Special Ending

VGifted

• 1 month later...

The special ending is all there is. No legacy players, but there is a trade mode. 

Easiest team to win 3 consecutive SBs with is the Cowboys, if you just want to see how the special ending plays. Their 1992 and 1993 squads are true to the seasons they represent and they are hands down, the best team in those 2 seasons. In all of my time of running this game, I strangely find the 1993 Cowboys tougher in the playoffs than their 1992 version and I think this is because in 1993, they completely destroyed their opponents with ease. Dallas was up 28-7 over the 49ers at one point in the 1993 NFCCG and despite being down 6-13 to Buffalo at halftime in the SB, there was never a moment in that game that it felt like they were in trouble, Buffalo still got throttled in that game. 

In the 1994 season, they are still a top team and the team to beat in the playoffs. I once had Dallas come back from a 24 point deficit against the 49ers and take the lead in the final seconds over me. 

It's possible to do with the 49ers, but Dallas gives them serious problems in the playoffs and their defense is not a great unit in 1992 and 1993. The '92 and '93 Niners teams have some serious flaws on defense when they are playing elite teams, usually by getting gashed by the run. Their defense can be amazing in 1994 cause they have such a stacked roster with elite talent, but not the previous years. Any time I get an SF/Dallas playoff match, it's always a nail biter with the 49ers, even when I have a big lead on them (Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin turn into Tecmo Gods and wreck their defense). Dallas on the other hand, will throttle them with no problem in all 3 seasons. 

I think if you want a real challenge though, try the 3 peat with the Oilers. I actually did achieve a full 19-0 run with the Oilers in the 1992 mode. I went a full 16-0 in the regular season with only the Lions giving me the infamous "juice" game where I had a tough time beating them (needed a comeback to barely beat them). In the SB, I got Dallas and held them off for a 21-18 win. This was a rare season where I absolutely throttled Buffalo in the playoffs, usually the Bills are my biggest issue in this game. 

In the 1993 season, Houston's defense is actually better and I think you could argue that their defense is even better than their offense cause they can become a dominant unit if you run Nickel a lot and use the front 4 to get run stops (Fuller and Childress are your keys to run stops). The offense takes a few steps back as Moon loses some of his consistency, but is still a great QB. Their play book is more opened up for running too. 

The 1994 season though is the real challenge. Their defense is still good and will get you some wins, but good luck with the QB combo of Cody Carlson and Bucky Richardson. They are like the equivalent of Curtis Painter as the starting QB of the 2011 Colts. You will be relying entirely on your still sold WR corps to make these two guys look respectable at times. Fortunately for you; the AFC is the weaker conference in all 3 seasons and in 1994, you don't have to worry about the Buffalo Bills anymore. Buffalo in '92 and '93 are your biggest obstacle in the AFC and they truly can be a tough team to face in the playoffs (Buffalo is the one team I have the most issues with in the playoffs of this entire game), but they aren't a problem in 1994 cause they most likely won't even reach the post season. 

Edited by _DEBERG

On 4/12/2019 at 5:49 PM, VGifted said:

I love the special ending in tsb3. the 90's was the best decade of NFL without a doubt.

Agreed. From 1982 to 1998 is about my favorite era all together for the NFL. That was the era of the dominant, juggernaut teams that fill up lists of GOAT teams. Some of the best QB classes and head to head QB showdowns (sadly they were mostly blow outs like 1984 and 1989), not to mention historic defenses. I hated the 49ers back then, as well as the Dallas dynasty (who didn't?) but it was actual greatness we were witnessing. IMO the 1991 Redskins are the GOAT team and I am grateful now that I was able to witness them.

The NFL looked better back then too. The old kelly green Eagles, pastel blue and white Oilers, orange crush Broncos, aqua and white Dolphins, creamsicle Bucs, blue and yellow Rams, silver and blue Seahawks, etc etc. I liked these colors so much better than what these teams changed to. It seemed some time in the late 90's, teams began changing their colors and making them darker. This led to navy blue becoming the most overused color in the NFL and IMO a lot of these teams lost their charms when they changed to darker colors. The only two teams who changed to darker colors that I think did it well was Denver and New England, and yet Denver's uniforms did not look right until a few years ago when they finally switched the navy blue to orange for home jerseys. Every time the Dolphins and Bucs break out their throwback jerseys, the fans say they look better than the current uniforms they wear. 

The only 90's year I didn't like was 1999 cause the league was so weak at the time. From 1999 to 2001, those 3 years were weak points for the whole league. The 1999 Rams and 2000 Ravens both had some of the easiest schedules ever of SB winning teams with the Rams ranking #1 at easiest SOS and Baltimore's list of opposing QBs in 2002 was truly pathetic. Things improved after 2001 with better teams, but I don't think there ever would've been 7 win teams making the playoffs back in the 80's or 90's, let alone those mediocre teams winning their wildcard games. 

Edited by _DEBERG

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, kamphuna8 said:

This seems worth pursuing for me too

The hack is to sim the seasons and then to reset until you get the correct team to win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...