NFL 2018-2019 Season Discussion

31 minutes ago, gojiphen malor said:

Perfect time to hide my face in a TSB Tool for now lol

hqdefault.jpg

Don't dream it's over.

Signed,

JAGUARS1JETS1

4 hours ago, gojiphen malor said:

1) Inconsistent run game, 2) poor secondary play, 3) injuries all around.. 

Perfect time to hide my face in a TSB Tool for now lol

As  a Cowboys fan, while it's nice to get that W (you could almost call it crucial), it's hard to feel that good about things with how they are now. 

Things I do feel good about, starting with where the 2018 and 2019 first round picks got spent... 

Amari Cooper. I have quickly fallen in love with this guy. He's like the perfect type of no. 1 WR this team needs (and yes I wish we still had Dez, but that's out of my hands)

Leighton Vander Esch. Dude made the play of the game and I ain't talking about that 1st quarter gift INT ( looked like a total Wentz brain fart, Dak had his own but got lucky he didn't get pick sixed by whatever Eagle defender that was). Forcing a 3rd and 2 to about a 5 yard loss on that screen, beating those two blockers to get to the receiver and then actually making the tackle? (which was not a sure thing). This kid is exciting and so is...

Jaylon Smith... OMG. Clear Eye View can fly. He's still getting better. This young front 7 is so fun to watch ( and I like the secondary as well, they're just not as fun to watch... yet)

D Law - There was a play on Sunday night, and I don't remember the specifics other than I think it was in the first half, but there was a solid Eagles gain, and it could have been way worse, but who comes flying in from behind (and the other side of the field) but D Law. I LOVE HIS MOTOR! And his approach. He's not one for anointing oil but for what one shows on the field, and we walks that walk too. 

Randy Gregory - Please stay on the straight and narrow, I love your game when you're active on the roster. 

Byron Jones - Yes he's gotten passed on a little bit more in the last couple of weeks, but man, what a difference on the field this year after they stopped effing around with trying to play him as a safety. This team still needs improvement at safety, but you can't argue with what Jones has been putting on tape this season. 

Now after saying all that, the reality is yes... the Cowboys are 4-5 and with a losing record, they are what their record says they are. A win against Philly is ALWAYS CHERISHED. Even amid the 90s, those Iggles defenses would bring some serious whoopass and I was very concerned going into this game. Frankly I'm still very concerned, but glad for that DUB. 

Can they put it together consistently? I can only hope that bringing in Cooper was the key to unlocking that. Time will tell, not some prognosticator. 

1 minute ago, kamphuna8 said:

As  a Cowboys fan, while it's nice to get that W (you could almost call it crucial), it's hard to feel that good about things with how they are now. 

Things I do feel good about, starting with where the 2018 and 2019 first round picks got spent... 

Amari Cooper. I have quickly fallen in love with this guy. He's like the perfect type of no. 1 WR this team needs (and yes I wish we still had Dez, but that's out of my hands)

Leighton Vander Esch. Dude made the play of the game and I ain't talking about that 1st quarter gift INT ( looked like a total Wentz brain fart, Dak had his own but got lucky he didn't get pick sixed by whatever Eagle defender that was). Forcing a 3rd and 2 to about a 5 yard loss on that screen, beating those two blockers to get to the receiver and then actually making the tackle? (which was not a sure thing). This kid is exciting and so is...

Jaylon Smith... OMG. Clear Eye View can fly. He's still getting better. This young front 7 is so fun to watch ( and I like the secondary as well, they're just not as fun to watch... yet)

D Law - There was a play on Sunday night, and I don't remember the specifics other than I think it was in the first half, but there was a solid Eagles gain, and it could have been way worse, but who comes flying in from behind (and the other side of the field) but D Law. I LOVE HIS MOTOR! And his approach. He's not one for anointing oil but for what one shows on the field, and we walks that walk too. 

Randy Gregory - Please stay on the straight and narrow, I love your game when you're active on the roster. 

Byron Jones - Yes he's gotten passed on a little bit more in the last couple of weeks, but man, what a difference on the field this year after they stopped effing around with trying to play him as a safety. This team still needs improvement at safety, but you can't argue with what Jones has been putting on tape this season. 

Now after saying all that, the reality is yes... the Cowboys are 4-5 and with a losing record, they are what their record says they are. A win against Philly is ALWAYS CHERISHED. Even amid the 90s, those Iggles defenses would bring some serious whoopass and I was very concerned going into this game. Frankly I'm still very concerned, but glad for that DUB. 

Can they put it together consistently? I can only hope that bringing in Cooper was the key to unlocking that. Time will tell, not some prognosticator. 

Zeke was a complete monster. 

On 11/13/2018 at 4:52 PM, kamphuna8 said:

It makes me happy that somebody got DA Love, for Amari Cooper...  I worry about his hands.  But if a Cowboy-fan got da love, well, he'll make a good Cowboy.

# I appreciate his effort, dough

On 10/23/2018 at 3:42 AM, Mike Gordan said:

4.  New England Patriots (5-2):  Honestly, the rest of this Power Ranking is pretty much based on overall record.  I still do not feel comfortable in picking the Chargers as a shoe-in in any game.  But even with a sense of certainty for the Patriots just because their division always sucks ass

To be clear, the reason the Patriots have dominated the NFL for the past 18 years is not because their division sucks.  It is well documented that even as of a couple of years ago, the Patriots have almost an identical winning % vs. non AFC East teams as they do against the AFC East.  They have also won the AFC 8 times and won 5 Super Bowls, which has nothing to do with the division they are in.

But even with a sense of certainty for the Patriots just because their division always sucks ass, and all of these rules and regulations seem designed to rig games in their favor no matter what

I don't even know how to respond to absurd claims like this anymore.  I dropped this mentality many years ago.

Tom Brady is 41 years old.  No matter how much you coddle the man and protect him from any kind of defensive contact, the fact remains that there's one thing you cannot shield him from--his arm strength waning.  Even with a balanced running attack being implemented, Brady is still chucking it downfield like crazy.  And eventually, he's going to wear down and tire out.  I keep seeing a few signs that his arm strength might be fading a bit.  But so far, he is still a fairly accurate quarterback.  But these things are really subtle and won't rear their ugly head until later on in the season.  And they really won't show their true colors until the season after.  As such, I think this is the Patriots final season in which they will be able to try and reign supreme atop the AFC.  I know I've been saying this since 2015/2016.  But that's because Tom Brady continues to defy all expectations here.  Sooner or later, I'm bound to be right.

Breaking news for everyone regarding their opinions on Tom Brady's decline.  YOU WERE ALL WRONG!  Hell, I was wrong.  Tom Brady has defied everyone.  Max Kellerman stated he would fall off a cliff in 2016 or early 2017.  And this wasn't even a "hot take" as many others predicted this a year or two prior.  Shit, I remember people making this claim during the 2014 season.  Well, It's 2018 and he is still one of the top QBs in the league.  Let's just face facts.  Tom Brady has played at a high level longer than anyone expected, with the exception of Tom himself.  Sure, people can claim year after year that this will be the year he drops off (and yes, it is bound to happen eventually), but the fact that everyone has already made this claim every year for the past 2-4 years makes everyone already wrong.

Hot take:  Patrick Mahomes will decline in the next 1-25 years. 

the fact remains that their defense sucks

Now that we can agree on!  The Pats D is awful.  Imagine if they had a good one?!

Did anybody see that Steelers game, in full?  How did it go down?

How did the jags blow it?

Also, I missed seeing that;  when an unnecessary-roughness penalty was called on Jags' Abry Jones, during the XP after steelers last TD.

Did you see it?

Did they show a replay of it (i.e., showing why it was called)?  Or was it just, enforced?

Just wondering

Okay, even though there's still one more game ahead of us I figured I might as well just shoot for an updated Power Rankings now.  You know, while I can still say that every team in the league has now officially played 10 games as of this moment.  This time, I am taking into account not just a team's record, but their projected ranges in which I believe the team will finish by the end of the season:

32.  Arizona Cardinals (2-8):  In spite what I said before, the Cardinals and Raiders are at a statistical tie for worst team in the league, and they most likely blew their best shot at another win the rest of the season, too.  They have, statistically, the absolute worst offense in the league in every conceivable category.  They can't pass, run, or do much of anything right, and unless they play the 49ers every week, that isn't going to generate much, if any wins any time soon.  Though their remaining schedule is going to be a lot harder than the Raiders, I still see a potential win for with the Cardinals playing either the Lions or in Seattle (where they seem to do very well regardless of the skill level between the teams, for whatever reason).  I think the Cardinals will most likely end up losing out though, but there is a chance that they get a win in there still.  I project the Cardinals to finish anywhere from 2-14 to 3-13, with strong leanings towards the latter.

31.  Oakland Raiders (2-8):  Yeah, they may have pulled away with a win, but it's almost certainly going to be their last win of the season, and they barely got out of there with a win as well.  And while they would likely end up with the third overall pick if the bottom three's standings remain, I do think the Raiders have the worst shot at a win out of everybody.  Their window to another win would likely involve either the Broncos laying an egg, or the Chiefs resting their starters and essentially letting them win out of pity.  Either way, I don't like the Raiders' chances at another win.  Projected to finish anywhere from 2-14 to 3-13.

30.  San Francisco 49ers (2-8):  In spite making up the third child in what are easily the three worst teams in the league, I actually see two potential wins in there for the 49ers--at Tampa Bay, and either against the Broncos or a Rams team resting their starters.  This doesn't mean much though because the 49ers are so bloody comparatively bad to that of the Raiders and Cardinals that their overall ranking between the three teams varies significantly.  But still, I'm projecting a range of 2-14 to 4-12 for the 49ers--just enough confidence in two wins to rank them ahead of the rest, but not much further.

29.  New York Jets (3-7):  Even though I'm pretty definitive in labeling the bottom three the bottom three of the league, the Jets (as well as the next couple of teams as well) are not that much better by comparison.  This team will have to play three defensively oriented teams; the Patriots twice; and Aaron Rodgers.  Sam Darnold is a turnover machine, and the rest of the team as a whole is not that much better.  All confidence in coach Todd Bowles is now officially lost and his job is all but gone by this point.  Is there another win in store for the New York Jets?  Honestly, there's two instances in which I think they could get another win in--either they play the Patriots in a meaningless season finale for the latter; or they catch the maddeningly inconsistent Tennessee Titans off guard in a couple weeks.  Other than that, I have no confidence in the Jets matching or improving their last couple of seasons.  I'm projecting them to finish anywhere from 3-13 to 4-12.

28.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-7):  At least the Bucs have the league''s best offense and passing attack to literally give them a chance against anybody.  Yes, even the Saints (they are, after all, the only team in the NFL all season to beat the Saints thus far).  They simply turn the ball over too many times, and have by far the lousiest kicking luck of any team in the league.  Every kicker they have hired to their squad has been nothing short of a bust that loses their confidence almost as soon as they step out into the field.  Not to mention their horrendously bad defense.  Still, the turnovers will likely cost them every game this season.  But their explosive offense--when they can get things going--does give the team a chance to win on any given Sunday.  As such, I am predicting them to finish the season anywhere from 3-13 to 5-11--their remaining wins likely coming against the 49ers and/or pretty much anybody else.  Though I have no confidence in their ability to win more than two more times this season.  Dirk Koetter will then join Todd Bowles on the unemployment line.

27.  Buffalo Bills (3-7):  The funny thing is just imagining how nearly every game the rest of the season is suddenly winnable for the Buffalo Bills--and that's in spite an offense that is comparatively inept to that of the Arizona Cardinals.  That's what happens when you don't invest any of your resources on building up an offensive line or bringing some receiver help for Josh Allen--or anybody else at QB for that matter.  Unless the Bills close out the season especially strong--and that's exceeding my own expectations for how I'm projecting this team to finish--I see that coaching staff and GM hitting the unemployment line after this season.  I'm projecting the Bills to finish anywhere from 4-12 to 6-10 on the season.  Of course, this does mean that the Bills are the first team on my power rankings that I feel confident in their chances at least one more win.  But when you play the Dolphins twice, the Jets again (who they had annihilated a week ago), the Jaguars, and the Lions, then of course they should be able to win at least one of these games.  The one game I'm feeling confident in picking against them at this point is the Patriots in Foxborough.  But even then, it's not exactly a dead lock that week.

26.  New York Giants (3-7):  I do not share OBJ's confidence in this team's ability to close the season out 8-8, but I do think they'll come pretty darn close to that range.  Keep in mind, they still have to go to Philly, Washington, and Indianapolis; and they still have to host the Bears, Titans, and Cowboys.  I think they are for sure going to lose to the Bears; and I don't think there's any possible way the Giants win out against everybody else.  But I do think they'll sneak a win against at least one of these teams, however.  But it's definitely looking to be a tough grind moving forward.  I am projecting them to finish anywhere from 4-12 to 7-9, though my confidence in this team's abilities to win 7 games is not all that high.  And to think, the problem with the Giants was Eli Manning, as all these so-called experts keep projecting (they even bitched about the Steelers spiking the ball when they still had one more time out left in their pocket, even though anybody with any common sense would understand why they would do such a thing).

25.  Cleveland Browns (3-6-1):  Aside from perhaps against the Houston Texans, I don't think there's a single unwinnable game left on the Browns' schedule.  Though I doubt they'll be able to win out against everybody but the Texans.  This team is kind of the inverse to the Giants; really good defense, but not that great an offense all things considered.  Baker Mayfield is really proving to be a perfect fit for the Browns organization, as they may have finally drafted a worthwhile quarterback.  Just don't make a political hire like that Conni Rice babe as head coach.  It's not going to end well if you do.  I'm projecting anywhere from 4-11-1 to 7-8-1--a little bit more confident in the Browns' ability to hit 7 wins, but still, I doubt they'll win that many games by comparison.

24.  Jacksonville Jaguars (3-7):  In spite the fact that the Jaguars have now lost six straight games, I do think they will be able to get away with at least two more wins this season.  Too bad most of their remaining games are road games, but I digress.  They have to travel to Buffalo, Tennessee, Miami, and Houston; while hosting the Colts and Redskins.  As per usual, I think the Texans game is pretty much a lock to pick against the Jaguars.  But everybody else is surprisingly winnable, with a margin of error of at least one loss among them.  So, yeah.  I definitely don't think they'll hit .500.  But anywhere from 5-11 to 7-9 is definitely feasible.

23.  Miami Dolphins (5-5):  At this point in time, there really is no point in trying to do Power Rankings based relatively on record alone.  We are now approaching the end game, and the next batch of teams are so bloody close to one another in terms of skill level that we're going to find ourselves right in the thick of trying to figure out who has the best chances at making the playoffs.  And as far as confidence goes, I have by far the least amount of confidence in this team's chances at making the playoffs.  And that's in spite having at least one additional win over several of the next batch of teams hoping to exceed all expectations.  Heck, I sometimes wonder just how much better the Dolphins even are compared to the teams ranked below them.  Following a 3-0 start, they've been a putrid 2-5 since.  Outside of forcing turnovers and getting good field position on Special Teams, the Dolphins don't really do anything right.  Their record right now is an anomoly, as they have clearly overachieved in the month of September.  Their remaining games?  They play the Bills twice; host Jacksonville and New England; and travel to Minnesota and Indianapolis.  The only bright spot is that outside of a season finale against the Bills, the Dolphins in a scheduling quirk, do not need to worry about any other cold weather games the rest of the year.  But that doesn't matter when you can't do anything.  I'm projecting this team to finish anywhere from 6-10 to 8-8; and the only reason why I would even think about picking the Dolphins to go 8-8 is because they tend to have New England's number down in Miami for whatever reason.  Otherwise, I am simply presuming that they are better than the Bills and Jaguars and thus will get one additional win against both ball clubs.

22.  Atlanta Falcons (4-6):  Okay, so the Falcons have lost their last two games against the Browns and Cowboys--two teams they probably should have beaten, if not handidly.  And now they have to go to New Orleans to face the Saints.  Aside from a home game against the Cardinals, the Falcons' remaining schedule is also quite brutal--they have to win at home agains the Ravens, and then have to go on the road to face the Packers, Panthers, and Buccaneers.  To put it into context, the only possible way this team can possibly go to the playoffs is for the Falcons to win out.  Just one loss alone will all but eliminate the Falcons from playoff contention.  Especially given how the race for the Wild Card spot is going to be an intense one.  From that lineup, the Falcons seem all but certain to win at least one game--specifically against the Cardinals; while they seem all but certain to lose to the Saints.  And losing to the Saints will officially eliminate the Falcons from competing for the division crown as well.  So with that said, based on that scheduling spread, I'm projecting the Falcons to finish the season anywhere from 6-10 to 8-8 rather comfortably.  I think they'll get at least two more wins, but at least two more losses based on their schedule.  But otherwise, it's time to face the music and accept that the Falcons are simply really bad.

21.  Detroit Lions (4-6):  Similarly to the Falcons, the Lions basically face a do-or-die situation going forward.  Though they won't be eliminated from competing for the division title, it will be all but a certaintiy if they lose Thanksgiving to the Bears.  And similarly to the Falcons before them, the closest thing to a lock for the Lions would be a home game against the Cardinals.  Personally, I believe the Lions' remaining schedule is at least a touch easier than the Falcons.  Mainly because I do not think the Bears are a lock to win against the Lions next week.  But considering the fact that they would still need to play the Rams, Vikings, and Packers again--the latter in Green Bay--and the fact that playing in Buffalo probably isn't going to be any fun for Detroit, either; it is still relatively grim to that of the Falcons.  Especially since another loss at any point will all but close the door on this team's playoff aspirations.

20.  Denver Broncos (4-6):  No, seriously.  When you get down to it, the Denver Broncos probably should have been 6-4 by this point in time, if not better.  Should have beaten that first Chiefs game, and we should have beaten the Texans last week.  Most of the problems the Broncos had to suffer through all come from their coaching.  The fact that we are still very much alive in the playoff hunt and have the clearest window to a playoff berth out of all the other teams up to this point in time is testament on how the Broncos up to this point in time, have been greatly underachieving.  There's simply no excuses for the team to have been as bad as we were for so long.  This weekend proved it when we stormed Charger stadium and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.  Still, all it takes is a loss or a Chiefs win to effectively end the Broncos' all-but-done bid for a division title.  And a loss especially would all but kill whatever chance we might have at a wild card spot as well.  After a home game against the Steelers--which, after this week, anything's possible--they still have to go to Cincinnati, San Francisco, and Oakland, while hosting the Browns and Chargers.  Still, knowing that the Broncos are the Broncos, and Vance Joseph is Vance Joseph, I'm still projecting the Broncos to finish anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7.  The fact that the Broncos get to play two bottom-feeders in the 49ers and Raiders, and we tend to have Cleveland's number anyways, does give me at least enough confidence that we should be able to exceed our win total from last week.  But just shy of closing out our season with a 7-game winning streak, I have little to no confidence in this team making the playoffs.

19.  Philadelphia Eagles (4-6):  Even though the Eagles got their asses utterly handed to them on a silver platter; and even though the Eagles have a harder remaining schedule than the Broncos; I do think the Eagles deserve to be ranked just a little bit higher.  At least for the time being.  This is because due to the Alex Smith injury with the Redskins (as well as the Redskins subsequent loss this weekend), the path to the division crown is still pretty wide-open.  Especially since they get to play the Redskins twice--including a season finale matchup no less.  They otherwise still get to host the Giants and Texans, but have to go to Dallas and LA to play the Cowboys and Rams respectively.  I honestly do believe that the Rams are a certainty to win when the time comes.  But the team that would all but certainly close the door to a playoff berth for the defending Super Bowl champions would have to be the Cowboys.  If they lose in Dallas, they might as well kiss their status as defending Super Bowl champions good bye.  As such, I am projecting the Eagles to finish anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7.

18.  Washington Redskins (6-4):  Speaking of the Washington Redskins, it's only because the Redskins have a pretty sizeable 6-4 record at this point that they even rate considerably higher than the last couple of teams at this point in time.  Losing your starting quarterback 33 years to the day that Joe Theisman suffered a similarly grueling injury (that was ultimately a career-ending injury to boot) alone is enough to drop a team several spots.  Especially since this team offensively just hasn't been producing all that much.  Adrien Peterson is beginning to slow down, and there simply aren't that many weapons for current backup Colt McCoy to throw to.  With that said, the Redskins have yet to play the Eagles up to this point, so it's highly possible that the Redskins may continue to decend on the Power Rankings from here.  But in all honesty, the Redskins only need to win their next three games in order to clinch the division title.  They'll have to travel to Dallas for Thanksgiving, and then to Philadelphia before hosting the Giants.  If they win all three of those games, the Redskins could clinch the NFC East with a month to go.  I wouldn't recommend it, and I don't expect that to happen, either.  But food for thought (this is because the Redskins would own tie breakers based on divisional records and the head-to-head sweep over the Eagles and Cowboys respectively).  Their remaining games after that three game stretch, by the way, also include road trips to Jacksonville and Tennessee before hosting the Eagles during the season finale.  As such, I am projecting the Redskins to close out their season anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7.  I think their defense is good enough to nab the Redskins at least one more win.  And if my projected scenario does go to fruition, the Redskins could easily clinch a playoff berth with three weeks to spare.

17.  Cincinnati Bengals (5-5):  What was once one of the most potent offenses in the league now all of a sudden finds itself as one of the worst offensive units in the league at this point.  And all it took was an injury to AJ Green to do it, too.  The Bengals are really starting to find themselves heading back down to earth at this point, as the rest of the NFL landscape begins to settle in.  They play the Browns twice and host the Broncos and Raiders.  Too bad they have to travel on the road to play the Chargers and Steelers--the latter to close out the season.  Honestly, the Bengals finishing anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 seems like a perfectly reasonable place to put them in, even though the Bengals would likely need to win almost all of their remaining games just to make the playoffs.

16.  Baltimore Ravens (5-5):  I sort of saw the outcome of the Bengals @ Ravens game coming this weekend.  But with that said, I really did not like what I saw offensively.  Watching tape from Lamar Jackson, it made me think the guy really should be a running back or a receiver.  But certainly not a quarterback.  Sure, it might make for some exciting football, but it's not going to win you many games.  And based on the praises I heard John Harbough give the kid, it leads me to believe that he's going to keep him as the starting quarterback for the rest of the season.  Honestly, while I'd rather just stick with one quarterback or the other, I'd rather they keep Joe Flacco than Lamar Jackson.  It isn't going to take very long for teams to realize how to beat them.  Especially opposing defenses.  Speaking of which, let's look at their remaining schedule; they get to host the Oakland Raiders, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Cleveland Browns for the season finale.  But they also get to travel to Atlanta, LA Chargers, and the Kansas City Chiefs.  Granted, these are all primarily offensively geared football teams except the Browns, who are defensive in nature.  But things are bound to get messy fairly quickly if Lamar Jackson is forced to throw the ball downfield 30 times a game because these teams figured out how to contain the run.  Still, Oakland, Tampa, and maybe Atlanta all pretty much force me to predict that the Ravens will finish anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7.  And similar to the Bengals, I don't think that's going to be good enough to bring this team back to the playoffs.

15.  Tennessee Titans (5-5):  I'll just start off by saying that the Titans are likely to finish anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 this season.  Yeah, I'm going to be lazy here.  This is because the Titans cannot seem to make up their mind as to whether or not they are one of the most dominant teams in the league or not.  Though to be fair, their defensive coordinator getting sent to the hospital in the middle of the game probably contributed to the utter deflation of the Titans defense.  But the fact remains, they utterly embarrased the Patriots only to get humiliated by the Colts a week later.  Their remaining schedule has them traveling to Houston, hosting the Jets and Jaguars, traveling to New York to face the Giants, and then staying home to play the Redskins and Colts--the latter in a season finale that could determine which team will be moving on to the playoffs.  Do look at this game to be a potential Sunday Night matchup.

14.  Green Bay Packers (4-5-1):  Yes, even though they had lost in Seattle, I am moving them up several spots on my Power Rankings.  This is because we are now looking at possible pathways to the playoffs, and if the Packers beat the Vikings this weekend in Minnesota, the path to the playoffs will suddenly open up for them.  They would then get to host the Cardinals and Falcons; travel to Chicago and New York to face the Bears and Jets respectively; all before returning home to host the Detroit Lions.  With Aaron Rodgers under center, every game on their schedule is winnable.  And the Packers have to win out just to make the playoffs.  I am projecting the Packers to finish the season anywhere from 7-8-1 to 10-5-1.  Yes, I am projecting a possible 6-game sweep to close out the season for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers should they beat the Vikings.  Speaking of which....

13.  Minnesota Vikings (5-4-1):  Like the Packers, I am projecting the Vikings to finish anywhere from 7-8-1 to 10-5-1.  Their remaining schedule is a touch harder than the Packers.  Though the outcome of next week's game is definitely going to decide which team is for sure better, and who has a much cleaerer inside track to making the playoffs.  The reason I consider the Vikings schedule to be harder?  After their home game against the Packers, they then have to travel on the road to play the Patriots and Seahawks.  They do host Miami shortly afterwards, but then have to travel to Detroit before closing their season out in Chicago.  Considering how close the Vikings came to taking Soldier Field last night, it's very possible the outcome of that game may in fact determine if the Vikings even have an inside track to the division.  Which, among other things, is why I am ranking the Vikings just slightly ahead of the Packers.

12.  Dallas Cowboys (5-5):  By far the largest leap from where a team previously ranked.  Of course, they had some help with Alex Smith suffered that horrific leg injury that may potentially end his career in the loss to the Houston Texans, but the Cowboys themselves definitely contributed with road upsets against the Eagles and Falcons that suddenly put their playoff hopes in jeopardy.  Aside from a home game against the Saints, the rest of their schedule seems pretty favorable towards the Cowboys' chances at winning the division; after a home Thanksgiving matchup against the reeling Washington Redskins (as well as, of course, the home date with the Saints), the Cowboys would then have to play the the Eagles, the Colts in Indianapolis, the Bucs, and finally the Giants in New York.  With that defense of theirs, nearly all of those games are now winnable, and the one that isn't is still a feasible upset.  But with that said, I'm projecting the Cowboys to finish anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6.  And honestly, those numbers will likely be enough to at least make a case that they are in fact playoff contenders.

11.  Seattle Seahawks (5-5):  Here's another team that has a Thanksgiving weekend matchup that will most likely shape up the playoff landscape.  If the Seahawks beat the next team on the Power Rannkings, they will have a much more clear inside track at making the playoffs as a Wild Card team.  If they lose, those chances begin to dim a little, but are not completely snuffed out.  After this weekend's game, the Seahawks will then have to play the 49ers twice; and then they will have home dates with the Vikings, Chiefs, and Cardinals.  Even though they are really bad, that last team is probably the one the Seahawks would have to worry about the most (how awful it must be to have your season come to an abrupt end at the hands of arguably the worst team in football).  Similarly to the Cowboys before them, I am projecting the Seahawks to finish anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6.

10.  Carolina Panthers (6-4):  The fact that the Panthers are currently sitting on a game up on the Seahawks is reason enough I am ranking them ahead of the Seahawks.  Though if they lose at home to the Seahawks next week, their path to the playoffs becomes much more hectic.  They would then have to travel to Tampa and Cleveland; and then close out their season hosting the Falcons and playing the Saints twice.  If the Panthers win this weekend, then really, they just need to win their subsequent road games and then win one out of their final three games to make the playoffs (shooting for the division crown at this stage is simply out of the question).  If they lose, then even if they win two of their final three games, they'd still have to hope that neither the Vikings nor the Packers will be able to rally their way to 10 wins themselves.  Or they could hope the Saints lay a couple of eggs and the Panthers win out.  As such, I am projecting another potential finish anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6.

9.  Indianapolis Colts (5-5):  Following an abysmall 1-5 start, the Colts are now 5-5 with an inside track to possibly go all the way to 11-5!  That record alone will lock you in to a Wild Card spot, if not clinch the division (pending on the Houston Texans, whose hot streak began following an 0-3 start, getting their first win against the Colts of all teams).  Speaking of which, they do host the Dolphins, Cowboys, and Giants.  And then all of their remaining road games are going to be rematches against each of their division rivals--including a season finale against a Titans squad in which the loser could potentially go home.  At the very least, I do expect this team to go 8-8.  But I can definitely see a scenario in which the Colts do indeed win out.  It's definitely not outside the realm of possibility that that may happen.  I'm projecting anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5, and Andrew Luck's status as Comeback Player of the Year will be cemented.

8.  Chicago Bears (7-3):  Now we are getting into the meat and potatoes of things.  Following last night's win against the Vikings, the Bears have an incredibly high chance at making the playoffs, if not win their division.  It's not going to come easy, however; they'll have to travel to Detroit for Thanksgiving this weekend, and then they have to take on the Giants in New York.  After that, they will have to host the Rams and Packers for their final home games of the season before hittitng the road yet again to take on the 49ers and Vikings.  Outside of the 49ers,  I most certainly do not expect any of these teams to lie down and play dead against that Bears defense.  As such, my confidence in this team making the playoffs is the lowest of of all of these teams.  But even with that said, I am still projecting the Bears to finish anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4.

7.  LA Chargers (7-3):  The chances of this team snatching the division away from the Chiefs has suddenly hit a snag--even if the Chiefs do lose tonight, it won't be enough to simply win out.  Even so, their schedule does not get much easier than this.  Sure, I do think they'll beat the Cardinals next week, and they should match up well against the Bengals and Ravens.  But after that, the Chargers will then have to go to Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and Denver.  At least the Chargers have tie breakers against the Titans, Colts, and even Texans (should that ever become a factor).  So if the Chargers win the games I say they should win, then the Chargers should be locked in as a playoff team.  Projected to finish anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4.

6.  Houston Texans (7-3):  Another team that I am projecting to be a lock for a playoff berth.  Though their remaining schedule isn't quite as rosey as the Chargers, I do think the Texans match up very wel against most of these teams.  The next couple of weeks will have the Texans battling it out in rematches against the Titans and Colts--both at home.  The Cleveland Browns are also going to be sandwiched between the two teams.  I'm currently projecting the Texans to finish the season anywhere from 11-5 to 12-4, but if they somehow sweep the next batch of games, I may be ready to potentially have the Texans finish the season at a franchise best 13-3.  That might be enough to make them a Super Bowl contender if everything goes well.  And for the record, they close their season at the Jets, the Eagles, and then at home against the Jaguars.

5.  New England Patriots (7-3):  What a shocker!  The Patriots have the easiest remaining schedule out of everybody.  Ironic because sandwiched between the Patriots matchups agains the Jets, I am predicting the Patriots to lose at least one game--either at home against the Vikings or Bills (yes, really), or on the road against the Dolphins or Steelers.  As such, I am projecting the Patriots to finish the season anywhere from 11-5 to 12-4.  I'm leaning closer to 12-4.  If I somehow find myself being wrong, about my projection, then I can definitely see a scenario where the Patriots finish 13-3--especially if the Chiefs start to struggle during that period.

4.  Pittsburgh Steelers (7-2-1):  In stark contrast, the Steelers' remaining schedule is far more bloody difficult than the Patriots.  They have to go on the road to play the Broncos next week.  And after that, they have to host the Chargers and Patriots, and then go to Oakland and New Orleans.  I do think the Patriots @ Steelers will definitely come to determine pretty much the entire AFC Bracket though.  But I can definitely see the Raiders game as a possible trap game for the Steelers.  Of course, that's without taking into consideration the possiblity that the Steelers will be hosting the Bengals in a season finale in which the winner wins the division while the loser is either a Wild Card or goes home.  But with that said, I'm projecting the Steelers to finish anywhere from 10-5-1 to 12-3-1.  At the very least, I believe the Saints will simply be too much for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

3.  Kansas City Chiefs (9-1):  All I have to say is that based on their remaining schedule, I'm projecting the Chiefs to finish anywhere from 13-3 to 14-2.  Whether they win tonight's game or not.

2.  LA Rams (9-1):  The Chiefs and the Rams are so bloody close to one another that really, the ranking between these two teams will have to be updated based on the results of tonight's game.  Winner is number 2 and loser is number 3.  And that's pretty much it as far as updating my Power Rankings are concerned.  I have no idea who is going to win tonight.  And I've tried everything.  I've gone back and forth more times than I care to count.  But at the end of the day, I believe the Rams have far more reason than anybody to be pissed off and motivated to play.  Based on the ranking that I am going with, I am projecting the Rams to beat the Chiefs tonight.  Hence the reason why the Rams are still number 2 on my Power Rankings.  If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.  And should they win, they will have the opportunity to clinch the division on their bye week.  If the Seahawks lose over the Holiday weekend to the Carolina Panthers, then the Rams will be locked in as NFC West champions.  The Chiefs don't exactly have that kind of luxury yet, even if they win.  Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game, I'm projecting the Rams to finish anywhere from 13-3 to 14-2 on the year--I think the Rams' schedule is a little easier than the Chiefs at this moment.

1.  New Orleans Saints (9-1):  What more can I say about the team that is clearly the best team in football after ten weeks?  Other than that I'm projecting them to finish anywhere from 13-3 to 14-2.  Honestly, even removing the fact that they play the Panthers twice as well as the Steelers to close out their season, or any potential trap game scenarios, there's still the very real possibility that the Saints will have locked up homefield advantage by that point in time, and could very well rest their starters in the final weeks.  So yeah, my projected finish for the Saints might as well be homefield advantage throughout the Playoffs and a trip to the Super Bowl.   And possibly even an MVP award for Drew Brees.

That Cowboys team looks ready to sock some teams in the mouth.

That D

+

EWOK

giphy.gifELL289284.png

8 hours ago, Yak said:

LOL. Watching last night's game was like watching Madden on easy settings. Ridiculous.

I'm a Chi fan so I enjoy defense. That game was a tragedy. Went back and forth - was that football or basketball? I mean when the teams were inside the red zone the defenses didn't really try. Other than Chi wins the game I enjoyed the most this yr was LSU at Florida which ended 27-19 Florida. If you watch a replay you'd know what I mean. Both terrific defense and solid offense - a well balanced game.

33 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

Kapernick isn't in the NFL because he's just not good enough

I agree. His stats and results over his past three seasons as a starter with SF don’t justify his salary expectations (something most people don’t consider when comparing him to other shitty QBs in the league) 😀

Why pay Kaep $13M a season to go 3-13?

It is worth noting the reason Colin Kaepernick begun taking a knee during the National Anthem and becoming an activist hack was because not only was the 49ers organization as a whole benching him in favor of Blaine Gabbert, but because neither they nor the Broncos--the only other team in the league that expressed some interest in him--were willing to pay him a hefty sum for all of the money.  And then he opted out of his contract, and left the 49ers.  Combined with the fact that he is by far the most overrated (by the sports media) QB in the modern NFL, as well as a shitty one to boot, and then of course, the rest is history.

So if a team is willing to suck, and to get by sucking, then they might as well just hire a shitty quarterback that's simply happy to be there and happy to play than an entitled, ungrateful manchild.  This is the reason why QB's like Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert, and Brock Osweiller continue to be given second chances in spite their skill sets being drastically worse than Kaepernick.

And what's this!?  He started in a Super Bowl!?  Yeah, but his team was loaded on both sides with talent, and Jim Harbaugh--regardless of his personality traits--was a hell of a good coach for three years.  And he got there off the heels of Alex Smith.  The only full season in which he was remotely respectable was in 2013.  And even then, I saw those quarterback traits that immediately let me know that he wasn't going to be all that great.  Such as with his bad interceptions and poor decision making.  He sees this sport as an entitlement rather than a privilege.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:05 PM, AZcards77 said:

On 135th in prairie fire booooooo

My dad was treating my nephew to minibowling and a ferris wheel. Got a decent deal on the jersey.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:13 PM, Mike Gordan said:

He sees this sport as an entitlement rather than a privilege.

Have you ever read Jeff George's wikipedia page? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_George

The NFL QBs being rolled out there by some teams over the last two years are proof that if Kapernick was Brady Quinn he'd still be on an NFL roster.  I understand he's probably not an elite QB and the reason he's not on a roster is that he probably can't bring enough to the table because he's so polarizing. 

2 hours ago, Knobbe said:

Have you ever read Jeff George's wikipedia page? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_George

The NFL QBs being rolled out there by some teams over the last two years are proof that if Kapernick was Brady Quinn he'd still be on an NFL roster.  I understand he's probably not an elite QB and the reason he's not on a roster is that he probably can't bring enough to the table because he's so polarizing. 

Aw, yes.  Jeff George!  What a steaming waste of humanity, that was.  Of course, I never stated that Kaepernick was the NFL player that acted in this way.  In fact, given that he is simply the most infamous example as of late makes him a microcosm of the bigger picture when it comes to the entitlement complex of the modern NFL.  Se Le'Veon Bell as an example.  Or Eric Reid--who only got a second chance because he is one of the better position players in the league.

This is why I always disprove of these NFL teams that feel the best way to compete is to give up an arm and a leg for one or two players rather than investing in their franchise as a whole.  I'm sure making Aaron Rodgers the highest paying QB in the NFL sure is doing gangbusters for the Packers.  Same too for WR Demaryius Thomas.  Have you see those awful performances the last couple of weeks after the Broncos made the FOOLISH decision to trade him away to the Texans!?  What a bunch of hacks!

The Patriots must be cheating because Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski aren't getting paid their fair share after everything they've done, and yet they still have 5 Lomardi's and 8 Lamar Hunt trophies (out of 10).