Mike Gordan

NFL 2018-2019 Season Discussion

Let's talk Clinching scenarios now that every team has had at least one bye so far this week:

So far, the Saints, Rams, and Chiefs are the only three teams that can clinch a playoff berth at this point in time.  The Saints and Rams playoff clinching scenarios are pretty simple; the Saints need a win plus a Panthers loss in order to clinch the South.  The Rams need either a win or a Seahawks loss this weekend.

The Chiefs are a bit complicated, especially since they can only merely clinch a playoff berth this week.  They would need a win, losses from the Texans, Colts, Dolphins, and either the Titans; Chargers and Ravens; or Ravens and Bengals.

Additionally, up to six teams this weekend face potential elimination this weekend, with three very likely to occur.  A loss from the Raiders, Cardinals, and/or 49ers would automatically eliminate each of them.  The Raiders would also face elimination if the Chargers win alongside either the Ravens or Colts.  The Cardinals and 49ers share the burden of elimination with additional wins for the Panthers or Vikings (the 49ers losing would also give the Seahawks a win, which would contribute to the Cardinals getting eliminated).

The three teams that need a lot to work against them this weekend to get them eliminated, on the other hand, are the Giants, Jaguars, and Jets.  In addition to losing, they need several other teams to come out and win as well to eliminate said teams.  The Cowboys (for the division), Eagles, and Vikings, and Panthers would automatically eliminate the Giants alongside an additional loss; while the Jaguars and Jets would be eliminated with some additional assistance from the Ravens, Colts, and Titans.  Interestingly enough, it is impossible for these three teams to be officially eliminated at the same time the Saints and Chiefs clinch the division and playoff berth respectively.  So we would either have three teams make the playoffs with three teams eliminated, or we'd have up to six teams eliminated with two teams making the playoffs (the Saints won't officially win their division, but they'd at least clinch a playoff berth).

Now for some bonus rounds!  Is there any way for the bottom six in the NFL to clinch a playoff berth?  Why, yes!  But only as the sixth seed!

The Raiders can make the playoffs by winning out, as well as the following:

1.  The Ravens and Colts lose out (6-10 each).

2.  The Titans lose out except during the season finale against the Colts (6-10).

3.  The Bengals and Broncos lose twice more in addition to the head-to-head tie-breaker (7-9 each).

4.  Miami loses out but one game, splitting with the Bills (6-10).

5.  The Browns beat the Ravens plus one more team, only to lose out (6-9-1).

6.  Bills beat the Lions, split with the Dolphins, and lose to the Jets and Patriots (6-10).

7.  Jaguars beat the Colts, Titans and Dolphins, but lose to everyone else (6-10).

8.  Jets beat the Titans and Bills, only to lose out (5-11). 

For the Cardinals and 49ers, their objectives overlap; the only difference is that the 49ers are going to need the Cardinals to lose one more game in order for them to make the playoffs, whereas the Cardinals don't need to worry about the 49ers winning out.  As such, as both Wild Card spots are wide open, I am going to assume that they both make it in.  Are you ready for some crazy playoff bracketing?  Here is goes:

1.  As the Eagles still need to play the Redskins twice as well as the Cowboys, they get to win the NFC East (8-8; 10-6--the other two games are against the Rams and Texans).

2.  Panthers, Cowboys, and Redskins lose out (6-10 each).

3.  Vikings lose out (6-9-1).

4.  Seahawks lose all but the Viking game--the Cardinals and 49ers would then own the tie-breaker over the Seahawks based off of divisional record and division sweep respectively (7-9).

5.  Packers lose to the Cardinals, Falcons, and Lions (6-9-1).

6.  Lions lose to the Cardinals, and either the Rams or Bills (7-9)--as the Cardinals and 49ers would have both beaten the Lions, the Lions would lose to both teams in the tie-breakers.

7.  Buccaneers beat Panthers and Cowboys, but loses to the Saints and Ravens, and ties with the Falcons (6-9-1).

8.  The Falcons beat the Packers and Panthers, but loses to the Ravens and Cardinals, and ties with the Buccaneers (6-9-1).

9.  The Giants beat the Redskins and Cowboys, but lose to everyone else (5-11).

And there you go.  You got the scenarios in which either the Cardinals or 49ers could each the playoffs, if not the both of them.

Now, I could do the Giants, Jaguars and Jets, but I'm going to set it aside for the time being.  Because there's simply no way the Raiders, Cardinals, or 49ers are going to make the playoffs this year.

7 hours ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd Hunt's no longer a Chief. Good grief, can't we have one damn good season without things going to shit?😕

Spencer Ware can get the job done.. remember the Eagles lost their star about this time last season ;)

spencer-ware.gif.ace32d2fb2e8e62ef690ca2

Tyrek+hunt.  Kc chiefs abuse squad! Hopefully berry is 100 in game by playoffs . most missed tackles in the NFL.

Edited by AZcards77

12 hours ago, gojiphen malor said:

Spencer Ware can get the job done.. remember the Eagles lost their star about this time last season ;)

If you mean Wentz, he went down to injury, not getting railroaded by TMZ and whoever sent TMZ that video.

I actually think it would be cool if the Cowboys rampaged through the whole playoffs.

On 11/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, Bolt said:

That Cowboys team looks ready to sock some teams in the mouth.

That D

+

EWOK

giphy.gifELL289284.png

THIS squadron is Bolo-ALL-IN'

Randy Gregory the next Leon Lett, anyone?

giphy.gif

^ Watch NFL Network pick this up.

They always thief from the Bolt archives, without offering he a job

12 minutes ago, AZcards77 said:

Its been a long Season!

downloadfile.gif

1st WIN @ Green Bay since they were the Chicago Cardinals, back in 1949!!!

0-9 since then...  UNTIL NOW!

Mike McCarthy no longer has a job (good), but Marvin Lewis still has one (bad). Marvin Lewis must have some Jerry Sandusky-level sized dirt on Mike Brown, because there is no universe where his continued employment as the Bungles HC still makes sense.

9 hours ago, Yak said:

Mike McCarthy no longer has a job (good), but Marvin Lewis still has one (bad). Marvin Lewis must have some Jerry Sandusky-level sized dirt on Mike Brown, because there is no universe where his continued employment as the Bungles HC still makes sense.

I don't know man the Bengals went 11 years in a row .500 or worse before Lewis came along. You look down the road at the Cleveland and see how much worse it could be

You could potentially cut down on some of the domestic violence in the league by adding having to listen to Booger McFarland as part of the NFL mandated punishment

Okay, so I lost all of my data last night because my computer ran out of batteries.  Kind of a restless couple of nights I've had, surprisingly enough.  Luckily, the system I've been running with for a while now has given me a huge leg up in playing catch-up, so my Weekly Pick 'ems should still be good to go.  Strangely enough, I faintly remembered the Power Rankings that I had all of my teams on last night, and thus was able to recreate a Week 14 Power Rankings that I think I should be feeling rather proud of.  The only problem is, my data is going to come across as a little raw as a result.  As such, the Power Rankings are based more on how I feel each team has been playing in recent weeks, as well as based off of off-the-field issues going on.  So with that said, here are my Power Rankings:

32.  Oakland Raiders (2-10):  With the Arizona Cardinals getting the win, the Raiders are now back at the bottom of the NFL Power Rankings.  Yes, even though they played the Chiefs tough in a high-scoring affair, but I'll get to the Chiefs when I get to them.  I'd say that the Raiders are at least playing better football right now than the 49ers in spite of the record.  I projected the Raiders to go anywhere from 2-14 to 3-13 a couple weeks ago, and frankly, I think that assessment still holds up for the time being.

31.  San Francisco 49ers (2-10):  In stark contrast, the 49ers have been playing some of the most bloody uninspired football you can possibly imagine.  Then again, my assessment on the Seahawks being the Survival Pick of the week was as spot on as they came.  So even though they embarrassed the Raiders, both teams are pretty much interchangeable at this time.  At least the 49ers are in the driver's seat for the top pick in the draft.

30.  Arizona Cardinals (3-9):  Just because the Cardinals pulled away with a massive upset doesn't mean anything.  The Cardinals are still comparatively bad to the Raiders and 49ers.  But at least they got Win #3, so I suppose you could say the Cardinals are now slightly better than the Raiders and 49ers as of right now.  But that's kind of like me saying that it'd be better to contract Herpes than Syphilis.

29.  New York Jets (3-9):  Basically the fourth team in what is now essentially the bottom feeders of the NFL.  Injured or not, the Jets have basically considered this season a lost season, and decided to bench rookie Sam Darnold for the year.  As a result, the offense has begun to produce somewhat better than it has been in the past thanks to backup journeyman and third oldest starting QB in the league Josh McCown.

28.  Green Bay Packers (4-7-1):  Even though there are several teams that one could argue are still worse than the Packers, right now, that is simply not the case.  They have lost three in a row; and following a 3-2-1 start, they have since gone 1-5!  They have lost every single solitary road game so far this season.  And to make things worse, they lost at home.  In a cold weather team.  To the Arizona Cardinals!  That proved to be the final straw as coach Mike McCarthy was fired after 13 seasons--10 of which provided some rather consistent success, as his teams behind Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers transformed into consistent Super Bowl contenders.  And aside from a single championship, they've otherwise completely wasted Aaron Rodger's career up to this point in time (to put it into context, Peyton Manning at least won 2 championships in four tries--Aaron Rodgers is lucky to have actually won in his only appearance to date, and had otherwise not gone the way of Dan Marino).  Honestly, there's no longer a reason to believe this team can actually get it done at this point in time.

27.  Jacksonville Jaguars (4-8):  The Jaguars finally got a win in on what is already a lost season.  All it took was the benching of QB Blake Bortles--his career with Jacksonville appearing to be finished--and the offense playing conservative to win by the measly score of 6-0--both points coming at the hands of field goals.  I somehow doubt the Jaguars can make a comeback, but then again, we've seen stranger things.

26.  Cincinnati Bengals (5-7):  QB Andy Dalton, and WR's Tyler Boyd and AJ Green are all injured, with the former for certain out for the year.  Their defense, meanwhile, has been an absolute dumpster fire all season long (with the exception of a few lucky breaks here and there), and their offense since the AJ Green injury hasn't been much better.  They can now statistically be compared to the likes of the Cardinals, Raiders, 49ers, and Jets for worst team in the league, only with a small cushion on all of these teams.

25.  Atlanta Falcons (4-8):  If there's one team that appears to have given up, it's probably the Atlanta Falcons.  I have no idea why I continue to give this team chances, or the benefit of the doubt.  But with no defense, the Falcons should be expected to outscore everybody at will.  Alas, not only are they constantly getting outscored, but it doesn't even look like they're even trying to put points on the board anymore.  It doesn't help the Falcons' offense has been problematic ever since Kyle Shanahan was hired to be head coach of the 49ers.  And now the writing is on the wall.  Honestly, I think the only advantage I'd give to this team over the Packers--outside the fact that this team appears to have Green Bay's number as of late--is the fact that they didn't fire their head coach (yet).

24.  Detroit Lions (4-8):  The next couple teams were somewhat difficult to piece together and to rank them properly, but here's what I'm seeing.  I'm seeing a team devoid of actual talent and help for Matthew Stafford giving it their all against significantly better teams, and 9 times out of 10, they ultimately are proven to be outmatched.  So the way I see it, the Lions play tough, but ultimately, aren't good enough to warrant much desirable results.  Really, of all the 4-win teams, the Lions are the only ones that simply don't have an explanation or an excuse to justify how they could have been much better than their record would indicate.

23.  Buffalo Bills (4-8):  Similarly to the Lions, the Bills simply don't have the talent necessary to win big games.  Though the difference is, the problems mostly come from a horrendous offensive line and very little to no help at wide receiver.  That, and a rookie QB that remains to be seen if he can actually make it.  Admittedly, this 4-8 record probably isn't as bad as one would think when you realize that Josh Allen actually missed at least a month's worth of games, and three of their four wins came when Josh Allen was the starting QB.

22.  Cleveland Browns (4-7-1):  Now the question becomes whether or not this team could have been much better than their record indicates had they had Greg Williams as their head coach instead of Hue Jackson.  Seriously, the Browns are slowly developing a winning culture, as well as real team leadership for a change.  Rookie QB Baker Mayfield is providing an air of confidence and swagger to this team.  All of these so-called experts are already beginning to compare him to all these other non-bust failures in the NFL due to his attitude, when really, Baker Mayfield is probably more comparable attitude-wise to Cam Newton.  Or if we're going to compare him to a Hall of Fame Quarterback, how about Joe Nameth?  It remains to be seen where the Browns will be heading into next season.  But they better consider upgrading Gregg Williams from an interim position (and yes, I know the guy was notorious for Bounty Gate--the team is in desperate need for toughening up, so sue me).

21.  New York Giants (4-8):  In stark contrast, the Giants are steadily bouncing back from an abysmal 1-7 start on their season to win three of their last four.  Including a big one over the Bears.  Honestly, a lack of offensive discipline as well as a rookie coaching staff are pretty much the reason why the Giants were so bad for so long.  Will this become a Tale of Two Halves with the Giants?  Who can say?  But the biggest contributor to this massive turnaround is rookie RB Saquon Barkley, who is currently edging out Broncos RB Philip Lindsay for Offensive Rookie of the Year in a neck-and-neck race.

20.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-7):  Turnovers, turnovers, and turnovers were the reason why the Buccaneers have been so bad following their 2-0 start.  That and every kicker that plays for them in the league have since blown up in their face.  Especially since the Buccaneers lead the league in total offense by a sizeable margin.  Their defense is also starting to figure a few things out as well.  My worry with the Bucs though is that they may start to think that Jameis Winston will still be their man, and will attempt to keep him on board.  And head coach Kirk Koetter would still be a good fit.  Honestly, the two have been here since 2015 and 2016 respectively, and they only have 1 winning season in 2016 and no playoff appearance to show for it.  To think we now live in a world where the Buccaneers can actually be considered better than Green Bay or Atlanta.

19.  Miami Dolphins (6-6):  And here is where we begin to enter the conversation of who the Playoff contenders are going to be.  Honestly, even taking into accounts the last couple weeks, the Miami Dolphins are the team that has impressed me the least by far.  Do keep in mind that they started the season off 3-0 before losing to the Patriots.  And ever since then, the Dolphins have been rather stagnant at around .500.  While I do not remember every team's remaining schedule, I definitely do remember the fact that they now get to host the Patriots this week.  If this team can take care of business against the Patriots at home, and at least delay crowning them division champions for at least another week (and possibly even costing them homefield advantage), then maybe I'll consider rating them a little higher.

18.  Washington Redskins (6-6):  Honestly, with the decline of RB Adrien Peterson and the presumed end of QB Alex Smith's career (as well as little to no receivers to help his replacement QB's), it is tempting to rate the Washington Redskins even lower.  But frankly, it simply doesn't sit well for me to rate a team that is up two whole games behind teams like the Lions, Bills, and Giants.  Even so, I think this defense is good enough to match up well with all the other teams ranked below them.  If anything, I believe that the Giants and the Buccaneers probably would match up better than anybody else below this point, and that's assuming their offenses play mistake-free.  Other than that, I would still lean more towards the Redskins over everybody else here.

17.  Carolina Panthers (6-6):  A team I once considered a bonafide Super Bowl contender, with my own personal League MVP in Cam Newton, is now on a 4-game losing streak.  From 6-2 to now behind several other teams in the NFC Wild Card hunt.  Even without having played the Saints yet, they are all but effectively eliminated from competing for a division title now (they would need to win out, and then hope for the Saints to suffer a 5-game collapse for that to become a possibility).  Honestly, had they beaten the Seahawks, I probably would have considered rating them a bit higher than this.  As well as the Bucs.  And whoever else they played after that infamous Steelers game.

16.  Tennessee Titans (6-6):  This Tennessee Titans team is so unpredictable, so unreliable, that they even looked like they were going to get blown out by the lowly Jets.  They kept it close, but they did bounce back against a significantly inferior team.  But this is why I am rating the Titans dead center on my Power Rankings.  Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

15.  Philadelphia Eagles (6-6):  Up until tonight, I basically put the Redskins and Eagles at numbers 16 and 17.  I considered doing my Power Rankings a little earlier, but chose not to because I figured whoever won was going to get a slight upgrade while the loser would drop a couple spots (depending on the outcome of said game).  The Eagles won, and I ended up moving them up and down a spot each.  And the rest is history.  Now to see if the Eagles can turn this season around and win out for a chance to earn a playoff spot.

14.  Denver Broncos (6-6):  I already talked about Philip Lindsay being a potential Offensive Rookie of the Year candidate opposite Saquon Barkley.  But for once, I am now feeling pretty satisfied with the Broncos.  The only downside to the Broncos winning out is that it helps the Patriots in clinching homefield advantage.  Even so, the Broncos still need some help.  The Titans, Colts, Dolphins, and the loser of the Chargers vs. Steelers game all need to lose quite a few games in order to help boost the Broncos' chances of making the playoffs.  Luckily, the Steelers have two brutal games coming up, and all the Broncos need from the Titans, Colts, and Dolphins are one loss apiece.  Even then, they will need to win out if there's going to be any hope of a playoff berth for the Broncos.

13.  Indianapolis Colts (6-6):  Losing the way that they did to the Jaguars pretty much resulted in a drop in my Power Rankings.  Especially hurting is the TY Hilton injury.  He is by far their best playmaker and is essentially responsible for the Colts now dead 5-game winning streak.  Worth noting they were previously 1-5, with Hilton missing many of those 5 losses.  We'll see if this team will be able to bounce back though.

12.  Minnesota Vikings (6-5-1):  We knew the Vikings remaining schedule wasn't going to be easy.  Now they have to travel to Seattle, and they get to host the Chicago Bears at home.  The Vikings hope they can win out.  Because if they do, a playoff spot will be locked in place for them.  Heck, even a Division title is still in play since the Bears had lost to the Giants.

11.  Pittsburgh Steelers (7-4-1):  If you think that's rough, the Steelers have lost their last two, and they still have to play the Patriots and Saints.  Considering the fact that the Saints look like they're lightyears ahead of the Steelers, and they haven't been able to beat the Patriots since 2008--heck, Ben Roethlisberger is literally the only holdover from the very last time the Steelers had beaten Tom Brady all the way back in 2005.  Ever since then, the Steelers have always, ALWAYS lost to the Patriots.

10.  Baltimore Ravens (7-5):  I originally thought about rating them at number 9 based on strength of schedule, but ultimately, I decided to rate them based off of where I think they belong.  The Ravens are definitely one of the best defenses in the league right now.  And from the transition from Joe Flacco to rookie Lamar Jackson, the team has turned from a pass-first mentality to a run-first offense, dominating the line of scrimmage.  Unfortunately, I do not see much long-term success with this line of thinking in mind.  And to prove it to you guys, Lamar Jackson missed a series or two due to injury before getting cleared to play again, and RGIII ended up taking over in his place.  And how ironic that must be to be reminded of how RGIII's career went with a similar approach as well as a similar style of play as him.  Heck, Lamar Jackson isn't a particularly big guy, just like RGIII!  Right now, I do think the Ravens are a tad bit better than the Steelers.  But as far as playoffs go, I do not see this team making much noise should they actually get there.  Just a hunch.

9.  Seattle Seahawks (7-5):  Following a 4-5 start, the Seahawks have racked up some big wins over the Packers and Panthers.  And they showed that they were definitely a much better team than the 49ers.  This change in direction came with a reorganizing of the offensive line, and a restructuring of both the offense and defense.  The Seahawks have adapted very nicely following the end of the Legion of Boom.  I was more cautiously optimistic about this team heading into the preseason, and unfortunately for me (since I have no love for this team), said optimism has since been rewarded.  What more is that all of these changes actually came into fruition following an ugly 0-2 start.  Since then, their other three losses came at the hands of two LA bound teams (the Chargers plus the Rams twice).

8.  Dallas Cowboys (7-5):  That Amari Cooper trade they made with Oakland (combined with the injury of Alex Smith in Washington) have benefited the Cowboys tremendously.  Combined with one of the best defenses in the league and one of the best running backs in Ezekiel Elliot, the Cowboys are now on a 3-game winning streak that includes a Thursday Night home upset over the Saints.  One more win against the Eagles will put them in the driver's seat to all but win the NFC East.

7.  Chicago Bears (8-4):  Admittedly, the Bears did lose to the Giants.  But it was on the road, and their QB, Mitch Trubisky, was still injured.  At that moment, I probably should have read the tea leaves and predicted a Giant upset here, but for whatever reason, I never did.  So really, the Bears were playing with a handicap.  If Trubisky is healthy enough during the final home stretch, this team will easily clinch at least 10 wins and make the playoffs.  There really aren't too many scenarios where they don't make the playoffs just shy of an epic collapse, either.

6.  LA Chargers (9-3):  I'm going to hold off ranking the Chargers in the top 5 for the time being, even though they probably should be considered as such.  A good portion of their success last night came from the Steeler choking and then self-destructing.  But really, the Chargers were admirable in their own right, and they most likely would have won had they got the ball in Overtime anyways.  This team as a whole is going to be very difficult to defeat.  Saying that as a fan happy to witness my Broncos pull away with a massive upset a couple weeks ago.  Go figure.

5.  Kansas City Chiefs (10-2):  Spending pretty much the entire season in the top three, now all of a sudden, I'm docking them a couple spots in spite of a win?  Well, their defense did allow the Raiders to score at will against them.  So yeah!  That's a big dumpster fire right there.  All it takes really is for a defense to contain Patrick Mahomes, and it doesn't matter how good that offense is going to be on paper.  This is pretty much the reason why they are no longer in the top three....No, seriously!  That's all you need to know!  I'm moving on now....bye....Otherwise, a win plus either a Steelers or Ravens loss will clinch a playoff berth.  Now, good night everybody!

4.  Houston Texans (9-3):  If only the Texans didn't start 0-3--with one of those losses coming against the Patriots.  Then, I would have considered placing the Texans at number 3 on my Power Rankings.  Really, in a vacuum, I do believe the Texans would beat the Patriots as they are now.  But in Foxborough in January, good luck.  Speaking of which, a win next week against the Colts clinches the division!

3.  New England Patriots (9-3):  Another case of win next week, and you clinch the division.  That's all I have to say about that!

2.  New Orleans Saints (10-2):  Looks like the Saints need to wait to clinch their division until next week.  A win and/or a Panthers loss will clinch it for them.  All before they even get to play the Panthers!  Seriously, who comes up with these schedules, anyways?

1.  Los Angeles Rams (11-1):  Division Champs!  *smooching hand*  Good night, everybody!

On 12/4/2018 at 3:12 AM, Mike Gordan said:

Okay, so I lost all of my data last night because my computer ran out of batteries.  Kind of a restless couple of nights I've had, surprisingly enough.  Luckily, the system I've been running with for a while now has given me a huge leg up in playing catch-up, so my Weekly Pick 'ems should still be good to go.  Strangely enough, I faintly remembered the Power Rankings that I had all of my teams on last night, and thus was able to recreate a Week 14 Power Rankings that I think I should be feeling rather proud of.  The only problem is, my data is going to come across as a little raw as a result.  As such, the Power Rankings are based more on how I feel each team has been playing in recent weeks, as well as based off of off-the-field issues going on.  So with that said, here are my Power Rankings:

32.  Oakland Raiders (2-10):  With the Arizona Cardinals getting the win, the Raiders are now back at the bottom of the NFL Power Rankings.  Yes, even though they played the Chiefs tough in a high-scoring affair, but I'll get to the Chiefs when I get to them.  I'd say that the Raiders are at least playing better football right now than the 49ers in spite of the record.  I projected the Raiders to go anywhere from 2-14 to 3-13 a couple weeks ago, and frankly, I think that assessment still holds up for the time being.

31.  San Francisco 49ers (2-10):  In stark contrast, the 49ers have been playing some of the most bloody uninspired football you can possibly imagine.  Then again, my assessment on the Seahawks being the Survival Pick of the week was as spot on as they came.  So even though they embarrassed the Raiders, both teams are pretty much interchangeable at this time.  At least the 49ers are in the driver's seat for the top pick in the draft.

30.  Arizona Cardinals (3-9):  Just because the Cardinals pulled away with a massive upset doesn't mean anything.  The Cardinals are still comparatively bad to the Raiders and 49ers.  But at least they got Win #3, so I suppose you could say the Cardinals are now slightly better than the Raiders and 49ers as of right now.  But that's kind of like me saying that it'd be better to contract Herpes than Syphilis.

29.  New York Jets (3-9):  Basically the fourth team in what is now essentially the bottom feeders of the NFL.  Injured or not, the Jets have basically considered this season a lost season, and decided to bench rookie Sam Darnold for the year.  As a result, the offense has begun to produce somewhat better than it has been in the past thanks to backup journeyman and third oldest starting QB in the league Josh McCown.

28.  Green Bay Packers (4-7-1):  Even though there are several teams that one could argue are still worse than the Packers, right now, that is simply not the case.  They have lost three in a row; and following a 3-2-1 start, they have since gone 1-5!  They have lost every single solitary road game so far this season.  And to make things worse, they lost at home.  In a cold weather team.  To the Arizona Cardinals!  That proved to be the final straw as coach Mike McCarthy was fired after 13 seasons--10 of which provided some rather consistent success, as his teams behind Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers transformed into consistent Super Bowl contenders.  And aside from a single championship, they've otherwise completely wasted Aaron Rodger's career up to this point in time (to put it into context, Peyton Manning at least won 2 championships in four tries--Aaron Rodgers is lucky to have actually won in his only appearance to date, and had otherwise not gone the way of Dan Marino).  Honestly, there's no longer a reason to believe this team can actually get it done at this point in time.

27.  Jacksonville Jaguars (4-8):  The Jaguars finally got a win in on what is already a lost season.  All it took was the benching of QB Blake Bortles--his career with Jacksonville appearing to be finished--and the offense playing conservative to win by the measly score of 6-0--both points coming at the hands of field goals.  I somehow doubt the Jaguars can make a comeback, but then again, we've seen stranger things.

26.  Cincinnati Bengals (5-7):  QB Andy Dalton, and WR's Tyler Boyd and AJ Green are all injured, with the former for certain out for the year.  Their defense, meanwhile, has been an absolute dumpster fire all season long (with the exception of a few lucky breaks here and there), and their offense since the AJ Green injury hasn't been much better.  They can now statistically be compared to the likes of the Cardinals, Raiders, 49ers, and Jets for worst team in the league, only with a small cushion on all of these teams.

25.  Atlanta Falcons (4-8):  If there's one team that appears to have given up, it's probably the Atlanta Falcons.  I have no idea why I continue to give this team chances, or the benefit of the doubt.  But with no defense, the Falcons should be expected to outscore everybody at will.  Alas, not only are they constantly getting outscored, but it doesn't even look like they're even trying to put points on the board anymore.  It doesn't help the Falcons' offense has been problematic ever since Kyle Shanahan was hired to be head coach of the 49ers.  And now the writing is on the wall.  Honestly, I think the only advantage I'd give to this team over the Packers--outside the fact that this team appears to have Green Bay's number as of late--is the fact that they didn't fire their head coach (yet).

24.  Detroit Lions (4-8):  The next couple teams were somewhat difficult to piece together and to rank them properly, but here's what I'm seeing.  I'm seeing a team devoid of actual talent and help for Matthew Stafford giving it their all against significantly better teams, and 9 times out of 10, they ultimately are proven to be outmatched.  So the way I see it, the Lions play tough, but ultimately, aren't good enough to warrant much desirable results.  Really, of all the 4-win teams, the Lions are the only ones that simply don't have an explanation or an excuse to justify how they could have been much better than their record would indicate.

23.  Buffalo Bills (4-8):  Similarly to the Lions, the Bills simply don't have the talent necessary to win big games.  Though the difference is, the problems mostly come from a horrendous offensive line and very little to no help at wide receiver.  That, and a rookie QB that remains to be seen if he can actually make it.  Admittedly, this 4-8 record probably isn't as bad as one would think when you realize that Josh Allen actually missed at least a month's worth of games, and three of their four wins came when Josh Allen was the starting QB.

22.  Cleveland Browns (4-7-1):  Now the question becomes whether or not this team could have been much better than their record indicates had they had Greg Williams as their head coach instead of Hue Jackson.  Seriously, the Browns are slowly developing a winning culture, as well as real team leadership for a change.  Rookie QB Baker Mayfield is providing an air of confidence and swagger to this team.  All of these so-called experts are already beginning to compare him to all these other non-bust failures in the NFL due to his attitude, when really, Baker Mayfield is probably more comparable attitude-wise to Cam Newton.  Or if we're going to compare him to a Hall of Fame Quarterback, how about Joe Nameth?  It remains to be seen where the Browns will be heading into next season.  But they better consider upgrading Gregg Williams from an interim position (and yes, I know the guy was notorious for Bounty Gate--the team is in desperate need for toughening up, so sue me).

21.  New York Giants (4-8):  In stark contrast, the Giants are steadily bouncing back from an abysmal 1-7 start on their season to win three of their last four.  Including a big one over the Bears.  Honestly, a lack of offensive discipline as well as a rookie coaching staff are pretty much the reason why the Giants were so bad for so long.  Will this become a Tale of Two Halves with the Giants?  Who can say?  But the biggest contributor to this massive turnaround is rookie RB Saquon Barkley, who is currently edging out Broncos RB Philip Lindsay for Offensive Rookie of the Year in a neck-and-neck race.

20.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-7):  Turnovers, turnovers, and turnovers were the reason why the Buccaneers have been so bad following their 2-0 start.  That and every kicker that plays for them in the league have since blown up in their face.  Especially since the Buccaneers lead the league in total offense by a sizeable margin.  Their defense is also starting to figure a few things out as well.  My worry with the Bucs though is that they may start to think that Jameis Winston will still be their man, and will attempt to keep him on board.  And head coach Kirk Koetter would still be a good fit.  Honestly, the two have been here since 2015 and 2016 respectively, and they only have 1 winning season in 2016 and no playoff appearance to show for it.  To think we now live in a world where the Buccaneers can actually be considered better than Green Bay or Atlanta.

19.  Miami Dolphins (6-6):  And here is where we begin to enter the conversation of who the Playoff contenders are going to be.  Honestly, even taking into accounts the last couple weeks, the Miami Dolphins are the team that has impressed me the least by far.  Do keep in mind that they started the season off 3-0 before losing to the Patriots.  And ever since then, the Dolphins have been rather stagnant at around .500.  While I do not remember every team's remaining schedule, I definitely do remember the fact that they now get to host the Patriots this week.  If this team can take care of business against the Patriots at home, and at least delay crowning them division champions for at least another week (and possibly even costing them homefield advantage), then maybe I'll consider rating them a little higher.

18.  Washington Redskins (6-6):  Honestly, with the decline of RB Adrien Peterson and the presumed end of QB Alex Smith's career (as well as little to no receivers to help his replacement QB's), it is tempting to rate the Washington Redskins even lower.  But frankly, it simply doesn't sit well for me to rate a team that is up two whole games behind teams like the Lions, Bills, and Giants.  Even so, I think this defense is good enough to match up well with all the other teams ranked below them.  If anything, I believe that the Giants and the Buccaneers probably would match up better than anybody else below this point, and that's assuming their offenses play mistake-free.  Other than that, I would still lean more towards the Redskins over everybody else here.

17.  Carolina Panthers (6-6):  A team I once considered a bonafide Super Bowl contender, with my own personal League MVP in Cam Newton, is now on a 4-game losing streak.  From 6-2 to now behind several other teams in the NFC Wild Card hunt.  Even without having played the Saints yet, they are all but effectively eliminated from competing for a division title now (they would need to win out, and then hope for the Saints to suffer a 5-game collapse for that to become a possibility).  Honestly, had they beaten the Seahawks, I probably would have considered rating them a bit higher than this.  As well as the Bucs.  And whoever else they played after that infamous Steelers game.

16.  Tennessee Titans (6-6):  This Tennessee Titans team is so unpredictable, so unreliable, that they even looked like they were going to get blown out by the lowly Jets.  They kept it close, but they did bounce back against a significantly inferior team.  But this is why I am rating the Titans dead center on my Power Rankings.  Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

15.  Philadelphia Eagles (6-6):  Up until tonight, I basically put the Redskins and Eagles at numbers 16 and 17.  I considered doing my Power Rankings a little earlier, but chose not to because I figured whoever won was going to get a slight upgrade while the loser would drop a couple spots (depending on the outcome of said game).  The Eagles won, and I ended up moving them up and down a spot each.  And the rest is history.  Now to see if the Eagles can turn this season around and win out for a chance to earn a playoff spot.

14.  Denver Broncos (6-6):  I already talked about Philip Lindsay being a potential Offensive Rookie of the Year candidate opposite Saquon Barkley.  But for once, I am now feeling pretty satisfied with the Broncos.  The only downside to the Broncos winning out is that it helps the Patriots in clinching homefield advantage.  Even so, the Broncos still need some help.  The Titans, Colts, Dolphins, and the loser of the Chargers vs. Steelers game all need to lose quite a few games in order to help boost the Broncos' chances of making the playoffs.  Luckily, the Steelers have two brutal games coming up, and all the Broncos need from the Titans, Colts, and Dolphins are one loss apiece.  Even then, they will need to win out if there's going to be any hope of a playoff berth for the Broncos.

13.  Indianapolis Colts (6-6):  Losing the way that they did to the Jaguars pretty much resulted in a drop in my Power Rankings.  Especially hurting is the TY Hilton injury.  He is by far their best playmaker and is essentially responsible for the Colts now dead 5-game winning streak.  Worth noting they were previously 1-5, with Hilton missing many of those 5 losses.  We'll see if this team will be able to bounce back though.

12.  Minnesota Vikings (6-5-1):  We knew the Vikings remaining schedule wasn't going to be easy.  Now they have to travel to Seattle, and they get to host the Chicago Bears at home.  The Vikings hope they can win out.  Because if they do, a playoff spot will be locked in place for them.  Heck, even a Division title is still in play since the Bears had lost to the Giants.

11.  Pittsburgh Steelers (7-4-1):  If you think that's rough, the Steelers have lost their last two, and they still have to play the Patriots and Saints.  Considering the fact that the Saints look like they're lightyears ahead of the Steelers, and they haven't been able to beat the Patriots since 2008--heck, Ben Roethlisberger is literally the only holdover from the very last time the Steelers had beaten Tom Brady all the way back in 2005.  Ever since then, the Steelers have always, ALWAYS lost to the Patriots.

10.  Baltimore Ravens (7-5):  I originally thought about rating them at number 9 based on strength of schedule, but ultimately, I decided to rate them based off of where I think they belong.  The Ravens are definitely one of the best defenses in the league right now.  And from the transition from Joe Flacco to rookie Lamar Jackson, the team has turned from a pass-first mentality to a run-first offense, dominating the line of scrimmage.  Unfortunately, I do not see much long-term success with this line of thinking in mind.  And to prove it to you guys, Lamar Jackson missed a series or two due to injury before getting cleared to play again, and RGIII ended up taking over in his place.  And how ironic that must be to be reminded of how RGIII's career went with a similar approach as well as a similar style of play as him.  Heck, Lamar Jackson isn't a particularly big guy, just like RGIII!  Right now, I do think the Ravens are a tad bit better than the Steelers.  But as far as playoffs go, I do not see this team making much noise should they actually get there.  Just a hunch.

9.  Seattle Seahawks (7-5):  Following a 4-5 start, the Seahawks have racked up some big wins over the Packers and Panthers.  And they showed that they were definitely a much better team than the 49ers.  This change in direction came with a reorganizing of the offensive line, and a restructuring of both the offense and defense.  The Seahawks have adapted very nicely following the end of the Legion of Boom.  I was more cautiously optimistic about this team heading into the preseason, and unfortunately for me (since I have no love for this team), said optimism has since been rewarded.  What more is that all of these changes actually came into fruition following an ugly 0-2 start.  Since then, their other three losses came at the hands of two LA bound teams (the Chargers plus the Rams twice).

8.  Dallas Cowboys (7-5):  That Amari Cooper trade they made with Oakland (combined with the injury of Alex Smith in Washington) have benefited the Cowboys tremendously.  Combined with one of the best defenses in the league and one of the best running backs in Ezekiel Elliot, the Cowboys are now on a 3-game winning streak that includes a Thursday Night home upset over the Saints.  One more win against the Eagles will put them in the driver's seat to all but win the NFC East.

7.  Chicago Bears (8-4):  Admittedly, the Bears did lose to the Giants.  But it was on the road, and their QB, Mitch Trubisky, was still injured.  At that moment, I probably should have read the tea leaves and predicted a Giant upset here, but for whatever reason, I never did.  So really, the Bears were playing with a handicap.  If Trubisky is healthy enough during the final home stretch, this team will easily clinch at least 10 wins and make the playoffs.  There really aren't too many scenarios where they don't make the playoffs just shy of an epic collapse, either.

6.  LA Chargers (9-3):  I'm going to hold off ranking the Chargers in the top 5 for the time being, even though they probably should be considered as such.  A good portion of their success last night came from the Steeler choking and then self-destructing.  But really, the Chargers were admirable in their own right, and they most likely would have won had they got the ball in Overtime anyways.  This team as a whole is going to be very difficult to defeat.  Saying that as a fan happy to witness my Broncos pull away with a massive upset a couple weeks ago.  Go figure.

5.  Kansas City Chiefs (10-2):  Spending pretty much the entire season in the top three, now all of a sudden, I'm docking them a couple spots in spite of a win?  Well, their defense did allow the Raiders to score at will against them.  So yeah!  That's a big dumpster fire right there.  All it takes really is for a defense to contain Patrick Mahomes, and it doesn't matter how good that offense is going to be on paper.  This is pretty much the reason why they are no longer in the top three....No, seriously!  That's all you need to know!  I'm moving on now....bye....Otherwise, a win plus either a Steelers or Ravens loss will clinch a playoff berth.  Now, good night everybody!

4.  Houston Texans (9-3):  If only the Texans didn't start 0-3--with one of those losses coming against the Patriots.  Then, I would have considered placing the Texans at number 3 on my Power Rankings.  Really, in a vacuum, I do believe the Texans would beat the Patriots as they are now.  But in Foxborough in January, good luck.  Speaking of which, a win next week against the Colts clinches the division!

3.  New England Patriots (9-3):  Another case of win next week, and you clinch the division.  That's all I have to say about that!

2.  New Orleans Saints (10-2):  Looks like the Saints need to wait to clinch their division until next week.  A win and/or a Panthers loss will clinch it for them.  All before they even get to play the Panthers!  Seriously, who comes up with these schedules, anyways?

1.  Los Angeles Rams (11-1):  Division Champs!  *smooching hand*  Good night, everybody!

85f.gif

On 12/2/2018 at 3:43 PM, AZcards77 said:

downloadfile.gif

On 12/2/2018 at 3:57 PM, Bolt said:

1st WIN @ Green Bay since they were the Chicago Cardinals, back in 1949!!!

0-9 since then...  UNTIL NOW!

Speaking of 1st's, though:

K.C got their 1st-ever HOME-"W" over the Ravens, Sunday.

(0-3, incl. 1 Playoff-loss, before dat.)

Also, BAL is only 1-4 @ HOME in this series...

Strange.

At week 13, I honestly have no idea who the Super Bowl favorites are. Easy $$$ (what I call the "Mike Gordan Bet") is on the highest ranked teams by win total. But I'm just not sure.

I remain unconvinced that the teams currently leading the league, Saints, Rams, Chiefs, etc. have what it takes to go deep into the playoffs. I will say that I like the Chiefs at home through the playoffs, but I don't have faith in this team to keep their shit together deep into the playoffs--when it counts. I have no reason to believe that Andy Reid isn't going to, once again, coach himself out of the playoffs. For as good as Andy Reid-coached teams' regular season standings are, the dude has a real problem translating that success into the playoffs.

The Rams showed me yesterday that all they require is a team to punch them in the face to revert Goff back down to rookie status.

New Orleans is never a sure thing--I don't care how much hype they get. Either Sean Peyton coaches them into a ditch; the defense decides not to show up; or Drew Brees has an average game--that's all it's going to take for N.O. to get booted by even a reasonably talented opponent.

I have a nagging suspicion that a middle-of-the-pack team is going to get hot at the right moment and run a Wildcard-to-Conference title wave.

And for the most important part of this post: The Patriots. Honestly, I still feel very good about the Patriots chances in the post-season. I don't see any reason why the Patriots can't go the distance. Every week has seen incremental scheme changes. The offensive side of the ball continues to evolve into one of the most complete/balanced in all of football. The defensive side of the ball still lacks up front, but the LBs are making up with some of that pressure. The CBs need to figure out their shit--clearly the weakest aspect of the Patriots current roster.

Regarding yesterday's game--I don't even mind the 'Miracle in Miami.' I was pumped to see Frank Gore bust a few long runs on the Pats. I couldn't be anymore excited to see that guy find success at this stage in his career. The most underrated RB of all-time, IMO. I also think Gronk was spot on in his post-game interview, where he proposed that the loss would be a gut check for the Patriots. It's the kind of gut check that can only benefit a team that gives itself a yearly high bar to achieve.

Despite this game now being played like college ball, I'm looking forward to what's to come!

Edited by Yak

4 hours ago, Yak said:

I have a nagging suspicion that a middle-of-the-pack team is going to get hot at the right moment and run a Wildcard-to-Conference title wave.

Yeah couldn't you see the Cowboys, Seahawks, or Bears making a run at this thing? 

If San Diego showed up and looked good in KC (they wouldn't even need to win) that would cetainly be big to me. 

I think the one thing that's going to work against the Cowboys is the fact that they are a dome team that will most likely have to play the NFC Championship game on the road.  And outside of the Saints, none of the other teams in the NFC that are in playoff contention are playing in Domes.

Now to look at the other side of the equation--the AFC.  It's perfectly reasonable to doubt one of the many victims of the AFL Championship curse (outside of the Raiders--who lost the Super Bowl that year anyways--none of the former AFL Champions have ever won a Super Bowl, and none of the pre-merger Super Bowl Champions from the AFL have yet to make it back).  And it's perfectly reasonable to assume the Patriots would make it back again--even though the last Super Bowl loser to make it back were the Bills' 4-peat losses back in the early 90's.  They are the Patriots, after all, and they seem perpetually destined to make the AFC Championship game every year.

Now, for the big question--who do I think the likeliest spoilers to reach the Super Bowl are going to be?  Honestly, I'd pick the Ravens and the Bears from each conference.  Maybe the Chargers and Seahawks--though the latter's much more efficient at home than they are on the road.  But as far as teams I'd still put money on to make it to the Super Bowl?  It's still going to come from the same well as the Saints/Rams/Chiefs.  And the Saints seem to be the one team that can play good football on both sides of the ball.  Besides, we've never seen a Super Bowl between two teams in which neither side had the first round bye.  So it's perfectly reasonable to assume that whoever gets that coveted first round bye have the best shots at reaching the Super Bowl.

And frankly, the big advantages for the time being belong to the Saints and Chiefs respectively.  Though we'll wait and see.  The Chiefs only need to win two of their last three games to clinch homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, and it doesn't matter who it's going to be (as the Chiefs would still own the tie-breaker over the Chargers based on divisional record).

But my Power Rankings are constantly changing and shifting around for a reason.  Things tend to change at the drop of the hat.  One week, you might be a playoff-caliber team.  The next, you struggle to beat the San Francisco 49ers, the Oakland Raiders, or the Arizona Cardinals--the worst teams in football.  Sometimes, the symptoms are as simple as losing a core piece of your unit to injury; while other times, it's something far more subtle and difficult to pin down.

One thing this game showed us

c0XZrHQ.gif

is you gotta have the FIGHT.

People talk about, "Pete Carroll is washed up this, Pete Carroll is washed up that"

wetpete.gif

Pete Carroll is not washed up!

8Mxk.gif

Pete Carroll brings the HAMMER!

giphy.gif

Pete Carrroll chews that gum with A PURPOSE!

825361203.gif

And remember...

richard-sherman-o.gif?w=1000

Pete Carroll is, the Legion Of

giphy.gif

Okay, time to discuss some playoff clinching or elimination scenarios.  As you know, the Saints and Rams both clinched the NFC South and West divisions respectively, while the Kansas City Chiefs clinched a playoff berth.  On the other side of the coin, the Raiders, 49ers, Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets, and Bills were all eliminated from playoff contention this week.  The Atlanta Falcons, meanwhile, are the only 4-win team still in the hunt, surprisingly enough.  But it won't last for very long.

The Saints and Rams can both clinch a first round bye with a win and a Bears loss.

The Chiefs can clinch the AFC West tomorrow night with a win over the Chargers.  But on the other side of the equation, the Chargers can clinch a Playoff berth with a road win over the Chiefs, or some losses from the Dolphins and Colts; the latter is the only scenario in which both teams clinch their respective positions this year.

The Bears can clinch the NFC North with a win or a Vikings loss.

The Texans can clinch the AFC South with a win and losses for the Colts and Titans.

The Cowboys can clinch the NFC East with a win and Redskins loss.

Almost forgot that the Patriots didn't clinch.  But they'd clinch the AFC East with a win and Dolphins loss.  They can't lose two out of three and expect no help as the Dolphins could hypothetically win out and secure the tie-breaker based on divisional record (the best the Patriots could finish at 10-6 is 4-2 versus the Dolphins' 5-1 should they win out).

Finally, the Seahawks can clinch a Wild Card spot with a win and losses from the Eagles or Vikings.

Now to go over the teams that face elimination:

The Atlanta Falcons are the last remaining 4-win team left in the hunt for playoff contention as the Vikings had lost to the Seahawks last night.  Still, for the Falcons to make the playoffs, they would need to win out, and then the Vikings and Eagles must all lose out; the Panthers must lose at least one game to the Saints; and a great many other things.  They will be officially eliminated with a loss or a win from the Vikings or Eagles (the latter team owns the head-to-head tie-breaker).

Now to look over to the AFC side.  As the Steelers lost two in a row while the Ravens lost last week, the AFC North is still technically wide open for the Bengals or Browns to potentially steal.  Either team can win out and clinch the division with the continued collapse of the Steelers, as well the Ravens joining in as well.  Though that window officially closes if either team wins this weekend.  Meanwhile, they face additional elimination with a loss and a win from either the Dolphins, Titans, or Colts.  Or wins from both the Steelers and Ravens; that takes care of that, too.

The NFC side has a few more teams facing elimination this week as well.  As the window for their respective divisions have officially closed the last couple of weeks, all they can hope for is a Wild Card spot, likely as the 6th and final seed.  As such, the Lions, Packers, Giants, and Buccaneers all need to win out and then receive some additional help from some other teams just to make the playoffs (at the very least, they would need the Panthers, Eagles, and Vikings to lose two out of three, while the other three longshots collapse lose one or two).  They will officially be eliminated this week with a loss and wins from the Vikings, Eagles, and/or Panthers depending on the team).

The funny thing is that after this week, we may find ourselves officially knowing nine of our ten playoff teams in contention, with only the AFC North, and the 6th seed in both conferences still in doubt.  Likewise, we may see a scenario where only 10 teams remain in contention for one of the three remaining playoff seats (as we'd have 9 teams locked in and 13 teams eliminated, leaving 10 behind).  These ten teams are as follows:  Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans, Denver Broncos, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Minnesota Vikings, and Carolina Panthers.