tecmobo

HSTL Season 45 Preview and Draft Grades - AFC West

CHIEFS

CHIEFS1

Best Pick - RAMS WRs at #25

Worst Pick - PHI LBs at #81

Outlook - Gats says he will only jj you if you jj him, or if he's in a desperate situation. That is because he's not ONLY going to jj you, he'll cc you as well. The PHI LB and DEN DB picks in round 3 and 4 were reaches caused by needing a patchwork defense to stop offenses one more time than DeBerg to Ellard and Co. scores. MIA RBs and CLE OL round out the ho-hum later picks. Doesn't matter, playing KC will make you pull your hair out. I look forward to the games streamed by Tadaos with live audio against this division rival.

Prediction: 11-5

BRONCOS

BRONCOS1

Best Pick - NYG LBs at #17

Worst Pick - NYG LBs at #17

Outlook - The NYG LB group is so tempting; I may have taken them at #18 if Randy didn't. With them, you're set against the run with stud LBs at the 1 and 4 spots, and 63int Reasons to defend against the pass (including some of the ridiculous passing games in this division). What could be better? But then the draft continues, the KC LBs go in Rd 2, and then it keeps going, and then the next LB group isn't picked until the 65th pick overall. Now you're scrambling to fill holes that other teams have already addressed, and the benefit of picking LBs ahead of others seems minimal. But I still probably would've picked them at #18 if they fell! Add to that the SF DL and that will be fun to watch offenses fly through the air, until Randy's offense takes the field and the CHI QBs give the game away.

Prediction: 8-8

RAIDERS

RAIDERS1

Best Pick - TIE - QB Browns at #10 and NYJ LBs at #66

Worst Pick - PHI DL at #122

Outlook - This team is my pick to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. That is if they can win the division/their shootouts with KC. QB Browns plus AC plus NYJ LBs is about as good as you can get for your first three picks. The PHI DL was a good value play in round 5, but it assured you the IND DBs. Usually an acceptable tradeoff when you have the NYJ LBs (I had QB Browns, NYJ LBs, and IND DBs a few seasons ago and it was workable), but with KC's passing attack that decision could come back to bite Tadaos.

Prediction: 11-5

CHARGERS

CHARGERS1

Best Pick - CHI OL at #120

Worst Pick - CHI RBs at #8

Outlook - When your best pick is in round 5, and your worst pick is in round 1, the season may not go so well. Taking CHI RBs over DET RBs is deciding that Muster is worth more than an extra notch of MS for your feature back AND a better 56ms WR in Gray vs. Bailey. RAI DBs in late 2nd is good, Elway in early 3rd is questionable and not much more to this team except for Bruce Smith. Elway plus SEA WRs will not scare anyone, so defenses will load up against the run. And when you have that perfect pass progression, Elway will say "Nope" and throw it to the other team. Eddie Anderson will struggle against the passing attacks in this division, so a 63int DB may have been better. Sorry I feel like I'm being mean in this review. Go Gamehigh prove me wrong!

Prediction: 4-12

SEAHAWKS

SEAHAWKS1

Best Pick - Deciding to come back before your 2nd pick

Worst Pick - Deciding to quit before your 2nd pick

Outlook - This was my favorite team during the draft. Not because of the picks, but because the psychological torture of this format was most evident on Rob and the Seahawks. Quitting before your second pick because of how the draft played out has to be a new record, but props for coming back and sticking with it. The result was actually a pretty well balanced team. Rams RBs and HOU WRs paired with Miller will be more than enough on offense, and Offerdahl plus Lippett is a solid set of defenders. The one knock is choosing tandems where the value is in multiple players TWICE, which means there will be some quality bench players that would've seen the field for most other teams. The trio of Gats/Tadaos/Randy is a tough one, so the Seahawks figure to finish 4th in the division.

Prediction: 6-10

Posted (edited)

Thanks @tecmobo!  Fair review of the Chargers roster IMO.  I definitely debated the CHI vs DET RBs tandems before making that pick.  I figured it was a matter of having 3 starters (+Muster) vs 2 with Detroit.  Plus, I'd rolled with Barry for a few seasons before and was looking to change things up.  I was also weary of another back-and-B season after having QB Bills slinging it around last season.  With all the WRs running around this division, I figured I would draft the fastest secondary available with the RAI.  Wasn't going to stop the JJ's or CC's anyway, but at least we won't get blown off the line of scrimmage.  As for Elway... let's just say I see a lot of scrambling this year.   

Finally, since when did this division get so brutal?  I feel like the last two seasons were a blood bath.  The AFC West used be a low-key fun, slacker division.  Now everyone just beats up on each other and sabotages wild-card playoff chances (not speaking for myself of course).  Welcome back @rmm1976

Edited by GameHigh

I definitely think CHI RBs is the better pick than the Lions. When manning up CHI RBs I tend to prefer throwing Neal at WR and using Johnny at RB (56ms is plenty good enough) and Muster is a fantastic TE for blocking and catching. Elway plus Johnny running and Neal Running routes is a potent Offense, esp with Muster and the CHI OL in the mix. Throw in Bruce and the Raiders DBs, I like this squad. 

This division had a few doppelgangers to some of the teams drafted in our CFT similar format, with only 15 owners and a salary cap (yep that Bruddog one). 

Our CHI team manned by Stu, a PNW tourney vet from the very first small Seattle tourney, has the CHI RBs, CHI OL, but has IND WRs and WAS DBs. 

Former HSTL vet and commish Foulfield aka Fairfensheeding went the same route as Gats, with QB Rams and Rams WRs (basically like Gats' Deberg to RAMS WRs, but Fairf took Fulcher and Co. and nothing else on D, and is stuck with the NE RBs. 

My team has the GIA LBs and I can't wait for them to unleash all kinds of holy hell (we will have conditions and injuries carrying over a la OG Rom console season), and I paired them with the RAI DL, similar to Randy's Broncos SF DL, GIA LB pairing. 

Tadaos' Raiders squad is similar to Sir TED's CFT squad, with QB Niners to AC, Hassan and Steve Jordan and Co., with a CHI DL (Townsend 44int playing the front 7 "DB" like Clifton for Tadaos) and a shitty set of DBs (Packers for Ted, INDY for Tadaos). And Ted has Leslie O'Neal to cause a ruckus in the kicking and running game as well, like Dennis Byrd can in HSTL 45. 

great right up i really like the team SD was able to build but elway is a true weakness.  everyteam in this div can be exposed in someway just like most the league but if i had to draft from these teams id take RAI all day

42 minutes ago, kamphuna8 said:

I definitely think CHI RBs is the better pick than the Lions. When manning up CHI RBs I tend to prefer throwing Neal at WR and using Johnny at RB (56ms is plenty good enough) and Muster is a fantastic TE for blocking and catching. Elway plus Johnny running and Neal Running routes is a potent Offense, esp with Muster and the CHI OL in the mix. Throw in Bruce and the Raiders DBs, I like this squad. 

This division had a few doppelgangers to some of the teams drafted in our CFT similar format, with only 15 owners and a salary cap (yep that Bruddog one). 

Our CHI team manned by Stu, a PNW tourney vet from the very first small Seattle tourney, has the CHI RBs, CHI OL, but has IND WRs and WAS DBs. 

Former HSTL vet and commish Foulfield aka Fairfensheeding went the same route as Gats, with QB Rams and Rams WRs (basically like Gats' Deberg to RAMS WRs, but Fairf took Fulcher and Co. and nothing else on D, and is stuck with the NE RBs. 

My team has the GIA LBs and I can't wait for them to unleash all kinds of holy hell (we will have conditions and injuries carrying over a la OG Rom console season), and I paired them with the RAI DL, similar to Randy's Broncos SF DL, GIA LB pairing. 

Tadaos' Raiders squad is similar to Sir TED's CFT squad, with QB Niners to AC, Hassan and Steve Jordan and Co., with a CHI DL (Townsend 44int playing the front 7 "DB" like Clifton for Tadaos) and a shitty set of DBs (Packers for Ted, INDY for Tadaos). And Ted has Leslie O'Neal to cause a ruckus in the kicking and running game as well, like Dennis Byrd can in HSTL 45. 

chi rbs def the better pick then det