Stat Goals

Matthew94

I find it fun to play a season of TSB with particular (and hopefully challenging) goals in mind.

I just finished a season with New England (on the new updated rosters rom) trying to get as many players over 1,000 yards receiving as possible.

I got to 7, but I had 2 other players very close (maybe 1 game away). I made some mistakes during the year, so I think it is possible to get all 10 eligible receivers over 1,000 (though that would be extremely challenging I think). 

Has anyone else tried (accomplished?) that?

I'm going to try to get all 10 eligible receivers over 1,000 yards. 

I'm going to work with Green Bay first. I think the right strategy is to get some of the terrible players mixed in early in the season so they're not the lone options late in the year.

I failed again

I only got 6 eligible receivers to 1,000 with Green Bay

But I was actually closer than I was with New England because I had two guys in the 900's and two other guys in the 700's

And I still made mistakes (I accidently got one guy over 1,100 yards

I had one really terrible game where I didn't even throw for 300 yards. Everyone was almost always covered.

On 10/4/2017 at 10:20 AM, Knobbe said:

It might seem counterproductive but losing games helps as the computer AI gets worse 

Thanks... I definitely noticed it getting harder and harder as the season went on. But I never actually knew that for sure about the AI

I will try again with the Saints I think. 

EDIT:  I just re-read your original post and realized that you were trying to get 10 guys over 1,000, not 7.  I think I read 7 in another post and assumed that was the target.  So I guess I didn't not complete the challenge as stated below.  I think if I really tried, I could get to 8, tops.  Had fun trying, though...

OK - not sure which ROM you are using, but I used the official TB.org ROM (5 min Qtrs) and did this fairly easily with Brady and the Pats.  I was able to get 7 guys over 1,000 receiving yards (Gillislee, White, Hogan, Gronk, Amendola, Mitchell, Cooks) - and had I paid attention, I may have gotten 8.  Had the challenge completed by the final game so I started on Lewis and got 1/2 way there.  Burkhead also stole a few receptions.  I lost one game to Miami because (1) Brady was injured (2) I was playing half-assed defense toward the end.

A few things that helped:

- Brady, of course.  I haven't looked at all the QB ratings, but not sure I could have done it without a Brady or Rodgers caliber QB.

- Get to know 1-2 pass plays really well.  WR progression, check down options on picked plays, etc.

- Try to get the less talented players out of the way first and save the better players for later in the season when you must start forcing throws and need some CCs/avoid INTs.

- Don't advance punt or kickoff returns.  Run back if you can and try to start drives inside your own 10.  (*I didn't run backwards with RBs to maximize receiving yards, only did this on special teams... actually, I didn't pick Runs at all).

- Get out of bounds to prevent fumbles and loss of stats.  This happened to me a couple of times on long receptions.

Tecmo2018_rev0-0.thumb.png.d3e7dbd256deb13acaf588e4ed2d2a47.png

Edited by Bodom

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bodom!

Glad someone else tried this!

I still think it might be possible to get 10 if everything went perfectly. I'm going to keep trying. I agree with your tips

1) I am only going to try with Brady, Rodgers, Brees probably

2) I basically use 2-3 pass plays all season long

3) I, too, start with the worst players

4) I, too, go backwards on kickoffs (to about the 6 yard line usually)

5) I learned early to get out of bounds once i knew I couldn't score

What was your kickoff strategy? I basically onside kick every time and hope to either recover OR have them return it for a touchdown

What was your defensive strategy? I basically tried to sack (though I haven't been using the Nose Tackle) the QB every play to force punts. If I failed, I preferred to allow quick TD's.

I didn't get to play much on vacation, but I plan to get back into my attempt with the Saints soon

34 minutes ago, Matthew94 said:

What was your kickoff strategy? I basically onside kick every time and hope to either recover OR have them return it for a touchdown

Mostly onside kicks, but I changed it up depending upon opponent and game situation.  I was also trying to win every game, so if the game was close in the 2nd half, I'd kick full bar and play D.  I know this hindered the ultimate goal, but I couldn't help it.  Also, if my D was juiced, I'd try to kick it deep and go for the safety to get the ball back quicker.  But I'd say 80% onside kicks.

34 minutes ago, Matthew94 said:

What was your defensive strategy? I basically tried to sack (though I haven't been using the Nose Tackle) the QB every play to force punts. If I failed, I preferred to allow quick TD's.

Same strategy here, although I never lurched.  I've always hated the NT dive play... so cheap... so I've never been able to bring myself to do it, even on challenges.  I would mostly blitz or try to stop the run with a LB.  I think there were 1 or 2 rare cases where, again, I was tied late and was trying to win the game, so I'd play honest D (which probably hurt the challenge goal).

I finished my season with the Saints just now

I was able to get 9 receivers over 1,000 yards

Only Adrian Peterson was left, with about 350 yards. 

i went over, with other receivers, by about 750 yards total. So the goal is doable. I just need to be more careful.

I was using the nose tackle to make things a bit easier in the 2nd half of the season

I also purposefully missed a lot of extra points to force some overtimes which gave me more time to gain yards

I wasn't really trying to win, but I went 12-2-2

I failed again (this time with the Falcons)

I had 8 players over 1,000.

The backup TE was 31 yards away

And I put Julio Jones in too late, he ended up about 165 yards short

It's definitely doable, so I'm going to keep working at it till I get it. Ryan was pretty inaccurate compared to Brady, so I'm switching back to NE

A new strategy I developed is to run out of bounds at the 1 sometimes and kick a field goal. This allows me to keep the score close and try to manipulate overtime. I found it's actually pretty hard to force overtime, but it does add another element of 'fun' trying to stay tied all the time.

I fell short yet again. 

I had 9 players over 1,000

But Rex Burkhead fell just under 200 yards short

I probably should have played him more earlier in the season. He was in bad condition during the last game when I needed him to get about 500 yards, haha

The crazy thing is I was going pretty strong through 3 quarters. But the 4th quarter was terrible.

I accomplished my goal of getting all 10 eligible receivers over 1,000 yards

I was the 49ers on the original rom

It wasn't easy at all. It came down to completing an 80+ yard bomb to Rice on the very last play after a fumble recovery. The Bears made it difficult because they were covering Rice and Taylor (the only 2 guys I had left to get over 1,000) deep pretty well most of the game. I had to get Taylor about 240 yards and Rice about 300 yards. I thought it'd be easier (since I average over 600 yards passing a game easily), but it was harder when you have to keep all your focus on 2 WR's and refrain from using the check downs. To make matters worse, Rice was in bad condition.

But I did it. And I'll probably take a break now since that was my 6th try. I'll either try to do it with a different team or come up with a new goal. In any case, that one was fun and I'd encourage others to try.