Basics of TSB Sim Computations

Jp80Rice

Hi - new member - apologies if this is a somewhat basic question:

How does TSB runs its sim calculation to determine game outcomes?  I know they give each team a 0-15 rating for its offense and a 0-15 rating for its defense, but I'd love to know how they actually determine head-to-head results.

Here's an example of something I'd like to understand better:

Pittsburgh has sim values of 6 on offense and 14 on defense.  Houston is 10 on offense and 8 on defense.  So the Steelers have a slightly higher overall rating.

But if you sim those two teams against one another, Houston wins well above 50% of the games.  (And obviously Pittsburgh doesn't make the postseason very often when simulating a season.)

I wonder a) how they weight the offensive and defensive ratings and b) whether any individual player ratings impact the sim outcomes.  Curious as to what actual calculation/randomization method is used by the computer.

Thanks for any thoughts,

John

We figured out awhile back that its not sim offense and sim defense. Its SIM RUSH DEFENSE AND SIM PASS DEFENSE. And yes the offensive player sim values definitely impact the outcome of the game. The individual defensive values (sack and int) don't really affect the outcome of a play but are used to determine who gets an int or sack if one occurs.

It actually simulates the game on a play by play basis even in SKP mode. The calculations are not simple to follow. That would be a big long post I don't wish to do right now.