91 Redskins

This team isn't really that good on this 

Game, well I think. Was this a tecmo 

Mixup? Because they were in fact badass and champs that year..

I can rarely march down field with this team, and it's cuz rypien can't hit the 

Posse with a baseball bat forget a football...

If anyone wants to chime in feel free

i thought it was based of of 1990 because Steve Grogan is in the game and in 1990 the redskins went 10-6 with is good but Mark Rypien threw 16 td's to 11 int's and only started 10 games they relied on a good o-line and rb and above average defense here are the stats they are pretty cool https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1990.htm

22 hours ago, Tecmo man said:

i thought it was based of of 1990 because Steve Grogan is in the game and in 1990 the redskins went 10-6 with is good but Mark Rypien threw 16 td's to 11 int's and only started 10 games they relied on a good o-line and rb and above average defense here are the stats they are pretty cool https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1990.htm

This is correct it's based on 1990, but I have memories (nightmares?) of the Redskins from 1991. As a Cowboys fan, I was very pumped for the promise of the young team from Dallas only 2 seasons removed from 1-15. In week 2, they hosted the Redskins on Monday Night Football and it was an exciting game. While the final was 33-31 Washington, it wasn't that close at the end, as a late Dallas TD made it look closer than it was.

The rematch is one of my favorite Cowboys wins of all time. The Redskins were 11-0, and Dallas was 6-5 after some tough losses. Dallas pulled out the stops, Onsides recovered after their first TD, hail mary at Half time from Aikman to Harper, Aikman gets hurt and Beuerlein comes in. They won 24-21, and Jimmy Johnson in the post game locker room "When you go up against a big gorilla, you don't just tap it, you hit it with EVERYTHING YA GOT!"

Why nightmares about that 91 Redskins team? It seemed that EVERY SINGLE TIME Rypien cocked his arm back to make a deep throw, that sucker was gonna be complete. THAT's HONESTLY HOW IT FELT. I believe Kurt Gouveia was a rookie that year. If the atts on TSB were to reflect the 91 Redskins better, I would have made Wilbur Marshall better and given Rypien more PC, like 63. I'm guessing @vogtcd11 knows what I'm talking about. Rypien fartz

• 1 year later...

I always suspected the game designers at Tecmo hated the Redskins. Case-in-point: Darrel Green was always fast and athletic in the game, but 44 INT? Come on, man! He didn't get that many picks because no one threw to his side of the field. They didn't even bother updating his attributes from year to year. This guy is in the HoF and should have had elite attributes. In general, this was a top-tier team for a decade. They were regularly in the mix to win it all. It's hard to understand why they were so terrible in TSB.

The year the game is based off the Redskins finished 10-6 so they are represented pretty well. They were never a team that had a roster full of huge stars. They were always just a very solid team from top to bottom and the game represents that. The '91 Redskins just had several players have career years all at the same time.

19 hours ago, BO FB Offtackle Left said:

Everyone saying the Redskins suck in the game, I have to ask, you do change the playbook when you play as them, right? Because the playbook really does suck. Also, use Mayhew on defense, he's only a notch below Green in speed and has a 69 Int rating.

They really are just an average team, though, when you look at who you normally match them up with (MIN, TB, DET, SD etc.).  They're certainly not in the tier where you'd expect the Super Bowl champs.  But they certainly don't suck.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 10:16 AM, sony12 said:

The year the game is based off the Redskins finished 10-6 so they are represented pretty well. They were never a team that had a roster full of huge stars. They were always just a very solid team from top to bottom and the game represents that. The '91 Redskins just had several players have career years all at the same time.

Agreed; however, I will argue that the TSB designers seemed to cater to certain teams and star players who have monster abilities regardless of their in-season stats. In 1990, Deion had 3 INTs vs 4 for Green--same number of INTs as David Fulcher, btw. So, LBs Kyle Clifton and Gary Reasons (3 INTs each in '90) have higher interception abilities and quickness (which has some effect upon drone coverage, maybe?) than Darrel Green? There are several other similar examples. I don't understand.

3 hours ago, ststeven11 said:

Agreed; however, I will argue that the TSB designers seemed to cater to certain teams and star players who have monster abilities regardless of their in-season stats. In 1990, Deion had 3 INTs vs 4 for Green--same number of INTs as David Fulcher, btw. So, LBs Kyle Clifton and Gary Reasons (3 INTs each in '90) have higher interception abilities and quickness (which has some effect upon drone coverage, maybe?) than Darrel Green? There are several other similar examples. I don't understand.

with regard to the linebackers, they probably get far fewer balls thrown at them in RL and in Tecmo (drones anyway).  So if you want them to get more picks in the game they’d need to have higher INT ratings.  Drone Green should end up with more just by volume.  Now if you man the defender that changes, but he is much faster as well, increasing  his opportunities. Only so much realism can be injected.  

Yes, Washington deserved some boosts to their ratings since it doesn't quite represent the season they had. 1991 was just a season where everything went right. 

Washington was under-represented even by the 1990 seasons stats. INTs were very common back in the 90s. Washington pass offense was top 5 so Rypien probably deserves a one notch boost in pass control or at least a stronger arm which would make the pass offense more potent in tecmo. 

Offensive line doesn't mean as much in tecmo unless there are major hacks so the best part of their team plays a minor role in tecmo. 

Darrel Green deserves at least 56 int. Mayhew could have been given 75int with 7 picks. Washington deserved at least 1-2 decent lbs. Their run defense was very good according to FO's metrics. At minimum Wilbur Marshall should be a good player for the LB core given his body of work. 

In the NFL the number of healthy starter caliber players every week is huge. you have every week is huge. In tecmo injuries have minimal impact and no impact on defense.