Sign in to follow this  
Mike Gordan

Week 1 Pick 'ems 2018-2019

I'm going to simply keep track of everybody's scores manually.  Each person has until five minutes before the game starts to put their Pick'ems in.  And I'll be keeping track of the tallies for each week, and for the whole year in general.  As an added bonus, I'll even keep track of how many times somebody wins a particular week.  But with the highest tally after the Super Bowl wins.

Two rules!  You got until five games before the game starts to put a pick in.  Otherwise, it will be treated as a non pick.  In addition, every pick must be made in a single comment.  You can discuss things if you want.  But for the sake of keeping track of everybody's choices, all picks--even if you change your mind later on--must be located in the same comment.  Otherwise, it will be treated as a non pick.

With that said, let's cover the games that are to take place in Week 1!

ATL @ PHI
PIT @ CLE
CIN @ IND
TEN @ MIA
SF @ MIN
HOU @ NE
TB @ NO
JAX @ NYG
BUF @ BAL
KC @ LAC
SEA @ DEN
WAS @ ARI
DAL @ CAR
CHI @ GB
NYJ @ DET
LAR @ OAK

Here are my weekly picks:  Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Minnesota, New England, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Baltimore, Chargers, Broncos, Cardinals, Panthers, Packers, Lions, and Rams.  My Survivor pick of the week, however, is Pittsburgh over Cleveland (yes, a road team being chosen as the Survivor Pick of the Week; it is the Browns, after all).  And my toughest pick to make was Arizona over Washington.

ATL @ PHI --> gotta go with Philly on this one. Atlanta seems to have regressed on defense.
PIT @ CLE --> Pittsburgh should have no problem with Cleveland. I'll be surprised if the Browns get a win here.
CIN @ IND --> Indianapolis will pull it off if Andrew Luck can stay healthy. 
TEN @ MIA --> Tough one but i'll go Tennessee over Miami.
SF @ MIN  --> Jimmy G vs Kirk Cousins makes for an interesting matchup. Gonna go with SF over Minnesota.
HOU @ NE --> With questions at wide receivers, I think Houston may give New England a run at their money but fall short against the Pats.
TB @ NO --> No Jameis Winston puts somewhat of a damper on the Bucs' chances, so going with NO.
JAX @ NYG --> Jacksonville may or may not have a big day against the Giants.
BUF @ BAL --> Baltimore. Nathan Peterman's campaign last season ended up terrible, and i think it'll be more of the same.
KC @ LAC --> With the bad luck of injuries thus far to LA's defensive backs, i think KC will eke out a win here.
SEA @ DEN --> Case Keenum as the starter to Denver? probably safe to think Seattle will win that one.
WAS @ ARI --> With the return of David Johnson, as well as a new QB at the helm Arizona will win this one, but barely.
DAL @ CAR --> This will be another good matchup. Gonna pick Dallas over Carolina, though.
CHI @ GB --> With the addition of Khalil Mack to the Bears D', it looks like it'll be tough. Gotta hope Trubisky finds Robinson and Miller a lot to put up points. DA Bears is my pick.
NYJ @ DET --> Detroit. Sam Darnold is a rookie, and may show it during the game.
LAR @ OAK --> With the rather sudden departure of Khalil Mack at the hands of Jon Gruden [who has seemingly thrown Reggie McKenzie under the bus] i look for the Rams to demolish Oakland in one of many losses for them.

TB @ NO  - NO. Brees at home vs a weak TB secondary and fitzpatrick. Easy choice

BUF @ BAL - BAL. Nathan Peterman. That is all

CHI @ GB - GB at home always tough to beat. Mack helps but not enough. 

SF @ MIN - MIN. 49ers don't have enough weapons or defense to compete

HOU @ NE - NE. NE at home is very tough to pick against. Watson gave them a scare last year so maybe this will be closer than we think.

PIT @ CLE PIT. You pick against the browns until they prove you otherwise but this is another one that I think will be closer than we think 

LAR @ OAK. LAR Can't imagine the raiders paper thin defense doing anything to stop the chargers even at home. 

KC @ LAC LAC. Mahomes has a lot of weapons but I think its going to take awhile and the chargers will be at home with a decent pass rush. 

NYJ @ DET DET.

CIN @ IND CIN. Luck is back but will he survive the season. The indy roster is pathetic. 

DAL @ CAR CAR

SEA @ DEN DEN. 

JAX @ NYG NYG. Think they eek this out at home. 

ATL @ PHI ATL. Tough one but I'll go with the proven QB. Foles can turn back into a pumpkin at any minutes
TEN @ MIA TEN. Coin flip game. 
WAS @ ARI ARI. Another coinflip game

I picked Atl and got that wrong.

Here's how I see upcoming:

I see Mia, Bal, Lac, N.O., Den, Az, Car, Det & Lar winning.

Now on games on which I want to elaborate further:

Coughlin will get it his way and win in his return to NJ as a Jax executive.

Too bad Chi my team I expect to lose @GB. With new coach have QB and other starters do little in preseason? Can't be ready. Heck GB w/ J. Graham instead of Jordy ideally should've done more in preseason with Rodgers.

Upsets - Hou (yes), Cle (no joke esp they got Haley and Pit w/out Bell), Cin (why they underdogs?), and SF (Mn's got new ppl)

ATL @ PHI--MISSED (2 late jones, eatin' L)
PIT @ CLE --- CLE (puff puff PAAASSSS... dawg pound!!!)
CIN @ IND --- IND (band name: the marv lewis contract extension)
TEN @ MIA --- TEN (Titans = STDs*... *Swingin' Titanic Dicks)
SF @ MIN --- MIN (mike zimmer LIGHTEN UP already)
HOU @ NE --- NE (if belichick was truly rational he'd wear cargo pants 24-7)
TB @ NO --- NO (kamara sutra)
JAX @ NYG --- JAX (cake chortles)
BUF @ BAL --- BAL (flacco hurt, lamar giddy up)
KC @ LAC --- LAC (rivers: no potential child unsown)
SEA @ DEN --- SEA (seahawks win another superb owl, ya heard it)
WAS @ ARI --- WAS (i dont think i can name one single redskin, but ARI is pretty fucking bad)
DAL @ CAR --- CAR (cam newton, still a thing?)
CHI @ GB --- GB (jimmy g. and the most spastic lambeau leaps you ever seen)
NYJ @ DET --- DET (lions suck, jets moar so)
LAR @ OAK --- LAR (as the chucky rolling dumpster fire leaves the station...)

6 minutes ago, manYo720 said:

ARI is pretty fucking bad

Dude, zona gonna rip apart atle this year, yer fuq'd

ATL @ PHI - No comment since this is over, gg Philly.
PIT @ CLE - Have to go with the Steelers, the Browns will win eventually, but they need a bit to get those gears moving.
CIN @ IND - Yay, a shit show on turf. Cincinnati wins by bullshit magic and cheap shots.
TEN @ MIA - Miami's defense doesn't look too good, so if Mariota can get the offense into a groove, Miami is about as dead as a real dolphin in Japan.
SF @ MIN - Hate to be the biased guy toward their home team, but there is no way Garoppolo and the 49ers stand a chance against this defense.  McKinnon being done for the season doesn't help either.  Min wins unless bullshit magic or Daniel Carlson becomes Blairy Anderwalsh.
HOU @ NE - I can't really find a clear outcome here, so I'll leave this at a toss-up.  However, the Pats can win if Watson plays like crap.
TB @ NO - New Orleans.  Just New Orleans.  Tampa Bay is, well, Tampa Bay.  NO wins 72-3 (>implying the Bucs can kick FGs)
JAX @ NYG - Jacksonville is likely to win this one.  The Giants will put up a valiant offensive effort, but they just wont be able to get it done on defense.
BUF @ BAL - Ravens win because defense.  The Bills indulge in more delicious razorcake because Nathan Peterman.
KC @ LAC - Joey Bosa being out will hurt the Chargers, but I see them just BARELY squeaking out the win.  Somewhere in the area of 17-14 or 24-21.
SEA @ DEN - WHY. Seattle wins by Russel Wilson carrying them. Again.
WAS @ ARI - Washington wins 28-10 and Bradford tears his ACL.  In all seriousness, however, Washington gets torched to Vietnam levels because they have no pass defense.
DAL @ CAR - Carolina should win this one.  Dallas' defense is really gonna bite them here.  However, they could win if they spam Zeke enough.  Let's see if Dak can actually throw still (but to who, is the real question).
CHI @ GB - No idea. Likely going to be a great game to watch, but the Packers will likely win this one out because Aaron Rodgers.
NYJ @ DET - Detroit wins this one out by a decent margin of 38-14.  NYJ defense crumbles and can't keep up with Stafford and the pass game.
LAR @ OAK >TRADING KHALIL MACK.  Rams win by annihilating the high school defense of the Raiders.

Feel free to respond about how terrible my picks are.  Prepare to watch me be wrong in 5 minutes after the week actually starts.

Edited by Miles Prower

13 hours ago, Bolt said:

Dude, zona gonna rip apart atle this year, yer fuq'd

Good to see you, too.  Wanna put in your weekly predictions?  We know the vast majority of us missed Atlanta vs. Philadelphia.  But it's still not too late.

17 hours ago, manYo720 said:

ATL @ PHI--MISSED (2 late jones, eatin' L)
PIT @ CLE --- CLE (puff puff PAAASSSS... dawg pound!!!)
CIN @ IND --- IND (band name: the marv lewis contract extension)
TEN @ MIA --- TEN (Titans = STDs*... *Swingin' Titanic Dicks)
SF @ MIN --- MIN (mike zimmer LIGHTEN UP already)
HOU @ NE --- NE (if belichick was truly rational he'd wear cargo pants 24-7)
TB @ NO --- NO (kamara sutra)
JAX @ NYG --- JAX (cake chortles)
BUF @ BAL --- BAL (flacco hurt, lamar giddy up)
KC @ LAC --- LAC (rivers: no potential child unsown)
SEA @ DEN --- SEA (seahawks win another superb owl, ya heard it)
WAS @ ARI --- WAS (i dont think i can name one single redskin, but ARI is pretty fucking bad)
DAL @ CAR --- CAR (cam newton, still a thing?)
CHI @ GB --- GB (jimmy g. and the most spastic lambeau leaps you ever seen)
NYJ @ DET --- DET (lions suck, jets moar so)
LAR @ OAK --- LAR (as the chucky rolling dumpster fire leaves the station...)

Your expressions remind me of Fox Sports Radio's Tom Looney who likes to play with language and rhyme when he gives scoring updates.

Edited by BigCat71
add the word 'Radio' to specify the media outlet

There are 2 other games I want to expand on given their interesting subplots.

Buf @ Bal features the team that was supposed to make the playoffs but lost to Cin so the other team made it.

Dal @ Car probably deserves Fox's 'Game of the Week' label - Aikman will be in the booth with his old team facing his old OC Norv Turner making his Car debut, but a better subplot than that is how the game features the former Oikos spokeperson (Cam) vs the current one (Dak) in their 1st ever battle.

3 hours ago, BigCat71 said:

Your expressions remind me of Fox Sports Radio's Tom Looney who likes to play with language and rhyme when he gives scoring updates.

i was going for a loose interpretation of chris berman on acid, but will also accept tom looney on acid

So far, myself, gojiphen, Knobbe, and "Tails" have all gotten 5-2, with gojiphen being the only one to pick an Eagles victory (he also chose Indianapolis).  Everybody got the Saints pick wrong.  And half the people today were a no-show for the Falcons vs. Eagles game, so I counted them as losses.

8 hours ago, Miles Prower said:

Do ties count as a correct prediction since the browns technically didn't win?

Unfortunately, every single instance of a tie game in these sorts of thing basically counts as a loss for us.  The only way to win in a tie game situation is if you picked the game to end in a tie (for whatever reason).

Honestly, I still have no idea why we have overtime during the regular season.  With all these arguments about injury, you would think a rule change would be in order to limit overtime to the playoffs.  That was THE reason we have overtime in the NFL in the first place--to break the tie in a postseason or championship game.

Since everybody's picking the Lions and Rams tomorrow, I think it's time to round out the scores for the time being.  In case somebody decides to change their minds, I'll be keeping an eye out for you.

So far, the people that got a record of 8-6 are myself, gojiphen malor, and Knobbe.

TecmoSuperFan, on the other hand, was a measely 5-9.  He was, however, the only one to successfully pick the Kansas City Chiefs to win today, so give him props for that.

And everybody else got 7-7.

So let's give each other a round of applause.  After tomorrow night, I'm going to open up Week 2's Pick'em's.

2 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

Honestly, I still have no idea why we have overtime during the regular season.  With all these arguments about injury, you would think a rule change would be in order to limit overtime to the playoffs.  That was THE reason we have overtime in the NFL in the first place--to break the tie in a postseason or championship game.

Here's why I think they changed the OT rules..... Look at the standings for NFL 1970 and then also for next few seasons after that... on up to 1974, the year overtime in regular season was introduced, and look at ALL THEM DAMN TIES... I think the anti-climacticism (read: un-americanism) of ALL THEM DAMN TIES, and the inability to look at the NFL standings and know who's in front of who without having to think about ALL THEM DAMN TIES, finally tipped the scales and brought football back into the mainline of american "winners and losers thats it" sentiment... or maybe it had something to do with Nixon and Watergate, or the growing commercialization of the league, or maybe it just had something to do with... ALL THEM DAMN TIES.

Incidentally, I participated in a tecmo league (HSRL) a few years back where we began play in 1970 and used the no-overtime rule, and I must say, the anticlimactic effect once the game ends in a tie is REAL! as in it sucked balls, I remember the melancholic realization that the overtime coin flip and a chance to WIN wasn't gonna happen, it sucked even as a novelty.  I don't think the NFL will ever go back, even if the players pushed for it in the next contract bargaining.

btw, thanks @Mike Gordan for keeping track of our pick-ems, appreciate the stat hustle.

8 minutes ago, manYo720 said:

Here's why I think they changed the OT rules..... Look at the standings for NFL 1970 and then also for next few seasons after that... on up to 1974, the year overtime in regular season was introduced, and look at ALL THEM DAMN TIES... I think the anti-climacticism (read: un-americanism) of ALL THEM DAMN TIES, and the inability to look at the NFL standings and know who's in front of who without having to think about ALL THEM DAMN TIES, finally tipped the scales and brought football back into the mainline of american "winners and losers thats it" sentiment... or maybe it had something to do with Nixon and Watergate, or the growing commercialization of the league, or maybe it just had something to do with... ALL THEM DAMN TIES.

Incidentally, I participated in a tecmo league (HSRL) a few years back where we began play in 1970 and used the no-overtime rule, and I must say, the anticlimactic effect once the game ends in a tie is REAL! as in it sucked balls, I remember the melancholic realization that the overtime coin flip and a chance to WIN wasn't gonna happen, it sucked even as a novelty.  I don't think the NFL will ever go back, even if the players pushed for it in the next contract bargaining.

btw, thanks @Mike Gordan for keeping track of our pick-ems, appreciate the stat hustle.

OR: the conspiracy theory Raider-Hater version: Al Davis decided to get rid of sister-kissing ties in the NFL BECAUSE: he is more than a maverick, but actually quite the evil genius mastermind, the devil Himself maybe..... and he knew eventually the win/lose binary state of mind that the NFL rule would build into our culture would eventually build up into our collective national consciousness and hatch into our current binary political state of mind, thus allowing the conditions possible and necessary for his golden son, Mark Davis, to someday soon become POTUS, becoming the first POTUS to take the oath in sweat pants, moving the capitol to Las Vegas (Washington LV, whaddup) etc etc........ {{how's that for some late-nite stoner witch philosophizin'...#}}