Knobbe

NFL 2019-20 Season Discussion

On 12/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, Bodom said:

It feels different this year.  The Pats offense has struggled in almost every game this season.  They are bottom 10 in the NFL in yards per drive.  Didn't even score an offensive TD against Buffalo.  Seems like a continuation from last year's Super Bowl where the offense was awful and the defense stepped up.  Brady is showing his age, but I'd only put a little on him.  The OL has been terrible, they can't run the ball when they need to, and the WRs, with the exception of Edelman, just seem off.  The defense has been fun to watch, though.  I'm actually enjoying the swap from O to D.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  They just better hope Edelman stays healthy because if he gets injured it's good night.

Agreed. Brady is not to blame for the vast majority of this offensive dysfunction. I still don't understand why they let Josh Gordon go considering what they were looking at from their WR group, despite bringing on Sanu--who's most effective in the slot---where they already have Julian E.. The general management of the WR group almost seems like an affront to Tom Brady. A purposeful affront.

Brady's thrown to 20 different players this year.

Two of his top five WR options are rookies. One is an undrafted rookie; one is a 1st rounder who Brady has played two games with. A third primary WR option is Phillip fucking Dorsett, who has neither lights-out speed or agility. A fourth option in Sanu was traded to NE last month, and has played, like, three games with Tom Brady. Two seasons of games with Julian E. count for more games than he's played with the rest of the WR core combined. 

Add all of the o-line shifts and injuries affecting the run game, and it's not looking great for this offense figuring out who they are in time for a strong playoff run. With the defense showing some cracks over the past few weeks while having to significantly make up for the offense not playing well, and I don't think anyone is afraid to play New England at this point.

Edited by Yak

It is reasonable to think Brady is certainly part of the problem. His completion percentage vs expected via NEXT-GEN stats has fallen every year since 2016 to the point where he now ranks in the very bottom of the league starters at -2.6% over expected. He's also having more  trouble when under pressure the least few seasons.. Yes the WR's are part of the problem but they aren't the worst in the league either. They might be the worst or near the worst of the playoff contenders but they are probably about league average.

in 2016 +2.7 (10th)

in 2017 0.5 (10th)

in 2018 -1.2 (28th)

in 2019 -2.6 (33rd) 

Good news Bears fans; you just need to win at least two of your final three games to break the tie you have with the Cardinals.  The bad news?  Your final three games are against the Packers, Chiefs, and Vikings.  And you're behind the 49ers, Vikings, and Rams in the playoff seeding.

Good luck.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:37 PM, Bolt said:

my preference-picks

I don't know who won, but I prefer Bears>cowboys

21 hours ago, bruddog said:

It is reasonable to think Brady is certainly part of the problem. His completion percentage vs expected via NEXT-GEN stats has fallen every year since 2016 to the point where he now ranks in the very bottom of the league starters at -2.6% over expected. He's also having more  trouble when under pressure the least few seasons.. Yes the WR's are part of the problem but they aren't the worst in the league either. They might be the worst or near the worst of the playoff contenders but they are probably about league average.

in 2016 +2.7 (10th)

in 2017 0.5 (10th)

in 2018 -1.2 (28th)

in 2019 -2.6 (33rd) 

It's not about the WRs being good or bad at their position; it's about time in the system, reps, and familiarity with Tom Brady, of which 4/5s of the WRs have very little time with him, and with 3/5s have very little experience in the league, in general. Is Tom Brady declining? Of course, he's 42. But his WR situation is pure garbage. At the end of his tenure in the league, he should be playing with 3-5 year vets who have experience in the system, not just Julian Edelman and 'everybody else'.

Edited by Yak

On 12/6/2019 at 3:04 AM, Bolt said:

I don't know who won, but I prefer Bears>cowboys

And now, I prefer:

IND>t.b, NYJ>mia, SAI>s.f, DET>vik, DEN>tex, G.B>wak, CLE>cin, BAL>buf, CAR>atl, LAC>jax, TEN>rai, K.C>n.e, ARZ>pit, SEA>ram, PHI>nyg

On 12/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, bruddog said:

It is reasonable to think Brady is certainly part of the problem.

He absolutely is.  I made a comment to friends last season that he was just about done then.  I just think that if you divvy up the blame, Brady only takes a small fraction of it in comparison to the rest of the offense.  But whatever.  The guy has played at a high level about 4 years beyond what I thought he would and has delivered 6 Super Bowls, so at this point, I'm just going to enjoy him regardless if he sucks or not.  If he wants to play another 3 seasons then so be it. 

1 hour ago, Bodom said:

He absolutely is.  I made a comment to friends last season that he was just about done then.  I just think that if you divvy up the blame, Brady only takes a small fraction of it in comparison to the rest of the offense.  But whatever.  The guy has played at a high level about 4 years beyond what I thought he would and has delivered 6 Super Bowls, so at this point, I'm just going to enjoy him regardless if he sucks or not.  If he wants to play another 3 seasons then so be it. 

100%. As a fan, I would gladly accept a few losing seasons if Tom Brady wanted to play until a ridiculous age. 

6 hours ago, Bodom said:

5 hours ago, Yak said:

100%. As a fan, I would gladly accept a few losing seasons if Tom Brady wanted to play until a ridiculous age. 

If he 50 and be throwin' underhand backwards within ten yards of bein' sacked, I'll be happy ...

Tom Brady is not going to play until he's 45.

He's either going to get hurt, and that will be the end of it.

Or, to quote Brady himself back in the 2014 preseason: "If I suck, then I'll retire."

In other words, if he can't play anymore, that's it.  Goose is cooked.

Something else I find rather funny is that the Patriots might not even win their division.  If the Bills win out, they'll secure the conference tie-breaker.

For three years haters have been forecasting the demise of Tom Brady, as opposed to celebrating his excellence at this late stage of his career. It's really been pathetic to watch.

During this time, he won a couple more Super Bowls, and the trolls had to go back to their caves. Sad little people whose existences are so shitty that they try to pull others down to their level.

Now the trolls are coming out again at the first sight of team weakness, laying the blame on his aging to give their three years of desperate prognostication some value. Truly pathetic, let alone bluntly narcissistic.

Have some self respect.

Edited by Yak

I'm not saying this as a troll.  I'm saying it as reality.

He's either going to get hurt, or he's going to suck.

I never said he's hurt right now.  And I never said that he sucks right now.  At this stage, Brady can be compared to late 2014 Peyton Manning--definitely a far cry from his best, but at the same time, not in a position where anybody can easily say that the end has come.

He will be back next year.  Maybe the year after that.  But just shy of Andrew Luck coming out of retirement and signing with the team, the dynasty isn't going to continue on well into the 2020's.

Not that it would matter unless the Buffalo Bills win the Super Bowl this year.  Jets surpassed the Patriots in 2010, but that didn't matter because they failed to even get that far.  Regardless, there is a chance still.  For no other reason that because the Bills can still win the division by winning out.

That and if the Ravens prove so dominant that they start resting their starters, that could prove costly for them as well.

So we'll see.

Edit:  Forgot to add this in, but it is worth noting.  2008 aside, Brady must be the world's most durable football player considering he's now been playing football for the vast majority of his life at this point.  Not even Brett Favre can hold a candle to Brady in that respect.  I'm not even sure if he's hurt outside feeling a little sore here and there.

Edited by Mike Gordan

1 hour ago, Knobbe said:

Who is going to win the NFC East and will they do it with a sub .500 record?

Man, I don't even know what team is gonna show up. Both the Eagles and the Cowboys have really shown an inability to play "complementary" football. Dak has had a rough 3 game stretch where you could claim correctly the stats were mostly garbage time (didn't even get stats vs Pats). This defense is hemorrhaging yards and I have no trust in it, so I am THIS CLOSE to just hoping the Eagles put it together and become the NFC Least sacrificial Lamb

The compilations of Phillip Rivers trash talking is the stuff of legends. That guy should get in the Hall of Fame strictly for his trash talking.

Edited by Yak

On 10/12/2019 at 5:37 PM, Bolt said:

my preference-picks

NYJ>bal

I got Jets wrong anyway ...

PHI>wak, TEN>hou, MIA>nyg, K.C>den, CHI>g.b, DET>t.b, CIN>spy, SEA>car, LAC>vik, JAG>rai, ARZ>cle, ATL>s.f, LAR>dal, BUF>pit, SAI>col

With Week 15 in the books, every team that could clinch a playoff berth last week did.  Congratulations, New England, Green Bay, San Francisco (in spite the loss), Seattle, and Buffalo.  You earned it.

Here are the clinching scenarios for Week 16:

Baltimore Ravens can clinch homefield advantage with a win or losses for the Patriots and Chiefs.

New England Patriots can clinch AFC East with a win against the Bills.

Houston Texans can clinch AFC South with a win plus Titans loss.

Seattle Seahawks can clinch NFC West with a win plus 49ers loss.  Not sure if they'd clinch homefield with additional losses from the Saints and Packers though.

Green Bay Packers can clinch NFC North with a win against the Vikings.  Or the Vikings can clinch a playoff berth with a win or Rams loss.

Dallas Cowboys can clinch NFC East with a win against the Eagles.

As far as I can tell, the only playoff seeding that cannot be clinched is the final Wild Card spot in the AFC.  Though it is hypothetically possible the Steelers could wind up locking it all down if the Titans lose though.

2 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

With Week 15 in the books, every team that could clinch a playoff berth last week did.  Congratulations, New England, Green Bay, San Francisco (in spite the loss), Seattle, and Buffalo.  You earned it.

Here are the clinching scenarios for Week 16:

Baltimore Ravens can clinch homefield advantage with a win or losses for the Patriots and Chiefs.

New England Patriots can clinch AFC East with a win against the Bills.

Houston Texans can clinch AFC South with a win plus Titans loss.

Seattle Seahawks can clinch NFC West with a win plus 49ers loss.  Not sure if they'd clinch homefield with additional losses from the Saints and Packers though.

Green Bay Packers can clinch NFC North with a win against the Vikings.  Or the Vikings can clinch a playoff berth with a win or Rams loss.

Dallas Cowboys can clinch NFC East with a win against the Eagles.

As far as I can tell, the only playoff seeding that cannot be clinched is the final Wild Card spot in the AFC.  Though it is hypothetically possible the Steelers could wind up locking it all down if the Titans lose though.

A few things that are wrong.  

Texans can win division with a win OR a titans loss. 

49ers would still be able to win the NFC west with a loss vs the RAMS. The would likely(~87% after last nights saints win)  win the strength of victory tiebreaker.  The different games are

NO,GB,WAS for 49ers 

MIN, PHI, ATL for SEA 

49ers are currently +3 wins ahead assuming the beat the Seahawks of course in week 17 which they have to do. 

I’ve never seen the NFL or the sports media so desperate to announce a changing of the guard at the top player positions than this season. This ‘100 Years of NFL’ marketing campaign is almost entirely built around announcing a changing of the guard from the sports heroes of yesterday to the sports heroes of tomorrow. Over the past several years, they’ve tried to see this through with overhyping Colin Kaepernick, Jameis Winston, and even Russel Wilson to a degree. They’re going all in on Lamar Jackson now, with the sports media professing that this is the greatest single season a Quarterback has ever had. It’s getting to be just a little much at this point, and goes to show you how shallow sports and sports hype really is when it comes to growing their audience.

Edited by Yak