Sign in to follow this  
BigFatPaulie

Hall of Fame 1990 Candidates

Posted (edited)

Reminder of the Criteria:

The WTF Hall of Fame will ran by the HOF Committee.  The Committee will consist of the HOF Commissioner (myself) and 5 committee members.  The introductory committee will consist of Jesusluvsme4ever, Chiefs Jr, Bone, Arncoem, and Bo.  The Commissioner will nominate all eligible players and the committee will vote.  Only the Committee members can vote, but all league owners can respond and discuss in the voting forum.

Guidelines for Eligibility:

A player will require 66% of the vote to become a hall member.

The player has to have played at least 5 seasons.

The player has to have retired at least 3 seasons ago.

A player can only be eligible a maximum of three different times.  If they don't accumulate enough votes three times, they can no longer be eligible in the future.

There will be a maximum of 5 eligible players allowed for nomination per year.  There will be no minimum.

Owners are eligible to join the HOF, but must have played at least 10 seasons or impacted the league dramatically (ie, Brooks-wtfphile)

And on to the candidates:

1.  Franco Harris, RB

http://www.wtf2.puretecmo.com/main/player_hist.php?pID=147

Franco Harris was drafted in the inaugural WTF draft in the 2nd round by the Buffalo Bills.  Harris played 6 seasons and rushed for over 1,000 yards 5 of those seasons.  He was a 2 time Pro Bowler, and 2 time All Pro.  He has 2 Super Bowl rings, winning them back to back in 1980 and 1981.  He has 7,475 career rushing yards and 1,173 receiving yards.  Harris finished with 70 total touchdowns and a career 9.3 ypc.  This is Harris' second nomination.

2.  Walter Payton, RB

http://www.wtf2.puretecmo.com/main/player_hist.php?pID=189

Payton was originally drafted in the 1st round of the inaugural WTF draft by the Houston Oilers.  He played eight seasons and ranks in the top 10 in career rushing yards with 10,226and has over 100 rushing td's.  He is a 3 time All-Pro, 4 time Pro Bowler, and was the 1981 Offensive MVP in which he ran for over 2,600 yards and 28 touchdowns.  That is the second and 3rd most in a season respectively.  He also rushed for 384 yards in a single game that season, still a wtf record.  His career 11.1 ypc is currently the most by any running back in history.  Payton's career can be split into two sections as his first four seasons he gained over 8,000 of his yards, while his last 4 season he never eclipsed 700 yards or 6 plus touchdowns.

3.  Steve Watson, WR

http://www.wtf2.puretecmo.com/main/player_hist.php?pID=306

Watson was selected in the 2nd round of the original WTF draft by the then Detroit Lions.  He was a 3 time Pro Bowler, 1 time All Pro, and 1986 Super Bowl champ with the New Orleans Saints.  Watson had a very consistent career as he had never had less than 800 receiving yards and 9 td's in a season.  He is third all time in WR td's with 133 and eclipsed the 20 touchdown mark 3 times in a season.  His career totals are 261 rec, 9,699 yards and averaged over 37 yards per catch.

4.  Vince Ferregamo, QB

http://www.wtf2.puretecmo.com/main/player_hist.php?pID=69

Vince Ferregamo was a 1st round pick in the inaugural draft by the Kansas City Chiefs.  He is a 2 Time Pro Bowler, 1 Time All Pro, 1982 Offensive MVP and 1982 Super Bowl Champ.  He is currently 2nd all time in Passer Rating at 126.1 and never had a season with lower than 108.  Ferregamo owns the 3rd best passer rating in a season, as well as 2nd best completion percentage in a season.  He is top 10 all time in passing yards and td's.  His touchdown to interceptions is an astounding 221 to 58.

Edited by BigFatPaulie

Walter Payton:

only non qb in wtf history to get mvp..

averaged over 1500 all purpose yards for 8 year career..

the perfect dual threat.. 

only part of 1 losing season..

easy nod for hof..

Steve Watson:

double digit tds every season more then half of the recs were tds.. 

7th all time in yards for a wr even though all 6 ahead of him played for more seasons..

nothing but production.. solid choice for hof..

Vince Ferragamo:

8 out of 9 seasons with 25 plus tds..

only 3 seasons with more then 10 ints.. 

although 8th all time passing yard wise.. every qb except one played more seasons.. 

another nod for the hof..

Franco Harris

2 time superbowl champ..

played above his attributes.. 

another close call for the hof.. id give him the nod as well.. 

great 1990 hof class!

Vince Ferregamo gets the lone vote here. All others no vote as of yet. Vince Ferregamo played some solid fucking ball.

1. Franco Harris: Once again he is not the top rb in this class in my opinion.I have to pass on Harris, but his 2 super bowl wins definitely makes it a difficult choice.

2. Walter Payton: This is a difficult decision because he was already up there in years when he was drafted but in his youth he was the best rb in wtf.  His 1st 4 years were incredible.  The swaying factor for me is his career leading ypc.  I vote yes.

3. Steve Watson: A model of consistency and his td numbers are astounding for a limited career.  I still am going to vote no and hope he makes the ballot again next year.

4. Vince Ferragamo: May not have elite level numbers, but won games and was efficient and consistent year after year.  He gets my vote.

Posted (edited)

Vote 1) Franco Harris - he had to wait a year due to Muncie being honored as only RB in inaugural class

Vote 2) Walter Payton - first RB to get the mythical leprechaun -esque 69Ms & he was able to hold onto it for a 2nd season too which is a lot Harder than getting it first time bc everyone is gunning to get those 1st place yrds & automatically known off the 69ms stardom zone. He was a beast! 

Vote 3) QB Vince F.

i didn’t  realize how nasty he was until looked at his stats ! His 126 rating is only up there w Elway & all of the other studs are in the 110-115 range. Vince has throw a lot of of TDs compared To ints!! The next wave of QBs (Marino, Kelly, Montana, Simms, elway) are more on mind as dominant right now bc Vince hasn’t been active for a couple Of seasons but he was legit! Add in a WTF bowl championship ring, 1982 MVP & dude was a beast! 

“Not quote yet” -

Steve Watson I really had no recollection of him, i don’t remember him playing.  I guess I didn’t go up ahaha t his teams enough but after looking at his stats I think he will get in just not first time on ballot.  I think of Freddie S of Pitt, Largent of minn/Buffalo  as the dominant guys from the initial era Think that’s my fault for not recognizing Watson’s greatness.  Next year. Or if gets the votes from other voters will hear no qualms.  

Edited by arncoem

Franco lead the Bills in both their WTF Bowl runs. He was a old fart w/ 44ms out of the gate but he played like the actual legend and has the unmatched superbowl glory even if he doesn't get in although he gets my vote again. 

Payton came into WTF aged as well but no rust bucket like Franco. Sweetness has demonstrated the consistency and production I need to see for a out of the gate 63ms RB to make the cut here. IN.

Ferragamo I would like to have wait one year but why really?.. I vote in. He was a beast that only got stronger then retired out of nowhere. I don't like to see cultivated studs get dealt after bringing home the bacon but a Chiefsjr to Kamp trade justifies it. He played well for Kamp in that final WTF season making a run at it. Who knows how things would have panned out should he have stayed put in KC for the duration though.

Watson gets punted this year

I think all 4 deserve to get in. Franco carried those 2 Bills Championship teams and then in his last year being the primary carrier, at 44ms, he rushed for 1998 yards. 

Watson and Ferragamo had uber productive careers highlighted with Super Bowl wins. Was Watson the one who caught the game winner in the 1986 Super Bowl in OT? If so, that's the kind of clutch that exemplifies a HOF career. 

Walter Payton's career was much like Earl Campbell IRL, about 4 years of total domination. Also a HOFer. 

Thanks for everyone's input and votes.  Final calculations are as follows:

Franco Harris: 3 votes

Walter Payton: 5 votes

Steve Watson: 1 vote

Vince Ferragamo: 6 votes

Congratulations to Walter Payton and Vince Ferregamo!

Thanks for putting this together BFP! I’ll put Payton & Ferragamo’s writeups on Phile in HOF section.