(NES) Tecmo Super Bowl 2019 Presented by TecmoBowl.org

Knobbe

This is our annual collaborative Tecmo Super Bowl release of the current NFL season which is rated in what is considered to be "OG Style" which is another way of saying the range of ratings reflects the original release. This is very much a collaborative release as up until about a week ago I don't think I'd ever personally edited a mini-helmet and tend to stay away from graphics in general.  Hopefully you'll enjoy and check out the other roms listed here which can have very innovative modifications, styles and advanced difficulty levels.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Tecmo Super Bowl is the greatest sports video game of all time. Now, 27 years after TSB made 8-Bit legends of Bo Jackson and Lawrence Taylor, TecmoBowl.org proudly announces the release of Tecmo Super Bowl 2018. This site's 11th yearly iteration updates Tecmo's NES classic with up-to-date rosters, graphics, schedules and play books for all 32 NFL squads.  Additionally, you can now check the defensive conditions of your players.

Playable on multiple platforms and operating systems via NES emulation software, Tecmo Super Bowl 2019 brings Nintendo's bone-crunching classic to today's computers and handheld devices.

Will offenses fear JJ Watt like they feared Bruce Smith? Who is the more deadly play-caller: Aaron Rodgers or Dan Marino? Will Saquon Barkley  live up to the hype? Loaded into an NES Emulator, Tecmo Super Bowl 2019 will make legends for the next 27 years.

Tecmo Super Bowl 2019

Table of Contents

A. How This Works
B. How To Play - PC/Mac
C. How to Play Online - Windows
D. Tecmo Super Bowl 2017 Notes

E. Known Issues

F. Credits

A. How This Works
If you're new to emulation:

• ROM = Game or Cartridge (.nes file)
  • Emulator = NES System

B. How To Play - PC/Mac

• Download Nestopia for your platform and also the .nes ROM -  Windows | Mac 
  • Open Nestopia.
  • From Nestopia, File > Open and find your .nes ROM.

C. How to Play Online - Windows
Setup for online play using our guide - http://tecmobowl.org/topic/53066-guide-get-started-playing-tsb-online-for-dummies/. We then recommend starting out at the TPC - http://www.tecmoplayers.com.

Most TPC players use the original Tecmo Super Bowl ROM, but you might be able to find some people playing TSB 2016. Remember that the versions of the game must be exactly the same or you will not be able to connect.

If you’re looking for an online league, we recommend TecmoBowl.org's Online Tecmo Leagues.

D. Tecmo Super Bowl 2018 notes

• Check Defense condition - In the same location as the time out menu there is now a "CHECK DEF" option which lets you scroll left and right through your players
  • 32-Team ROM
  • Rosters current as of 9/5/18
  • Adjustable quarter length
  • Playbook editing in-game
  • Player 2 attributes now display correctly
  • Halftime stats
  • Pass Control determines if a pass will be completed. Passing Accuracy determines if the ball will be on target.

E. Known Issues

• You can't edit the player names for the NFC West teams using publicly released emulators.
  • This rom may not work on some emulators. Sorry.

F. Credits

Thanks to:

• Jstout, Bruddog, Cxrom, Bad-Al & Buck for the hacking knowledge and tools.
  • @gojiphen malor and @SBlueman for doing all the leg work for updating helmets for this season.

88x31.png
Tecmo Super Bowl 2018 by TecmoBowl.org is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Based on a work at http://tecmobowl.org/.

Other 2018 Versions to try:

@gojiphen malor Goji's NFL Tecmo Super Bowl LIII

@SBlueman Tecmo Super Bowl 2018 - SBlueman Edition

@fatcheerleader https://tecmobowl.org/files/file/575-tsb-ncaa19/

View full article

Always fun to try these out.  CPU kicked onside attempt, recovered by Aaron Rodgers, who proceeded to run faster than QB Eagles.  I remember something similar with a pass 3 flea flicker back in 2013 or 2014.  Brady would run like the wind after getting the ball back.

Thanks to all who put the work into keep a fresh coat of paint on this game.

• Knobbe pinned this topic
40 minutes ago, RoyalChief said:

Thank you so much for this.  I might be missing something but it seems Nix is the starter over Bell.  Does this have to do with his holdout?

I thought I had an Off-I formation for the steelers where RB2 is the primary ball carrier. Good catch

You might want to alert everyone (I just have) to go thru and manually reset all NFC West rosters at the start of any season on this rom, because - like last year's - it's the only one that requires doing so if they want to see your ACTUAL intended default KR/PR starters.

@Knobbe The new game is really fun just like the old ones, also one problem I noticed which was really small, was for the NFC & AFC leaders in season mode it says NFC for AFC & AFC for NFC when selected. Also, there is no reason Christian McCaffrey should be 38 speed, I know it's a game but he's WAY faster than that in real life, he should at least be high 40s or 50s.

11 hours ago, cpastenajr said:

@Knobbe The new game is really fun just like the old ones, also one problem I noticed which was really small, was for the NFC & AFC leaders in season mode it says NFC for AFC & AFC for NFC when selected. Also, there is no reason Christian McCaffrey should be 38 speed, I know it's a game but he's WAY faster than that in real life, he should at least be high 40s or 50s.

Nice catch. I assume you're talking RS as his MS is 44. Normally I don't take rankings request but I'll give McCaffery a 50 RS for this one.

On 9/8/2018 at 11:01 AM, Bolt said:

You might want to alert everyone (I just have) to go thru and manually reset all NFC West rosters at the start of any season on this rom, because - like last year's - it's the only one that requires doing so if they want to see your ACTUAL intended default KR/PR starters.

I'll see if I can re-create and fix.

What's New in Version Rev 1   See changelog 

Released 

Fixed some player numbers and faces

Fixed Team Layouts in offensive data screen

Swapped a few players from starter/bench

Fixed some play books 

Fixed KR/PR

Barring some missed major error this should be the last update.

• 4 weeks later...

hello all, i was wondering if you can lend some help.....

I was playing this version at my Brothers house over the weekend and it looked and played great. 

When I got home I tried it on my emulator set up (Nestopia 1.50 through retroarch) and the NES screen flickering was pretty noticeable... Is there a work around that I don't know about?

5 hours ago, bruddog said:

How were you playing it at your brothers house? Also via emulator?

@PickleJuice

He was using a retro pie, so Whatever emulator it uses. He mentioned having to set something in options for the screen flickering. 

The only option I could see in Nestopia is the "Remove 8 sprites per scanline hardware limitation"... that seemed to work pretty well in Gojis Tecmo Bowl 2018 but not for this 2019 version.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:36 PM, PickleJuice said:

hello all, i was wondering if you can lend some help.....

I was playing this version at my Brothers house over the weekend and it looked and played great. 

When I got home I tried it on my emulator set up (Nestopia 1.50 through retroarch) and the NES screen flickering was pretty noticeable... Is there a work around that I don't know about?

I haven't really used retroarch. Have you tried any of the other cores?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Billy Ubanks said:

Are there any plans to update the 2019 Rosters now that the trade deadline has passed?

That trade of Snacks from the G-Men to my Detroit Lions is a big deal …. would love to get Snacks to the Lions on the latest version of the game

Sorry no.  

On 10/25/2018 at 2:45 PM, Billy Ubanks said:

Are there any plans to update the 2019 Rosters now that the trade deadline has passed?

That trade of Snacks from the G-Men to my Detroit Lions is a big deal …. would love to get Snacks to the Lions on the latest version of the game

Consult the Legendado, please

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, JayNewell said:

Is there a way to get this to play on Provenance (an IOS emulator)?  I was able to get the SNES emulator and last year's to work.

I am assuming that Provenance (like RetroArch) probably has multiple cores (emulators) you can use?

Try downloading a different NES core, then load the rom.