MAME Issue Using RetroPie

LuvtheNats

Recently got a Raspberry 3 with Retropie but am having a HUGE problem trying to get MAME roms to work.  I have tried placing them in both MAME systems, as well as the Arcade system in Retropie with no results.  Anyone have suggestions or a solution as to getting them to work.  I've look around online and everything reads like a foreign language to me.

MAME is a little bit more complicated than alot of the other emulators. You need to make sure you have the correct ROM version according to the version of MAME you are using. 

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/MAME

For example, on this page I linked, if you are using MAME 2000, you will need the MAME 0.37b5 roms. (which can be found here :https://archive.org/details/MAME0.37b5_MAME2000_Reference_Set_Update_2_ROMs_Samples)

I put them all in the 'ARCADE' folder as that seems to keep them a bit more organized. 

I hope this helps. Feel free to post again if you still are having trouble.

Wrestlefest was my main reason for messing with Arcade roms.  As long as I can get that one game to work....I'll be happy.

I am finding that working with MAME in Retropie is a MASSIVE pain.  Clearly I have a lot of reading to do because I have been fortunate enough to get some games to load properly.....but then they have no sound.....so....I don't know.  And to top it off, I noticed last night that my controller (Xbox One using Bluetooth) lags big time and in some cases freezes - rendering it useless unless I reboot the retropie.

3 hours ago, LuvtheNats said:

Wrestlefest was my main reason for messing with Arcade roms.  As long as I can get that one game to work....I'll be happy.

I am finding that working with MAME in Retropie is a MASSIVE pain.  Clearly I have a lot of reading to do because I have been fortunate enough to get some games to load properly.....but then they have no sound.....so....I don't know.  And to top it off, I noticed last night that my controller (Xbox One using Bluetooth) lags big time and in some cases freezes - rendering it useless unless I reboot the retropie.

if you're getting controller lag, you may want to see if there is an option on your TV called 'gaming mode' which will compensate for it.

Keep at it. It took me a couple tries to get mine working. That wiki page was helpful as were their forums. Not sure exactly what would cause the sound not to work, but feel free to post more of your findings here.

8 minutes ago, gojiphen malor said:

if you're getting controller lag, you may want to see if there is an option on your TV called 'gaming mode' which will compensate for it.

Keep at it. It took me a couple tries to get mine working. That wiki page was helpful as were their forums. Not sure exactly what would cause the sound not to work, but feel free to post more of your findings here.

Will do.  Thanks for all the help!

• 3 weeks later...