davefmurray

Madison, WI - 04/07/18 - Tecmo Madison XIV: In The Ware Tonight

So what's this I hear about Madison being cancelled if there aren't enough helpers? That would be a damn shame if you ask me. I wouldn't have any people playing in the tournament help. There is always that scenario where they end making it to the end and then your still without help if you know what I mean. I would say cancel the NBA Jam tournament and focus on the Tecmo tourney. The Friday Night thing is a great idea, it really is, but Tecmo has to take priority. I actually had a wild thought and I'll just pass it along so it's out there. What if Friday night was the pool play...or the majority of the pool play? Pool play always takes the longest. Many people show up Friday and you could knock out a ton of games. If you flat out said the tourney is a 2 day event, most people would either make, or they wouldn't. I'd say at least 80% of the people stay in Madison that Friday night and go to the venue. 

It would give you the next morning to set up the brackets and get everything ready. It would be the same amount of time playing wise. It would also get over much earlier Saturday so more people would more than likely stay to actually watch the finals. It's just an idea. Then you would only need the helpers primarily for Friday night when your gathering all the information for the brackets. Saturday, the brackets already set up, people play, they go here if they win, here if they lose, it's much easier to handle and your lack of helpers isn't as dire. Most players are good about helping clean up consoles and what not, but that is after the fact. In fact, if the pool play was done Friday night, you could actually clear out some of the consoles to make a little more room....or then have your NBA JAM tournament. Yes, I do realize some Tecmo players are wanting to play NBA Jam, but shit happens.

Don't cancel it though. If anything, drop the NBA Jam tournament for now. It can always be added again next year. Just my 2 cents. 

On 11/14/2017 at 10:45 AM, RetroNathan said:

Assuming here, and correct me if I'm wrong, it would work out like this:

Player A: 1-1 +3 PT diff: 21-14 over C, 20-24 against B

Player B: 1-1 +3 PT diff: 24-20 over A, 20-21 against C

Player C: 1-1 -6 PT diff: 14-21 against A, 21-20 over B

Players A and B would technically be in a two-way tie and have a one game playoff. 

The one game playoff sounds cool. Might it be weird to play a guy again that you either already won or loss against? Perhaps a head to head tie breaker would be better?

12 hours ago, TSBglory91 said:

The one game playoff sounds cool. Might it be weird to play a guy again that you either already won or loss against? Perhaps a head to head tie breaker would be better?

This is within the confines of your group so you would need to face a familiar opponent to get through as each group produces 1 gold, 1 silver, and 1 bronze participant.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:11 AM, davefmurray said:

The first ever 2v2 online Tecmo game was just played.. It was amazing. Here are 3 not so highlight highlights. The first ever play in 2v2 history was a flea flicker that burned them both. I ran oob because I was laughing so hard.
Yes, these plays are garbage. It was just proof of concept.

Online garbage 🤣

On 2/6/2018 at 8:46 PM, Spring Break Vet said:

You heard it here first...2018 is the year that George S., aka The People's Champ, gets Madison Tecmo win numero uno!  #StoneColdLock

The Vet returns!

giphy.webp

On 2/6/2018 at 4:42 PM, sonofpatbeach said:

No Burning Mort trophies in the background? Sacrilege.

Dave threw the Burning Mort trophy into the eye of a Hurricane and it dissolved into a double rainbow. 

On 2/6/2018 at 5:42 PM, sonofpatbeach said:

No Burning Mort trophies in the background? Sacrilege.

54 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

Dave threw the Burning Mort trophy into the eye of a Hurricane and it dissolved into a double rainbow. 

The force of the conjurer's metal celebration creation overcame the storm and saved millions of humans. Scientists are researching how to properly extract the powersees of the Mortsees from said creation.

As good of a run that Legalize Kemp had last season, with the NBA's trade deadline coming to a close, it only makes sense that @DT. would trade a contending partner, for a rebuilding one.  Hopefully the power "jeremy" will create an "even flow" of a transition game keeping us "alive" before the never ending fade to "black"

Hi all,

So after several years of wanting to play in the Madison tournament (I think we started looking at it around 2008), three of us from Texas (Houston area) are finally able to make the trip for this year's Tecmo Madison XIV.  We've all played since original release so we figure it's time to make the trip up north to take that trophy home to Texas.

We registered for the tourney and booked our flights to arrive early Friday April 6th, but I have few questions I haven't been able to find answers for, hoping I can get some help from you guys, so here goes:

1.) I've read a few threads that mention "practice games in the hotels" prior to tournament play on Saturday.  Can someone please help elaborate on this?  Is there a particular hotel this happens at?  Is there someone to contact to play in these practices sessions?  We've never played in an official tournament, so would be nice to get a few games in prior to Saturday morning.

2.) Do we need to pack an bring our NES/controllers/cartridges to compete in these practice games (or the tournament itself)?  Is the equipment at the tournament reliable or is there an advantage to bringing our own controllers at least?  Obviously, it be easier to bring equipment if this was within driving distance, but prefer not to bring on a plane if possible.

3.) How does the seeding for the pools work, specifically in regards to newcomers being seeded?  Is there some inherent disadvantage to newcomers such as being placed in brackets with high seeded regional winners or something, or is the pool play randomly seeded?

4.) Is the venue in a downtown area within walking distance to other bars/restaurants/nightlife?  None of us have ever been to Wisconsin, so just curious what the area is like.

5.) What is the consequence if someone actually does "lurch"?  It'd be nice to see some kind of video explaining exactly what is considered against the rules when a player controls a DL, as it seems to be a grey area if you circle the DL out and back in, if someone has a link.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to meeting fellow Tecmo bowlers!

Seamo

38 minutes ago, seamo said:

So after several years of wanting to play in the Madison tournament (I think we started looking at it around 2008), three of us from Texas (Houston area) are finally able to make the trip for this year's Tecmo Madison XIV.  We've all played since original release so we figure it's time to make the trip up north to take that trophy home to Texas.

We registered for the tourney and booked our flights to arrive early Friday April 6th, but I have few questions I haven't been able to find answers for, hoping I can get some help from you guys!

Hey, man! Glad to have you coming out!

1) Hotel games - There are no "official" meet-ups. The best thing to do is come to Registration @ Friday Night Retro. From there, you'll get all setup for Saturday, can play as many TSB games as possible and meet up with other groups as they head off to the hotels to keep playing games.

2) Equipment - You do not need your own equipment. We supply necessary stuff. If you are picky about your controller, bring it. If you have a few carts, bring those too. We always need backups.

3) Seeding - The unknown players are all rated equally and distributed at random. This is a seeded tournament so the #1 is the best player in Tecmo right now and all the way down to say #200. #201-264 will more than likely all be first timers. If they have no other tourney experience that we have access to results, they are distributed at random.

4) Venue - yes, this year we are downtown on part of the main strip. It is central to lots and lots of nightlife.

5) Lurching - There is no grey area. When using DL, you must popcorn/bump/grapple someone on the OL or go outside the entire line as shown in this pic.
lurching-1.gif

Rule penalties: Any broken rules other than Rule #11 will be left to the judges to deem consequence. Typically, first offense is a warning, a second is a reduction in score, a third will be forfeiture of the game and fourth banned from the tournament.

Any other rule issues --> http://tecmomadison.com/rules/

Fire away any more questions and make sure to find me and say hello!

I have a question about lurching. I always thought it just meant immediately diving from the snap with a DL. But when playing recently I took a DE up and into the backfield to stop a run up the middle and was called out for lurching. If I run the defender up and into the backfield before diving at the RB is that not kosher either?

6 minutes ago, Beef Juice said:

I have a question about lurching. I always thought it just meant immediately diving from the snap with a DL. But when playing recently I took a DE up and into the backfield to stop a run up the middle and was called out for lurching. If I run the defender up and into the backfield before diving at the RB is that not kosher either?

^ This is not lurching.

You can absolutely go after an RB.