Toughest Games on original Tecmo Bowl Japan Version

Dane Beavin

Any time you have to face Chicago or Minnesota in the title game on the Japan version, it is impossibly difficult at times just to even get a field goal unless you see the patterns quickly or call a great game. You are basically blitzed every time against these 2 teams in the last game. Singletary is not even attempted to be blocked by your offensive line. Minnesota will always block your field goal attempts and extra points. One of the only teams, if not the only team, that can kick a field goal or an extra point against Minnesota is San Francisco. Here are some links to these matchups. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SrFWnmI5f0&t=723s               code - 867BFFA1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOEHpr0T_94&t=376s               code - 9737FFA6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzmLvto3I2s&t=5s

Edited by Dane Beavin

• 2 weeks later...

Ive played and won as Indy vs MIN in that version in Championship game and holy hell it was the hardest thing ever.  I took a legit 6 losses in a row before I could win that match up.  Keith Millard fucking erases your O-lineman in 1.2 seconds.  And then steve jordan is a man on steroided up crack.  One mis-step and he annihilates your defense.

4 minutes ago, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

Ive played and won as Indy vs MIN in that version in Championship game and holy hell it was the hardest thing ever.  I took a legit 6 losses in a row before I could win that match up.  Keith Millard fucking erases your O-lineman in 1.2 seconds.  And then steve jordan is a man on steroided up crack.  One mis-step and he annihilates your defense.

Playing against Chicago is just as bad. Singletary comes in so fast and most of the time you have no chance. If Neal Anderson has space he will take it to the house. I call run on defense on every play while trying to use some of the strategies from your videos and site to get interceptions in their half of the field to set me up for field goals. Miami can also be tough to play against in the title game at times because of Marino and Ferrell Edmunds, another fast tight end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As Brad stated earlier, a real challenge is to try and beat Minnesota with Indy in the Tecmo Bowl.  Someone else posted this as a challenge a while back and Brad and I tried it.  I lost a few times, before finding a strategy that worked.  Millard is in on every play way to quick. I just picked the run 1 and used the top OLB and as soon as the ball is hiked. start running with the top receiver. A couple of times they would throw to Steve Jordan and my OLB would get sucked towards him and he would be off to the races. Here are the codes to play as anyone vs anyone in the Tecmo Bowl.

Use the two digit code on the left to pick your team and then finish the password with the 6 digits on the right to pick your opponents.

For Example:

You as Indianapolis vs Minnesota = C337FFA5

You as Dallas vs Minnesota = 6337FFA5

Etc..

You Team Computer
C3 Indianapolis BFFEA4
C6 Miami BFFDA3
C9 Cleveland BFFBA1
CC Denver AFF7AD
93 Seattle AFEFA5
96 Los Angeles 9FDFA5
99 Washington 7FBFA5
9C San Francisco 3F7FA5
63 Dallas AEFFA5
66 New York 9DFFA5
69 Chicago 7BFFA5
6C Minnesota 37FFA5
33 Inv. Indy  
36 Inv. Miami  
39 Inv. Cleveland  
3C Inv. Denver

Edited by TheFes75

• 6 months later...

Using Cleveland, I played Minnesota last night in the Divisional playoffs and holy crap were they tough.  Every few plays, though, they'd leave the top wideout open (Slaughter), and this is how I eventually got some yards. They key to beating them offensively is to hit the top wideout on Pass 2.  They completely shut down Pass 1 and Run 2 every time.  Run 1 will only get you a max of 2 yards.  I beat them 24-0 with all extra points blocked.

However, the biggest takeaway is that you cannot, cannot give up any points.  I shut their offense down by calling Run 2 every time, using the bottom DB and aiming at Hershel Walker every time.  They don't throw to AC very much (though they should), so I covered Jordan and got a lot of picks.  I also punted 6 times in the game (a record for me) and pinned them inside their 15 5 out of 6 times.  That set my defense up for success.

With Chicago in the title game, it was a little easier, but not much.  I beat them 30-0 calling Run 1 every time and shutting down Anderson.  Again, I used the bottom DB (Minnifield) and aimed for Anderson every time to stop Run 2.  When they passed,  I covered Gentry.  I didn't get as many interceptions, but I made them punt the whole game.

Offensively, SIngletary is coming free every play.  What I did was move to the top of the pocket a little and I hit my topside WR or bottom side TE to get yards.  You can run on them a little more than Minnesota, but not much.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:58 AM, C. Pastor said:

Using Cleveland, I played Minnesota last night in the Divisional playoffs and holy crap were they tough.  Every few plays, though, they'd leave the top wideout open (Slaughter), and this is how I eventually got some yards. They key to beating them offensively is to hit the top wideout on Pass 2.  They completely shut down Pass 1 and Run 2 every time.  Run 1 will only get you a max of 2 yards.  I beat them 24-0 with all extra points blocked.

However, the biggest takeaway is that you cannot, cannot give up any points.  I shut their offense down by calling Run 2 every time, using the bottom DB and aiming at Hershel Walker every time.  They don't throw to AC very much (though they should), so I covered Jordan and got a lot of picks.  I also punted 6 times in the game (a record for me) and pinned them inside their 15 5 out of 6 times.  That set my defense up for success.

With Chicago in the title game, it was a little easier, but not much.  I beat them 30-0 calling Run 1 every time and shutting down Anderson.  Again, I used the bottom DB (Minnifield) and aimed for Anderson every time to stop Run 2.  When they passed,  I covered Gentry.  I didn't get as many interceptions, but I made them punt the whole game.

Offensively, SIngletary is coming free every play.  What I did was move to the top of the pocket a little and I hit my topside WR or bottom side TE to get yards.  You can run on them a little more than Minnesota, but not much.

Botton DB and top run play combo is a ploy we can Bunk Bed defense.   Either position actually, and call the opposite run.  Highly effective scheme from that position.