Portland, OR - 01/27/18 - J.J.'s Birden

DT.

jimBrownRun_576_.thumb.jpg.89ab3a026e674b648f547c92682d8973.jpg

1960 Cleveland Browns

For: Historians

Not For: 2017

Power Rank: 13

BURP: 23

Long before the Cleveland Browns became a laughing stock, they were the class of football. Starting in the AAFC in 1946, the Cleveland Browns, led by Paul Brown fielded some form of excellent team all the way through til his last season there in 1965. That was also the year GOAT candidate Jim Brown somewhat surprisingly called it quits after nine seasons of excellence. He pretty much wrecked shop the whole time. Any of his teams would have been enjoyable additions to this party. I went with this '60 unit, because it was fellow HOFer Bobby Mitchell's best year as a Brown. They amazingly shared this backfield. Mitchell did plenty of damage on the ground but made most of his contribution catching passes and in fact would later be moved to WR full time with Washington. 

Scouting Report

The combination of Brown and Mitchell means major intrigue for this offense. QB Milt Plum is above average and the receiving core is just alright. Keep in mind you have Mitchell at your disposal if you need. Defensively, they are devoid of big stars, but every player in the lineup is functional. The BURP is likely not a tremendous fan of this team due to its relative lack of total studs, but they have an excellent OL and don't forget about future star QB Len Dawson waiting in the wings on the bench.

Aside from big bad Jim Brown, there are few stars here, but I think they are an overall strong squad that should be considered for selection.

jets.thumb.jpg.9f12b72b43d48fc77714a07ef6f4cf13.jpg

1968 New York Jets 

For: Lettin it ride

Not For: Playin it safe

Power Rank: 12

BURP: 14

When Joe Namath of Alabama signed with the New York Jets to become the highest paid football player ever in 1965, the writing was on the wall for the AFL and NFL to merge one day. Four seasons in, the Namath's Jets would emerge as the champs of the AFL and get the league's 3rd crack at the NFL champs in Superbowl III. No one gave them much chance. The AFL was still not firmly entrenched in the public conscience and the previous tilts had offered little evidence the two leagues were in the same class. The Colts of '68 were one of Don Shula's mightiest, but Joe Namath, who never gave a single fuck about a thing his entire life, had watched the tape, knew how good his teammates were, and wasn't about to back down from a challenge. He said "We're gonna win the game. I guarantee it." ...and the modern era of football was born.

Scouting Report

The Jets of '68 are strong across the board. Defensively, few really stand out, but every player is at least average if not above. LBs Gerry Philbin and Larry Grantham lead the charge. Offensively, Matt Snell leads a solid chain-moving backfield. Joe Namath is less sharp then some of the other elite passers on the ROM, but compensates a bit with excellent pass speed. The strength of the team is the pair of elite WRs- George Sauer and Don Maynard. Pete Lammons is a good target at TE as well.

This team is just very strong overall. They may not have the one individual superstar that the remaining teams have, but Broadway Joe takes a backseat to no one.

colts.thumb.jpg.df1eb73296d3949a80a3bc3ed5e39c29.jpg

2004 Indianapolis Colts

For: Offense

Not For: Defense

Power Rank: 11

BURP: 17

Peyton Manning pretty much just woke up and pissed excellence during his time in the NFL. The playoffs perhaps did not always go his teams' way. They did get the big Superbowl win finally in '06 when guys like Bob Sanders turned the Colts defense into something other than a turnstile, but I'm going back to when their offense was at its most ruthless and their defense was unfortunately, but perhaps enjoyably, about its worst. This is the season that Peyton broke Marino's longstanding record with 49 TD passes. Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and incredibly, slot receiver extraordinaire Brandon Stokley, all had over 1,000 yards and 10 TDs. That is bonkers.

Scouting Report

What really puts this offense in the stratosphere is that not only did they have the unstoppable pass attack, but Edgerrin James as a big time RB. If you want to shelve Stokely and get more blocking in the mix, you can do so with TEs Dallas Clark and Marcus Pollard, or mix in Dominic Rhodes who is another nice RB. The defense is bad. The only thing between them and the Saints' sad showing on this ROM is that you have one all-world player, DE Dwight Freeney who in the TSB 3-4 mans the top LB spot.

The fact that they have Freeney and that Edgerrin is pretty nasty probably makes this the team of choice over New Orleans for the run and gunner out there, but Manning and Brees did battle in '09 and Brees got the upper hand so... I'll I'm saying is maybe think it over before making your selection.

Dirty summary of remaining teams from the special rom counting down from my #10 power rank to #1

1998 San Francisco 49ers

-Last season for Steve Young. 

-Owens, Rice, Garrison Hearst.. strong veteran defense

1957 Detroit Lions

-Last Championship squad for Detroit

-Incredible turnover creating D led by HOFers .Jack Christiansen, Yale Lary, and Joe Schmidt. Scrappy O led by Bobby Layne at QB.

1962 New York Giants

-Lost Championship game to Packers

-Y.A. Tittle leads high flying O. Defense stacked and turnover hungry.

1993 Dallas Cowboys

-2nd consecutive title for Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys

-The triplets at peak powers and nice, fast defense.

1976 Oakland Raiders

-After years of contending, this team finally broke through with title

-Defense is ruthless. Offense is rock solid + homerun hitter Cliff Branch.

2013 Seattle Seahawks

-Team that took Seattle by storm, destroyed Manning's Broncos for SB victory

-You know about the defense. The BEAST and DangeRUSS lead the O.

1999 St. Louis Rams

-Best Rags to Riches title team in NFL history

-Marshall Faulk does it all. Kurt Warner comes off the bench to throw darts to the likes of Isaac Bruce.

1972 Miami Dolphins

-STILL the only undefeated team in NFL history

-Unstoppable running attack with strong pass attack and very strong defense.

1961 Green Bay Packers

-First title winning team for Vince Lombardi

-FB Jim Taylor is a beast joined by very solid supporting cast and all-world defense.

I will try to provide some nice details and perhaps some more ADVANCED METRICS so everyone feels comfortable selecting their team tomorrow, but feel free to do your own research by downloading the rom and popping it into an emulator.

Seeya tomorrow Tecmoheads!

Greats.nes

These guys lol. @~Tailback King~And @XtraLargent had @DT. flummoxed on multiple occasions. From leaving a game with 1:50 left and DT down 16 10 VS BWagg for some kind of break, to their epic tie scenario (which is what that screen shows) which took extraordinarily long, to just being straight up loud mouth Donkeys. #PortlandTecmo 

That was a new height of shenanigans from @XtraLargent and @~Tailback King~

So many crazy things happened yesterday but without question #1 was when BWagg summoned TBK for a beer break? Or something? I was too dumbfounded to know but it was like a full 10 minute break... I was up 16-10 on TBK with his Browns driving on my Seahawks. He came back, fired a TD to Slaughter, then I somehow responded with a drive of my own and a winning FG despite being thoroughly rattled by the circumstance and Brandon and Rudy's chirping. Incredible tournament and that was one of many amazing games. That was probably what stood out more than anything. I saw and was involved in a bunch of exciting games.

What else...

James Brooks is the Future. That kid was awesome. 10 yrs old and holding his own. "Nightmare" and "Neckbeard" were two other new faces that brought it. "Boy Toy" the straggler who got in the mix... That was cool.

TBK is PROBABLY getting smarter with his matchup calls. CLE-SEA was a surprise and he had me up against the ropes. I don't know how impressed I should be by his win vs Matt. WTF was @gripsmoke thinking calling Dal-KC?? He def got screwed with NES malfunctions twice, somewhat marring an otherwise strong showing from the hometown kid. #PukeAndRally

Great quotes from the group all day but my favorite was when in the first game of the day, TBK fumbled then one of his dudes scooped it and scored and he said semi-seriously "Has that ever happened in the history of Tecmo??" and then everyone said "uh... yeah" then he got a safety soon after and said "Has THAT ever happened in the history of Tecmo???" then everyone kept saying "Has that ever happened in the history of Tecmo??" everytime something mildly interesting happened...

But at the end of the day, something I GUARANTEE that has never happened in the history of Tecmo... happened.... @Tick won back to back games elimination games vs @ptitteriand myself, both in OT when he went for the kick on 3rd down, got it blocked, recovered, then hit the winner on 4th...... The 2nd of which, came with some ghostage from David Treadwell.... We will never know what happened there.......

But congrats to everyone for great competition and especially Tick, Grip and @kamphuna8 who rose above the chaos for a long overdue major championship victory. I blame the deliciousness of Laurelwood Workhorse IPA for anything that was less than ideal with the organization of this event, but I suppose it wouldn't be a PNW Tecmo Tournament if everything was smooth and sober. Let's do it again soon.

• DFM unpinned this topic

Some final standings from this bitch-

OLYMPIC DIVISION

Gripsmoke 5-1

DT 4-1

Tailback King 4-2

Tick 2-4

James Brooks 1-5

Boy Toy 0-5

CASCADE DIVISION

Kamphuna 6-0

ptitteri 5-1

Nigerian Nightmare 2-4

XtraLargent 2-4

Shermy80 1-5

Neckbeard 1-5

CONSOLATION BRACKET

Brooks def Beard

Shermy def Brooks

CONSOLATION CHAMPION

Shermy80 

DOUBLE ELIMINATION

Grip def X

Pete def TBK

DT def Night

Kamp def Tick

X def TBK

Tick def Night

Grip def Pete

Kamp def DT

DT def X

Tick def Pete

Kamp def Grip

Tick def DT

Grip def Tick

Grip def Kamp

Kamp def Grip

PORTLAND CHAMPION

Kamphuna

As for the Knockout- 

ORDER OF SELECTION

James Brooks - Miami Dolphins '72

Nigerian Nightmare - Green Bay Packers '61

Neckbeard - Seattle Seahawks '13

Shermy80 - Oakland Raiders '76

Tailback King - Chicago Bears '65

Boy Toy - Philadelphia Eagles '60

XtraLargent - St Louis Rams '99

Kamphuna - Dallas Cowboys '93

Tick - Minnesota Vikings '98

ptitteri - San Francisco 49ers '98

DT - Detroit Lions '57

Gripsmoke - Indianapolis Colts '04

1st ROUND

Green Bay 24 Seattle 0

Dallas 17 Green Bay 7

Oakland 24 Philly 7

Minnesota 17 Detroit 10

Indianapolis 17 San Francisco 16

Chicago 17 St Louis 7

2nd ROUND

Dallas 44 Minnesota 14

Oakland 28 Miami 14

Indianapolis 35 Chicago 23

CHAMPIONSHIP

Indianapolis def Dallas

GRIPSMOKE

The COLTS win it all. Best of the Best!

This was a big success in my opinion. The next one will be bigger!

I seriously considered all out RETIREMENT after getting eliminated from the tournament playoffs without even losing (a fukk!n TIE) ..but that isn't my style.  A tie shouldn't cause a double elimination and that whole shady ass scenario was FUCC!N WEAK.  If I took one thing away from that BULL$#!T, it's that you can't leave it up to the fucc!n REFS, just win so they can't say $#!t.  There needs to be some kinda CONCRETE RULE devised for when this situation happens or I ain't steppin' foot in Washington for another Tourney again.

Sincerely,

~T.B.K

(p.s.  All and all, it was a great tournament until it got marred by that bull$#!t elimination call at the end)

Edited by ~Tailback King~

23 hours ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

I seriously considered all out RETIREMENT after getting eliminated from the tournament playoffs without even losing (a fukk!n TIE) ..but that isn't my style.  A tie shouldn't cause a double elimination and that whole shady ass scenario was FUCC!N WEAK.  If I took one thing away from that BULL$#!T, it's that you can't leave it up to the fucc!n REFS, just win so they can't say $#!t.  There needs to be some kinda CONCRETE RULE devised for when this situation happens or I ain't steppin' foot in Washington for another Tourney again.

Sincerely,

~T.B.K

(p.s.  All and all, it was a great tournament until it got marred by that bull$#!t elimination call at the end)

I'm still recovering from the two of you guys' whirlwind debacle to explain this thoroughly here. I just want the Tecmo community to know that rules were explained and rules were followed. I don't appreciate this.

That being said, it was weak. I'd be pissed too.There is no real good options for what happens when the game freezes.