Status of Tecmo Madison?

hankthetank

So it seems that Tecmo XV is going to be held in New York which is just fine.  The only question that I have is will there still be a Madison event?  It would be a damn shame if there wasn't hopefully it will just be another event and there will be a Madison event preferable by Dave however if he isn't up to it hopefully another tournament will be held in Madison.

When Milwaukee seemed on death's door, Mort stepped up and made a tournament happen for those that wanted it on short notice.  It sounds like he's willing to do something similar.

All signs point to Mort advancing the timeline of his 2019 TPC tournament to April tournament to fill the void within reasonable driving distance of Madison, as there seems to be demand for Tecmo in April.

Option 1) Chicago or a surrounding region of Chicago(Mort and Flo's home field advantage)

Option 2) Milwaukee(Chris Case has some connections to a larger venue than Boomers)

Option 3) Madison(PunkyQB has some connections in that area to lock down a suitable venue)

If this does in fact happen, a number of people have already pledged to assist with equipment, setup ETC.  I wouldn't expect anything near the spectacle of past Madison tournaments, but at least the demand would be filled for those willing to stretch themselves outside of the Madison zip code assuming option 1 or 2 is what ultimately happens.

In the meantime, I'd suggest making sure to hit up Tundra, Tomczak, our Feb 22nd event, Kumite, and anything else regional, as I'm sure each of them are likely to see a surge in participation given this recent announcement.  Support the tournaments out there that exist, when you can, while they still exist.  

10 hours ago, hankthetank said:

So it seems that Tecmo XV is going to be held in New York which is just fine.  The only question that I have is will there still be a Madison event?  It would be a damn shame if there wasn't hopefully it will just be another event and there will be a Madison event preferable by Dave however if he isn't up to it hopefully another tournament will be held in Madison.

Very doubtful Dave will hold a tourney in Madison in 2019.

For those not on Facebook or Discord it was announced this weekend that the next "Tecmo Madison" will be in NYC this fall.  Here is the link to the group.

1 hour ago, trojan1979 said:

All signs point to Mort advancing the timeline of his 2019 TPC tournament to April tournament to fill the void within reasonable driving distance of Madison, as there seems to be demand for Tecmo in April.

Up until the last couple of years the event was held in March. People went to the event because of the the event, not the time.  Most people hold events when it works for them; taking advantage of an opportunity seems like something that would work in this particular instance. 

2 hours ago, Knobbe said:

Up until the last couple of years the event was held in March. People went to the event because of the the event, not the time.  Most people hold events when it works for them; taking advantage of an opportunity seems like something that would work in this particular instance. 

Whatever ends up happening, let's hope all those that want a Tecmo experience in their area can continue to experience it.  Best of luck in NYC.

3 minutes ago, trojan1979 said:

Whatever ends up happening, let's hope all those that want a Tecmo experience in their area can continue to experience it.

If Chicago is in the area, then there is already good events in the area.  Otherwise it's not real hard for someone in Madison to decide to have a tourney...people here do so all the time.

I do concur with your assessment that Dave had done a great job in giving the people in Madison a local tecmo event to experience for the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, Knobbe said:

If Chicago is in the area, then there is already good events in the area.  Otherwise it's not real hard for someone in Madison to decide to have a tourney...people here do so all the time.

I do concur with your assessment that Dave had done a great job in giving the people in Madison a local tecmo event to experience for the last couple of years.

Not quite sure you read my last post correctly.  No performance based comments were made or implied in my statement.

I have to ask. Why? Why move the tournament? I've got many reasons as to why not and I will list them. I'm all for hearing the reasons but the Madison tournament is THE tournament. Why does it need moved? The only more centrally located place would be Chicago if it was to be moved IMO. It would add an hour or two travel time for the guys west of Chicago but also cut the travel time down for the guys East of Chicago. Win-Win if you ask me. On to my concerns/reasons I guess.

1. There are by far more tournament attending players in the midwest than anywhere. Most of the heaviest hitters are located there as well.

2. Madison seemed to already have the name for "Biggest TSB tournament" already locked up. ESPN even says this. Is it still going to be called Tecmo Madison in NYC? Name brands after all seem to have a way of sticking.

3. EVERYTHING is much cheaper in Madison...hell, the midwest overall than it will ever be in NYC. NYC is expensive. A hotel room will probably be minimum $150 a night and who knows what kind of neighborhood/distance from the venue. Not to mention the cost of getting there and food and beverages. Again, all insanely higher.

4. And to my very first question mentioned above. Why? Why move the tournament? Unless the prize pool reaches several tens of thousands more and there are many more payouts, it is simply not worth it money wise to even to go. It takes a $150-$200 round trip (guessing an average, I know some people spend quite a bit) expense trip to Madison to at least $500 on average just to attend the tournament in NYC.

I'm not criticizing, I guess I just need to hear the reasons as to why. Madison is the tournament. The location is almost perfect. Again, Chicago would be my choice if moved simply because it is central to the guys in the east and west.

First and foremost, thanks to Chet, Josh and Dave for all the Great Madison Tecmo tournaments. You truly spoiled the Madtown faithful.

From the Hasselbeck announcement, it’s hard to tell what the long term future of Tecmo tournaments here truly is, but it seems fairly certain that there won’t be a tournament here this year.

Nonetheless, I’d like to see something continue to happen in my city. Thus, I’d be willing to help make that happen. If other folks feel the same, let’s follow the lead of Milwaukee and throw a smaller tourney here in the meantime.

19 minutes ago, trojan1979 said:

Not quite sure you read my last post correctly.  No performance based comments were made or implied in my statement.

You're right. I had forgotten you've never been to a Tecmo Madison.

For what it's worth, it was great to work with everyone at Tecmo Madison the past two years. Being able to step into a new type of broadcast, and meeting new people almost as nerdy as I am about the intersection of sports and video games, made for a great experience. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to have that in 2019, but I appreciate having had the opportunity for the last two years!

(I am the local yokel who helped on the live streams of Tecmo Madison the past two years. I ate a cheeseburger while calling one of the games)

13 minutes ago, jimmiekaska said:

For what it's worth, it was great to work with everyone at Tecmo Madison the past two years. Being able to step into a new type of broadcast, and meeting new people almost as nerdy as I am about the intersection of sports and video games, made for a great experience. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to have that in 2019, but I appreciate having had the opportunity for the last two years!

(I am the local yokel who helped on the live streams of Tecmo Madison the past two years. I ate a cheeseburger while calling one of the games)

A great job you did too!  I was impressed with the increased Tecmo knowledge from one year to the next.

@PunkyQB since this post it appears that Mort is going to in fact run his TPC event in Chicago April 13th.  He stated he's not targeting anything large, and I do know there is much higher buy in($100).  The idea is to build the pot quickly between a smaller of experienced and elite players, essentially skipping over the typical mismatches one might see in a seeded group play stage tournament.  That being said, the number of games you play is more than 10(based on last time) so it's not a bad value.  Chances are that I'll be involved on some level with it, either on the broadcast side of things, and perhaps in additional equipment.

If you do decide to run something in the Madison area near the same time frame, chances are that I cannot attend it, but I'd be happy to lend a half dozen setups(game, controllers, console, cables, CRT) as long as you can come get them/bring back in a reasonable time frame.

Sorry for the double post.  Mort's tournament posting just went live over on Tecmoworld.

http://tecmoworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=1557&t=47992&fbclid=IwAR3JhgCIad4pmuRpzatdI9DUKCRkntt7kOttvocrO8LsvruE-jIkw3bDkEk

41 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

image.png

I'm not getting that "Support the tournaments out there that exist, when you can, while they still exist." feeling here.

Yikes! I would expect some waves from moving the tourney out of Madison, but not this harsh.

Why not move it to Minneapolis? I know some good spots to hold it, and it's a central hub with a huge airport...

I don’t know why Dave didn’t contact Sammie Smith first.  I am sure he would of held it at his estate in Miami.  That is  what I expected when the video popped up and then Hasslebeck appeared.  That more shocking then anything. Sammie’s place is probably only two hours from Dave’s.   

37 minutes ago, SammieSmith33 said:

I don’t know why Dave didn’t contact Sammie Smith first.  I am sure he would of held it at his estate in Miami.  That is  what I expected when the video popped up and then Hasslebeck appeared.  That more shocking then anything. Sammie’s place is probably only two hours from Dave’s.   

Its a split foyer just off the freeway by the good Applebee’s.

7 hours ago, Knobbe said:

image.png

I'm not getting that "Support the tournaments out there that exist, when you can, while they still exist." feeling here.

Mort is officially an "Chicagy-Ian" who wears his windy words of his sleeves. I hope we stop referring to the Tournament as "TecmoMadsion". Just #TecmoVX or whatever. I hope the website address is changed too. Just To avoid confusion to where the tourney is. Shotouts to Chet, Josh, Even Orenga and Jon Bailey who all ran great Tm's in the past. I knew something was up last year so that's why i got my tecmo sweater autographed. The online beefing is got to stop. 

1 hour ago, red98sethuthut said:

Mort is officially an "Chicagy-Ian" who wears his windy words of his sleeves.

I would wonder if he remembers why he is mad in the first place and upon recalling the grievances how familiar the face of them looks.

6 hours ago, red98sethuthut said:

The online beefing is got to stop. 

Nothing has changed in these parts. We're all still buds here. A group of people have developed a hive-mind and sequestered themselves to their own corner. No one here has any issues with anyone. One guy isn't allowed on Discord because of some shady crap and now look where we are. There's no beef to stop here because there is no beef. We all wish that everyone felt this way but friendships are going up in flames over a single platform ban (Discord) of one person. 

Hope to see you at Tecmo XV and hug like usual. No need to do your Tecmo Madison burial because Tecmo Madison isn't over yet.

19 hours ago, Beef Juice said:

Also if you want a smaller tournament and not spend $100 to play in it, Tomczak Bowl is $30 and only an hour and a half from Madison.

In my experience the people who live in Madison are very lucky to be within a 1:30 drive to the Tomczak Bowl because any time that @moulds33 and I can manage to get together we still talk about having our minds blown at the Tomczak Bowl.

5 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

In my experience the people who live in Madison are very lucky to be within a 1:30 drive to the Tomczak Bowl because any time that @moulds33 and I can manage to get together we still talk about having our minds blown at the Tomczak Bowl.

Yeah but that's because you guys got to see the band, JANUS afterwards.

1 minute ago, Beef Juice said:

Yeah but that's because you guys got to see the band, JANUS afterwards.

There are two types of people in the world: Those who have been to the Tomzcak Bowl and those who have not.  I'm privileged to live in former. Janus forever.