Green Bay, WI - 10/20/18 - GBLAN Presents Full Nelson Hardcore Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

trojan1979

Hey everyone, if you are interested in the Friday night action at Edge VR, I will be holding an open challenge to anyone who thinks they can beat me in a game of NHL '94 (GENS version). My opponent will get home ice and get to select the match up. Much like Tecmo, NHL 94 has their teams broken down into tiers, an opponent can pick their team and then select which team I get or what tier I can choose from. I will pay out based on the tier difference, if you select a tier difference large enough you will of course substantially increase your chances of winning but you may also have to put a few bucks on the line as well! Below is payouts:

0-1 Tier Difference: $20 to you for a win and you put up $0 to play me (its a free roll of the dice for you)

2-4 Tier Difference: $10 to you for a win and $0 for a loss.

5 Tier Difference: $10 to you for a win and $2 to me for a loss.

6 Tier Difference: $10 to you for a win and $5 to me for a loss.

7 Tier Difference: $10 to you for a win and $10 for a loss (Even money baby!)

Rules are as follows

-5 minute periods

-Penalties: ON (No Off-sides)

-Line Changes: Off

Below are the tiers, and yes, I am allowing you to use All-Star teams in this challenge

S Tier: All Stars West, All Stars East

Tier 1: Det, Buf, Chi, Van, Mtl

Tier 2: LA, Cgy, WPG, Bos

Tier 3: Que, Dal, NYR, TOR

Tier 4: Phi, Edm, Wsh, Pit

Tier 5: NJD, Stl, Hfd, NYI

Tier 6: TB, SJ, Otw

Tier 7: Anh, Fla

I hope people are interested in this format and are encouraged to play as there are a lot match ups that require no money being on the line for the challenger. It's those crippling disadvantages that you will have to pay if you allow me to put egg on your face!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the tournament and I will take my L's graciously on Saturday. Just want to have some fun and ggs!

Edited by angryjay93

Hey guys, DPS here. Just about a week away! The Chicago crew is excited about coming up there. Can't wait to for my first visit to Green Bay Wisconsin. What we've seen here from the first hardcore tourney is we've gained a few members in the community we may not have had without it. Love that Troy is helping expand this. I think it really helps the pickup and play guys from having to hear a bunch of rules they don't understand and focus on those while also trying to remember which one of their defenders to be. I hope you all are ready!

Edited by Dan S

15 hours ago, Deviled Greg said:

@angryjay93 Saw you on Violent Gentlemen FB post today. Awesome man I love that company. Have fun at the tournament.

That made me LOL so hard.  He's like the Dos Equis man of NHL94 now.

2 hours ago, Dan S said:

Hey guys, DPS here. Just about a week away! The Chicago crew is excited about coming up there. Can't wait to for my first visit to Green Bay Wisconsin. What we've seen here from the first hardcore tourney is we've gained a few members in the community we may not have had without it. Love that Troy is helping expand this. I think it really helps the pickup and play guys from having to hear a bunch of rules they don't understand and focus on those while also trying to remember which one of their defenders to be. I hope you all are ready!

Thanks DPS.  We think this newbie friendly approach could grow the number of players out there, no just in person, but also online, while still catering to the competitive juices of veteran players.  It also puts a fresh coat of paint on how we play.

To make it official, I'm upping the ante.  I'm offering a $50 prize to any tournament participant, who can knock me off at mk1 or mk2(must be random select) during the Full Nelson weekend!

43099915_2321311544576043_4482295417056264192_n.png?_nc_cat=100&_nc_eui2=AeG3x2hgrmdPxZYdY9-ohJ2w6i4X-ux1AfrPfIDHsrioNqArrZYfdquCirIQBPUD57SHYZH2JOZ1h92KYvH03NU5Tex7fS-cOe8kAJVk9qr41g&oh=62688d5b52bc2ac38fc9dd200729d691&oe=5C5907F4

Currently up to 32 on the RSVP, just a handful of days away.  This would be our largest Tecmo event ever if this is even close to the actual turnout!  Considering most of the players coming aren't our "usual suspects", this is very encouraging!

Those that do not qualify for the money bracket will still have something to compete for!  The Gamerztek 8 Bit HD is a great no fuss, top loading NES solution that works with your hdtv over hdmi, or on your CRT via composite analog inputs.  The winner of the consolation bracket will take on of these consoles home. The controllers included are very nice!

Image result for gamerztek hd nes

If you missed our conversation last night on Facebook live, here it is.  Despite us saying so to the contrary, Michael Joyce from Player 2 Arcade Bar will in attendance.  We talk about the format, the competitors in play thus far, and answer some questions from chat.

1 hour ago, RetroNathan said:

Just curious, but how was the payout only $200 with 32 RSVPs (and a number of walk-ins) to play? Wasn’t the payout 2/3, directly tied to the total entry fees collected? Am I missing something on the math?

There were only 19 Total participants lots of no shows

49 minutes ago, hankthetank said:

There were only 19 Total participants lots of no shows

19 players only? Troy quoted 32 RSVPd, and even at his last “participant list” publicly posted (27 players), it means he had a TON of no-shows. His last PAID participant list (“official sign-up list”) posted was 23 players. So with the three free, there should have been at least 20 paid entries...but people were believing there were 32+ showing based on his own posts. Seems like it was, either, inflating numbers to look bigger/more important, or he got their entry fee via signup and they didn’t show (but still collected the money). 

Even 19 players at $25 each (roughly, on average with pre-signups and walk-ins) is $475 of total money. $200 is only 42% of total money taken in (not 2/3 of the money). 

If there are the three free players that showed per the original post, that’s 16 players. Even, again, at $25 on average (since there were a “number of walk-ins” as quoted by Troy), it’s $400. Two-thirds (per the original post) is still 33% over the $200 paid out. Again, this is giving the benefit of the doubt. 

If my my math is wrong, by all means, please correct me. I’m just trying to understand why the total payout seems so low compared to what people were led to believe with the posted RSVP numbers, total payout to players, etc. 

Edited by RetroNathan

23 hours ago, RetroNathan said:

19 players only? Troy quoted 32 RSVPd, and even at his last “participant list” publicly posted (27 players), it means he had a TON of no-shows. His last PAID participant list (“official sign-up list”) posted was 23 players. So with the three free, there should have been at least 20 paid entries...but people were believing there were 32+ showing based on his own posts. Seems like it was, either, inflating numbers to look bigger/more important, or he got their entry fee via signup and they didn’t show (but still collected the money). 

Even 19 players at $25 each (roughly, on average with pre-signups and walk-ins) is $475 of total money. $200 is only 42% of total money taken in (not 2/3 of the money). 

If there are the three free players that showed per the original post, that’s 16 players. Even, again, at $25 on average (since there were a “number of walk-ins” as quoted by Troy), it’s $400. Two-thirds (per the original post) is still 33% over the $200 paid out. Again, this is giving the benefit of the doubt. 

If my my math is wrong, by all means, please correct me. I’m just trying to understand why the total payout seems so low compared to what people were led to believe with the posted RSVP numbers, total payout to players, etc. 

Your Math is correct I was simply correcting you on the amount of entrants at the tournament.  I don't know how much total money was collected for entry.

23 minutes ago, hankthetank said:

Your Math is correct I was simply correcting you on the amount of entrants at the tournament.  I don't know how much total money was collected for entry.

Thanks for the clarification, but therein lies the problem. Troy personally hasn’t publicly responded to these tournament information discrepancies (misrepresentation of financials, payouts, players registered, etc.), why there appears to be far less paid out than what was advertised, or, just as importantly, to the very serious and condemning evidence that he has intentionally attempted to split this community (including inviting people/banning people on his own private Discord server) listed in this thread below:

Since it has been weeks since the first message went out, and yet we hear no response from Troy addressing the TSB community about that evidence, nor the tournament representation questions that many have, this speaks volumes. I’m hoping we, the TSB community, get the answers we seek, but considering there hasn’t been a response in the weeks since this all surfaced, it’s looking highly unlikely he will explain his behavior, and the recent questions that many have. 

I was paid what I was to be paid. How about instead of typing up all this you just ask people questions first? Troy was doing math in person based upon who showed up. If you watched the Facebook live video you'd know he even talked about each individual player. I hate coming here and typing on these things about bullshit like this. Troy also gave away extra prizes that weren't advertised and actually gifted me a shitty PC so I can hopefully play Tecmo online.

Hardcore tournaments are just extra tournaments. If you can't draw people in your own state because of another tournament in your state that's sad. I came up to this one from Chicago and would go to Milwaukee in 3 weeks if we had that one. I also talked with Hank and Gats about going to Tundra Bowl and Tecmo Iowa. Stop this BS fighting and complaining and grow up everyone.

Love your favorite Tecmo gamer you probably still don't know.

DPS

PS I only come onto this site occasionally so if you roast me give me some time before you wonder why I haven't replied

40 minutes ago, Dan S said:

Stop this BS fighting and complaining and grow up everyone.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. That doesn’t necessarily mean that questions that have been posed by many can’t be asked/answered in a civil way. If we all acted like adults, admit where we’ve done wrong, be transparent in our actions and motivations, and work on coming together as one community under truth, dialogue, and selflessness, we’d be 1000x better off. 

That’s a lot of commas, but you get my point. 

Edited by RetroNathan

I just want to add on to this that I was called Sunday night by Troy and he told me he had made a mistake in the math and told me I had $41 ($141 total for first place) more dollars coming based on the 2/3rds money he said he was paying out.  I know he was calculating a lot of the stuff with pen and paper at the event among recalculating the standings/brackets by hand when the Challonge site went down due to some connectivity issues I believe.  All the remaining players that placed all acknowledged being paid the correct amount after the miscalculation.

While I'm sure everyone wished the pot was bigger I know of some people opting to head down to Milwaukee to catch the Brewers game (maybe Badgers too?) and many others who just didn't respond back to Troy who said they would be there.  Overall, I had a great time and from the atmosphere in the room I feel everyone else did too.  Ahman Green showing up and playing with us was just icing on the cake.  We had free pizza, discounted rates for the Edge VR Arcade, Two Gamerz Tek 8-Bit HD consoles were given away as raffle prizes and one was for the consolation bracket winner, so there was always something to be playing for.  On top of that Ahman signed a cartage that was raffled off as well.   

Nate, you're a good friend, I respect you and it's always good to have checks and balances.  So having a watchful eye isn't a bad thing.  But with the additional payments it all came out in the end.

I'm looking forward to Retro Mania and Tundra Bowl VI and hope to make it to the top four once again.  #tecmoislovetecmoislife

Okay so if Nelson79 was paid $141 that means that total pot would be $423 with 19 players the average amount paid would be $22.26 since the entrance fee was $20 for early entry $25 for prepay and $30 for at the door and there may have been some free entrants that sounds legit to me at least.