Knobbe

NFL 2019-20 Season Discussion

Sweet Damn!  I keep forgetting, this year, there's TNF <> I pick San Diego

[ By the way, when I first heard that black-cat part of MNF's game, it was by radio:  funnyman Kevin Harlan was doing the play-by-play, and I could've swore he said at one point,

"The cat is in the gun!"

I haven't re-listened to it, but here it is - hopefully in its entirety - if anyone wants to take a gander <> https://wtvr.com/2019/11/05/black-cat-runs-onto-field-delays-monday-night-football-game/ ]

12 hours ago, Bolt said:

Sweet Damn!  I keep forgetting, this year, there's TNF <> I pick San Diego

[ By the way, when I first heard that black-cat part of MNF's game, it was by radio:  funnyman Kevin Harlan was doing the play-by-play, and I could've swore he said at one point,

"The cat is in the gun!"

I haven't re-listened to it, but here it is - hopefully in its entirety - if anyone wants to take a gander <> https://wtvr.com/2019/11/05/black-cat-runs-onto-field-delays-monday-night-football-game/ ]

lol I didn't hear anything close to that. I thought maybe he said "The cat is on the run," but he didn't say that, either. You're hearing ghosts, @Bolt

12 hours ago, BO FB Offtackle Left said:

lol I didn't hear anything close to that. I thought maybe he said "The cat is on the run," but he didn't say that, either. You're hearing ghosts, @Bolt

maybe it was a Full Moon - Monday, get it? - and I was reminiscing about games of Tecmo past... MOON lining up in the gun.

Well, if he didn't say "The cat is in the gun!" he should've, 'cause it would've been funny as hell.

(I don't think I'll re-listen; case it turns out my imagination is funnier than Harlan)

tumblr_inline_obty2l9MNJ1ryu53m_1280.jpg

Edited by Bolt
image pop.

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

maybe it was a Full Moon - Monday, get it? - and I was reminiscing about games of Tecmo past... MOON lining up in the gun.

Well, if he didn't say "The cat is in the gun!" he should've, 'cause it would've been funny as hell.

(I don't think I'll re-listen; case it turns out my imagination is funnier than Harlan)

I liked that radio call because he talked about the cat before the play, and went seamlessly between calling the play and calling the cat. On TV they didn't show the cat until after the play was over. I didn't realize the cat was making moves the same time as Engram. "A black cat is running from the 20, to the near side the 10, from the 39 of Dallas here's a short throw down the middle caught by Engram, caught at the 35 went to the 30, now the cat is running the other way, and so is Engram, at the 30 to the 25, near the 24-yard-line of the Dallas Cowboys. It's a catch and run of 15. Now, the cat has stopped, at the 50." Hysterical.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:37 PM, Bolt said:

my preference-picks

Wk10

NYJ>nyg, SAI>fal, TEN>k.c, CIN>bal, CLE>buf, ARZ>t.b, DET>chi, IND>mia, CAR>g.b, LAR>pit, COW>vik, SEA>s.f

Don't give-up on Darnold, Jets:

the guy's got a fuckin' pistol for a weapon.

(See that Crowder TD, just-now?)

Has there ever been a QB who has done so little post-season play in his career, yet retained a starting job longer than Matthew Stafford?

8 hours ago, Yak said:

Has there ever been a QB who has done so little post-season play in his career, yet retained a starting job longer than Matthew Stafford?

Good question.  Andy Dalton is probably second behind Stafford in that regard, and with much better teams and culture behind him to boot.  The only starting quarterbacks who have been around longer than Stafford are Brady, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Eli, and Rodgers, and aside from the utterly snake-bitten Rivers, they've all won Super Bowls (and even then, Rivers at least has consistently made it past the Wild Card Round).  Even Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan--who were drafted the year prior--had both reached the Super Bowl at some point in time in their careers.  So in that respect, no other quarterback in the NFL has been around as long as Stafford yet has had so little to show for it.

What held Andy Dalton back was the fact that Marvin Lewis was simply a lousy post-season head coach with virtually no control over his players.  What's held Stafford back, however, is the simple fact that the Ford family have no idea how to run a football team--nor do they care to learn--and as a result, has never had a stable football team or culture around him.  Does he have a good offensive line?  A good defense?  Running game?  How about receivers aside from Calvin Johnson (who made like Bernie Sanders and retired in his prime)?  How about defense?  Come to think of it, 2014 was pretty much the Lions' pinnacle behind Stafford since they sported the second best ranked defense behind the Seahawks that year, they had Calvin Johnson, and they had all the pieces lined up for Super Bowl contention if only they had beaten Green Bay the final week.

The way things are going, Stafford is probably the single greatest quarterback to have never made it past the Wild Card, much less had a team ranked higher than the 6th seed.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:13 AM, Mike Gordan said:

What held Andy Dalton back was the fact that Marvin Lewis was simply a lousy post-season head coach with virtually no control over his players.

What held Andy Dalton back is that unless his offensive line can form a protective cocoon around him he falls apart

On 11/11/2019 at 4:50 PM, Yak said:

I"m right here bro

tumblr_nexurauXLP1rge9rdo1_500.jpg

^  Liberty Biberty

/ No - Ravens:  be'x they beat Patriots = Hella Confidence-factor;  +... they're playing @ BAL.

Boom Shaka Laka

... NYJ>wak, SAI>buc, DEN>min, DOL>buf, JAX>col, DET>cow, CAR>atl, ARZ>s.f, PHI>pat, CIN>rai, LAR>chi, LAC>k.c

Thinking about doing a Power Ranking from the absolute worst to the absolute best teams of the entire decade.  Rather than basing it solely on my own opinions on the matter, however, I will be using a point system.  Simply put, a team gets one point for either a winning season or a playoff berth; if they get both, then they will be given three points instead.  The primary reason I am doing this is to prevent stalemates--especially since it's looking increasingly likely that neither the Browns nor the Buccaneers will be making the playoffs this decade.  Afterwards, the scoring system will be loosely based on Formula One scoring system, which will play out as follows:

1. Super Bowl Champions:  30 Points
2. Super Bowl Runner-Up:  24 Points
3. Conference Best Record:  18 Points
4. Conference Worst Record:  15 Points
5. Division Best Record:  12 Points
6. Divison 2nd Best Record:  10 Points
7. Division 3rd Best Record:  8 Points
8. Division Worst Record:  6 Points
9. Wild Card Best Record:  4 Points
10. Wild Card 2nd Best Record:  2 Points
11. Wild Card 3rd Best Record:  1 Point
12. Wild Card Worst Record:  0 Points

It's not identical to how Scoring system works, but again, I did this to prevent ties.  Also, by record, I am completely discounting whether or not the team won the division title or not.  The record is all that matters.  In the case of a tie, all teams involved in said tie will get the highest-valued score while the next one up gets skipped (for example, the 2013 Patriots and 49ers--even though one was a division title winner and the other was not, would both be gifted 18 points, with 4th place getting skipped over entirely).

And yes, going by this scoring system alone, it's painfully obvious that even if the Patriots lost out and missed the playoffs this year, they'd easily top the Power Rankings for the decade.  And it's fairly obvious who the bottom two teams happen to be.  But what about the teams ranked from numbers' 2-30?  Bet a lot of us are interested in knowing where our favorite teams rank.

Of course, I'm awfully busy with my essays as well as my book.  So stay tuned.

I'm going to say the Raiders as there wasn't much to suggest this size of turnaround.

The BILLS record is QUITE inflated due to playing an even easier schedule than the Patriots laughably easy one. . Their average team played is bottom 5 in the league bad.  They are probably a 4 or 5 win team with an average schedule. 

They've played the Jets, Giants, Bengals, Pats, Titans, Dolphins, Eagles, Redskins, Browns and Dolphins. 

Ther 49ers turnaround while more dramatic than expected was also more likely given better health than last year where they were just decimated with injuries, some key additions (Bosa, Dee Ford)  . But they are probably going to come back to earth a bit with a very difficult remaining schedule.  

Just to prove my point that the Patriots being so dominant is helped by their entire division being utter trash throughout this decade, the Bills and Dolphins currently reside tied for the third worst team in the NFL this decade.  Both teams were one-year playoff teams that were instantly sent home in the Wild Card Round.  The Jets, meanwhile, rank number 23 due to nearly every single team ranked below them being one-year wonders at best (the Lions and Redskins were the only teams in the bottom ten to have made multiple playoff appearances).

I still need to resolve a couple of ties.  For example, I need to find a way to settle a tie between the Bears and Cardinals.  The problem is, both teams had one winning season without a playoff appearance, one trip to the Conference Championship with the third best record (shared or otherwise), and one one-and-done with the best record in the Wild Card Round.  The Panthers and Colts are also strangely enough tied, as well as the Bills and Dolphins, but at least the Colts and Bills stand a reasonably decent shot at making the playoffs--or just shy of that, a winning season.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:37 PM, Bolt said:

my preference-picks

Colts>texans ...

SEA>phi, NYJ>oak, DET>wak, CAR>n.o, CLE>mia, CIN>pit, CHI>nyg, DEN>buf, ATL>t.b, JAX>ten, DAL>n.e, S.F>g.b, LAR>bal

Edited by Bolt
I got Colts "wrong" - fake NFL - anyway.