Tecmo Super Bowl Music Location

Knobbe

The code starts at 36010 and ends at 4000F, which is a 4k chunk. (without the ines header, this is 36000-3FFFF)

Encluded is the NSF version of the file. An NSF is basically a way of taking a music file out of a rom for playing. The first 7 lines are header followed by the music file. The file doesn't match up because the songs have been optimized/rearranged. This however, should help to determine where the pointers are for the songs and allow us at some point to change the music.

I believe the pointers to be located around the 36500 or so.

tsb nsf.zip

Yeah, I've had the NSF file for a while now. The physical music info inside the ROM is extremely easy to find. However, I have not even one iota of musical talent or knowledge so I haven't done much on this subject.

Here is an excerpt from one of my emails:

Music #4 is x3A155 to x3A5A6

Pointers: 04 75 A2 05 5C A4 06 52 A1 07 F2 A4 FF

04 (Square #1) = x3A285 to x3A46B

05 (Square #2) = x3A46C to x3A501

06 (Triangle) = x3A162 to x3A284

07 (Noise) = x3A502 to x3A5A6

The pointer system is sound channel and location. 04 75 A2, swap to A275. Add 10 for the header and x3 in the front since it is in the same bank. So A275 is pointed to x3A285.

Square #1 is generally the main beat, Square #2 is generally the back beat, and Triangle is generally the bass from the main instrument like a piano, guitar, or whatever while Noise is the drum beat from a drum, cymbal, or whatever.

If you want to isolate a particular channel then you can copy its info over the other so they don’t get played. For example, to just play Square #1 you would change the pointers to 04 75 A2 04 75 A2 04 75 A2 04 75 A2 FF.

• 12 years later...