 25 Jimmy Garoppolo pass incomplete short right intended for Kendrick Bourne 20 17 -0.300 -1.700
4 5:18 4 5 SFO 25 Mitch Wishnowsky punts 40 yards, fair catch by Mecole Hardman at KC-35 20 17 -1.700 -1.270

DOWN

24-20

run(17 yards), pass(8 yards), pass(16 yards) 

4 2:39 1 10 SFO 15 Raheem Mostert right tackle for 17 yards (tackle by Kendall Fuller) 20 24 -0.220 1.070
4 2:02 1 10 SFO 32 Penalty on Emmanuel Sanders: False Start, 5 yards (no play) 20 24 1.070 0.740
4 2:02 1 15 SFO 27 Jimmy Garoppolo pass complete short right to George Kittle for 8 yards (tackle by Kendall Fuller and Tyrann Mathieu) 20 24 0.740 0.930
4 1:56 2 7 SFO 35 Jimmy Garoppolo pass complete short left to Kendrick Bourne for 16 yards (tackle by Charvarius Ward) 20 24 0.930 2.320
4 1:49 1 10 KAN 49 Jimmy Garoppolo pass incomplete short right intended for Deebo Samuel (defended by Chris Jones) 20 24 2.320 1.780
4 1:44 2 10 KAN 49 Jimmy Garoppolo pass incomplete short middle intended for Kendrick Bourne (defended by Chris Jones) (defended by Kendall Fuller) 20 24 1.780 1.090
4 1:40 3 10 KAN 49 Jimmy Garoppolo pass incomplete deep middle intended for Emmanuel Sanders 20 24 1.090 0.000
4 1:33 4 10 KAN 49 Jimmy Garoppolo sacked by Frank Clark for -9 yards 20 24 0.000 -2.790

The thing is looking at these plays...many of them if Jimmy had made a better play/read the script flips because guys were open. That pass to Emanuel sanders is the same pass he hit in the Saints game and the Rams game. Hard to say the process was totally flawed IMHO. 

16 hours ago, bruddog said:

DOWN

24-20

run(17 yards), pass(8 yards), pass(16 yards) 

4 2:39 1 10 SFO 15 Raheem Mostert right tackle for 17 yards (tackle by Kendall Fuller) 20 24 -0.220 1.070
4 2:02 1 10 SFO 32 Penalty on Emmanuel Sanders: False Start, 5 yards (no play) 20 24 1.070 0.740
4 2:02 1 15 SFO 27 Jimmy Garoppolo pass complete short right to George Kittle for 8 yards (tackle by Kendall Fuller and Tyrann Mathieu) 20 24 0.740 0.930
4 1:56 2 7 SFO 35 Jimmy Garoppolo pass complete short left to Kendrick Bourne for 16 yards (tackle by Charvarius Ward) 20 24 0.930 2.320
4 1:49 1 10 KAN 49 Jimmy Garoppolo pass incomplete short right intended for Deebo Samuel (defended by Chris Jones) 20 24 2.320 1.780
4 1:44 2 10 KAN 49 Jimmy Garoppolo pass incomplete short middle intended for Kendrick Bourne (defended by Chris Jones) (defended by Kendall Fuller) 20 24 1.780 1.090
4 1:40 3 10 KAN 49 Jimmy Garoppolo pass incomplete deep middle intended for Emmanuel Sanders 20 24 1.090 0.000
4 1:33 4 10 KAN 49 Jimmy Garoppolo sacked by Frank Clark for -9 yards 20 24 0.000 -2.790

The thing is looking at these plays...many of them if Jimmy had made a better play/read the script flips because guys were open. That pass to Emanuel sanders is the same pass he hit in the Saints game and the Rams game. Hard to say the process was totally flawed IMHO. 

This says it all right here - Morstet for 17 yards, then don't run the ball again. 

He was nearly intercepted twice before that sack on the same drive. 

Niners had that game in the bag and their coach blew it. Not any different from the 28-3 choke job he put up with Atlanta. I like Shanahan but that is now 2 SBs he choked away when his team should've won. 

Everything went their way this year too. It wouldn't have surprised anyone had they won it. Felt like their year all season, then they collapsed in the 4th quarter. 

On 2/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, _DEBERG said:

I don't know about that, I'm biased towards Warren Moon in that stat.

Your bias is irrelevant. :)

Philip Rivers tops Warren Moon in almost every career statistic that matters for a QB. You could make the argument that they played in different eras and bla bla bla. But the reality is that you're giving Warren top billing because of your nostalgia-colored glasses. 

Edited by Yak

It's been two weeks and 3 days, and i still can't help but watch the highlights of the Super Bowl. As for the talk about starting a dynasty, yeah i think Reid,. Mahomes and everyone else should cool their jets on that, considering nothing is ever guaranteed.

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

It's been two weeks and 3 days, and i still can't help but watch the highlights of the Super Bowl. As for the talk about starting a dynasty, yeah i think Reid,. Mahomes and everyone else should cool their jets on that, considering nothing is ever guaranteed.

Congrats! A good SB win will do that. And it was a fun game to watch. 

I’ve seen the New England/Atlanta highlights so much—and honestly, complete sections of the game—that I could just about run through most of it in my head.

Live that shit up! 50 years! That’s a long-ass time.

I see some younger New England fans worry about the eventual transition of the Brady era, and it’s like—fucken relax, bros. The Patriots could not win another Super Bowl for a generation, and you should be fine with that. The winning has been unprecedented in the Boston market since the early 2000s. Relax. 

Edited by Yak

On 2/19/2020 at 8:31 PM, Yak said:

Congrats! A good SB win will do that. And it was a fun game to watch. 

I’ve seen the New England/Atlanta highlights so much—and honestly, complete sections of the game—that I could just about run through most of it in my head.

Live that shit up! 50 years! That’s a long-ass time.

I see some younger New England fans worry about the eventual transition of the Brady era, and it’s like—fucken relax, bros. The Patriots could not win another Super Bowl for a generation, and you should be fine with that. The winning has been unprecedented in the Boston market since the early 2000s. Relax. 

giphy.gif

Doogie... you remind me of Bloomberg.

#AndFuckTomBrady!