To the guy that plays tsb2 alot

tecmoalpha

• 2 months later...

Yes, definitely. Fumbles happen more regularly in TSB 2 than the other versions, or so it seems. It's the one version of Tecmo where anything can go wrong at any time like the COM calling your play and forcing a fumble, or just a tipped ball getting intercepted. I think I am the only person in the world who loves TSB 2 and a lot of it has to do with the increased difficulty. The COM can really bite you in the ass if you get lazy with play calling or run the wrong defensive scheme. 

I had a season one time where Barry Sanders fumbled 6 times in a matter of 3 games. That is my most memorable one, Sanders turned into a fumble machine that year for some odd reason. I've also had it happen with Jerry Rice from time to time (he can fumble often in the 1992 season) and Michael Irvin a few times. 

The fumbles tend to happen often if the COM calls your play right or when the player is getting gang-tackled by 3-5 players. 

Edited by _DEBERG

• 5 months later...

I read your article about team ratings on TSB II.  I thought it was great.  I also read about keeping the original playbook to make it challenging.  I tried it and wow huge difference.  I chose the Bears went 15-1 lost to the steelers in week 16.  Then got killed first round of the playoffs by Dallas.  I had the 2nd worst ranked offense and the 1st ranked defense for every category.  I used 5 minute quarters.  I was curious on any other tips you might have?  What quarter length do you use so the stats are about right for games and seasons?  My offense was horrible, The playbook is terrible for passing.  RB Bears was injured 4 separate times during the season lol.  Just joined the forum to ask you a few questions.  Thanks for your time

Ken

On 1/23/2019 at 11:51 PM, Ken said:

I read your article about team ratings on TSB II.  I thought it was great.  I also read about keeping the original playbook to make it challenging.  I tried it and wow huge difference.  I chose the Bears went 15-1 lost to the steelers in week 16.  Then got killed first round of the playoffs by Dallas.  I had the 2nd worst ranked offense and the 1st ranked defense for every category.  I used 5 minute quarters.  I was curious on any other tips you might have?  What quarter length do you use so the stats are about right for games and seasons?  My offense was horrible, The playbook is terrible for passing.  RB Bears was injured 4 separate times during the season lol.  Just joined the forum to ask you a few questions.  Thanks for your time

Ken

Hi there, thanks for your comment. Sorry I am a little late replying to you (Hard to get online sometimes when staying busy in real life). 

I use the same quarter length in my game. 5 minutes is the base and what I'd recommend. I have toyed with 7 minute quarters and it just makes the games drag on excessively. 

I ran a season with the Bears back last summer and the results were similar to yours except I used the 1993 season. I went 12-4 and got bounced in the wildcard round to the Giants. I lost 17-10 in this weird game. The Giants blocked 2 field goals which were their only TDs. I had Rodney Hampton completely shut down and Simms had less than 50 passing yards, yet I lost because my offense couldn't do a damn thing and the 14 point swing from 2 blocked field goals. It was a 3-3 game when my first field goal was blocked but I ended up down 17-3 in the 4th quarter cause the second block happened on my first drive of the 3rd quarter. I was so mad after that, but had plenty of time to do something. 

Their defense was phenomenal and I was able to go with the #1 ranked defense, #2 ranked pass defense and #1 ranked rushing defense. I really like the Bears defenses in the 3 seasons of this game. They are my kind of team, as I more of a defensive player with Tecmo. 

I felt like I was playing with the 2000 Ravens when it came to their offense. I won at least 3 games in my 12-4 season all thanks to defense pulling miracles with pick sixes and fumble recoveries. Butler is a great kicker in these games and I was relying on him to make long field goals. 

The Bears offense is really difficult to get in tune with, I definitely feel your pain there. RB Bears got injured for me too 3 times in my season. At one point, both of my main RBs were injured and I had to rely on Harbaugh's limited accuracy and a bunch of dropped passes from the receivers (some games they drop everything). 

The one thing that stood out for me in my Bears season was all the blocked field goals. Some time half way into the year, the COM began blocking my kicks. I still won games, but I had 3 specific losses (including playoffs) where a blocked field goal was either ran back for a touchdown or returned to the other side of the field setting up a touchdown for the opponent. I've never had this happen to such a point in any other season with another team in this game. The Bears are one of my anomalies with this game. 

One hint I can give you about the Bears and also the Steelers; special teams with kick returns may be a strength for you. Both Chicago and Pittsburgh have dangerous return men in Rod Woodson and Donnell Woolford. It's often joked on the TSB 3 board on here that Rod is God of that game cause his speed stats and INT rate make him the best CB in the whole game. 

Over the years, I've returned tons of kick offs for TDs with Woodson. I ran a season with Pittsburgh one time where Woodson's kick off returns for TDs were more productive than my offense with Neil O'Donnell throwing bad passes everywhere (Neil O'Donnell sucks in these games and they were made before his bad INTs in the Super Bowl. Tecmo got it right and could predict his bad interceptions). Woolford is also good for kick returns, where even if you don't get a TD, he can get you great field position. 

Always keep in mind that this specific game has a much harder difficulty from the other Tecmo games. If you find TSB 2 to be too difficult, I'd recommend you trying the 3rd game. It's mostly the same style (more advanced defenses and bigger playbooks) but the difficulty is much easier and to my knowledge, the Bears are a better team in TSB 3. They are arguably one of the more underrated teams of that game, it's just their schedule can seem brutal due to the QBs they face in their division (Favre, Moon and Mitchell are tough while Dilfer is a joke). 

Edited by _DEBERG

I have played TSB 3 many many times.  Great game, I've done trade mode etc.  I want to win 3 in a row with the TSB II as it is an option and seems like a challenge.  I have never done it.  I don't like choosing great teams either, I like the challenge. 

Harbaugh did get me 3800 yards 38td 14 int.  Not great but worked out.  I see these huge stats but I try and play balanced, I like 1000 yard backs 1000 yard receivers etc.  I also punt on 4th or kick.  So I wonder how do people throw no pics and 75 touchdowns in a season.  I just don't see the time for it.  I don't run up and down the screen making defenders chase me as I see this as too easy. 

What is your take on the up and down diagonal running situation with these games?  I am going to try Cincy for 3 years to see if I can do it with them.  Their playbook makes them a workable team.  Some plays that are doable with out a ton of INTs.  The bears have slow routes and Harbaugh throwing to any receiver in motion.....well who knows where it will end up.  Most likely a pic.

Thanks for your time

Ken