Knobbe

NFL 2019-20 Season Discussion

OL coach Dante Scarnecchia retiring is the third biggest loss that the Patriots could experience behind Brady or Belichick leaving. The last time Dante Scarnecchia left the team, Brady was on the grass all day long. This does not bode well for the Patriots next season.

Congratulations to the Modern Inductees for the 2020 Centennial class of the Hall of Fame! They are:

RB Edgerrin James
OG Steve Hutchinson
S Troy Polamalu
WR Isaac Bruce
S Steve Atwater

After several months of another nfl season we’ve finally arrived at the SB stage. My pick of atl to win it all failed but it looked more respectable toward the end of the yr where they got impressive wins @no & sf. I got other picks wrong like the afc north and lac & my team chi to make it as wc’s.

But many of the other playoff picks I got right incl brilliant ones like buf & sf. I picked buf to make it as a wc. I picked sf to get wc as well - I was wanting to pick them for div but I thought that was too daring so I went with sea as a safe pick and I was real close on the last day of the regular season!

So sf is representing the nfc in the sb instead of atl. Like many I picked kc to rep the afc but I also expressed hesitation bc they got the bullseye on them and the fact bal got the #1 seed proved I was right. 

I picked kc to lose to atl. I thought am I still obligated to pick kc to lose? I decided no. And I can’t in good conscience pick sf when I know kc has a big adv at qb. I’m picking kc to win 34-27 close to the score on the simulation.

And on the qb matchup as a chi fan I gotta say I get irritated when ppl say chi should’ve got mahomes. There was actually little buzz about mahomes going into the draft bc he was seen as a qb from the crazy big 12. Credit Andy Reid and kc scouts for doing their homework which is why mahomes ended up there.

The idea sf who was above chi in draft order but gave them that spot in an unusual trade didn’t need qb is a myth. They actually were, it’s just that they saw a poor qb class so chose to delay that for a yr. They signed clearly a stopgap not a long-termer in Brian hoyer who the yr before was w/ my team where he had his best statistical stint. Couldn’t duplicate it in sf so they panicked and got jimmy g. 

So really sf should’ve got mahomes and that should’ve been the buzz during sb wk. Even if sf wins it w/ jimmy g I think down the road sf will regret not picking mahomes who’s got a great future. I’m sure the sf possibility is on mahomes mind so he’ll have something to prove. If kc wins as I expect ppl will change their rhetoric and say the loser could’ve got this guy.

Edited by BigCat71
Accuracy, clarification

It's close to kickoff.....gotta root for the 49ers. My wife's a fan so that makes me a fan today. Either way, I win. Baked ziti just went in the oven. 

A draw at the half so far. The ziti though was AMAZING.

This second half should be fun. It seems like the Chiefs were a bit too cautious in the first half. The 49ers defense has to find a way to get the Chiefs in 2nd and 3rd and long more, those gains on first downs has been setting the Chiefs up for easy first downs. The 49ers at playing a bend but don't break style and hopefully they don't give up something big on a slip of a banana peel in the second half.

Great SB. Hats off to Andy Reid for finally winning the big one!

Man, I wish the Saints would've drafted Patrick Mahomes. Wouldn't be having this conversation among fans about resigning a 40+ year old Brees, we'd be set for the future. 

That's 2 SBs now that Kyle Shanahan has blown a lead in the 4th quarter. Not as bad as 28-3, but still... You're up 20-10 and you're averaging around 5 to 8 yards per carry on the ground and you decided to just go pass, pass, pass with your crappy QB? They were still up 20-17 too and had 2 big runs for first downs and he goes back to passing with Jimmy G. 

So what mediocre Tecmo QB do we compare Jimmy G to? I'm Stan Humphries from the SNES games. Good lord I've had some nightmare games with him in the playoffs, hence why when I'm the Chargers I don't mess around like Shanhan did tonight, I run the damn ball! 

Man... never thought i'd live to see the day KC won the Super Bowl. I still have chills up my spine. Congratulations to the 49ers for making it a game and having one hell of a season after the previous season's debacle. I hope they get to win one one day. But for now... this is KC's time! #SBLIVCHAMPS

46 minutes ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

Man... never thought i'd live to see the day KC won the Super Bowl. I still have chills up my spine. Congratulations to the 49ers for making it a game and having one hell of a season after the previous season's debacle. I hope they get to win one one day. But for now... this is KC's time! #SBLIVCHAMPS

Congrats to you and Chiefs fans. It's fun to see a team with a losing history win the SB. I never thought I'd live to see the day the Saints won it. Hence why the pain of the recent playoff exits don't really bother me. Young fans act like it's the end of the world, but it's not like losing in the early 90s when we were known as perennial losers.

I'm very happy for Reid. This should complete his resume for the Hall of Fame. He was already a HoF coach before this, but having a ring will definitely seal it. No one can argue with it now and cheers for Mahomes. That kid is unreal. He's like a mobile Dan Marino, so fun to watch. 

42 minutes ago, _DEBERG said:

Congrats to you and Chiefs fans. It's fun to see a team with a losing history win the SB. I never thought I'd live to see the day the Saints won it. Hence why the pain of the recent playoff exits don't really bother me. Young fans act like it's the end of the world, but it's not like losing in the early 90s when we were known as perennial losers.

I'm very happy for Reid. This should complete his resume for the Hall of Fame. He was already a HoF coach before this, but having a ring will definitely seal it. No one can argue with it now and cheers for Mahomes. That kid is unreal. He's like a mobile Dan Marino, so fun to watch. 

I feared for a while he would end up in the same boat as Schottenheimer. I think whatever Tyrann told his teammates after halftime really sparked them up. Looking forward to potentially at least one more SB.

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

I feared for a while he would end up in the same boat as Schottenheimer. I think whatever Tyrann told his teammates after halftime really sparked them up. Looking forward to potentially at least one more SB.

Schottenheimer's Chiefs have given me some of my most excited and favorite seasons ever in TSB 2 and 3. I'll never forget the season I had backup QB Matt Blundin win MVP in TSB 3 and went on to beat Dallas in the SB. Fun memories. Playing seasons with them through the AFC of those years is always fun. 

Those Chiefs teams had some serious bad luck in the playoffs. Watched the 1994 and 1997 playoff losses a while back. Both were winnable games. 

12 hours ago, _DEBERG said:

So what mediocre Tecmo QB do we compare Jimmy G to? I'm Stan Humphries from the SNES games. Good lord I've had some nightmare games with him in the playoffs, hence why when I'm the Chargers I don't mess around like Shanhan did tonight, I run the damn ball! 

Rodney Peete because Jimmy G can scramble. And the Lions in general with the wasted running game.

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left

Congrats to that big ol' fat fucking walrus, Andy Reid. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Congrats, Chief fans.

I hear some talk about this Chiefs team being the beginning of a dynasty. LOL. Hold your fucken horses, football fans; this is Andy Reid we're talking about here...

Edited by Yak

12 hours ago, BO FB Offtackle Left said:

Rodney Peete because Jimmy G can scramble. And the Lions in general with the wasted running game.

LOL Rodney Peete is one of my favorite turnover machines in TSB 2. The Lions R-N-S offense don't make it any easier using him. I get to the point where I laugh when the ball sails past Brett Perriman and gets picked off. 

It wasn't even 24 hours after they won the SB and already talking about 'dynasty'. Just enjoy the win right now.

Saints fans do this too. They talk about the "dynasty" since 2009. What fucking dynasty? We can't even get back to the SB. I quit going on Saints forums a while back and before the non-call crap, they used to constantly compare Brees to Rodgers, Manning and even Brady. Talking about how he should have 4 or 5 rings by now if only he had the teams they had. After this last playoff loss, I don't ever want to see anyone talking about how his playoff numbers are better than Manning and Brady. Manning may have some first round exits on his resume, but he at least made it to 4 SBs and with 4 different coaches at that. Brees is in the same boat as Rodgers as far as playoffs are concerned, except Rodgers has been to the NFC title game more often. The Packers also were supposed to become a 'dynasty' after their 2010 SB win and haven't been back to the big game since. 

It's too early IMO to begin talking about a dynasty. But I will say, I won't be shocked if Jimmy G struggles next year. He got exposed on the big stage like Jared Goff did. 

It was easy for people to say the Pats should've moved on from Brady and went with the younger QB, but I'm not convinced Jimmy would've beat the Chiefs last year in the AFCCG. Brady is past his prime, but that was a vintage-like performance for him in that game. I don't think Jimmy G would've beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead in that kind of situation needing drive after drive to keep up with them, then a game winning drive in OT. 

Everything pretty much went the Niners way this year. It truly felt like it was their magical season and maybe it was, KC stole it from them and deserved that win. I don't see SF repeating all this next year. It helps though that the NFC is so unpredictable. 

Edited by _DEBERG

Really like what I’ve been reading out of San Francisco and the reckoning with their loss. It was a harsh loss, and in many ways, self inflicted. But what I’ve been reading has been incredible. Kittle and crew going full-on fuel for the next season maniacal competitiveness. That’s the kind of thing I can appreciate. 

Good of luck next year, 49ers.

Fingers-crossed Kyle Shanahan finally learns his lesson when it comes to the ‘closing out a big game’ strategy and not getting too cute and overthinking it. 

There was a lot of blame to go around but shanahan was only a part of the problem. His part imho was

1. Not being agressive at the end of the first half. Still they did end up getting a deep shot to Kittle who got called for a pretty weak penalty. At best its just inconsitently called. The saints lost on a no-call on Rudolph. 

2. Not being agressive on 4th and short 

ESPN's Brian Burke said these decisions werent that costly per his game simulator but Edjsports had those as pretty costly decisions.

Basically 49ers settled on 4th downs. KC was agressive and converted. KC recovered all 3 of their fumbles. Mahomes mad some huge clutch throws in the 4th. That 3rd and 15 was the game or close to it if the 49er could have got a stop on 4th. 

Meanwhile Jimmy G airmails an open Sanders. If he hits that pass, its a different story and we are talking about andy reid. It's typical one game myopia. Reid's time management is still not stellar. Shanahan has been too conservative all season. 

On 2/5/2020 at 7:35 PM, bruddog said:

Shanahan has been too conservative all season.

Why they didn't stick with the running game is beyond me. Stick with what brought you to the game. This is two Super Bowls now that Shanahan has allowed the QBs to lose the game for him, when frankly, Jimmy G should have never had the game put on his shoulders. Terrible playcalling, terrible late-game coaching.

Yak I’m not sure the play calls were the problem...just the execution. Again if mahomes doesn’t make that bomb to hill or if jimmy completes his to an open sanders then the outcome is very likely reversed and the narratives are stupidly totally different. 

It was a very good game. I do think the 49ers had the better overall team. If the 9ers had a slightly better qb the game would have been a runaway for them. Congrats to the Chiefs though. Way too early to be talking about any dynasty for KC as chances are good that they will lose a couple of their playmakers through free agency since a lot of them will be demanding big money now. They were fortunate to be able to win the SB while their qb and their top WR were still on their rookie contracts.