Chicago, IL - 09/22/2018 - Tecmo Players Championship

20 hours ago, mort1237 said:

He told me no one else in Madison wanted to go.  I should have offered to be his DD

I think we need to make a SOPB Posse at Tundra Bowl, and let him have it.

15 hours ago, kevincabarello said:

Officially signed up, boys. What does last place get?

Meh, that prize is all mine son.  Honor and glory.

Update on equipment.  I just finished going over my equipment.  I have 8 systems, 8 carts about 20 good controllers.  Plus 2 more systems and carts at the bar.  Good news is with a surplus of nes original equipment all remake systems are now banned from this tournament.  

Feel free to bring your own controllers if you so desire.  Also if you want to bring a Nintendo as a backup I would appreciate it.  

We are good on televisions as well.  We will probably need 8 stations at the most and 4 televisions are already at the bar.

https://challonge.com/users/mort1237

14 man, 15 man and 16 man schedule are on my challonge page.  This is subject to change if more people join.  Still time for more than one last minute entry.  Spots open till 9:45 am.  

Prizes

With 14

1100 1st

550 2nd

300 3rd

150 4th

With 15

1250 1st

550 2nd

300 3rd

150 4th

With 16

1350 1st

600 2nd

300 3rd

150 4th

IMG_0806.thumb.jpg.8b0b1bce52881373b22508dd7e36e7fd.jpg

Stream 1:

Youtube.thumb.png.02372eb89176b7d5dc1133fce6c2a322.png

https://www.youtube.com/theretrosportsgamer

Stream 2:

1984979948_Twitch2.thumb.png.09496a002ed5514c6ec84981effc5aa1.png

http://www.twitch.tv/retrosportsgamertom

Round 1:

Stream 1 – Flo vs LuckyTool

Stream 2 – Mort vs Tecmobo

Round 2:

Stream 1 – RetroNate vs NOS

Stream 2 – Tecmo Psycho vs DPS

Round 3:

Stream 1 – JoeyGats vs Tecmo Psycho

Stream 2 – Retro Sports Gamer vs TroyGBLAN

Round 4:

Stream 1 – JoeyGats vs LuckyTool

Stream 2 – Green Majik vs DPS

Round 5:

Stream 1 – Flo vs Mort

Stream 2 – Kevin Cab vs TroyGBLAN

Round 6:

Stream 1 – JoeyGats vs Tecmobo

Stream 2 – Tecmo Psycho vs NOS

Round 7:

Stream 1 – Tecmo Psycho vs LuckyTool

Stream 2 – Green Majik vs Hank the Tank

Round 8:

Stream 1 – Mort vs JoeyGats

Stream 2 – Kevin Cab vs Flo

Round 9:

Stream 1 – JoeyGats vs Retro Sports Gamer

Stream 2 – Tecmo Psycho vs Tecmobo

Round 10:

Stream 1 – LuckyTool vs Tecmobo

Stream 2 – Joey Gats vs Flo

Round 11:

Stream 1 – Tecmo Psycho vs Mort

Stream 2 – Retro Sports Gamer vs Hank the Tank

Edited by allamerican1569

Anyone reading the challonge keep in mind it's 11 rounds.  Round 12 and 13 we don't have time for and have been declared ties. The below schedule will give you an ideal of when a certain game will be on give or take 20 mins. 

If your playing it is important we keep to this schedule so we are not finishing around 10 pm.

Rough schedule of games.

Round 1 10am-10:25

Round 2 10:25 to 10:50

Round 3 10:50 to 11:15

Round 4 11:15 to 11:40

Round 5 11:40 to 12:05

Break 12:05 to 12:40

Round 6 12:40 to 1:05

Round 7 1:05 to 1:30

Round 8 1:30 to 1:55

Round 9: 1:55 to 2:20

Round 10 2:20 to 2:45

Round 11 2:45 to 3:10

Sweet 16 3:30 to 4:30

Elite 8 4:30 to 5:30

Final 4 5:30 to 6:30

3rd place game 6:30 to 7:00

Finals 7 to 8

Big thanks to Mort, Tom S, Matt S, and Brian H for all their work, as well as Phil's staff at the venue for keeping us all fed and confidence laden via beverages.

It was a major highlight for me to play Toolie 3 times(and just hang out with), a person I've spoken with for literally dozens of hours in voice chat online, but had not yet met in person.  Meeting Ruble was also quite humbling(more on that later)

Knowing the competition in front of me, and my relative unproven status as a player, I knew this field would be quite the proving ground, just to come out with a winning record.  Having come out of it 6-5, I feel pretty good knowing that I'm not always a free win to these heavyweights.  Only twice in group play was I player 1, which is another hurdle that I don't have a lot of experience with.

I started out with an explosive back and forth game with NOS.  He was CLE, I was GB.  I opened the game with a pass 3 laser to Michael Haddix that went the distance.  A small handful of plays later, NOS returned the favor with a TD strike of his own.  As is typical in this match up, offense ruled the day.  Timed JJ's and QB scrambles extended multiple 4th down situations for both of us.  Fumbles and errant throw picks were the only defense in sight.  NOS won the toss in overtime, and ended up fumbling just past the 50 yard line.  After facing a 4th and 1 inside his 10, I was able to kick the winning FG.

Next up was Mort.  I must have caught him on a bad day.  He called MIA RAM, and I took MIA.  I went down and scored quickly with MIA, then forced a quick punt from Mort, then repeated with another TD.  Mort was able to eventually get some points on the board, but he was never able to get those big CC's or downfield JJ's when it mattered, short one, and the Rams couldn't stop a nosebleed against Marino and company.

Next up was Tom Stahnke, in what seemed to be a theme for the day, I played like total garbage while on the stream.  Perhaps it was a possessed cartridge, Brian's high pitched and loud commentary, or my complete failure as a player.(let's go with that), but I played 4(2 group, 2 playoff) games on that station, and all of them were absolute bed crappers for me.  Having just beat NOS and Mort, I was feeling confident the lesser known Tom would be someone I could play my game against.  He calls CIN PHI, and my lack of comfort with the Eagles becomes apparent(guess what I'll be practicing).  I throw a pick to a covered Keith Jackson by Bussey on my first pass, and it snowballed from there.  GG Tom.  He can ball.

Next is Flo, who I played in TB IV, and lost.  Flo was getting creative with his matchups(won a TB vs SF call, yes not kidding).  He calls WAS KC.  I squander a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter due to a called play overthrow pick with Deberg.  I manage to pull it out in overtime with a TD.  Flo's precision with Rypien, Sanders and an excellent Gary Clark was a joy to behold, just not to play against.  Flo was very nice to converse with during this contest.  Sober Flo is quite enjoyable to be around.  Not too many fbombs this time.

Next is Kevin Cabarello, who is always a wild card.  Again, the stream station, and again I played terribly.  He calls ATL NO, and I take NO, thinking my running attack and defense will carry me through.  Andre Rison has a big day, as does Rozier.  I'm 3-2 on the day.

Moving ahead I lose a tough game to Retro Nate in a DAL PIT match that was tight till the 4th quarter, he gets ahead by a 2nd score, and that's all she wrote.  Retro Nate can straight up ball.

I lose a heart breaker to Gats in the same ATL DAL matchup I beat him with at TB.  I have the ball with an Excellent Emmit Smith in Overtime, get called 2/3 plays and end up with a 4th and long on my own end.  I have to punt, and had success stopping him throughout the game.(Yes he got multiple TD's from Rison full field JJ).  He ended up getting the field goal to win it.

I took a close game with Hank in a CHI RAI matchup.  Neal Anderson and Johnny Bailey proved to be too much in the running game, and I was able to slow him down just enough.

DPS and I played a WAS MIN matchup.  This was uneventful, ended up finishing close as he had a late score, but I won 17-14.

Tecmo Psycho called MIA CIN, and I couldn't win a tap against him the entire day.  Before that game I played Hank, and my hands started cramping.  I wasn't able to tap as fast, not that it mattered, he tore me apart with Marino early.  I had a few big runs with Brooks on dive plays, not much else.  Ruble was in my mind, the most impressive opponent I faced the entire weekend.

Toolie and I play in the final regular season game, and he calls TB RAM.  I take Tampa, and we enter halftime 0-0, in a game filled with fumbles.  About 3 minutes left in the 4th he is driving deep, I guess a run 1 and he fumbles.  Jim Skow takes it the distance, runs off most of the 4th quarter in the process, and that's all she wrote.  14-7 thanks to the Tecmo gods.

Toolie would have his revenge in a 2-0 series win in the first round.  It was commentary and Sega after that for me.  Lots of shoulder shimmies, and general shenanigans and laughter ensued during all of it.

Everyone was super nice and the only negatives for me were my hands cramping, and some traffic to and from.  As an unknown, I was happy to at least finish group play against that field with a winning record.  Gats was the one who got away, and I'm not the only one who experienced something similar.

I did beat Mort at Eternal Champions, never having played it.  I think it took about 8 matches to take one from him.  No one took my $20 in Mortal Kombat 2.

It was nice having EA from the NHL94 community make an appearance and get some 94 games in.

Some of you are coming to Green Bay next month for our hardcore tournament, and I look forward to hanging out again.

Till then,

Trojan

Edited by trojan1979

It went so amazing that I am still in awe of how efficient you guys where at getting games in.  I plan to bring this back next year.  

Most likely sat Sept 14th

As I announced as long as things are going well I will put in 1000 to the prize pool. 

Entries will be 100 unless you won the players championship or madison 5-15.  For those few people entry will be 150.

A max of 24 so I can have it a dmen cause Phil was just so awesome hosting us.

I will make an official announcement this winter.

37 minutes ago, mort1237 said:

It went so amazing that I am still in awe of how efficient you guys where at getting games in.  I plan to bring this back next year.  

Most likely sat Sept 14th

As I announced as long as things are going well I will put in 1000 to the prize pool. 

Entries will be 100 unless you won the players championship or madison 5-15.  For those few people entry will be 150.

A max of 24 so I can have it a dmen cause Phil was just so awesome hosting us.

I will make an official announcement this winter.

Being that you guys run stuff there nearly every Monday, it's ready to go for your format at all times.  Being that everyone there was a tournament veteran and/or organizer, no babysitting was required to make sure games were played, and scores were recorded.

The one thought I had was it went a bit long at the very end, despite the early start.  I would suggest either shaving off one round of group play, and/or reducing the first round of the playoffs to a single game.  If more of the bracket matches went to 3 games, it could have gone even longer than it did.

Great job Mort.

• DFM unpinned this topic