A couple noob questions

Isaac Howard

I know I probably should've posted this in the new user forum, but this one is a lot more active. My first question is, is there a way to play without the "juice" aspect? I mean like a way to play where teams are hard because they are hard, not because I have a winning season. I feel like the juice aspect just makes the game hard for no reason IMO, I wish there was a way where the only difficulty was based on how good the team I was playing is. I guess having a juiced rom kind of negates this right? Because all teams are at the hardest difficulty. But I don't know, that's why I ask. My next question is, what rom with new rosters is the best? I saw like 3 looking around and don't know which to pick.

The point of making it harder to beat teams after winning is so that the game will become more challenging as you progress.  This is what is referred to as "juice"

A "juiced rom" is where the difficulty is turned up all the time.

Attached is a rom, if I did this right, has "no juice".

No_juice.nes

5 minutes ago, Miles Prower said:

@Knobbe has all the roms as usual lmao.  Thanks, man.

I'd never actually messed with the juice before. Seemed like a good time to try.

The following commands should work with TSBTool and give a template for how this is applied. The actual hex locations are in the documentation section.

# The following line will make the computer play like you are in week 1 mode every week

JUICE(ALL,1)

# The following line will make the computer play like you are undefeated in week 17 every week.

JUICE(ALL,17)

# The following line will make the computer play you like you are Undefeated in week 17 (for week 1).

JUICE(1,17)

# The following line will make the computer play you like you are Undefeated in week 9 (for week 2).

JUICE(2,9)

12 hours ago, Isaac Howard said:

I know I probably should've posted this in the new user forum, but this one is a lot more active. My first question is, is there a way to play without the "juice" aspect? I mean like a way to play where teams are hard because they are hard, not because I have a winning season. I feel like the juice aspect just makes the game hard for no reason IMO, I wish there was a way where the only difficulty was based on how good the team I was playing is. I guess having a juiced rom kind of negates this right? Because all teams are at the hardest difficulty. But I don't know, that's why I ask. My next question is, what rom with new rosters is the best? I saw like 3 looking around and don't know which to pick.

It does feel cheap and its a reason I've never liked playing sports game in single player mode.  Many many many videogames use this sort of "rubberbanding." Tecmo does it on the season level where other games do it on in individual match level. There is a nother sort type of "juicing"  that goes in in tecmo where the coverage gets better as well and you won't find hardly anyone open. The problem is with no juice....the game is ridiculously easy because the computer AI is super simplistic in tecmo. Especially with regards to passing and the chase algorithm.  

Making a computer play like a human (AI)  is a very difficult thing.  

9 hours ago, Knobbe said:

I'd never actually messed with the juice before. Seemed like a good time to try.

The following commands should work with TSBTool and give a template for how this is applied. The actual hex locations are in the documentation section.

# The following line will make the computer play like you are in week 1 mode every week

JUICE(ALL,1)

# The following line will make the computer play like you are undefeated in week 17 every week.

JUICE(ALL,17)

# The following line will make the computer play you like you are Undefeated in week 17 (for week 1).

JUICE(1,17)

# The following line will make the computer play you like you are Undefeated in week 9 (for week 2).

JUICE(2,9)

A couple questions more I have about this. First off, could I use this to basically keep upping the juice until I feel like it is at a fair level? Almost like a difficulty setting for the game, instead of a gradual upscale in difficulty over time. Also, could I edit roms with the new rosters to have no juice? Thanks for the assistance

10 hours ago, Isaac Howard said:

Oh and if anyone sees this, another question. Why doesn't the SNES version seem to be any popular? The new features seem like welcome additions. Also, is there an updated 32 team roster for that game anywhere? Can't seem to find any

There isn't a 32 team edition for any SNES game

10 hours ago, Isaac Howard said:

A couple questions more I have about this. First off, could I use this to basically keep upping the juice until I feel like it is at a fair level? Almost like a difficulty setting for the game, instead of a gradual upscale in difficulty over time. Also, could I edit roms with the new rosters to have no juice? Thanks for the assistance

Load up any game with TSBTool and apply whatever juice numbers you want.

I can't tell you for sure if someone has edited their rom to the point where this would break so you'll simply have to try and out and see what happens.

You might find this thread helpful as well

If you wanted to play a game where the AI is every bit as challenging as playing against a human you'd almost have to go play the simulation sports games. They are fun if you are someone who is really into stats and getting 'realistic' results but there is very little actual gameplay involved. Front office football and stratomatic are two of the best simulation pro football games out there. But again they are more about building teams and what not than they are about playing the games.