Jump to content
Site switched to HTTPS Read more... ×
HalHawkins

Irving, TX - July 28, 2018 - Tecmo Dallas

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, suicideking81 said:

Dont get me wrong. I love Tecmo but not at the expense of being dragged through the mud like what's happening to Hal and his business.

 

I thought this community was better than this......

 

When I held my Tecmo tournament two years ago i couldn't do it on any day but the same day Nate was having his.  He had already announced it but I knew that there really wouldn't be a choice for most people as they would go to the closest one.  I contacted Nate to let him know before I posted. I encouraged people to go to his tournament if it was closer.  Did anything like that happen here?  This is the point of contention that has what I think to be a pretty easy resolution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, trojan1979 said:

That's funny because you are on staff over there at TM, and are speaking on their behalf.

 

I'm speaking for Dave right now but he nor anyone has asked me to.  Nobody is telling me to post here. There aren't "TM doods" over here posting.  There is no message or post or thread from me signaling people to descend upon this thread that didn't have any replies until 21 hours after it was made. This is all a construct that you use as part of your overall strategy of taking what others have built and "doing it better"  I only own 4 NESes and have to ask others to bring them to my tournament in Lincoln where I have more people than what 4 NESes will accommodate. What more deserving and better equipped person should take my tournament? When should I expect to lay down and let someone steamroll me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're essentially telling people not to attend by saying "if I lived in Dallas I wouldn't attend"

 

You're making it seem like Hal stole this event from Dave. The email posted by Hal shows a date of late June when LPGE made the decision to have Hal do the event. I'm assuming they waited til a month before the event to make the change because they were waiting on Dave to make a decision, which I assume he decided not to or just never responded to doing the event. So in my opinion (which isnt worth much) no one can fault Hal for jumping on the opportunity when asked seeing how he is looking to get more exposure for the Tecmo Tour. 

 

Now let's get all the facts in order, which probably should have been done before all these post happened, then go from there.

 

Peace, Love and Long Live Tecmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, suicideking81 said:

You're making it seem like Hal stole this event from Dave. The email posted by Hal shows a date of late June when LPGE made the decision to have Hal do the event. I'm assuming they waited til a month before the event to make the change because they were waiting on Dave to make a decision, which I assume he decided not to or just never responded to doing the event. So in my opinion (which isnt worth much) no one can fault Hal for jumping on the opportunity when asked seeing how he is looking to get more exposure for the Tecmo Tour. 

 

I knew about this on April 9th at 10:53 am CST.  TBH I would have sat on it forever because I don't really want to have this drama but you see that facebook page just being pulled by whomever did it simply triggered me. Until there is a resolution I have no intention of backing down and we can continue to fill this tournament thread until the end of time if that's what needs to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2018 at 12:07 PM, Knobbe said:

 

I knew about this on April 9th at 10:53 am CST.  TBH I would have sat on it forever because I don't really want to have this drama but you see that facebook page just being pulled by whomever did it simply triggered me. Until there is a resolution I have no intention of backing down and we can continue to fill this tournament thread until the end of time if that's what needs to happen.

 

Getting a first hand account from Dave along with any notification would go a long way in resolving this issue. Yet he's remained silent on this matter.

 

Has Dave provided any email or anything from FB saying his page was taken down and by whom?

 

Selfishly I just want this to end because no matter how this plays out both parties (You/Dave and Hal) will have had irreversible damage done to your reputations and one party in particular may have been accused for false information.

 

 

Edited by suicideking81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I updated my initial post to reflect that I don't know who pulled the facebook page.

What I'm really looking for here is an acknowledgement that this event was booked without the common courtesy of asking Dave first whether or not he planned to continue with it. When I'm talking about closure, this is it....I just didn't think I would have to spell it out like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Knobbe said:

I updated my initial post to reflect that I don't know who pulled the facebook page.

What I'm really looking for here is an acknowledgement that this event was booked without the common courtesy of asking Dave first whether or not he planned to continue with it. When I'm talking about closure, this is it....I just didn't think I would have to spell it out like this.

 

That's not good enough. I want a complete retraction and public apology. You accused me by name. You didn't know who was responsible for the DMCA from the beginning, yet you went ahead and publicly accused me by name anyway. This post had over 400 views before you edited your statement, so you've already damaged my personal reputation and that of my business.

 

I have asked Dave several times already for screenshots of the emails FB sends out when you create a page and when a DMCA issue occurs, and he has ignored each request. I can find no record that such FB page ever existed.

As far as whether or not Dave was going to manage Tecmo Dallas this year, here are Dave's own words from May 29, 2018, "As of now, I have zero Tecmo plans in the near future." You'll have to contact Christian for the records of communication he has had with Dave about doing Tecmo Dallas again. Ever heard of due diligence before accusing someone publicly?

Edited by HalHawkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Knobbe said:

What I'm really looking for here is an acknowledgement that this event was booked without the common courtesy of asking Dave first whether or not he planned to continue with it.

This seems to be a reasonable request in the grand scheme of things. 

 

3 hours ago, HalHawkins said:

As far as whether or not Dave was going to manage Tecmo Dallas this year, here are Dave's own words from May 29, 2018, "As of now, I have zero Tecmo plans in the near future." You'll have to contact Christian for the records of communication he has had with Dave about doing Tecmo Dallas again. Ever heard of due diligence before accusing someone publicly?

As for this statement - that's great, but did you actually speak with Dave? That's all Matt is asking. He is just saying that in a community such as ours - which I am frankly stunned is as respectful and considerate as any community out there - common courtesy goes a long way. Last year, Dave did the following:

-He posted a thread on this site here.

-He at least set up a facebook event page here.

-He did cross posts on the facebook page of the LPGE (facebook event page here, though a search is all you really need).

-He posted seeding and tournament information on the Tecmo Madison website (the main Tecmo-related sponsor) here.

-He did his own posting on Tecmo Madison with redirects to the registration and expo page here.

-He at least did enough to have some information updated on the smash.gg site for the tournament here.

That is quite a bit of work that seems to be neglected during these discussions. He also flew out to Dallas and ran the thing while calling me on the phone to help organize and arrange the tournament structure itself - a task that I am always more than willing to do for any tournament that asks and will help without question. 

All of these moves by Dave did have a self-serving end - generating a buzz for Tecmo that could be sustained through Madison. The efficacy of that effort is a question we don't really have the data to answer, nor is it something that myself or other statistically minded people would want to try and tackle. However, the efforts did produce this one last thing...

 

An entire thread (link here), started by one of the great players of live tournaments, asking whether or not there are too many tournaments or what can the community do about it. The thread kind of petered out after 3 pages of lively and informative discussion from several live tournament veterans. I enjoyed it because I am a nerd. It did end though with a telling quote:

 
Quote
On 12/14/2017 at 1:32 PM, trojan1979 said:

 A lot has already been said on the subject.  Despite all the reactions and opinions, not every tournament organizer out there is going to fall in line with hopes of avoiding the dates of other events.  I think it's ultimately up to the individual organizers out there to communicate with other regional organizers, and see if they are agreeable to a compromise on timing of events.

 

War Machine contacted me before Thunderdome as I was looking to do another online tournament in the fall, and after talking with him, it made sense to hold off, so that's exactly what I did.  His communication was perfect, and an example of thoughtful and effective negotiation of the issue.

 

Ultimately, it's up to each organizer to decide how they want to do things.  Hopefully folks stay diplomatic along the way.

 

At the end of the day, @trojan1979 is right - we all have to stay diplomatic and communicate with other organizers, especially those who have either previously run a tournament in the area and have a record of being public with tournament proclamations or those who are taking over a tournament date/tournament name from a tournament organizer. Landing and expanding is a great strategy if you are a consultant, not so much if you are looking to build lasting relationships within a community. 

 

This is after all, a community of people who play a game for the sheer joy of competition, not necessarily because the community is going to be featured on Kotaku, shown on Twitch, or have a developer sponsored league with deep pockets attached to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

that's great, but did you actually speak with Dave?

 

No, and I have no obligation to. My company is contracted to run retro gaming tournaments with conventions. The responsibility of assigning management of tournaments lies with the conventions. Dave doesn't own this tournament, and he does not have exclusive right to run it. When I was asked to manage it back in June, I accepted. My primary responsibility is to my clients. Am I supposed to contact the previous TO's for every tournament at every convention that hire me? Its not my business to do that, nor am I privy to all the information regarding why previous TO's were not rehired. My priority is future tournaments that my company manages, not previous tournaments managed by others.

 

6 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

This seems to be a reasonable request in the grand scheme of things. 

 

 

Then the accusations should never have been directed at me. People need to understand, again, that Dave does not own Tecmo nor does he own the tournament in question. I will continue to repeat that it is not my responsibility to communicate with Dave about this.

 

9 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

Last year, Dave did the following:

-He posted a thread on this site here.

-He at least set up a facebook event page here.

-He did cross posts on the facebook page of the LPGE (facebook event page here, though a search is all you really need).

-He posted seeding and tournament information on the Tecmo Madison website (the main Tecmo-related sponsor) here.

-He did his own posting on Tecmo Madison with redirects to the registration and expo page here.

-He at least did enough to have some information updated on the smash.gg site for the tournament here.

That is quite a bit of work that seems to be neglected during these discussions.

 

So what? That should be normal for any tournament organizer and has no bearing towards the issue at hand. And no one is questioning the existence of the FB event page. I have been accused of engaging in malicious and underhanded behavior to take the tournament away from Dave and get an FB page deleted, which is an absolute lie.

 

10 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

He also flew out to Dallas

 

Its my understanding that LPGE flew him out there, and again has no bearing. Besides, how hard is that? I drive tens of thousands of miles each year pulling a big trailer and actually provide all the TVs, streaming equipment, consoles, controllers, carts, and projector/screen. It'd be wonderful if all I had to do was post things on the internet, get flown out to conventions, and not have to provide any equipment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Knobbe said:

I updated my initial post to reflect that I don't know who pulled the facebook page.

What I'm really looking for here is an acknowledgement that this event was booked without the common courtesy of asking Dave first whether or not he planned to continue with it. When I'm talking about closure, this is it....I just didn't think I would have to spell it out like this.

 

I'll repeat this question: Am I supposed to contact the previous TO's for every tournament at every convention that hire me? Its not my business to do that, nor am I privy to all the information regarding why previous TO's were not rehired. My priority is future tournaments that my company manages, not previous tournaments managed by others. When Let's Play asked me in June to manage the tournament, I accepted and began preparations for it. That is my company's responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HalHawkins said:

No, and I have no obligation to. My company is contracted to run retro gaming tournaments with conventions.

I thought this was a dispute among members of the community. I merely poked my head up above the parapet because the community doesn't work if tournament organizers don't talk to each other.

 

9 hours ago, HalHawkins said:

My priority is future tournaments that my company manages, not previous tournaments managed by others.

And now we get to the rub of the issue and why some people - I am now one of them - find some of this stuff no longer interesting and more detrimental. You run a business, therefore your main goal is to make money. I (and others) participate in and run tournaments because they are fun, exciting, and are a great way to get together with a bunch of guys who all love the same thing. The goal of the tournament scene in my experience is the actual experience of the event, *not* to make money. In point of fact, others have now started posting on their tournament registration pages and in tournament information the prize pool and payouts showing that all money coming in goes to the players. Partly this is because of a growing transparency in the community about the tournament scene and partly because people seem to think every tournament makes money while almost all do not. 

 

10 hours ago, HalHawkins said:

People need to understand, again, that Dave does not own Tecmo nor does he own the tournament in question.

Neither do you. 

 

10 hours ago, HalHawkins said:

I drive tens of thousands of miles each year pulling a big trailer and actually provide all the TVs, streaming equipment, consoles, controllers, carts, and projector/screen. It'd be wonderful if all I had to do was post things on the internet, get flown out to conventions, and not have to provide any equipment.

In 12 years of Tecmo Madison - I know this is hard for some people to realize that I've been there since the beginning - I have received $0 for my efforts. For a decade I worked pretty hard, helping the original founders as best I could, keeping the tournament ticking over while they went deeper in the tournaments than I did. My work generated $0. For the last two years I have worked with Dave in his efforts with Madison. I spend about 7 months doing Tecmo Madison work now - total amount of money for my work: $0. 

 

Total attendees at those events now regularly head above 200. It would be easier if I was paid to do all that work, but then my goal is to insure that everyone has a good time, not to make money for a business. Dumb not to try and make as much money from the community as possible I suppose. 

 

I wish you luck in all your endeavors going forward, hopefully your Tecmo tournament attendee count grows beyond 16, hopefully you make as much money as possible to keep your business running since you apparently have high overhead, and hopefully all those conventions that are in various towns across the country don't unluckily choose to usurp tournament dates set out by others who choose to do this for fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qb_browns said:

Dumb not to try and make as much money from the community as possible I suppose. 

 

The assertion that I am trying to make money from the community is false. My company doesn't make money from players. I am paid by conventions. I charge a $2 tournament fee if you want to register online to cover Paypal fees. I pay for the custom Tecmo trophies ($80 a piece). 100% of entry fees go to the prize pool. The only time I will have a higher tournament fee is for Tecmo NOLA because it is not a convention, and I am paying for the entire venue and staff and travel. How can any of that possibly be detrimental to the community? How is that any different than what most Tecmo tournament organizers do?

 

1 hour ago, qb_browns said:

The goal of the tournament scene in my experience is the actual experience of the event, *not* to make money.

 

And that's why conventions hire me. Because I bring the best experience, the best trophies, and the best equipment and will always strive to do so. My company brings retro tournaments to places where they haven't ever taken place or have taken place at the level that we bring. I love retro gaming and want to bring it to as many people as possible. 

 

1 hour ago, qb_browns said:

I spend about 7 months doing Tecmo Madison work now - total amount of money for my work: $0. 

 

That's unfortunate. I pay my staff, and I don't threaten to cancel events because we don't have enough volunteers.

 

And since its "detrimental" to make money off the TSB community (which my company doesn't), how much profit does Tecmo Madison take from the community? Let's work on an estimate here for this year's Tecmo Madison.

 

image.thumb.png.3fff33d0f523bfecdbeb7bbac16b4fa0.png

 

Well that's just unfortunate if it is true. Surely the community won't allow that to continue. Maybe its time for Tecmo Madison volunteers to start getting paid for their time and hard work, especially after so many years of dedication. This would also ensure that no one profits off Tecmo events.

 

1 hour ago, qb_browns said:

hopefully all those conventions that are in various towns across the country don't unluckily choose to usurp tournament dates set out by others who choose to do this for fun. 

 

No one has been usurped. The allegation that Dave was usurped by me, my company, or anyone else is absolutely false and defamatory. He was HIRED (I do not know the compensation amount) for Let's Play last year and was not rehired this year. Its that simple. I asked a very simple question, and you ignored it. Am I supposed to contact the previous TO's for every tournament at every convention that hire me?

 

You have to start realizing that you and others on here are making or implying serious and false accusations against actual companies. To make these false statements damages our reputations and adversely affects business. I don't have to spell out the legal implications of that.

Edited by HalHawkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

And now we get to the rub of the issue and why some people - I am now one of them - find some of this stuff no longer interesting and more detrimental. You run a business, therefore your main goal is to make money. I (and others) participate in and run tournaments because they are fun, exciting, and are a great way to get together with a bunch of guys who all love the same thing. The goal of the tournament scene in my experience is the actual experience of the event, *not* to make money. In point of fact, others have now started posting on their tournament registration pages and in tournament information the prize pool and payouts showing that all money coming in goes to the players. Partly this is because of a growing transparency in the community about the tournament scene and partly because people seem to think every tournament makes money while almost all do not. 

 

In 12 years of Tecmo Madison - I know this is hard for some people to realize that I've been there since the beginning - I have received $0 for my efforts. For a decade I worked pretty hard, helping the original founders as best I could, keeping the tournament ticking over while they went deeper in the tournaments than I did. My work generated $0. For the last two years I have worked with Dave in his efforts with Madison. I spend about 7 months doing Tecmo Madison work now - total amount of money for my work: $0.  

 

This about sums up how *most* of this community operates, because of people like you and many others. Most tournament directors/team members do this because they love the game, love the brotherhood, and love to see people having a good time (many times, at their own personal expense of money and/or time). So many people put in a phenomenal amount of effort, not for their own personal gain (as some unfortunately do), but for the betterment of the experience for others. 

 

We we have run five Tundra Bowl events. After obvious expenses, I had enough to pay for my lunch this year, and I think that’s because a friend bought a T-Shirt from me. Every other year it was a loss or it broke even. I choose to do this, not to exploit the community for personal benefit as some choose to do (albeit, some more overtly than others), but because of providing a time where people can come and enjoy the game, and enjoy each other’s company. That’s it; it’s that simple. I have five other people on the Tundra Bowl team who all are there for the same common purpose. Sure, we want to grow the community, but for unselfish reasons. It’s a select few that sometimes sour, what I think, is the greatest extracurricular community I’ve been a part of outside of football.

 

Instead of fracturing the community and creating pockets of allegiance, we need to come together and enjoy the game we all love, together. What everyone needs to do is examine, in their own hearts, what is your motivation? Is it to divide, or to commune? Is it to tear people down, or is it to lift others up? Is it for your own glory, or is it to edify others? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The misguided self importance here is comical.

 

Since I’ve seen nearly the same “numbers” since before Madison, at least we know the source of accusation now. (Not Hal? Maybe he was given that spreadsheet? Just saying I am seeing it in full now and it is coming from this “camp”.)

 

Storage this year was ~3100

You can’t manage an AWS site with RDS, Elasticache and etc for less than 90/mo.

You forgot travel/lodging/food for 5 staff.

You forgot travel/lodging/food for multiple trips per year to madison.

You forgot advertising.

You forgot email services. (before you complain, you can’t use free email services for a list of 30k people.)

You forgot box truck rentals.

You forgot all the donation entries.

You forgot free flight travel and hotels for multiple less fortunate players per year.

 

Who knows what else. I’m on my phone and really don’t care. The assumption here is amazing.

 

Hal, post your P&L for 16, 17 and 18ytd then I’ll post mine. I promise you my losses are far greater.

 

Adios, Tecmo.

 

P.S. I have the IP of the person who submitted the takedown as of yesterday. That person has multiple accounts on multiple sites and services. They are posting in this thread. 

I’m not disclosing who it is because the more they visit our forum from different locations, the more dots I can connect back to them in regards to other drama and accusations. Multiple Discord accounts, twitter accounts, TPC profiles, you name it.

 

I will post it all in full in due time. Maybe I’ll pull a RWS and announce it the weekend of this person’s Upcoming event.

 

It wasn’t Hal, however, It is an associate of Hal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it extremely interesting that we've somehow moved off of the alleged, "Hal stole this", to the, "he's a business screw him" approach.  No one seemed to care about the RWS being a business until this "situation" with Dallas creeped up.

 

Why don't we add something else.  Hal is really, really, tall.  Most tournament organizers are 6 foot tall or shorter, but Hal's 6'8".  This is obviously an unfair advantage to running tournaments.  His stunning good looks draw players by the dozens away from more established altruistic tournaments, while Hal swims in his money bin after every tournament.

I'd also like to add that Hal is terrible at Tecmo Super Bowl, so that makes him unfit to run a tournament.  ;)

 

Taking a loss at a tournament doesn't make another tournament evil for covering its expenses, and Hal has been quite clear on how he gets paid has nothing to do with the players at conventions, but by the convention organizers, which Tecmo Dallas is a part of.  Tecmo is one of many tournaments covered at the majority of each of his Tecmo Tour events.

 

I see nothing but jealousy, fear, and feeble attempts to squash something that doesn't deserve such treatment.  No one is going to stop attending other tournaments because these events exist.

 

I think Hal still deserves a public apology for being treated like this.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I can tell (I must mention that I have limited knowledge of the situation) Hal hasn't done anything wrong.  It looks like Hal keep the Dallas tournament alive while Dave had much more important things to do and I thank him for that.  I welcome Hal into our group and hope I can attend a tournament of his one day without the fear of anyone being betrayed.  This is a community and I think we all want to see it grow.

Edited by hankthetank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2018 at 5:26 PM, HalHawkins said:

I want a complete retraction and public apology

 

As you can see from my first post I have not only changed it but have given you an endorsement.  I'm not endorsing your tournament to cull any sort of favor or anything like that as much as I believe what I said. From what I've heard from anyone who's been to your events I've heard favorable things.  There is no doubt in my mind this will be a fine tournament.  I've been planning to attend your Omaha event if that ends up happening and I don't have other obligations. I also didn't change it to erase the record of me saying it because my original post is still there in your quote. 

 

When I posted that I thought you had Dave's DMCA page pulled it was a poorly thought out assumption on my part and for that I do apologize.  Who else would really care?  It was a careless assumption.  I now know with certainty that it wasn't you and from reading your posts I suspect that you had no idea it was being done and the person who did do this probably still hasn't even bothered to tell you in confidence.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2018 at 9:43 PM, HalHawkins said:

 

I'll repeat this question: Am I supposed to contact the previous TO's for every tournament at every convention that hire me? Its not my business to do that, nor am I privy to all the information regarding why previous TO's were not rehired. My priority is future tournaments that my company manages, not previous tournaments managed by others. When Let's Play asked me in June to manage the tournament, I accepted and began preparations for it. That is my company's responsibility.

 

If there is an offroad community or dodge ball community these are not my concerns.  My concern is this community.  You released a graphic about tournaments in April highlighting Texas as a potential tournament spot and you were at LPGE last year and it's near your home base of operation. Of course you'd like to host part of the Tecmo Tour there.  I think only one person could host a Tecmo Tournament there though and Dave did last year.  It's now very obvious that he has no plans to do so this year but did you know that?  I didn't and I talk to the guy on a regular basis. What would have happened if he had planned to run that tournament this year?

 

I'm not sure how often it will be an issue on this forum where I would expect anyone to live up to the same standard.  What I would like is for you to acknowledge that you should have, in fact, asked Dave if he planned on having his tournament again at that same event and that you shall strive to do so in the future.  For this soul searching I would certain find that you are now aware of your  community obligations and would be happy to move all the posts except for the first two somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 9:20 AM, HalHawkins said:

And since its "detrimental" to make money off the TSB community (which my company doesn't), how much profit does Tecmo Madison take from the community? Let's work on an estimate here for this year's Tecmo Madison.

 

image.thumb.png.3fff33d0f523bfecdbeb7bbac16b4fa0.png

 

 

I'm somewhat happy that in fact someone took the time to think they knew about the finances of Tecmo Madison (whoever made this chart) because it gives credence to me hearing that certain people in certain midwestern tournaments have already been laying out this stink.  It does matter who: if you've heard it from someone that's who it is and you can wonder about their motivation for expecting the worse and being wrong about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

 

If there is an offroad community or dodge ball community these are not my concerns.  My concern is this community.  You released a graphic about tournaments in April highlighting Texas as a potential tournament spot and you were at LPGE last year and it's near your home base of operation. Of course you'd like to host part of the Tecmo Tour there.  I think only one person could host a Tecmo Tournament there though and Dave did last year.  It's now very obvious that he has no plans to do so this year but did you know that?  I didn't and I talk to the guy on a regular basis. What would have happened if he had planned to run that tournament this year?

 

I'm not sure how often it will be an issue on this forum where I would expect anyone to live up to the same standard.  What I would like is for you to acknowledge that you should have, in fact, asked Dave if he planned on having his tournament again at that same event and that you shall strive to do so in the future.  For this soul searching I would certain find that you are now aware of your  community obligations and would be happy to move all the posts except for the first two somewhere else.

 

This is what happens when you assume. Ever heard of Houston? There are other places in Texas outside of Dallas that exist where I have been asked to bring Tecmo. I have never been obligated nor ever will feel obligated to ask Dave anything (and after this I have no desire to ever speak to Dave again).

 

All I knew (before Let's Play informed me in June) was he didn't have plans to because he proclaimed it publicly to the entire Tecmo community. Was I supposed to question the truthfulness of his public statement?

 

"As of now, I have zero Tecmo plans in the near future."

 

Finally, it is not up to Dave whether or not he gets to do it again, despite his plans. It is up to Let's Play who gets to do it again.

 

If you had bothered to read the email I posted, you would have read, "We’re going to do what we can to make sure the Tecmo community continues to thrive and don’t want you to think you’ve been replaced. If and when you are ready to come back to the gaming community, we’ll be here for you."

 

Try some due diligence and go ask them for once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 10:37 AM, trojan1979 said:

I find it extremely interesting that we've somehow moved off of the alleged, "Hal stole this", to the, "he's a business screw him" approach.  No one seemed to care about the RWS being a business until this "situation" with Dallas creeped up.

 

Why don't we add something else.  Hal is really, really, tall.  Most tournament organizers are 6 foot tall or shorter, but Hal's 6'8".  This is obviously an unfair advantage to running tournaments.  His stunning good looks draw players by the dozens away from more established altruistic tournaments, while Hal swims in his money bin after every tournament.

I'd also like to add that Hal is terrible at Tecmo Super Bowl, so that makes him unfit to run a tournament.  ;)

 

Taking a loss at a tournament doesn't make another tournament evil for covering its expenses, and Hal has been quite clear on how he gets paid has nothing to do with the players at conventions, but by the convention organizers, which Tecmo Dallas is a part of.  Tecmo is one of many tournaments covered at the majority of each of his Tecmo Tour events.

 

I see nothing but jealousy, fear, and feeble attempts to squash something that doesn't deserve such treatment.  No one is going to stop attending other tournaments because these events exist.

 

I think Hal still deserves a public apology for being treated like this.

 

 

The unintentional comedy of this thread is off the charts but I would like to address one thing: What am I jealous of and why would you bring it up other than it fits your narrative that you're the person who needs to stand up to the rift that you have invented.  If anyone was to really think about what it is I'm doing on here, which is provide a section for people to promote their Tecmo tournaments because I believe in the camaraderie that these events provide, why on earth would I want less events.  Hal is putting on events in locations that don't really see a lot of Tecmo action.  Why on earth would I be against that? Even if your argument is that I don't like Hal, why would I do that to the people who live in those areas?  Think real long and hard if you need to...what do I really care other than that people generally get along and play Tecmo.

 

But hey man, if part of coming for the cheddar and staying for the friendship is to manipulate people into thinking you're out there saving them from the big bad tecmo forum guy, good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HalHawkins said:

This is what happens when you assume. Ever heard of Houston? There are other places in Texas outside of Dallas that exist where I have been asked to bring Tecmo. I have never been obligated nor ever will feel obligated to ask Dave anything (and after this I have no desire to ever speak to Dave again).

 

It's your thread. If your hubris outweighs what should be an easy business decision then so be it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

 

The unintentional comedy of this thread is off the charts but I would like to address one thing: What am I jealous of and why would you bring it up other than it fits your narrative that you're the person who needs to stand up to the rift that you have invented.  If anyone was to really think about what it is I'm doing on here, which is provide a section for people to promote their Tecmo tournaments because I believe in the camaraderie that these events provide, why on earth would I want less events.  Hal is putting on events in locations that don't really see a lot of Tecmo action.  Why on earth would I be against that? Even if your argument is that I don't like Hal, why would I do that to the people who live in those areas?  Think real long and hard if you need to...what do I really care other than that people generally get along and play Tecmo.

 

But hey man, if part of coming for the cheddar and staying for the friendship is to manipulate people into thinking you're out there saving them from the big bad tecmo forum guy, good luck.

 

If throwing dirt on my or my name is your main goal, perhaps do it in a new thread and leave the RWS out of it.  Hal doesn't deserve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

 

It's your thread. If your hubris outweighs what should be an easy business decision then so be it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

One you so eloquently hijacked by spreading inaccurate information to the tune of about 800 views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×