Chicago, IL - 09/22/2018 - Tecmo Players Championship

Flo.  In the best of 3 each game is a new matchup.  

Joey no matter the people playing the same matchup rules I posted at the start apply.  Thoughtout the entire tournament you can only play in a match up one time.  Also the ban on matching the 4 top teams together and the bottom 3 teams together applies.

Thanks for your questions guys.

The reason I posted the 8 man format was just in case of an emergency.  I'm confident we will get 12 to 16 players.  But at the same time I want to reassure those that have signed up that this tournament will happen no matter what.

4 hours ago, mort1237 said:

Flo.  In the best of 3 each game is a new matchup.  

Joey no matter the people playing the same matchup rules I posted at the start apply.  Thoughtout the entire tournament you can only play in a match up one time.  Also the ban on matching the 4 top teams together and the bottom 3 teams together applies.

Thanks for your questions guys.

The reason I posted the 8 man format was just in case of an emergency.  I'm confident we will get 12 to 16 players.  But at the same time I want to reassure those that have signed up that this tournament will happen no matter what.

What's the top 4 teams and the bottom 3 that can't be put in a matchup together?

-SF

-HOU

-BUF

-GIA

Bottom

-SEA

-NE

-IND

????

As an example, does this mean I can still matchup the RAI against GIA and CLE against SEA?

Tom.  Just to clarify.  You can't do 

Sf vs bug or bug or hou or any combination with those 4 teams.

However sf vs rai or hou vs phi or bug KC or nyg vs Chicago and so on all work

Same rules with NE, IND, Sea.  You cannot match them together.  But like NE vs GB, sea vs cle and Ind vs no would be ok.

Nos I will do an area hotel search and post some of the results.  I got room for a couple guys to overnight at my apartment as well.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, toolie said:

Interested.  

What is the reason for the ban on those matchups?   Better add that quirk to the initial post.

He posted an explanation in a video. Makes things more tactical and provides opportunities for uncommon matchups apparently. 

Good question Toolie.   My basic answer is more games and more challenging games.  

Luck plays a roll in tecmo.  I feel the low and high end teams luck can mean as much if not more than ability.  I feel this happens more often with these matchups than in the rest of matchups. 

Also I'm hoping that by the semifinals or finals competitors will be out of there individual comfort zone as far as matchups goes.  Banning several matchups helps along with the restriction of once you play in a matchup you can't play in it again.

The cool thing is in the satellite I realized that this restriction can be used to save matchups.  Everyone advances.  So if you call a chi vs buf, phi vs hou, sea vs GB and so on.  You preserve matchups for the elimination rounds.  Since odds are the matchups against restricted teams will be less likely in elimination games. 

12 hours ago, trojan1979 said:

Rumor has it this weird guy is bringing his broadcast equipment to broadcast this event, and no I'm not talking about @kevincabarello, although he should go, and bring friends.

Image may contain: 1 person

Welcome aboard bro.  Glad to have you on board.  Also right now we have 8 official entrants with 4 more making sure this date is available.  In no time we will be at 12.

Prize structure for 12 players

1000 1st

500 2nd

150 3rd

150 winner of group play

With 14

1200 1st

600 2nd

150 3rd

150 winner of group play

With 16

1400 1st

700 2nd

150 3rd

150 winner of group play.

With 18

1500 1st

750 2nd

150 3rd

150 winner of group 1

150 winner of group 2

With 20

1600 1st

800 2nd

300 3rd

150 winner of group 1

150 winner of group 2

With 22

1750 1st

900 2nd

350 3rd

150 winner of group 1

150 winner of group 2

With 24

1900 1st

1000 2nd

400 3rd

150 winner of group 1

150 winner of group 2

Please note that is subject to change based on your opinion.  Feel free to post, email or text me.  Also I forgot with 18 or more we will have two groups and two prizes for group winner.  Also if we get 18 or more the top 9 players will be in group 1 and group 2 the rest of the field.

Edited by mort1237

Also is a third place prize important to you or would you rather see more go to the group winner.  Would like to get some opinions on this. 

I would prefer not to do a third place prize and do a larger prize for winning group.  I don't like doing a 3rd place prize without a 4th place prize.  Also I think putting a larger amount on group play winner will make things more interesting.

I like the idea of a third place prize more than a group play prize. Group play already matters for seeding, and could end up being the same person winning. Plus with a third place prize, even if you lose in semis, there will be a money game to play between the two people that lost in semis. I think it's more fun that way than being one game away from the finals and not having a chance to play a "money game" for anything.

13 hours ago, tecmobo said:

I like the idea of a third place prize more than a group play prize. Group play already matters for seeding, and could end up being the same person winning. Plus with a third place prize, even if you lose in semis, there will be a money game to play between the two people that lost in semis. I think it's more fun that way than being one game away from the finals and not having a chance to play a "money game" for anything.

I think getting $150/money back for 3rd or winning pool play isn't attractive enough.  It should be either $300 for 3rd or $300 for winning pool play.   Either one you go with will work.  I personally like it for winning pool play given the format of no repeat matchups.  Players that are performing better in pool play may burn some of their top matchups to go for the $300.  Even though seeding will play a part in the outcome, I fully expect to be in a best of 3 dog fight with whoever my opponent is in the playoffs given the quality of player this tournament attracts.  I also like the idea of of stackable winnings.   

5 hours ago, allamerican1569 said:

I think getting $150/money back for 3rd or winning pool play isn't attractive enough.  It should be either $300 for 3rd or $300 for winning pool play.   Either one you go with will work.  I personally like it for winning pool play given the format of no repeat matchups.  Players that are performing better in pool play may burn some of their top matchups to go for the $300.  Even though seeding will play a part in the outcome, I fully expect to be in a best of 3 dog fight with whoever my opponent is in the playoffs given the quality of player this tournament attracts.  I also like the idea of of stackable winnings.   

I’d have to agree with Bo and Tom. Third place should be the more attractive one for people, and realistically, the prize that has the better shot to attain for the general populous. I feel that the group play winner’s reward is top seeding, which gives a cleaner path to a Top 3 spot. Just my two cents. 

So far it looks like a 3rd place prize is more important.  The group play prize win is a novel ideal that has some good arguments against it.  What about 4th place in the following structure.  Based on recent conversations i have had i doubt we will have less than 14.  If we get 14 or more third and fourth can be payable.

Prize structure for 12 players

1000 1st

500 2nd

300 3rd

With 14

1100 1st

550 2nd

300 3rd

150 4th

With 16

1350 1st

600 2nd