Why did they make the 49ers so good in this game?

sony12

I know that this game was based largely off of the 1990 season and though the '9ers ended up being one of the better teams in the season they by no means were practically unbeatable like they are in this game. Now if they were basing the ratings off of the '89 season I could see them making the 49ers as good as they were. But in 1990 arguably the Giants and the Bills were better (I think the Bills would have smoked San Francisco if they played them in the Super Bowl given that the 1990 49ers didn't have much of a running game and wouldn't have been able to control the clock the way the Giants did).

Was making the 49ers as good as they were in the first TSB game done largely for fan service (as they were one of the more popular teams in the league at the time because they had been good for so long at that point) or do you think they tried to give a fair assessment of how good they thought the '9ers really were. I know most of the older sports video games often did have a particular team that was head and shoulders better than most everyone else (largely I think done as a way to give even bad players a win).

• 4 weeks later...

Because the 1990 49ers were a great team.

They had come off winning two consecutive Super Bowls and compiled a 14-2 regular season record well on their way to the first 3peat in NFL history. The loss to the Giants in the NFC championship game is considered an upset and it involved knocking Montana out late and Roger Craig fumbling with 2:38 left to give the Giants the chance to kick the game winning FG.

They are the best team in the game but to say they're practically unbeatable is a bit of an overstatement.

• 1 year later...

Gotta rehash this one....

I know it all comes down to everyone's ability and playcalling, as well as running, but whenever we all got together to grind out our seasons back in the hood, the 9ers never held sway over anyone else. We would obviously play the seasons as the cart would present them, and while they always made the playoffs, they made the Bowl only once. And that was on "Tecmo time" - it was a Neal Anderson fumble with time running out that sealed their fate. Else it was in the bag for Chicago. The Bears, Giants, Eagles and Lions really stepped up for us in the postseason games. Somehow becoming more than the 9ers could overcome. But of course during regular season they were pretty dominant. I believe it took a really good Rams player to actually make them lose their division crown the only time it happened for us.