Winning a SB with every team

_DEBERG

For years, this has been the ultimate challenge to me with every Tecmo game. I want to try and win a SB with every last team. 

These days I mostly stick to TSB 2, but I still play this one as well as TSB 3 a lot. I've had some ups and downs in my journeys with all the teams. 

IMO the beautiful thing about these old games is that every team is truly unique with their own playbook and style of play that it truly is a personal experience to use every team. It's why I like to do full seasons playing every single game of the week. Through doing that over the years, I've learned the teams inside and out through these games. 

This game has an advantage over TSB 2 and TSB 3 being that you don't have to worry about defensive injuries or really adjusting defense. Those games have advanced defense, so it makes learning the teams a lot different with the formations and backup players. 

Anyways, here's how my journey has went so far with all the teams. 

Bills - 1 try. This was easy, even with playing the Oilers in the playoffs. I drew Dallas in the SB and crushed them 31-14.

Colts - 1 try (extremely lucky and very frustrating. I could write in length how crazy this season was and the SB was easily the hardest one I've ever had vs the Cowboys). 

Dolphins - Not attempted yet

Patriots - Not attempted yet

Jets - 4 tries. I kept losing to Buffalo in the playoffs but when I finally did reach the SB I got to play the Eagles. The COM stupidly went pass happy with Cunningham and I won 21-7.

Bengals - Not attempted yet but I want to cause I know how bad David Klinger is. He alone will make this a challenge worthwhile. 

Browns - 5 tries. Ohhhh my god...this was the hardest one yet. It took 4 tries to even get them to the SB and then a heart breaking loss to the 49ers. I beat them in the SB the next season. 

Oilers - 2 tries. It's really difficult to maintain a good run game with Houston, but if you can do it, it makes the ride easier. 

Steelers - Not attempted yet

Broncos - Not attempted yet

Chiefs - Incomplete. Out of 3 tries, they either lose to Buffalo in the playoffs, or the one time i made the SB, they got crushed by the 49ers. 

Raiders - Not attempted yet

Chargers - Incomplete, 3 tries. I love this defense and I love Marion Butts, but I can't stand Stan Humphries. I always go with Friez and he isn't much better. 

Seahawks - Not attempted yet. This one will probably be the ultimate challenge though since their offense is so god awful. 

Cowboys - 1 try. Don't even have to go into details, since this is the best all around team in the whole game. I even went 15-1 with them.

Redskins - Incomplete, 3 tries. I've gotten them to the NFCCG twice where they lost to Dallas and the 49ers. Another time they got blown out to Green Bay in the divisional round.

Eagles - 3 tries and wow, this was quite a challenge. Had to face Dallas AND the 49ers in the playoffs before rolling a Dolphins team who posed no threat. 

Cardinals - Not attempted yet.

Giants - Not attempted yet

Bears - Not attempted yet.

Lions - Incomplete, 3 tries. It's taken me a lot of practice but I've figured out how to use their defense. NFC is brutal and usually is why they don't go far in the playoffs.

Packers - Incomplete, 3 tries. If it weren't for Favre and Reggie White, this would be one of the worst teams in the game. Try running the ball with them and you'll see what I mean.

Vikings - Not attempted yet.

Buccaneers - 2 tries. First time I lost in an upset to the Oilers in the SB. The second time, I beat the ever loving crap out of the Dolphins for my biggest SB blow out ever - 41-14 DeBerg MVP

49ers - 3 tries. This offense is so easy to score with but there are times when the defense is a problem. Needless to say, Dallas stopped me in the playoffs my first two tries. 

Rams - 2 tries. First time, lost the SB to Buffalo. Second try, I came back from a 14-3 deficit and mostly won due to Thurman Thomas getting injured and a fumble return for a TD. 

Saints - Incomplete. 4 tries. The most one dimensional good team in the whole game. The defense alone took me to the NFCCG and I always lose cause Wade Wilson is blah.

Falcons - Incomplete. 2 tries. I like the Falcons offense a lot in this game, but Dallas just destroys me in the playoffs. Maybe some day. 

• 2 weeks later...

That’s awesome man!! Me I switch back and forth during season to help teams win games then come playoffs I pick just teams I have not won with yet it’s so much fun!! Keep digging brother u will have every teams super bowl trophie yet!!

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2018 at 9:01 AM, BDN said:

That’s awesome man!! Me I switch back and forth during season to help teams win games then come playoffs I pick just teams I have not won with yet it’s so much fun!! Keep digging brother u will have every teams super bowl trophie yet!!

I play a season similar to that where I pick all the teams every week during the season, constantly switching them. I try to follow the winners in the real life 1992 season with my picks to try and see how close I can replicate the real results. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is good stuff!  I thought about doing this a while back.  I may have to try it.  I used to play with the Cardinals for some reason a lot back in the day and remember winning with them.  Try winning with that original playbook though!  I think I either won with the Pats on my first try or got to the Super Bowl.  Can't remember.

I'm surprised by the Saints.  It has been a long time since I played with them, but they get ranked pretty high because of that Defense alone. I can see where it can be a problem late in the season.

21 hours ago, Bad Moon Rison said:

This is good stuff!  I thought about doing this a while back.  I may have to try it.  I used to play with the Cardinals for some reason a lot back in the day and remember winning with them.  Try winning with that original playbook though!  I think I either won with the Pats on my first try or got to the Super Bowl.  Can't remember.

I'm surprised by the Saints.  It has been a long time since I played with them, but they get ranked pretty high because of that Defense alone. I can see where it can be a problem late in the season.

Thanks for the kind words! I always keep the original playbooks cause I feel if you change them, the teams become completely different. The teams with crappy playbooks like the Cardinals and Vikings make for a challenge and it made me start using teams differently. I love using Tampa Bay in these games cause despite being a trash team, their playbook helps and they can be a descent team off that. 

The Saints defense is amazing in all the Tecmo games. TSB 2 has their peak with the 1992 roster that had the full Dome Patrol and even in this game, they are a top 5 team just off defense alone. I can never get them to the SB though cause Wade Wilson is a terrible QB and as much as I loved Dalton Hilliard growing up, he was never the same after his knee injury and Tecmo accounts for his lack of speed after that.

The TSB 2 Saints are doomed for the same reason with having Bobby Hebert at QB (Hebert is surprisingly really good with the Falcons in 1993 and 1994 modes of TSB 2 but it may be because the Falcons offense is loaded with solid receivers and can rack up yardage and points) 

• 3 months later...

Winning the Super Bowl with every team isn't that tough. What I've been working on is having a perfect season with every team. The Colts, Patriots, Bengals and Bears are the only ones I haven't gotten there with. I change the playbooks though. I will start playing with just the original playbooks, I'm sure that will make it a far tougher challenge!

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, bill gates said:

Winning the Super Bowl with every team isn't that tough. What I've been working on is having a perfect season with every team. The Colts, Patriots, Bengals and Bears are the only ones I haven't gotten there with. I change the playbooks though. I will start playing with just the original playbooks, I'm sure that will make it a far tougher challenge!

And there's the reason why it ain't so tough for you. If every team in this game had the perfect play book, they wouldn't be a challenge to use. 

I never change playbooks for this reason. The teams lose a sense of their identity when you do that. The one team who's play book I hate the absolute most is the Cardinals, but I can't imagine playing as them without that bad playbook, cause then it wouldn't be as challenging. Learning how to successfully use their pass plays wasn't easy at all. 

On 1/23/2019 at 4:51 PM, _DEBERG said:

And there's the reason why it ain't so tough for you. If every team in this game had the perfect play book, they wouldn't be a challenge to use. 

I never change playbooks for this reason. The teams lose a sense of their identity when you do that. The one team who's play book I hate the absolute most is the Cardinals, but I can't imagine playing as them without that bad playbook, cause then it wouldn't be as challenging. Learning how to successfully use their pass plays wasn't easy at all. 

Deberg, lol, The Bucs are one my favorite teams to play with on this game, I love the Nickerson/Thomas combo on D, and the underdog feeling you get from playing with them. I agree, changing the playbook makes it a lot easier, I just get frustrated with the crappy playbooks of some teams. I have been playing with original playbooks since reading your post, and it is much more difficult. I've gone undefeated with the usual suspects, and won the SB w/o going undefeated with a few others. But once I get past the top 10-12 teams, it is very difficult.

What about lineups? Do you change them to get guys who are in bad condition out and guys who are in excellent condition in?

Edited by bill gates

On 1/25/2019 at 12:32 AM, bill gates said:

Deberg, lol, The Bucs are one my favorite teams to play with on this game, I love the Nickerson/Thomas combo on D, and the underdog feeling you get from playing with them. I agree, changing the playbook makes it a lot easier, I just get frustrated with the crappy playbooks of some teams. I have been playing with original playbooks since reading your post, and it is much more difficult. I've gone undefeated with the usual suspects, and won the SB w/o going undefeated with a few others. But once I get past the top 10-12 teams, it is very difficult.

What about lineups? Do you change them to get guys who are in bad condition out and guys who are in excellent condition in?

The Bucs are one of my favorite teams too. Winning a SB with them was the most satisfying season I ever ran with Tecmo even though the SB win was an easy blowout. I mainly play TSB 2 and they have one of the best playbooks in that game throughout all 3 seasons. You can get around the struggles of the offense by utilizing their playbook effectively. I'd rank their playbook up in the top 5 with only Dallas, Buffalo and SF above them. 

I do make adjustments on the lineups for most teams. I usually take out my starters in the 4th quarter if the game is out of reach and then let the backups finish the game. I've had so many instances of bad luck with losing a key player by trying to run up scores and pad stats. 

In TSB 2 and 3, I usually make several adjustments on defense depending on the team that I am using. Because those games have advanced defensive schemes, you can pull some tricks with putting in backups and running the Nickel or Dime depending on how strong a defensive line is. You are best to really go through every backup on defense in those games, cause there are some gems hidden on there (San Diego has Chris Mims as a backup in TSB 2 1992 season).