Tournament Abundance

Tecmo Tournament abundance  

40 members have voted

1. 1. I just saw how many Tecmo tournaments there have been and that are upcoming and post this for the pure betterment of Tecmo. My question is do you think this is good for Tecmo, or does it water down participation at what could be denser fields with fewer tournaments?

• Good for Tecmo
    • Waters down participation

I'll be interested to read what others think on this subject. 

Live tournaments can be a positive to the community, but I do understand the opposite point which is that having a concentration of tournaments in an area or around a date lessens the potential pool of participants to any one tournament. 

I don't think the number of tournaments is a problem. I think the lack of cohesion between all tournaments is a problem. If that then means there are too many, then yes, there are too many.

You don't really see that it's a problem I think it's if anything a good thing. It's not like we're all 16 year old kids without jobs that can go to everything sometimes it's hard to make dates being adults and everything. If I was a high-profile athlete and felt pressured to go to all of them then yes. And for Tecmo Dallas and Cleveland to be on the same weekend was a stretch for people to say they should have been on different weekends. They're seriously like on opposite sides of the planet

I think you are totally right. It is the same 12 guys in your neck of the woods. Columbus, Green Bay, Cleveland, and Cincinnati all had tourneys within say 6 weeks of each other. That is the problem. Not tournaments in other regions.

I'm glad Reg brought this up. This has been a constant conversation I've been having in private with too many of you. I'm all for spreading it out and am all for helping accomplish it.

Abundance isn't a problem in my part of the country... :-P. But honestly I'm kinda torn on whether its good or bad. 

Smaller tourneys are easier logistically to run and may actually offer more quality games overall depending on who shows up. More tourneys also means that people would at least be able to find one that fits their schedule.  Two tourney's that are geographically close on the same weekend or back to back weekends that end up splitting  players...well that's probably not ideal.

The larger the tourney the more attention its gonna get and the more "prestige" its going have attached if you win it. It also may have a potentially deeper field. But you also have to deal with a lot of "filler" games if you are a good player. That's not really a good thing for the good player or the bad player. 

I think it's a great that people had to decide "am I doing Cleveland or Dallas this weekend?".  So many tournaments in Ohio over a relatively short span(for example) may lend to there being less top level competition in general at each event, and making them less prestigious.  The weaker field may indeed be good to help the less experienced player have a decent showing...and perhaps provoke them to return the next time.   

It's a good problem to have.  And it would be better to coordinate your date with tecmobowl.org, especially if you are trying to make it a big one.   But I don't think we want to discourage people posting tournies/tecmo meet ups if 75% of the guys going are just mutual friends anyways.

Heard this story on news and I think it applies.  Nashville Hot Chicken got huge recently from a reginal dish to KFC selling it.  One would think it may hurt the orginal Nashville Chicken places but it actually increased demand as people had the KFC version and want to get authentic dish.

Lots going on in the world is crazy but I can get behind a world that has more spicy chicken and tecmo...

I think it is good but coordinating dates is also important. I did think about that when setting Up Millard's Mayhem. Nothing was happening in August in the WI, IA, IL, MN region.  I like having one in Minnesota because we have a lot of local players in Minnesota and I have my brothers and friends who like playing and actually get to play more than two games and not have to spend an outrageous amount of money.  

Plus I think you get to know some of the other Tecmo players better.  I would have never really talked to the Schultes and Kramer brothers, Rico, Mort, Peters, etc as much in bigger tourneys because to much is going on and I hang out with my brothers and college buddies.  

Plus each tourney has its own pizzaz which makes it authentic.  It gives good ideas to other tourneys to make quality tournaments.

I think having around 32 players though is important too.  It makes the gameplay exciting and brings the madness to Tecmo.  

Also having good equipment and extra equipment helps as well. You shouldn't rely on to many others.  I had most of the equipment but Segathon helped with the NBA JAM which he did straight out of his own heart.  Awesome guy.  RetroNathan who was a another great help and did it out of pure kindness by bringing his system and helping with bracket.  Organization and being prepared is key.

Overall,  I would say let's keep them up.  Fellowship is important and online doesn't not compare to playing on a CRT with a classic NES in a bar or venue and having fun.  It keeps the man cards from expiring.

Mickey: "If you catch this chicken, you can catch grease lighting.

Rocky: " I feel like the Kentucky Fried Idiot."

Edited by SammieSmith33

1 hour ago, SammieSmith33 said:

I think it is good but coordinating dates is also important. I did think about that when setting Up Millard's Mayhem. Nothing was happening in August in the WI, IA, IL, MN region. 

This is the key point to all of the discussion. If there is a tournament in Texas and one in Ohio on the same weekend, theoretically, the local impact on both tournaments is minimal from a local player perspective. One may be more "prestigious" or run by a group that can pull in travelling players, but more likely, local and regional players will play in their local and regional tournaments. Tournaments running back to back to back isn't an issue if those tournaments are in WA, CA, LA, NY, and AZ since the overlap of players is minimal.

But...

If @SammieSmith33 didn't check the schedule and happened to run Mayhem the same week or a week on either side of an Iowa tournament that would impact both as players make a decision on which tournament to play in if work schedules and cost are a factor. It feels like regional schedule conflicts should be hammered out first and foremost before thinking about the wider implication of two tournaments on the same weekend in different regions of the country. 

And someone make a tournament in California happen - I'm tired of hearing @bruddog complain about not having live competition :-P

First of all we all dropped.the ball.in Madison when @davefmurray was trying to have an meeting with tournament directors the friday b4 tourney. @mort1237 and @joeygats stayed up to 4am playing tecmo night b4. Me and@mort1237 just cancel.our buffalo tourney mainly because of lack of Local Players. We changed the format drastically to encourage this is all about having fun. They key to.getting newer.players is making it fun as possible. The Cleveland tourney drawed plenty.of new.players so.it is possible to do. I realized there were too.many tecmo tourneys going already on so I drastically changed the format on a whim too woo the local buffalo.players to play in all around nes+sega format. Plus a local radio station hosts an Local tecmo tourney every year that dumbs down the tecmo via qualifing vs cpu and cant change your playbook. So the few experienced can easily run wild in this type of format esp. with newer players running dead plays ( Reverses etc). So they get sick.of it and don't learn anything. 

Segathon and I were also talking about this.  When you have friends or new players sign up and I know the thrill of victory is important but help some of the new guys with setting up play books and some of the fundamentals of the game. I made that announcement in Millard's Mayhem and it was good to see that happening before and after games.  We can build a bigger fan base and more participation based on that as well.  Destroying some one you know you are going to beat really doesn't make it worth while.  Let them enjoy the past of the greatest sports game ever made.

Making it as fun as possible is key.  I had lot  of free raffle prizes and everyone made bracket play.  Most of these guys just want to play and maybe get one victory under the belt.

Edited by SammieSmith33

I can see both sides.  For me, honestly, its not necessarily where the tournament is, but who I would/could play.  So I'd much rather at this point look at the bigger tourneys and particularly those with elite players (outside of the ones within 20-30 min of me obviously). 

I think spacing tourneys out, as well as unique formats, would assist in making the tourneys larger/more successful. 

13 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

Yeah I hate the "point diff" killings of noobs to get a higher 3-0 seed when it's bracket seeding time.

The first two years.of Buffalo bounty we made supergroups to avoid this. Everyone played similar skilled.players in group play. You only do this if its 32 or less.people and guarantee that everyone makes single elimination bracket.

Long ago in the dark days of Madison (pre-Tecmo Madison VII or so) we had a huge discussion about splitting the tournament up into a Pros and Joes format - the pros would be the high end tourney vets, online vets, and those who play the game regularly with known guys, the Joes would be your average noob. The idea was to get all the Joes in one location and have them fight it out in a fairly open format with minimal buy in and maximum experience/fun levels. The Pros would have the highly seeded, highly regulated, highly organized formats that allowed the highest level of competition between high end, quality players. 

We ditched it almost immediately because we couldn't see a large group of guys voluntarily saying "I'm terrible at this, am here for the beer, and just want to have fun a play a bunch of Tecmo." We asked around just in case we were wrong and overwhelmingly received the opinion of noobs and noob-ish players that they would rather get destroyed by Regulator 55-0 then play with other low end players. 

IMO, that opinion is madness. Its one thing to want to play the best to get better, I understand that and applaud it, its how we all got better at the game. Its another to willing walk into Madison, get destroyed by Regulator and a third tier player who's still 2 tds short of Regulator and think that's a worthwhile experience. 

I would have to say it depends on the end goal of the organizer.  If the goal is to be a destination annual tournament that draws lots of travelers and top talent(Tundra Bowl, Midwest Tecmo, Kumite, etc), then communication with other organizers is important to try and not dilute the talent pool, especially if you are in the same state as another notable tournament.

If your objective is to get some buddies together, and open it to the public to get a better player base/payout, I'm not in the opinion that this hurts anyone.  In fact, it probably helps recruit more players into online play, and eventual larger local tournament play.  While it does help to avoid other overlapping tournaments in your area, you'd be surprised how many people still break out this game with buddies, and have no idea this site or community even exists, or that there is a serious tournament in their state.  More exposure increases the likelihood they get connected to us.

We are also seeing more and more events tied to larger gaming events.  The Dallas tournament, Millard's Mayem, the Long Island Gaming Expo, were all tied to larger gaming events, and sometimes you are at the mercy of such things.

Mort Nate and Rico coming to our casual GBLAN 3rdbeebe tournament was mainly a warm up to the bigger fish, mainly Cleveland and Millard's Mayhem.  I knew full well my event wouldn't deter anyone from attending something grander.

Go Tecmo!

I decided to host Iowa Tecmo because the elite players in my area have to travel 185, 250, and 300 miles for us to meet up to play in a competitive tournament with more than just my local group.  The other dozen players in the novice category are looking to have fun, try their luck, see if this is a hobby they'd like to continue (aka growing the game).

My intention is not to draw players from Madison, Minn, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indy, Cincy, Cleveland.... and also understand that with that mindset my tournament will never have more than 46 participants. As for cohesiveness.  Tomczak Bowl and I negotiated dates to avoid conflict.  The 11/11 Iowa Tecmo conflicts with NY tourney... but its safe to say that nobody is upset about staying in their own timezone if they were torn which tourney to travel too.

My life/schedule only allows me to go to 2 events per year, so having more/less tournaments available is irrelevant to me (and anyone else who goes to their tri-state tournaments).

Tournaments bring significance to the game and offers the sense that your are playing FOR something.

In my opinion, the larger tournaments (mainly Tecmo Madison) have become cut-throat competitive (that's a positive remark) due to the experiences budding players pickup from mini-tournaments.  You can't compete against elite players at Madison (rare but possible) without SOME experience.... and some of us outside the mainstream tournament locations have to fill that void... hence the surge of satellite tournaments.

I marked my vote "Good for Tecmo".

It's a good thing. I am holding a tournament where I newly relocated in New York State. It is in between NYC and Syracuse. I have already had a new group of guys reach out to me, who are actually pretty competitive.  I am looking to hold some practices with them, and grow them. It is a great way to add competition to the field, and see some new faces. Also, it gives people a chance to be more willing to play, by playing the game in their backyard and not having to travel so far away. Once they get some games under their belt and get better- they will venture out to larger, more meaningful tournaments.

To me- 100% good thing. In my opinion the end goal of Tecmo should be to grow it so large, that it is televised, and the grand prize is a huge cash payout like other video games do. Would be special if that happened.

Edited by MattyD