Knobbe

NFL 2019-20 Season Discussion

11 hours ago, Yak said:

I’m happy to put this season’s lack of follow through on Bill Belichick. He runs the football operations. It wasn’t Belichick who was dropping those passes in games, but it was him who put those rookie WRs out there on the field, and the rag tag bunch of skill players he assembled in the offseason. Overall, it was a poor general management effort. During the latter half of the season, I also question how the player management affected Belichick’s attention to coaching, including his default defensive coordinator role after losing Greg Schiano before the season started. 

Didn't he acquire Antonio Brown and Mohamed Sanu in season? Doesn't seem like a lack of effort here.

Posted (edited)

What’s there to say? The Patriots didn’t deserve to win that game. 

Shaq Mason’s O-Lineman downfield penalty and Julian Edelman’s dropped pass (shades of Wes Welker’s) encapsulated the Patriots whole season.

I don’t think Brady retires. I don’t think Robert Craft allows Brady to play for another team. I’m not sure what that means other than Brady comes back for at least one more season. 

Edited by Yak

Posted (edited)
On 12/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, Bodom said:

It feels different this year.  The Pats offense has struggled in almost every game this season.  They are bottom 10 in the NFL in yards per drive.  Didn't even score an offensive TD against Buffalo.  Seems like a continuation from last year's Super Bowl where the offense was awful and the defense stepped up.  Brady is showing his age, but I'd only put a little on him.  The OL has been terrible, they can't run the ball when they need to, and the WRs, with the exception of Edelman, just seem off.  The defense has been fun to watch, though.  I'm actually enjoying the swap from O to D.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  They just better hope Edelman stays healthy because if he gets injured it's good night.

Lots to say here.

First, huge kudos to Vrabel for that masterful coaching performance.  The Titans are not an overly talented team and he put together a brilliant plan, both pregame and in-game decisions.

Oddly enough, despite what the stats say, I thought this was one of Brady's best games all year.  The rest of the team (most of them) just didn't execute.  3 huge drops that would have been first downs.  Shaq Mason sprinting down the field to negate a big play.  McDaniels awful play calling on that 1st and goal from the 1.  Sony Michel being arm tackled at least 4 times.  The OL wasn't THAT bad, but not good either.  Change those drops and dumb penalties to completions, let Tom throw when it's 1st and goal and it's a different story.  Didn't stand much chance on the pick six.  The defense played great and I think Chung getting injured early on was a huge factor, but that's football.  Gotta grind through it.

And it's clear to me that Edelman has been injured for the past few weeks.  His game has been off.  2 uncharacteristic drops by him.  I knew that if he didn't stay healthy it was good night.

All that being said, most Pats fans saw this coming.  At this point I'm ready to call it.  The dynasty is over.  It's been a helluva fun ride.  I'll save my emotional Brady-Bill-Kraft-Patriots-GOAT nut-hugging rant for another post...

Edited by Bodom

Posted (edited)

All I can say is, if I had known Vikings were gonna wear all purple, I would've picked them to beat New Orleans ...

(should've done my due diligence)

Edited by Bolt

Wish I would have gotten to see that Vikings-Saints game. I thought there was no way the Vikings win that one.

Here's a fun fact:  The Falcons, Bears, Cowboys, Vikings, and Buccaneers are the only five teams to have never won a game against the Brady/Belichick Patriots.  Considering that 2020 will most certainly be Brady's final season unless the Patriots decide (for some reason) to let him walk in free agency, and the Patriots are matched up with the NFC West next season, I think it's safe to say that fact will remain unless the Patriots meet any of these five teams in the Super Bowl next year.

Additionally, the Jaguars were the final AFC team to get their first win against the Brady/Belichick Patriots, and the Lions are the last team in general to do so.  Only took them eighteen years to get it done.  Wished it was done a year earlier though.

Jack Conklin's horse just pulled off the Tebow Special

TebowJumpPass.gif~c200

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6dhz1_YyV2yRirr8Auhp

I tell ya, Mikaela ...

something I've learned is, doubt Derrick "strong as John" Henry, and he'll bite ya in the ass.

Wild_Horses_Rescue_Plan_20177-f3131-4.jp

Great playoffs so far!

I'm not even mad about the Saints losing to Minnesota. I never bought that they were really that great this year despite finishing 13-3. The best part of the season ironically was when Brees was out and Bridgewater came in. They played like a different team. When Brees came back, the offense got away from what was working with the run game and we pretty much padded stats for him to break some more meaningless records. 

In a weird way, I felt relieved after the Saints lost, cause there was no way I felt they'd beat Green Bay in Lambeau or the Niners in SF had they got there. It also feels like karma is coming to collect on us for all the whining, moaning, kicking and screaming that this team and the fan base did for the stupid non-call last year. This is the team that spent all year making "we got robbed" as their slogan and a victimhood as their identity. they acted like they were owed a SB for a bad call in last year's NFCCG, rather than taking accountability for blowing a 13-0 and 20-10 lead. Even now, the fans are nitpicking what they perceive as OPI on the game winning catch. I find it to be very tick-tacky and am glad it wasn't called. After last year's playoff loss, I posted on these boards how Payton really gets out-coached and made into a clown in the playoffs, and by god he proved me right this year. He coached such a bad game against the Vikes and yet the fans just nitpick a stupid non-call instead of criticizing him. I'm so glad I don't live in NOLA and have to deal with hearing all the belly-aching over non-calls, cause the fan base online is unbearable. No one should feel sorry for this team. 

OK enough about the Saints, just had to get it out of my system - 

The Titans were a big surprise in the playoffs so far. I really wish they were still the Oilers so this coming AFCCG could get a comparison to the 1993 Chiefs/Oilers game. 

If the Chiefs and 49ers win (what I am hoping for), do we call it the Montana Bowl? Or can we call it the DeBerg-Montana-Bono-Grbac-Smith Bowl instead? 😂

I can't believe the Ravens lost and lost badly.

If we get KC vs Green Bay prepare yourself for the 'This is the matchup from Super Bowl I' talk

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

Nope, they still got five modern picks to make. Those won't be announced until Feb 1st. 

Oh cool. Thanks!

Just now, Knobbe said:

Oh cool. Thanks!

No problem! This year was an exception as they bypassed the bylaws for the 100th anniversary. I think they're splitting the ceremony into two different ones since there's 20 inductees this year.