Sign in to follow this  
Bolt

WEEK 17 Pickem

One of you is getting surly / and 17 games ahead // But WILL catch back up / and- awww, fock it

Sunday, 12/31 1:00pmE.T.

Green Bay @ Detroit

Chicago @ Minnesota

Houston @ Indianapolis

Cleveland @ Pittsburgh

NYJets @ New England

Washington @ NYGiants

Dallas @ Philadelphia

4:25pmE.T.

Jacksonville @ Tennessee

Buffalo @ Miami

Cincinnati @ Baltimore

Oakland @ LAChargers

Arizona @ Seattle

San Francisco @ LARams

Carolina @ Atlanta

Kansas City @ Denver

New Orleans @ Tampa Bay

Re-cap o' WEEK 16 Borgger picks:

http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/70072-week-16-picks/?do=findComment&comment=487623

Edited by Bolt
Bolded Victors.

I'm gonna start with the morning games, and then go after the rest:

Green Bay Packers vs. Detroit Lions:  The Vikings had shut out the Packers for the first time in several decades, while the Lions greatly underachieved in the moment of truth and bumbled their way out of the playoff race prematurely.  It seems pretty likely that the Packers are not going to be playing for much pride at this point, let alone trying to win.  I think the smart thing to convince the front office to keep him on board would be for Jim Caldwell to close out the season with a clean sweep of the Packers--something the Lions have not done since, I think, 1991-1993?

Chicago Bears vs. Minnesota Vikings:  The Vikings are pretty much locked into the 2nd seed unless the Panthers happen to win their division this Sunday.  Given that the Panthers nearly lost to the Bucs, the same could also occur to the Saints.  Either way, the Vikings might find themselves valuing the first round bye so much that they'd rather get the Bears over and done with and then rest and relax the rest of their remaining two weeks sitting comfortably right behind the Eagles in the playoff pecking order.  I might change my mind if Mike Zimmer decides to rest his starters, but for right now, it has to be the Vikings.

Houston Texans vs. Indianapolis Colts:  The Colts are about as close to helplessly bumbling as they come, but at least many of their losses were close and competitive.  But not team under any circumstances has suffered as devastating a string of injuries quite like the Texans.  Deandre Hawkins is perhaps the best player on that roster right now, which is rather sad if you ask me.  They are comparatively awful to the likes of the Cleveland Browns, New York Giants, and the pre-Jimmy G 49ers in just how awful they are.  Even though I reluctantly picked them to win that game, I was sort of stunned that the Texans were able to defeat the Cardinals at all.  Only to lose their star running back for the year.  Seriously, if the Colts can't even beat a team that looks like it could have gone 0-16 in an alternate universe where what we're looking at IS the starting roster, then I don't know who could.

Cleveland Browns vs. Pittsburgh Steelers:  Come, on, Mike Tomlin!  Help make history here!  Even if the win turns out to be pointless, at the very least, make your longtime rival the utter laughingstock not just of the NFL right now, but of all time.  Make 0-16 happen, Mike!  You know deep down we all want to see it happen!  Besides, if it doesn't happen, this shit is gonna keep continuing forever and ever.  Keep in mind that 0-16 was the ultimate wake-up call that the Lions needed in order to rebound and become relevant again.

New York Jets vs. New England Patriots:  The main reason I am not putting down the Vikings and Steelers for my Survival Pool picks is because they might end up resting their starters for some reason.  This game we know the Patriots are not going to be resting their starters.  And even if the Jets defense gives Brady and Gronk some fits, it's not like the Jets offense is actually capable of doing much of anything without a somewhat competent quarterback like Josh McCown.  Have you seen how Bryce Petty played the last couple of weeks?  The Jets defense probably could have had a shot at winning both of these games thanks to the Jets' stunning defensive unit, but was let down big time thanks to the fact that they can't complete a 1st down if their lives depended on it.  Patriots, not only are you gonna get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, but unless some miracle were to come from either the Chiefs, Ravens or Jaguars, are probably making your way back to the Super Bowl....AGAIN!

Washington Redskins vs. New York Giants:  The Redskins have honestly been playing pretty well since having been eliminated from playoff contention.  The Giants on the other hand couldn't even compete with an injury- and age-ravaged Cardinals squad, and would likely get their asses handed to them by a team of special athletes in wheelchairs and with cerebral palsy.  Even though it is a home game, I'm still gonna pick the Redskins to win.

Dallas Cowboys vs. Philadelphia Eagles:  Honestly, I kind of thought this game was going to be played in Dallas.  I might consider making a change to my pick if the Eagles decided to NOT rest their starters, but rest or not, I still picked the Cowboys to win next week.  Why?  Because the Eagles have nothing to play for, and they probably don't stand much of a chance against anybody once the playoffs actually start.  This would be a pick I'd be making with utmost certainty as well had the Cowboys actually not turned the ball over three times last week and essentially allowed Russell Wilson to will his team to victory.  Still, I think the Cowboys may still feel like they have a lot to prove and it wouldn't do them any favors simply by losing.

And I'll throw in one afternoon game into the mix.  Because for whatever reason, it hasn't been flexed into the morning games for being completely pointless (are they trying to fool Jacksonville into thinking they still have something to play for?  Technically, they still do, so this isn't needed).  I do know, however, that the Chiefs will be resting their starters Sunday, so I'm probably am going to predict a victory for the Broncos over them.  It's in Denver too, so there's that.  Still, the Chiefs did draft Mahomes, who is finally getting his first start as a rookie.  So there's that.  We'll see.

The rest of the games in the afternoon timeslot are literally toss-ups with playoff repercussions for one or both teams.  Had the Panthers actually lost last weekend, I probably would have picked the Bears to win this Sunday, and for Panthers vs. Falcons to be the regular season finale with a win-and-in match broadcast for Sunday Night football.  But Cam Newton proved himself to be an exceptional superstar and helped his team rally from behind for a clean sweep over the Bucs, so now we have more afternoon games than morning games, and literally no games playing on Sunday Night.

The afternoon teams I am leaning towards?  Falcons, Broncos, Jaguars, Rams, Bills, Chargers, Seahawks, Saints, and Ravens.  The teams I am most confident in their victory, however, are the Saints and Ravens.

Green Bay @ Detroit

Chicago @ Minnesota

Houston @ Indianapolis

Cleveland Pittsburgh

NYJets @ New England

Washington @ NYGiants

Dallas @ Philadelphia

JacksonvilleTennessee

Buffalo @ Miami

Cincinnati @ Baltimore

Oakland @ LAChargers

Arizona @ Seattle

San Francisco @ LARams

Carolina @ Atlanta

Kansas City @ Denver

New Orleans @ Tampa Bay

7zNVG.gif

From what I've gathered, the Chiefs and Eagles will most definitely be resting their starters.  And I've also heard murmurs that the Rams, Vikings, and Steelers might do the same.  In hindsight, I would probably understand why the Rams would rather settle for the 4th seed rather than the 3rd seed--they probably would rather play the Panthers or Saints at home than the Seahawks if push comes to shove.  But more importantly, they'd rather play the Eagles in the divisional round than the Vikings.

We know the Patriots won't be resting their starters.  And we can assume that both the Panthers and Saints would do everything they can to try and win their division.  Especially since the Panthers are the only team that can possibly snatch the 2nd seed away from the Vikings.

That just leaves us with the Jaguars.  While the Jaguars could rest their starters, they can also pretty much decide who they would face on Wild Card weekend--the Titans or the Bills/Chargers?  I think all things considered, the Jaguars would win against any of these three teams.  I don't think they will rest their starters, but until we hear any word on the matter, we really can't assume.

Edited by Mike Gordan

23 hours ago, gojiphen malor said:

Green Bay @ Detroit

Chicago @ Minnesota

Houston @ Indianapolis

Cleveland Pittsburgh

NYJets @ New England

Washington @ NYGiants

Dallas @ Philadelphia

JacksonvilleTennessee

Buffalo @ Miami

Cincinnati @ Baltimore

Oakland @ LAChargers

Arizona @ Seattle

San Francisco @ LARams

Carolina @ Atlanta

Kansas City @ Denver

New Orleans @ Tampa Bay

Oh, ditto.

1471932773612-2129383433.png1471932773612-2129383433.png

So the Gold Medal and first place this week goes to our host, Bolt, who got it at 11-5.

Second place and the Silver Medal is a tie between myself, Bodom, and buck.

Fifth place and the Bronze Medal is also tied, but between gojiphen malor and Kamphuna.  They finished at 8-8 apiece.

And last place went to TecmoSuperFan at 7-9.

Also, because of the results of this week, I am guaranteed to finish in the top 4, in the season while Kamphuna and TecmoSuperFan cannot possibly win the overall Pick'ems.  The odds of Bolt winning this thing overall is also impossibly small, but still possible--just pick every game differently from me.  Either way, I hope to maintain a 4-game lead by the time of the Conference Championships.  Because Bodom and buck are the only other rivals I have left.

Not sure where gojiphen actually stands as far as overall ranking.  But I do know that I am still the only person with over twice as many wins as I have losses.

So far:

1.  Mike Gordan:  174-82 (I am also guaranteed less than 100 wins because of this).

2.  buck:  170-86

3.  Bodom:  169-87

4.  Bolt:  158-98

5.  TecmoSuperFan:  155-101

6.  Kamphuna:  144-112

5 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

Congratulations on winning the Gold this weekend, Bolt.

Thanks, fella!

Dude, I was just so jonesin' for that SOLO.

I knew I couldn't win the war... but just wanted a battle.

Thought I mighta paid the price, for pickin' against K.C - forgot to remember that Mahomes was starting (or I would've picked them) - but then ...

Edited by Bolt

Second place and the Silver Medal is a tie between myself, Bodom, and buck.

You can split your Silver Medallion-winning 10-6 tie into 3rds, if you want, but there shalt never be a Bronze given out for 5th place.

Not around this Track & Field race.  Not ever.  That's bush league.

Fifth place and the Bronze Medal is also tied, but between gojiphen malor and Kamphuna.  They finished at 8-8 apiece.

nope.gif?w=485&h=280

Mathematically, I agree with some of your points. 

11 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

I am still the only person with over twice as many wins as I have losses.

1.  Mike Gordan:  174-82

2.  buck:  170-86

3.  Bodom:  169-87

4.  Bolt:  158-98

5.  TecmoSuperFan:  155-101

6.  Kamphuna:  144-112

But not others...

11 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

The odds of Bolt winning this thing overall is also impossibly small, but still possible

1.  Mike Gordan:  174-82 (I am also guaranteed less than 100 wins because of this).

But it was 11pm on New Year’s Eve, so we’ll let it slide.