Berwyn, IL - 12/08/18 - The Equalizer 2 - Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

allamerican1569

Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament - The Equalizer 2

When - Saturday December 8, 2018

Where Michael Anthony's Pizzeria - 6434 W. Ogden Ave. Berwyn, IL 60402

Time Registration at Noon, Kickoff Time 12:30pm

Buy In - $20 - Registration through paypal to [email protected] or through website

https://www.paypal.me/retrosportsgamertom/20

Format:

20 players maximum

4 groups of 5 players playing round robin (4 games for each player)

-Groups will be separated by skill level, past tournament experience, TPC / online record.  Top players will all be grouped together; newer players will all be grouped together.

-Group play will use provided tier list for choosing matchups

All 20 players will advance to a single elimination playoff round based overall record in tournament and the draft lottery.

There will be a draft lottery for seeding based on your record after group play.  It is based on the five possible record outcomes:

Record - 0-4 - 20th seed will randomly be selected here, then seeds will continue to be selected until there is no player that was 0-4 left

Record - 1-3 - Seeds randomly selected until there are no players that were 1-3 left

Record - 2-2 - Seeds randomly selected until there are no players that were 2-2 left

Record - 3-1 - Seeds randomly selected until there are no players that were 3-1 left

Record - 4-0 - Seeds randomly selected until there are no players that were 4-0 left, 1st seed will be last player selected

20-team-seeded-tourney-bracket.thumb.gif.93141e8db92dc71400a890f6297681c5.gif

-Determined seeding for the single elimination playoff creates the order for players to choose their team for the remainder of the tournament.  (Tier 1 is excluded)  For example, the first seed chooses their team first, then the second seed, third seed etc.  20th seed gets last choice of team.

Prizes:

1st Place

- $300 Cash

2nd Place

- $100 Cash

Prizes are guaranteed

Returning Equalizer Champion @tecmobo is the #1 overall seed and has free entry

Rules:

1. Tier list for group play.  Winner of coin toss is player 1 and chooses tier.  Loser of coin toss chooses team from tier player 1 selected or a lower tier.  Winner of coin toss chooses team second from tier originally chosen or lower tier.

5932059ca9b12_TecmoTierList.thumb.jpg.894234002c1aa55f1930582b0d08041f.jpg

2. 49ers are allowed for group play.

3. We will not keep track of teams used during group play.  Choose the team that best suits you in group play under the tier list guidelines.

4. Customizing Playbooks and Lineup Changes.  You are allowed to change your selected team's playbook before each game.  Checking the change / substitution screen is allowed during gameplay.  Once per quarter for each player is the recommendation. 

5. WR/TE at RB: A WR/TE cannot carry the football unless it is a reverse. You can insert a WR or TE into a RB slot for lead blocking purposes, but he cannot carry the football. To further clarify, players such as Ernest Givins, Ricky Sanders, and Andre Rison cannot carry the football unless it is a reverse.

6.  No ties. If a game is tied when regulation concludes, a new game will be started until someone scores first.  Sudden Death!

7. Defensive Lineman Lurching is prohibited. In this tournament, lurching is defined by user controlling a defensive lineman, not engaging a blocker, then diving at the quarterback or running back.  If you go around the offensive line, you are allowed to dive at the quarterback.  Going through the offensive line is permitted with a defensive lineman, but diving at quarterback or running back would be considered lurching.

8. Nintendo Malfunctions: If there is an equipment failure in the first half, games will be replayed from the start. If equipment malfunctions in the 2nd half, only the second half is replayed. In that event, the scores from each half are added together to obtain a final score. If the game was uncompetitive or the equipment malfunctioned due to human error, the tourney organizers reserve the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game.

9. Tournament Disputes: Tom Stahnke is the tournament referee. He will decide all disputes unless he is a player in the game. If he is a player in the disputed game, Francis Buennagel will resolve the dispute.

10. Competitors are allowed to bring their own controller, but it has to be an official Nintendo rectangle controller, official Nintendo dogbone controller, or the official Hyperkin Cadet NES controller.

MAIN STREAM - https://www.youtube.com/theretrosportsgamer

Youtube-Gaming-logo.thumb.jpg.bf556d98204cb8c7fa05a6d12dfca100.jpg

STREAM 2 - https://www.twitch.tv/retrosportsgamertom
twitch-e1491600114230-796x398.thumb.jpg.590b0891d7c81a7bc3ff7f25893621cb.jpg

Players that register and can't make the tournament with at least one week notice will be fully refunded. 

Please contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions about the tournament.  Thanks!

Edited by allamerican1569

• DFM changed the title to Berwyn, IL - 12/08/18 - The Equalizer 2 - Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament
  • Knobbe pinned this topic
16 hours ago, tecmobo said:

Nice! No Dmen Tap for this one?

No, Phil knows about it.  The Michael Anthony’s owner asked if I was still doing retro gaming tournaments.   I figured I could keep this tournament there.  I have a long term relationship with this neighborhood bar / pizzeria.  Been going there since I was a kid.  Gives a chance to my local friends to come out and enjoy the tournament even if most of them don’t play.

9 hours ago, hankthetank said:

Great another tournament to lose money at count me in 

Don’t sell yourself short.  This kind of format is made for you.  If you get to draft a high powered passing team you will be dangerous in bracket play.  I just witnessed your Rams beat Toolie’s Chiefs while eating my lunch on Saturday.

1 hour ago, allamerican1569 said:

No, Phil knows about it.  The Michael Anthony’s owner asked if I was still doing retro gaming tournaments.   I figured I could keep this tournament there.  I have a long term relationship with this neighborhood bar / pizzeria.  Been going there since I was a kid.  Gives a chance to my local friends to come out and enjoy the tournament even if most of them don’t play.

It's awesome that you are including another venue.  My question is, why these friends wouldn't come to a tournament at Dmen Tap, which isn't that far away, when you have people coming from states away to be in it?

1 hour ago, allamerican1569 said:

Makes sense. Hopefully they've fixed their wifi since I think last time the stream didnt work very well.

1 hour ago, trojan1979 said:

It's awesome that you are including another venue.  My question is, why these friends wouldn't come to a tournament at Dmen Tap, which isn't that far away, when you have people coming from states away to be in it?

Driving in Chicago is a pain in the a$$.  In another city 5 miles away is like 10 mins.  Here it's a stressful 30 minute drive.  It would be like me asking my friends in cheektowaga bars that have a bare minimal interest in tecmo to hang out in a tourney in Niagara falls NY.  

Also if anyone wants to travel out I got space for 3 people at my apartment.  If some guys come Friday we can check out galloping ghost arcade which is near my apartment and the venue.

Edited by mort1237

1 hour ago, tecmobo said:

Makes sense. Hopefully they've fixed their wifi since I think last time the stream didnt work very well.

Streaming via wifi is usually a crap shoot at best, even if it's stable.  Using a wired connection to an stable LTE connection is usually better on the I/O of the PC.

You guys have been blessed with the Dmen wired connection.

1 hour ago, trojan1979 said:

They are homers that like to get drunk and walk home.

• DFM unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Registered and ready to rock!!

@Deleted Account lives a lot closer to Michael Anthony's than I do, I think, but I can host some folks if needed as well.

I live on the north side of Chicago, about a 40 minute drive from Michael Anthony's. Just in case it is worth someone's while.

• 2 weeks later...

Only a few weeks left until the Equalizer! Although this is much farther from my house (about 25 minutes as opposed to 9) I will be making it out for this one. I hope to see many of you there. This is another really fun tournament with some interesting wrenches thrown into it for some added fun. Last year I ended up with one of the very last picks and got to be the Cardinals. I upset Todd Daniels in round 1 and played a tough matchup against eventual champion and tecmo great Tecmo Bo. Hoping to get a better team this year and see what we can do!

DPS

Edited by Dan S

If you are coming out to The Equalizer 2, consider entering the NBA Jam: Tournament Edition (Sega Genesis) challenge against @Dan S (DPS) and myself. We are NBA Jam studs and we are putting our money where our mouth is.

Defeat either me or DPS in NBA Jam: TE in a one-on-one battle and you could win up to $25! 

Here are the rules:

1) Challenger may select ANY team of his choice.

2) Challenger selects how many tiers advantage he wants to have against us (5 total tiers). The tier handicap determines the level of the stakes ($).

3) We select our team based on tier disadvantage.

4) One-on-one match with standard settings: 3/timer speed, 3/cpu difficulty,  tag mode ON, Tournament Mode ON

Stakes: 

*  Winning with teams from the same tier = you win $25!      $0 paid if you lose.

*  Winning with 1 tier difference = $20.    $0 paid if you lose.

*  Winning with 2 tier difference = $10 for a win.     $0 paid if you lose.

*  Winning with a 3 tier difference = $10 for a win.      $5 paid if you lose.

*  Winning with a 4 tier difference = $10 for a win.     $10 paid if you lose .

Tiers:

382517023_jamtier.thumb.png.73d802172402310d587c048bc94ac0e6.png

Example:

Challenger takes the Knicks from tier 2. And they want a two-tier advantage. This means we can choose any team from tier 4 or lower. The stakes are $10 if the challenger wins, with $0 lost if they lose. 

So come out out and take our $$$ !!!

The tournament is up to 14 players, only 6 spots left! Here are the players signed up so far:

1. Tecmobo
2. Tom Stahnke
3. Mort
4. Hank the Tank
5. Pistol Pete
6. DPS
7. Slapshot Sean
8. Green Majik
9. Ryan D. (Weens)
10. Joe M. (RageQuit)
11. DKS
12. Brian Huang (The Gambler)
13. Kyle D. (Korn)
14. Lumberjack Cracks

@Green Majik and I are very excited to play some NBA Jam TE against some people and give them an opportunity to play against a couple of world record holders (no big deal). Come out for the Tecmo and stay for some NBA Jam!

For the players attending the tournament. 

Best places to park:

-Right next to Michael Anthony's on Elmwood Ave.

-Right on the street on Ogden Ave. on the Michael Anthony's side.

-The Laundromat parking lot on Ogden Ave. and Gunderson Ave. is fine.

-Any side street in Berwyn is fair game.

Hoping to reveal groups by Friday