TSB 17 NES Cartridge Help Problem - Doesnt work

Steve Moerke

Hello,

This is the 2nd time now this has happened to me. I returned the first cartridge after it only worked for about an hour. After I put it in my NES and took it out 3-4 times to play other games it stopped working. Now the 2nd TSB17 I received does not work. I put it in played 2 games and now, in the middle of the game it randomly restarted itself. Now when I try to turn the game on, the cartage will not even start up, it just has a white line across the screen. The power button just flashes. My NES has a new 72 pin connector installed in it. I have over 80 NES original cartridges and I can randomly grab any 1 of the 80 games and they will work perfectly the first time. I put in any other of my NES carts they all start right up instantly with no issues. I put in the TSB17 and get a white line. Please let me know if this is a known problem and if there is a fix? I have looked everywhere on the net and cant find any information on the subject. I also see they have stopped selling the cartridge does this mean there are know problems with the cartridges?

Thanks,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2018 at 3:18 AM, Steve Moerke said:

The power button just flashes. My NES has a new 72 pin connector installed in it. 

(not sure how versed you are with the NES console so I apologize if these suggestions are too basic)

I haven't had any issues with my TSB homebrew-carts (14-18). The flashing red light is either poor pin connector, the lockout chip or a bad cart. The white line has been an issue in games like SMB3 or homebrews, especially on the top loader.

From a troubleshooting perspective, if all your other games work fine and the TSB17 cart is the only one giving you issues then it's likely the cart. If the cart was bad and the vendor repaired it and sent the same cart back the problem is likely to persist. Do you know if the cart is a "donor" cart or a brand new cart? I received one cart which came from a donor where the pins were very dirty and required cleaning before it ran properly (meaning intermittent graphical issues or would simply hang). Just shine a flashlight and see if the connectors are dirty, cleaning is easy enough.

I've disabled the lockout chip on my consoles which I would recommend to regardless given the older consoles sometimes identifies games as unofficial thus giving the red blinking light. It's easy enough to do and shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. 

Edited by Goose