Sign in to follow this  
Knobbe

Nintendo Switch will have online PvP mode for retro NES titles

This might one day include Tecmo Bowl but it seems unlikely it will ever include Tecmo Super Bowl

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

NES NSO Logo

Play NES games anytime, anywhere, with a growing selection of classic games—with newly added online play—available exclusively for members. Get 20 games at launch, with new games added regularly.

Honestly, the more I hear about Nintendo's Online services, the more I feel the urge to quote Lando:

"This deal is getting worse all the time!"

On the bright side, at least we're getting Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2, and XII: The Zodiac Age on the Nintendo Switch!  Now all we need are the Kingdom Hearts games and Spyro Reignited Trilogy ported over to the Switch, and I'm good to go.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish my 100% perfect game for The After Years, and then proceed forward to V and VI for the GBA.

I don't see them every adding Tecmo Super Bowl to their online lineup though.  The NFL license being the insurmountable hurdle there.  You would think after all this time it wouldn't still hold them back.  So annoying.  I wonder if the 78,000 TSB fans on Facebook would inspire them to add it.  It's probably not enough.  

2 hours ago, Knobbe said:

Seems like playing online tecmo via the Nintendo Switch is a possibility 

Latency had shown to be a bit of an issue, I noticed on Twitter yesterday. The example that I saw had issues with playing a game with precise timing needed (River City Ransom I think?) or some other game, I thought I saw it was a 2 player beat em up like Double Dragon 2 and 3. Not sure if this would be a problem or how much a problem could be had trying to play TSB. I don't have a switch fwiw

I'm sure part of the problem is that the switch uses wi-fi so if your wi-fi isn't heavily optomized or there is interference its not the best option for low latency gaming. 

Seems like the switches wi-fi hardware isn't all that great either. 

If there is someone with a Nintendo Switch who has the service who can navigate to the files for me and pull the 3 files associated with Tecmo Bowl?

I'd like to inspect the files. If you can, please PM me these.