Green Bay, WI - 10/20/18 - GBLAN Presents Full Nelson Hardcore Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

trojan1979

I paid $20 to enter this tournament.  I won 2nd and was paid $71 dollars.  I was aware going into this tournament that the prize payout was based off entrants.

In addition to the payouts, I saw 3 brand new Gamerz Tek consoles given out and people eating pizza all afternoon as part of their entry fee.

The venue was great, the Edge VR staff was friendly, the beer selection was solid, the tournament ran smooth, I got a ton of Tecmo games in, the quality of the CRT TV’s are the best I’ve seen at a tournament  considering size and quality of picture, the company was awesome, the format was legit again providing unique results, the competition was fierce and meeting Ahman Green and talking games with him for a bit was cool too.  

I found out Ahman Green has his own Twitch Channel if anyone is interested:

:

7 hours ago, Nelson79 said:

I just want to add on to this that I was called Sunday night by Troy and he told me he had made a mistake in the math and told me I had $41 ($141 total for first place) more dollars coming based on the 2/3rds money he said he was paying out.  I know he was calculating a lot of the stuff with pen and paper at the event among recalculating the standings/brackets by hand when the Challonge site went down due to some connectivity issues I believe.  All the remaining players that placed all acknowledged being paid the correct amount after the miscalculation.

Levi, I'm glad that you and the other top finishers were paid more to make things right from a financial standpoint. An admitted mistake was made, and it was corrected. 

Purely from a resolution standpoint, the best way for all things to be resolved would be for people to speak for themselves to ask and/or answer questions. If people were to post for themselves, all of this would be put behind us much quicker as a TSB community (and yes, this includes people posting their questions themselves rather than me posting on their behalf). Troy simply could have said that a miscalculation occurred and that he paid everyone the due amount, ultimately answering that question. Everyone has a voice in this community, and an opportunity to ask and answer questions. When people become the voice of others (through back-channel chats, texts, messages, etc.), they lose that power. I shouldn't be getting texts from people speaking on behalf of others, nor should I have to ask questions on behalf of others. That shouldn't be anyone's role. We are all grown adults, and we all have a voice. The longer people sit in silence, or the more people use others as their platform/proxy/voice, they are forfeiting the opportunity they have to speak for themselves. This is when assumptions, opinions, and conclusions (right or wrong) get made by others, and it becomes a never ending cycle. It certainly seems to me that the TSB community would appreciate hearing from Troy personally. It's the simplest resolution, and one that would finally allow the undercurrent to pass, and for the opportunity for unification to grow.

Thank you to all who came out and/or watched the stream this weekend!  With being gone a significant part of the weekend for setup/tear down, and of course running the event.  I haven't had the opportunity to put together a proper recap.

I am currently working extra hours this week.

I do promise a proper recap within a week or so.  For those of you that are friends with me on Facebook, I think you got the basic idea through the photos we uploaded throughout the day.

Yes there was a mistake on my end that was corrected the very next day regarding payouts.  There was no malicious intent, and i'm glad we got that rectified right away. 

The no shows were obviously disappointing.  A mix of no communication, same day communication, some excuses being 100% legit, the others simply prioritizing some other activity over the tournament.  It's easily the most no shows we've ever had proportionately.  Yes a game 7 NLCS was a part of the equation with this, something we didn't anticipate when the date was chosen.  The silver lining was that more rounds of Swiss were possible, so that meant more games for everyone there, as we didn't have to wait for a 2nd set of games per round to finish the Swiss round.  Ultimately, every single player played at least 7 games.

Nelson79 was 1st, Tom Stanke 2nd, Timpai 3rd, DPS was 4th.

Ahman Green was a late show participant, and we didn't know that was happening until moments before he arrived.  He was very nice, and won a game on stream.  Hopefully he attends future tournaments, including Tundra Bowl.  He seemed to have a nice time.

Despite being one of the no shows, our sponsor Dallaire Realty still stepped up and provided pizza to the attendees.

We gave away 3 Gamerztek consoles, and a signed TSB NES Cartridge(signed by Ahman)

The format was well received by those there save one.(Sorry Gats)  I have no preference, it's just something different than what's typically out there, and there seems to be a demand for it.  We had a number of new players that really enjoyed it.

Thanks to Tom for his additional stream coverage, including games of NHL94 and Mortal Kombat I and II after the tournament.  No one took AJ93 or my money in the challenges.

That's all I have time for right now.  We had a ton of fun, and I look forward to the next time we can put something together.

-Trojan

Holla, I had a good time overall. I enjoyed the pizza and I liked the style of the swiss thing. It allowed for games to get going and get through. Im from out of town so i could have even done 8-9 rounds of that but 6 was good. Elimination round was like every other tourney, no game is easy and it is always a grind. I would like to say again i liked the pizza and seeing ahmand greene was cool. he sure was a little fela, i think i could tackle him easy. If i see him again i will try a one on one tackle drill to see if that is true. I was kind of sad that Hank had to work sunday and could not get drunk, that is one of my favorite things about tourneys. I would like to point out that JOEY GATS told me to stay in bounce to kill clock and it is that exact moment that my guy fumbled, so I blame all the loss on him only.

2 hours ago, justinpeters51 said:

Holla, I had a good time overall. I enjoyed the pizza and I liked the style of the swiss thing. It allowed for games to get going and get through. Im from out of town so i could have even done 8-9 rounds of that but 6 was good. Elimination round was like every other tourney, no game is easy and it is always a grind. I would like to say again i liked the pizza and seeing ahmand greene was cool. he sure was a little fela, i think i could tackle him easy. If i see him again i will try a one on one tackle drill to see if that is true. I was kind of sad that Hank had to work sunday and could not get drunk, that is one of my favorite things about tourneys. I would like to point out that JOEY GATS told me to stay in bounce to kill clock and it is that exact moment that my guy fumbled, so I blame all the loss on him only.

Thanks for coming!  Hopefully next time we draw more from the usual suspects.

6 hours ago, justinpeters51 said:

I will make sure to be drunk off my ass in Iowa

4 hours ago, hankthetank said:

I will make sure to be drunk off my ass in Iowa

im 50/50 now on Iowa (that's a good thing) talked to Mort about it yesterday. Justin I was disappointed I didn't get to face you as it has been a while since you defeated me. I don't even know which tournament it was in honestly. Joey Gats told me to call run 3 when instead I called pass 4 and Levi guessed it. Should've listened to Joey Gats. Hank I owe you a beer as I didn't get to buy you one in Green Bay.

Nate, thanks for the love for the sign off. It felt right. Let's try to come together as a community more. Questions are ok but it's no secret how people perceive Troy. So any questions should maybe be asked different than a regular tournament organizer so as to not start the wheels turning of people who have no idea what's real and true. Love you guys and can't wait to play you all again sometime soon!

DPS

9 hours ago, Dan S said:

im 50/50 now on Iowa (that's a good thing) talked to Mort about it yesterday. Justin I was disappointed I didn't get to face you as it has been a while since you defeated me. I don't even know which tournament it was in honestly. Joey Gats told me to call run 3 when instead I called pass 4 and Levi guessed it. Should've listened to Joey Gats. Hank I owe you a beer as I didn't get to buy you one in Green Bay.

Nate, thanks for the love for the sign off. It felt right. Let's try to come together as a community more. Questions are ok but it's no secret how people perceive Troy. So any questions should maybe be asked different than a regular tournament organizer so as to not start the wheels turning of people who have no idea what's real and true. Love you guys and can't wait to play you all again sometime soon!

DPS

Yes, It would have been nice to have us play in pool or something when we were both undefeated to see how that went, but i get the pool stuff was random so maybe later. The Iowa venue is a great place and perfect for the tourney, hoping to see you there and we will get some games in for sure weather practice or tourney!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 7:45 AM, trojan1979 said:

Did a recap with  Tom the Retro Sports Gamer over the weekend, along with the TPC run by Mort.

You forgot to add in "Tecmo Legend" DPS. Video would've gotten much more views if you would've led with the big name players.

11 hours ago, Dan S said:

You forgot to add in "Tecmo Legend" DPS. Video would've gotten much more views if you would've led with the big name players.

Ah yes, the famous DPS, who's name is as widely known as Regulator, Joeygats, Mort, Ruble, SonofPatBeach, KingSoby, The Vogts, and Bruddog.

How could have I been so short sighted?  ;)

Was awesome having you bud.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:16 AM, trojan1979 said:

Ah yes, the famous DPS, who's name is as widely known as Regulator, Joeygats, Mort, Ruble, SonofPatBeach, KingSoby, The Vogts, and Bruddog.

How could have I been so short sighted?  ;)

Was awesome having you bud.

Hahaha, I'm always here to help.

• 4 weeks later...