Sign in to follow this  
Mike Gordan

Week 14 Pick 'ems 2018-2019

After a week full of upsets, it's now time to move on and hope for something more stable:

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Tennessee Titans

New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers @ Cleveland Browns

Atlanta Falcons @ Green Bay Packers

Baltimore Ravens @ Kansas City Chiefs

New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins

New Orleans Saints @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New York Giants @ Washington Redskins

Indianapolis Colts @ Houston Texans

Cincinnati Bengals @ Los Angeles Chargers

Denver Broncos @ San Francisco 49ers

Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Oakland Raiders

Detroit Lions @ Arizona Cardinals

Los Angeles Rams @ Chicago Bears

Minnesota Vikings @ Seattle Seahawks

@Mike Gordan:        TEN, BUF, CLE, GB, KC, MIA, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, DET, LAR, SEA

@TecmoSuperFanTEN, BUF, CAR, ATL, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, DET, LAR, SEA

@gojiphen malor:     TEN, BUF, CLE, ATL, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, PHI, PIT, DET, LAR, SEA

@Knobbe:                 TEN, BUF, CLE, GB, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, ARI, LAR, SEA

@BigCat71:              TEN, BUF, CAR, GB, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, DET, CHI, SEA

@Miles Prower:         n/a, BUF, CLE, GB, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, ARI, CHI, SEA

@drummer4god:      TEN, NYJ, CLE, GB, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, ARI, LAR, SEA

1st:  Mike Gordan:  0-0 (125-67)
2nd:  Knobbe:  0-0 (122-70)
3rd:  gojiphen malor:  0-0 (120-72)
4th:  BigCat71:  0-0 (118-74)

5th:  drummer4god:  0-0 (111-81)
6th:  Miles Prower:  0-0 (109-83)

7th:  TecmoSuperFan:  0-0 (108-84)

This time, I've decided to make all of my picks in right away.  Just to spice things up a bit.

Edited by Mike Gordan

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Tennessee Titans > Titans

New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills > Bills

Carolina Panthers @ Cleveland Browns > Panthers for bold pick of the week

Atlanta Falcons @ Green Bay Packers > Falcons

Baltimore Ravens @ Kansas City Chiefs > Chiefs

New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins > Patriots

New Orleans Saints @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers > Saints

New York Giants @ Washington Redskins > Giants

Indianapolis Colts @ Houston Texans > Texans

Cincinnati Bengals @ Los Angeles Chargers > Chargers

Denver Broncos @ San Francisco 49ers > Broncos

Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys > Cowboys

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Oakland Raiders > Steelers

Detroit Lions @ Arizona Cardinals > Lions

Los Angeles Rams @ Chicago Bears > Rams

Minnesota Vikings @ Seattle Seahawks > Seahawks

Predicted winners: Tn, Buf, Car, GB, KC, NE, NO, NYG, Hou, LAC, Den, Dal, Pit, Det, Sea

So picking all the faves except for my 1 upset special: my team Chi beats my SB pick LAR on SNF!

Carolina Panthers @ BROWNS1

giphy.gif

I'm going to hold on to my primary picks for the time being.  One thing though; if Chase Daniels is going to start for the Bears yet again, then I'm changing my pick to the Rams.  Considering the effort he put out on the field last week against the Giants, it only makes sense to do such a thing.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, Mike Gordan said:

@Mike Gordan:        TEN, BUF, CLE, GB, KC, MIA, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, DET, CHI, SEA

@TecmoSuperFanTEN, BUF, CAR, ATL, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, DET, LAR, SEA

@gojiphen malor:     TEN, BUF, CLE, ATL, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, PHI, PIT, DET, LAR, SEA

@Knobbe:                 TEN, BUF, CLE, GB, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, ARI, LAR, SEA

@BigCat71:              TEN, BUF, CAR, GB, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, DET, CHI, SEA

@Miles Prower:        n/a

@drummer4god:      TEN, NYJ, CLE, GB, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, ARI, LAR, SEA

1st:  Mike Gordan:  1-0 (126-67)
2nd:  Knobbe:  1-0 (123-70)
3rd:  gojiphen malor:  1-0 (121-72)
4th:  BigCat71:  1-0 (119-74)

5th:  drummer4god:  1-0 (112-81)

6th:  TecmoSuperFan:  1-0 (109-84)
7th:  Miles Prower:  0-1 (109-84)

I already made my choices, so there you go.  I suppose I could explain a few things.

On paper, the Panthers should beat the Browns, even with the loss of TE Greg Olsen.  But they've clearly lost their luster on that fateful Thursday night against the Steelers, and they haven't been able to so much as buy a win to save their lives since.  The Browns may have gotten destroyed last week as well, but at least the team is relatively healthy and is overall starting to gain some confidence again.  Plus, it's in Cleveland too.  Which is why I'm picking the Browns.  Now it's the Panthers' turn to prove themselves to me.

The Falcons and Packers game was ultimately decided by the question of who the home team was, and who is more likely to succeed--and unshackled Aaron Rodgers, or a Falcons squad that seems to have all but given up by this point?  Under normal circumstances, I'd hate to pick between these two teams, but I have to.

Picking the Dolphins to beat the Patriots seems like a suicidal pick on paper--of course the Patriots are gonna win that game, right?  Well, don't be so sure.  It's being played in Miami; the Dolphins still have a trip to the playoffs on the line; and they have been notorious for playing the Patriots tough in Miami.  Outside of their 2016 campaign (ironic since they made the playoffs that year) the Dolphins have won at least 1 home game against the Patriots every year since 2013.  They even ultimately ended the Patriots' bid for homefield advantage throughout the playoffs following a dominant 10-0 start back in 2015 during their season finale!  Yeah, I don't think the Dolphins are particularly good; and for all I know, they probably will lose again.  But I can't completely discount the possibility of yet another upset at the hands of the Dolphins.  If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

The Eagles and Cowboys game is relatively difficult to pin down because both teams are pining for playoff berths of their very own, especially the division itself.  With the loser likely looking up as far as playoff seedings go.  As of right now, the Cowboys are the hotter team, and that defense--considering what they have done against the Saints--is probably more than enough to subdue a Frank Reich-less Eagles offense.  Seriously, Frank Reich's departure to coach the Colts seems like a huge blow to that organization now that I think about it.

Similarly to the Falcons @ Packers game, Lions @ Cardinals is an ugly-as-sin game that under normal circumstances I would never even bother predicting an outcome.  So I suppose it's a good thing I am relatively a part of the crowd.  Knobbe's decision to go with the Cardinals does worry me though, so I guess I'm going to have to be rooting for the Lions in that game, huh?

The one last game left to talk about are the Rams and Bears.  And incidentally enough, I thought a while back that the Bears were one of two or three likely defeats the Rams would suffer this season (the other being the Saints, and presumably either the Seahawks or a meaningless season finale against the 49ers).  Mitchell Trubisky's situation does worry me though--at least enough to consider changing my pick.  But I'll wait for the weather over in Chicago to see what the conditions are going to be.  Needless to say, it's hard for a warm weather team like the Rams to play dominant football on a cold December night.  Throw in a bit of snow, and the conditions could potentially favor the Bears even more.  So we'll see.

And that's about it.  All of my other picks make perfect sense; we are in general agreement over them; and the outcome is likely to play out as expected.  The one big question mark might be the Giants @ Redskins, but considering that we are already in general agreement with the Giants (shocking), I don't think I owe an explanation.  It'd simply be foolish for me to change my pick now anyways.  Besides, I did state that the Giants match up well with the Redskins, so there.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Tennessee Titans - Why the fuck was this on a Thursday?

New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills - Josh Allen destroys the mediocre defense of the Jets, etc.

Carolina Panthers @ Cleveland Browns - Carolina chokes some more and gives up a game to those Browns.

Atlanta Falcons @ Green Bay Packers - The Packers blow everything up but still win because the Falcons are a fucking choke machine.

Baltimore Ravens @ Kansas City Chiefs - The Chiefs continue to slaughter everyone.

New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins - Tom Brady beats the shit out of division fodder en route to ANOTHER goddamn Super Bowl win.

New Orleans Saints @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Drew Brees recovers from the previous tomfuckery and continues killing everyone.

New York Giants @ Washington Redskins - The buttfumble proceeds to be massacred by a shit tier Giants squad.

Indianapolis Colts @ Houston Texans - Yadda yadda, Texans, yadda yadda hot streak, etc.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Los Angeles Chargers - The Bengals are just plain fucked.  Next.

Denver Broncos @ San Francisco 49ers - Case Memeum continues to somehow win games and uses bullshit magic to get the Broncos into the playoffs.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys - The Cowboys continue to win, which will lead to Jason Garrett STILL NOT BEING FUCKING FIRED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Oakland Raiders - No explanation required.

Detroit Lions @ Arizona Cardinals - Ah, here we are again.  WHY, Part 14: What the fuck rhymes with 14.  Matthew Stafford chokes to death on more superglue and the Cardinals somehow win.

Los Angeles Rams @ Chicago Bears - This could get interesting.  I'll take a risk and go with the Bears' defense here.  Now watch as they get torched to fuck.

Minnesota Vikings @ Seattle Seahawks - I don't even care if we win this, I'm not watching this.  We're already fucked, Vikings.

@Mike Gordan:        TEN, BUF, CLE, GB, KC, MIA, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, DET, LAR, SEA

@Miles Prower:         n/a, BUF, CLE, GB, KC, NE, NO, NYG, HOU, LAC, DEN, DAL, PIT, ARI, CHI, SEA

1st:   Mike Gordan:  7-2 (132-69)

2nd:  drummer4god:  7-2 (118-83)
3rd:  Knobbe:  6-3 (128-73)
4th:   gojiphen malor:  5-4 (125-76)
5th:   BigCat71:  5-4 (123-78)
6th:   Miles Prower:  5-4 (114-87)

7th:   TecmoSuperFan:  4-5 (112-89)

After careful consideration, I have decided to change my Bears pick to the LA Rams.  Again, it's too close to call.  Mitchell Trubisky is going to be back and healthy again.  And it's going to be in the 20's tonight in Chicago.  But from a talent point of view, the Rams are simply the safest pick I can make right now.

Also, what an incredibly derpy way for the Dolphins to beat the Patriots, wasn't it?  Even I have to admit that I was beginning to regret the pick myself.  That's kind of the reason why I am going back on my Bears pick and switching over to the Rams as well.  Would be a shame to win such a gutsy pick only to potentially lose two to Knobbe.  Also, I will be updating the main topic comment to reflect such a change, as well as to add in Miles Prower's selections as well.  Sorry I forgot.  Been playing too much Smash lately.

1st:  Mike Gordan:  10-5 (135-72)

2nd:  BigCat71:  9-6 (127-80)

3rd:  drummer4god:  9-6 (120-87)

4th:  Knobbe:  8-7 (130-77)
5th:  Miles Prower:  8-7 (117-90)
6th:  gojiphen malor:  7-8 (127-80)

7th:  TecmoSuperFan:  7-8 (115-92)

So, after quite an eventful day that featured quite a few upsets and one pick I changed my mind on that I wished I had back, I think it's time to wrap it up.  Aside from that switch from the Bears to the Rams, I feel really good about the selection that I made this week.  Mostly played it safe, but the Patriots pick was a huge gamble that ultimately put me over the top and allowed me to increase my lead considerably.  I'd be up by six points had I not fallen back into some bad habits again.  But I digress.

This is my first solo win this season, which amazes me considering that I have the lead at this point in time.  So providing everybody's picks tomorrow stay the same, it looks to stay that way.  So...good night, everybody!