Des Moines, IA - 11/3/2018 - Iowa Tecmo 5

noonan

Great time in Iowa!

Top Moments for Me:

1. The Calcutta:  it was an awesome set up.  I think Josh (HughMilleNation) said it best, “ It feels good to own someone.”  It added great excitement to the tournament.  Every participant was claimed.

2. Meeting new folks.  In my group I met Tony and Kris both from Iowa.  Also actually got to play Knobbe.  It was a good game.  First time playing him.  Also met Randywags who I have seen on discord but it’s nice to put a face to the name.

3. Great set up by Corey and Kyle.  The bar was awesome.  If your in Des Moines check out the Keg Stand.  Lots of IPA’s and old school games. Rampage and NBA Jam.  We had plenty of space.  Corey and Kyle do a good job.

4. Playing Kyle again.  Every Tourney I have been in the past four years at some point I have to play Kyle.  Each game is always a classic.  

5. Playing Kramer:  First time playing him in a tourney.  We have hung out plenty at tourney’s but this was the first time we played.  We had two good games were they came down to last drives.  

6. Going down to Iowa with the MN crew.  We took the van down with a Nintendo set up and had a round robin tourney while driving down.  Hanging out with the crew is great. We also switched drivers while still driving. Pretty impressive. 8-Bit should of rode with us. I sent him an invite too.

7. Corey thinking Nostradamus was The Peoples Champ.  Also thinking he was 6’8”.  The legend grows.  

8.  If you don’t know any of the players in Iowa, WI, IL, or Nebraska get to know them.  They are all great guys and fun to play and talk too.

Peters

Kramers’

Corey and Kyle

Knobbe

Randywags

Gats

Hank The Tank

Mort

Really great players and great people.  We have a good community.

9. I love playing Tecmo at live venues.  It’s the best.  Next stop Green Bay.

10. Thanks IOWA

15 hours ago, SammieSmith33 said:

7. Corey thinking Nostradamus was The Peoples Champ.  Also thinking he was 6’8”.  The legend grows.  

William Wallace: Yes, I've heard. Defeats Tecmo players by the hundreds. And if he were here, he'd consume the tournament with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Image result for william wallace

I can understand the confusion.  I met the People's Champ at the Hardcore Tecmo Championship in Chicago, and he must have said Nostradamus at least 20 times.

Congrats to Mort.  He certainly seemed to be on another level when I saw him on stream. 

Much thanks to @noonanstreaming the action all day.

16 hours ago, SammieSmith33 said:

Few things I saw the Peoples Champ do

“He once punched a hole in a cow just so he could see who was coming up the road.”

“He wears a live rattlesnake as a condom.”

“I once saw him scissor-kick Angela Lansbury.

This was by far the best Iowa tourney yet. Had a really loaded amount of talent in this one from top to bottom. Overall flow and time of things was prompt and went well. The auction thing was awesome and really brought some extra excitement to the tournament. Was glad to get lucky over Noonan both times I played and had a bit of luck again 8bit as well opening the game with an onside recovery! Got smashed by mort and gats. dab gummit. Hawkeye did a great job getting the bobble head trophy!

Overall I proved I am the best player in Iowa with a second straight 4th place finish and the top finish of any Iowa people. My only losses on the day were to Mort and Joey Gats. If your wondering the only person Mort lost to all day, it was me in pool play.

I was happy that the stars aligned for me and I was able to make one of these.  The Iowa guys have a great venue so in addition to getting to play Tecmo on a Saturday I also got to try out 4 Iowa IPA's I'd never tasted and watch Nebraska almost pull off the upset vs Ohio St.  Having groups of 5 play 4 games is something I might consider stealing in the future for my tourney. 

I wasn't better than any of the guys I beat in the tourney on Saturday; I was playing with deliberate focus though and tried not to let myself get caught up in any moments which is what put me in a position for success. Mort and Gats were playing on a high level that day so it was no surprise to see them playing each other for first place nor did it escape me that I benefited from being not on their side of the bracket.

There was a FG block glitch that ended with neither player being able to pick up the ball in the 4th quarter of a tied ballgame.  That was something you don't see every day and the resolution was to play on into OT.

Various action shots

The Calcutta

DrGmk_0UwAAdFWr.jpg

Warmups

DrF96ocUwAIl7m7.jpg

The aftermath of the glitch game.  (Almost the entire group was huddled around the TV at one point)

DrGGIeLV4AALHfQ.jpg

2 hours ago, Knobbe said:

Having groups of 5 play 4 games is something I might consider stealing in the future for my tourney.

This has worked magnificently for Tundra the last couple of years. We used to do groups of 4 (3 games) which worked, but was less games than I wanted to give people...but have since opened it to 5 (4 games) in group play, and seems to be the magic number for us. I’ve gotten really good feedback on it, and am planning with sticking to it for the foreseeable future. 

Let me see how well i can remember the calcutta

$85 Gats Owner Kyle 2nd Place 25% of Pool

$50ish Kyle 

$30 Mort Owner Peters and Jeremy Winner 75% of Pool

$30ish Noonan

$25ish Peters

$20ish 8-Bit Owner Gats

$20ish Jeremy

$10 Knobbe Split cost with Owner

$10 3 Other Minnesota Guys (not Smith or 8-Bit) Sammie Smith

$6 Hankthetank Owner Gats

$5 Noonan's coworker

5 hours ago, justinpeters51 said:

We miss Moulds33! Good to hear from you though!

I miss you guys too.  I'm definitely maybe gonna try to hopefully attend the Lincoln Tourney barring any kid birthday party emergencies.  I haven't touched an NES controller since the last Madison the Holzy bros ran.  Rumor around Lincoln is that the Godfather is pulling out all the stops for this one.

16 hours ago, moulds33 said:

I miss you guys too.  I'm definitely maybe gonna try to hopefully attend the Lincoln Tourney barring any kid birthday party emergencies.  I haven't touched an NES controller since the last Madison the Holzy bros ran.  Rumor around Lincoln is that the Godfather is pulling out all the stops for this one.

Nice, I am very excited to be able to make this one finally!