Sign in to follow this  
Knobbe

What foods are you smoking

On the 4th I smoked a whole chicken and some short cut beef ribs which was a first for me (I'll take a picture at some point of what i mean by short cut beef ribs).  The ribs were a first for me and I didn't know where I would come out in terms of the quality (should I get them up over 200 or not?) and in terms of the ratio of fat to meat (they were super fatty).  They blackened up quite a bit but overall I think they needed to get up over 200 in order to be tender enough and to peel away the layer of fat easily. 

Otherwise I think that smoking a steak has some merit because trying that out last week with some oak I got almost a bacon flavor.  Depending on the cut you're looking at about 1-2 hours in the smoker so it's not overly demanding of your time.  I smoked the steak then finished it on the grill. I think you could sear it first and then smoke as well.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:31 AM, Knobbe said:

Otherwise I think that smoking a steak has some merit because trying that out last week with some oak I got almost a bacon flavor.  Depending on the cut you're looking at about 1-2 hours in the smoker so it's not overly demanding of your time.  I smoked the steak then finished it on the grill. I think you could sear it first and then smoke as well.

Had another opportunity to do this again with great results. Smoked it to 110 though 115-120 would have worked because it was a fairly thick ribeye.

After finishing on the grill it was still rare (which is what I prefer).

I don't forsee myself grilling first and then finishing in the smoker as I don't think I'd get as much smoke flavor and I'd then need to wait for the internal temp to rise to 130.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:20 PM, ~Tailback King~ said:

Foods???  What I'm smokin' ain't a food.......................unless you like edibles!!!  😁

When I first made this thread I almost made a disclaimer about posting off topic because I figured this might happen.

This is a thread about smoking meat. If you don't have anything to say on the subject don't post here.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:31 AM, Knobbe said:

On the 4th I smoked a whole chicken and some short cut beef ribs which was a first for me (I'll take a picture at some point of what i mean by short cut beef ribs).  The ribs were a first for me and I didn't know where I would come out in terms of the quality (should I get them up over 200 or not?) and in terms of the ratio of fat to meat (they were super fatty).  They blackened up quite a bit but overall I think they needed to get up over 200 in order to be tender enough and to peel away the layer of fat easily. 

I have smoked brisket - both flats and points, all about 5-6 pounds. I have smoked a rib roast - 4 lbs in total weight after trim. I have smoked a few whole chickens, several racks of ribs, chicken wings, and a few sides of salmon. 

I think I've zeroed in on cherry wood as my preferred wood for my smoker. Temp ranges have gone from 250 for the brisket up to 350 for the wings, I guess I average about 275 across all the various foods I've tossed on the smoker. 

Upright bullet smoker (Weber Smokey Mountain) with lump hardwood charcoal and cherry or hickory chunks. The wife says I baby the smoker a little too much, but doesn't complain because the food comes out excellent. 

1 minute ago, qb_browns said:

I have smoked brisket - both flats and points, all about 5-6 pounds

This is interesting as I've never smoked a brisket that wasn't a whole 12-15 # packer spec. 

I'll post my setup here. Does the Bullet smoker limit the size of the piece of meat you're smoking?

3 hours ago, Knobbe said:

This is interesting as I've never smoked a brisket that wasn't a whole 12-15 # packer spec. 

I'll post my setup here. Does the Bullet smoker limit the size of the piece of meat you're smoking?

Yes, the two grates in the Smokey Mountain are each 22" in diameter. A full 12# packer cut tends to run a little large length wise. 

I also find it easier to find a piece the majority of my guests prefer - I've had a group of "health conscious" people who prefer flats because of the lower fat content, and others who want nice fatty meats that get the point end. I have yet to purchase a full packer cut, divide it myself, and smoke both pieces on the separate grates.