Sign in to follow this  
Mike Gordan

Thanksgiving Weekend Pick 'ems 2018-2019

Hope everybody has a happy Thanksgiving weekend.  But before everybody heads off for the festive holidays, let us try to make our weekly Pick 'ems, especially for the Thanksgiving games before anything else.  Having said all of that, let's get started:

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions

Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Buffalo Bills

Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots @ New York Jets

New York Giants @ Philadelphia Eagles

San Francisco 49ers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers

Oakland Raiders @ Baltimore Ravens

Arizona Cardinals @ Los Angeles Chargers

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos

Miami Dolphins @ Indianapolis Colts

Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings

Tennessee Titans @ Houston Texans

@Mike Gordan:        DET, DAL, NO, BUF, CIN, NE, PHI, TB, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

@TecmoSuperFanCHI, DAL, NO, JAX, CIN, NE, NYG, SF, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, GB, HOU

@gojiphen malor:     CHI, DAL, NO, JAX, CIN, NE, PHI, TB, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

@Knobbe:                DET, DAL, NO, BUF, CIN, NE, PHI, TB, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

@BigCat71:              CHI, DAL, NO, JAX, CIN, NE, PHI, SF, SEA, BAL, LAC, DEN, IND, GB, HOU

@Miles Prower:       CHI, DAL, NO, JAX, CLE, NE, PHI, SF, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

@drummer4god:      CHI, DAL, NO, BUF, CLE, NE, PHI, SF, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

Mike Gordan:  0-0 (105-56)

TecmoSuperFan:  0-0 (90-71)

gojiphen malor:  0-0 (100-61)

Knobbe:  0-0 (101-60)

BigCat71:  0-0 (97-64)

Miles Prower:  0-0 (89-72)

drummer4god:  0-0 (67-47)

Yup.  I've already decided to make my picks, but for Thursday's Thanksgiving games.  I'll give my reasonings as to why later on.

Edited by Mike Gordan

BROWNS1 @ Cincinnati Bengals

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions > Bears

Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys > Cowboys

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints > Saints

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Buffalo Bills > Jaguars

Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals > Bengals

New England Patriots @ New York Jets > Patriots

New York Giants @ Philadelphia Eagles > Giants

San Francisco 49ers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers > 49ers

Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers > Panthers

Oakland Raiders @ Baltimore Ravens > Ravens

Arizona Cardinals @ Los Angeles Chargers > Chargers

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos > Steelers

Miami Dolphins @ Indianapolis Colts > Colts

Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings > Packers

Tennessee Titans @ Houston Texans > Texans

These faves: Chi, Dal, NO, Jax, Cin, NE, Phi, Bal, LAC, Indy, Hou

My upsets: SF, Sea, Den, & GB

After an epic MNF game KC & LAR lucky those players have their byes on this holiday wknd (that was scheduled bc was expected game would be in Mex even though not really a jet lag like going to Lon).

Speaking of this holiday my thoughts with the ppl of Pittsburgh and SoCal

Oakland Raiders @ Baltimore Ravens

Arizona Cardinals @ Los Angeles Chargers

giphy.gif

Edited by gojiphen malor

Thursday there is no place like home

Yeah, might as well make a statement for tomorrow's games now while I'm waiting for a Wild Squirtle on Route 25:

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions:  My initial pick was indeed going to be the Bears since they are a better football team, methinks.  But considering the possibility that the Bears will likely be without quarterback Mitch Trubisky (and who knows how well backup Chase Daniels will play in his stead), and since the Bears will be rematching the Lions a mere two weeks after their previous game, and since the Bears would only have had three days to prepare for the game (the Lions would have had extra hours worth of rest on the Bears), the Bears pick is now in hindsight more or less suspect.  I think that if Mitch Trubisky cannot play tomorrow, then the Lions are likely to win tomorrow morning.

Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys:  In stark contrast, we know that Alex Smith is done for the year, if not done, period.  Even then, the last time the two teams played, the Cowboys just narrowly lost on a botched field goal.  And that was when they were playing in Washington.  I think now, everything is now different.  If Dak Prescott plays a clean game, and Ezekiel Elliot continues to do his thing (alongside their defense), the Cowboys should be able to come out on top.

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints:  At this point, I might have to put the New Orleans Saints as a lock to win every home game going forward until they clinch homefield advantage.

I'll make the rest of my picks after Thanksgiving.  A few of them seem pretty obvious--the Patriots and Chargers most notably--but I'm not confident enough to make such a definitive statement on the rest of them.

2 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions:  My initial pick was indeed going to be the Bears since they are a better football team, methinks.  But considering the possibility that the Bears will likely be without quarterback Mitch Trubisky (and who knows how well backup Chase Daniels will play in his stead), and since the Bears will be rematching the Lions a mere two weeks after their previous game, and since the Bears would only have had three days to prepare for the game (the Lions would have had extra hours worth of rest on the Bears), the Bears pick is now in hindsight more or less suspect.  I think that if Mitch Trubisky cannot play tomorrow, then the Lions are likely to win tomorrow morning.

Be nice to see the home team win despite my pick.. but Marvin Jones AND Kerryon Johnson are OUT for Turkey Day..

Right now I feel like that hurts more than Trubisky out, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless!

Happy Thanksgiving!

"Miles is a lazy shitlord and probably takes a break from shitposting."

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions

New England Patriots @ New York Jets

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos

7 hours ago, gojiphen malor said:

Be nice to see the home team win despite my pick.. but Marvin Jones AND Kerryon Johnson are OUT for Turkey Day..

Right now I feel like that hurts more than Trubisky out, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless!

Happy Thanksgiving!

That is true.  I guess it ultimately depends on how well backup QB Chase Daniels can play in Trubisky's absence.  It wouldn't surprise me either way the outcome of this game to be honest.

Well, I'm about to look either incredibly foolish or incredibly brilliant.  I probably should have stuck with my initial Bears pick.  But we'll wait and see.  This team did lose to the Miami Dolphins and Brock Osweiller, you know.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Mike Gordan said:

@Mike Gordan:        DET, DAL, NO, BUF, CIN, NE, PHI, TB, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

@TecmoSuperFanCHI, DAL, NO, JAX, CIN, NE, NYG, SF, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, GB, HOU

@gojiphen malor:     CHI, DAL, NO, JAX, CIN, NE, PHI, TB, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

@Knobbe:                DET, DAL, NO,

@BigCat71:              CHI, DAL, NO, JAX, CIN, NE, PHI, SF, SEA, BAL, LAC, DEN, IND, GB, HOU

@Miles Prower:        CHI, DAL, NO, JAX, CLE, NE, PHI, SF, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

@drummer4god:      CHI, DAL, NO, BUF, CLE, NE, PHI, SF, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

Mike Gordan:  2-1 (107-57)

TecmoSuperFan:  3-0 (93-71)

gojiphen malor:  3-0 (103-61)

Knobbe:  2-1 (103-61)

BigCat71:  3-0 (100-64)

Miles Prower:  3-0 (92-72)

drummer4god:  3-0 (70-47)

Sorry I forgot to update the main topic for Miles Prower.  I was simply too busy having a happy Thanksgiving.  Though I will at least own up to being wrong in the Bears @ Lions game; turned out the QB play of both teams would ultimately be the wild card that would decide the outcome, and Matthew Stafford ended up throwing two killer interceptions that ultimately sealed his team's fate.  Now they are all but mathematically out of playoff contention alongside the Atlanta Falcons.  With that said, now's the perfect time to make the rest of my weekly pick 'ems!

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Buffalo Bills:  I find it a bit curious that only one person is willing to go with the Buffalo Bills so far.  I will at least admit that the Jaguars seem more loaded with talent on both sides of the ball compared to the Bills.  But thanks to the confidence-shattered turnover machine that is QB Blake Bortles, I honestly have no idea what it is that people see in the Jaguars that makes me think they could win.  Even though the Buffalo Bills don't have any offensive weapons to help Josh Allen--or really anybody else--elevate the rest of the team around them, they don't really need to light up the score board to win games.  Just force a crap ton of turnovers, while minimizing the damage your own players inflict.  This is the first time all year I'm going to do this, but for once, I'm going to have to pick the Bills to win this week.  I honestly do not see what people see in Jacksonville that can convince me they can win this thing.  Yes, I did project the Jaguars to win at least two more games before the season's out.  And who knows?  Maybe this will be one of those games.  But I honestly don't see how this team could since they match up so poorly with the Bills.  Especially since it's being played in Buffalo.

Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals:  If the Browns win this game, it may help cement their interim head coach Gregg Williams' resume and allow him to coach full time heading into next season.  Especially if they win out (or at least come close to winning out).  Right now, I am not confident enough in the Browns to go against the grain though, even though they are a statistically much better team overall than the Bengals at this point in time.  So this is going to have to be a "prove me" game before I can even think of picking the Browns to win on the road against the Bengals.

New England Patriots @ New York Jets:  Unless Brady's injury is serious enough to hinder his playmaking abilities rather severely, I'd go with the Patriots almost definitively.  Even if Brian Hoyer starts and finishes this game, I'm still fairly confident the Patriots will win this game.

New York Giants @ Philadelphia Eagles:  I can honestly see a scenario where the Giants actually pull away with an upset over the Eagles and all but eliminate the Eagles from competing for this weak-ass NFC East.  But I don't have the confidence in this team to back it up at this point in time, so I'm going to continue to follow the crowd and pick the Eagles.  Once again, this is what I would call a "prove me" game.

San Francisco 49ers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers:  Why am I choosing the Buccaneers to win over the 49ers?  Simple:  Two weak ass last place NFC teams from the West and East coasts respectively.  The home team generally wins as well.  Just so long as Jameis Winston doesn't emulate Fitzception and throw a metric ton of interceptions in the red zone, the Bucs and their shockingly top ranked offense should pull away from this one.

Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers:  This is such a tough game to pick that I don't really have much choice but to follow the crowd here.  Though this game will be a big game with serious playoff implications on the line.  Especially since the loser of this game likely won't be able to clinch a playoff berth come January.

Oakland Raiders @ Baltimore Ravens:  This one is an easy pick simply because the Oakland Raiders are one of the three worst teams in the league by a wide margin.  And they have to travel to the east coast to battle one of the better defenses in the NFL.  However, I will at least acknowledge that the Raiders could pull away with a huge upset here if only because of rookie QB Lamar Jackson's QB play.  I'm fairly certain he's going to start yet again this weekend.  And while he basically helped me build a lead over my own biggest competition, the fact remains that this kid could cost his team big time if they're not careful.  So don't consider this a vote of confidence like my Saints or Patriots pick.  Or even my next pick, which is....

Arizona Cardinals @ Los Angeles Chargers:  Honestly, this would have been my big Survivor Pick of the week if not for the maddening lack of consistency from the Chargers (which is why I chose the Saints for the second consecutive week).  With that said, the Arizona Cardinals are not exactly a talented team held back by awful coaching so much as they are a team just waiting to be put out to pasture and replaced and rebuilt by a younger, more talented football squad.  So really, the Chargers have no excuses here.  Chargers win.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos:  If I must be blunt, the Denver Broncos as a football team have proven themselves to be most definitely talented enough to beat anybody in this league.  So really, all of these losses come from the fact that our coaching just flat out sucks.  In fact, the Jaguars last week proved to us that the Broncos can win this game, especially since the Steelers are so bloody prone to play down to their competition once they start to feel cocky and arrogant.  So really, this is more or less a combination of me being a bloody pessimist about my own Denver Broncos under coach Vance Joseph, mixed with the fact that the crowd is still heavily in favor of the Steelers that I'm going to pick the Steelers to win.  It would be cool to be wrong for the second straight week, however.

Miami Dolphins @ Indianapolis Colts:  The Colts are on fire at this point, and are starting to look more and more like one of the premiere football teams in the league at this point.  Looking at both of their schedules, I do not have much reason to be optimistic for the Dolphins as a whole.  So as such, I'm going to have to pick the Colts to win this one.

Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings:  Now we get to see the Packers and Vikings settle their tie back in Week 2 to see which team is truly the better ball club.  And what stakes there are indeed; the losing team--especially if it happens to be the Packers--will be all but eliminated from playoff contention.  The loser either way would all but be eliminated from competing for the division crown at the very least.  This is probably the toughest pick of the week by far.  But I'm fairly certain that the Packers are on the brink of self-destructing, and taking Aaron Rodgers' career with them.  As such, the Vikings pull away with a victory here.

Tennessee Titans @ Houston Texans:  This would be a tough pick as well, but so far, everybody seems intent on picking the Texans to win this week.  So that's what I'm going to do as well.  The Tennessee Titans are so maddeningly inconsistent that I have no idea where to rank this team.  And besides that, who knows if Marcus Mariota will be healthy enough to start anyways.  Not that it matters since Blaine Gabbert did win both of his starts so far this season.

Oakland Raiders @ Baltimore Ravens

Arizona Cardinals @ Los Angeles Chargers

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Mike Gordan said:

@Knobbe:                DET, DAL, NO, BUF, CIN, NE, PHI, TB, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

@Miles Prower:       CHI, DAL, NO, JAX, CLE, NE, PHI, SF, CAR, BAL, LAC, PIT, IND, MIN, HOU

Mike Gordan:  10-4 (115-60)

TecmoSuperFan:  7-7 (97-78)

gojiphen malor:  10-4 (110-65)

Knobbe:  10-4 (111-64)

BigCat71:  10-4 (107-68)

Miles Prower:  10-4 (99-76)

drummer4god:  11-3 (78-50)

Since everybody's picking Houston to win tomorrow, I'm pretty much going to call the weekend as is.

Winner:  drummer4god (11-3)

Loser:  TecmoSuperFan (7-7)

Everyone else:  10-4

My big regret was switching from Chicago to Detroit.  Otherwise, methinks the only bad pick most everybody else made was Jacksonville and/or San Francisco.  Pittsburgh and Cincinnati were upset losses (though to be fair, Denver and Cleveland were both "prove-it" teams), while Seattle @ Carolina was tightly contested.