(NES) SBlueman's Tecmo Super Bowl 2017

SBlueman

In the next update could you please remove the stats after quarter hack. I can't get used to it and it always seems like the game is over. Also I think the juice hack still might need adjusted right now it seems maybe too difficult. I'm going to play a few more games but somewhere between your 1.3 and 1.4 versions would be great. I'll let you know after some more test games. Finally is there any hack that changes the defensive player from becoming impossible to tackle during a fumble run back?

Edited by oilertitanfan

On 9/18/2017 at 8:11 PM, oilertitanfan said:

In the next update could you please remove the stats after quarter hack. I can't get used to it and it always seems like the game is over. Also I think the juice hack still might need adjusted right now it seems maybe too difficult. I'm going to play a few more games but somewhere between your 1.3 and 1.4 versions would be great. I'll let you know after some more test games. Finally is there any hack that changes the defensive player from becoming impossible to tackle during a fumble run back?

Eventually I will post a 'vanilla' rom with minimal hacks installed so people can pick and choose what hacks to add themselves. I'll probably have that up this weekend so keep an eye out for that.

Thanks to @davefmurrayfixing whatever I blew up, the download page is back and the game has been updated:

What's New in Version 1.07   

Updated Bowns, Eagles and Lions mini-helmet facemasks (Thanks to @jstout, @gojiphen malor and @bruddog for all their help with the updates in the 32-team base rom thread)

SBlueman-TSB2017-v1.07.png

I really like the progress going so far the after quarter hack is the only thing that makes it not seem like the original with updated game play to a 2017 version. Everything else is really good and that's the only thing I would recommend removing. If it's not possible can you please tell me what I need to change and I'll manually update my version? Here also is an update to the L.A. teams info to be like the original. Thank you!

LAR.thumb.png.93c61cdd1c91855d1c96818b6dd739b0.png

1. Change L.A. to Los Angeles

LAC.thumb.png.63451e06a571c860cd6c10c8818afbfc.png

Edited by oilertitanfan

59 minutes ago, oilertitanfan said:

I really like the progress going so far the after quarter hack is the only thing that makes it not seem like the original with updated game play to a 2017 version. Everything else is really good and that's the only thing I would recommend removing. If it's not possible can you please tell me what I need to change and I'll manually update my version? Here also is an update to the L.A. teams info to be like the original. Thank you!

LAR.thumb.png.93c61cdd1c91855d1c96818b6dd739b0.png

LAC.thumb.png.63451e06a571c860cd6c10c8818afbfc.png

I am not sure if I can add both Los Angeles to the Rams and Chargers, I'll see what I can do. I am not a fan of all the spacing between the "L.A." and the team nicknames. The vanilla rom I will post will let you open the rom with TSB Tool and pick and choose which hacks to add. It'll be as simple as copying and pasting.

54 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

The after the quarter stat scren is pretty cool IMO. Also, IMO, it doesn't need to be like the original. That's why mods exist, to mod it to be different than original.

I like having the stats after each quarter myself. It's one of the 'must have' hacks I add to all the edits I work on. The vanilla rom will give people the flexibility to add or remove at their discretion. Hopefully it will also help encourage others to get into editing.

Update time, here's what's new:

What's New in Version 1.08

• Adjusted the COM juice on the full edit (v1.08)

Note:

I also added a "vanilla" version of the edit with only the following SET commands added:

• More NFL like QB rating value
  • Player 2 Conditions Fix
  • Prevent schedule from being random
  • Road team plays as player 2 vs COM 
  • Randomize sound loop used for each play
  • QB backpedal animation hack
  • Change Touchback To 25-Yard Line

No IPS patches have been applied. Players can customize the game to their liking by adding SET commands from the hack list file to the rom with TSBTool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • DFM unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I have been working on the final version of my 2017 edit since my last post. I am down to having to do roster and player attribute updates as well as doing a final edit on the sim codes. I am still planning on a final release around the Super Bowl. Until then any feedback on the previous versions is greatly appreciated!

Edited by SBlueman

• 1 month later...

It's Super Bowl Sunday so as promised it's time for me to release my final version is finally up and ready for download. I have (2) versions up, the first one being a 'vanilla' version with minimal hacks included:

• More NFL-like QB Ratings
  • Player 2 Condition Fix
  • Prevent Schedule From Being Random
  • Road Team Plays as Player 2 vs COM
  • Randomize Sound Loop Used For Each Play
  • QB Backpedal Animation Hack
  • Change Touchback to 25-Yard Line
  • 15 Yard XP

The 'Hardtype" version has these additional hacks included:

• Find open receiver
  • PA/PC hack - PC is INT and PA is target
  • QB throws ball instead of taking sack and runs less
  • COM Dive Tackling like SNES TSB I 
  • Better COM punt timing
  • Changing KR Speed
  • Directional punts
  • FG avoid kick block fix
  • Increase CPU kickoff length
  • Kickoff Wedge Return
  • Onside kick hack better recovery rate for P2
  • PR speed change from SS to actual PR player
  • 15 Sprite Per Scanline
  • Add stats after quarters
  • No Sprite Flicker
  • Changing the differential for popcorning/ dl busting through
  • Passing game probability table hack
  • Better INT Returns
  • Timing of Snap Exchange Between C & QB
  • Diving time based on HP
  • Main Menu Background Color Change XX's
  • Schedule Background Color Change XX
  • Playoff Bracket Fixed
  • Buck's TSB COM Juice Setter

I didn't include the push/pull hack because it breaks the game once installed and I wanted to make sure that the game I put out is editable in TSB Tool so players can adjust the game to their liking if they like.

In conclusion, It's been fun getting back into editing Tecmo this year. Any feedback on the final version is welcome, let me hear what you all think! It's been a while since I have released an edit and would love to hear what people like, dislike and more. Enjoy reliving the 2017-18 NFL season with the game!

@SBlueman Just an...  FYI there is no point to have both the 15 sprite per scanline and no flicker on the same rom.

No sprite flicker = can have all sprites per scanline (will only work on emulators that allow this)

15 sprites = can have 15 sprites per scanline (this was really made as a special hack for the AVS HD-NES since it allows 15 sprites per sscanline. The OG nes only allows 8. 

22 minutes ago, bruddog said:

@SBlueman Just an...  FYI there is no point to have both the 15 sprite per scanline and no flicker on the same rom.

No sprite flicker = can have all sprites per scanline (will only work on emulators that allow this)

15 sprites = can have 15 sprites per scanline (this was really made as a special hack for the AVS HD-NES since it allows 15 sprites per sscanline. The OG nes only allows 8. 

Gotcha. I have edited the release and updated (3) versions: Vanilla, Hardtype and Hardtype with no flicker. The 15 sprites modification has been removed. Thanks for the feedback sir!

FYI, I updated the download to include (5) versions:

Vanilla - minimal hacks added:

• More NFL-like QB Ratings
  • Player 2 Condition Fix
  • Prevent Schedule From Being Random
  • Road Team Plays as Player 2 vs COM
  • Randomize Sound Loop Used For Each Play
  • QB Backpedal Animation Hack
  • Change Touchback to 25-Yard Line
  • 15 Yard XP

Hardtype - Hacks included:

• Find open receiver
  • PA/PC hack - PC is INT and PA is target
  • QB throws ball instead of taking sack and runs less
  • COM Dive Tackling like SNES TSB I 
  • Better COM punt timing
  • Changing KR Speed
  • Directional punts
  • FG avoid kick block fix
  • Increase CPU kickoff length
  • Kickoff Wedge Return
  • Onside kick hack better recovery rate for P2
  • PR speed change from SS to actual PR player
  • Add stats after quarters
  • Changing the differential for popcorning/ dl busting through
  • Passing game probability table hack
  • Better INT Returns
  • Timing of Snap Exchange Between C & QB
  • Diving time based on HP
  • Main Menu Background Color Change XX's
  • Schedule Background Color Change XX
  • Playoff Bracket Fixed
  • Buck's TSB COM Juice Setter

Hardtype - No Flicker

The 3rd version has all the hacks above installed and adds the No Sprite Flicker hack for people looking to play on an emulator that supports this modification.

Hardtype - No P2 As Road Team 

Hardtype version without the Road Team Plays As Player 2 modification added

Hardtype - No P2 As Road Team, No Flicker

Hardtype version without the Road Team Plays As Player 2 modification added. No Flicker modification added.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, fatcheerleader said:

I am going through this last update and will play some games later on.  So far, I like what I see.  I'm curious what your Andrew Luck ratings would be.  I get that Brissett and Tolzien get the nod over Luck though.

Luck's ratings would have depended on how he played throughout the season since I used the Pro Football Focus rankings to rate players. This is what I had him as in my original version:

Andrew Luck-TSB2017.png

Edited by SBlueman

Found a long-lost controller lastnite, after I accidentally static-electricity-zapped (out-of-commission) the about 7 or 8 other controllers I have - ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO FIX A "FRIED" CONTROLLER??? - so, I'm back on track with my Eagles season, to give you feedback ...

21 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Found a long-lost controller lastnite, after I accidentally static-electricity-zapped (out-of-commission) the about 7 or 8 other controllers I have - ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO FIX A "FRIED" CONTROLLER??? - so, I'm back on track with my Eagles season, to give you feedback ...

I'm down to mouse and keyboard lol.

Okay.  I told SBlueman I'd give him feedback, so I'll post my Eagles season/s inter-Romulic findings here.

What're we talking, here?  Here we're talking MANvCOM, TSB2017-v2.0-Hardtype-No P2 Hack {SBlueman} / Goji's NFL Tecmo Super Bowl LII (ver2.0)(Juiced Version) ...

Let us begin.

While SBlueman's presents the slower-gameplay Rom, it's also the slightly-more challenging.

Why is this?

1st, it begins with how defenders close on your ball-carrier.  ie., they don't generally dive/whiff-tackle.  This additionally makes RUNNING the rock hard as funk!

2nd - in terms of challenging - the "bar" for FG's/punts actually moves faster, making those tougher.  Not to mention, extra-points are awesomely placed further away

3rd (also in terms of challenge-factor), it's harder to intercept the ball (compare 4 total picks for SBlueman's Rom, to 15 for Goji's)

... That is why I went 12-4 in SBlueman's Rom - beat S.F by 7 in the Wild-Card, MIN by 1 in the Div - and lost to the Saints (by 9) in the CC, while going 12-3-1 with gojiphen malor's Rom and Won it all (after Div vs. CAR by 16, CC vs. DET by 18) over the Jaguars 17-16.

SBlueman:  I like how you put P.ROBINSON at an OLB spot, but no Chris Long (anywhere else)?!?

Also, FOLES is no. 9 (not 4).

And (just in terms of personal preference), I like it when your Rom's endzones are either minimalist, or say SBLUEMAN {like the good ol' days!} ...

All-in-all, excellent stuffs;  and Thank-both-of you guys (and @maverick209)!!

[Let me know, if there's other info you'd like]

Thanks for the feedback @Bolt! I edited the uploads with some changes suggested by you and @rmm1976. Glad you find the difficulty challenging yet fun. Here's a rundown on the changes:

What's New in Version 2.0:

• Edited receptions rankings for MIN RB4 Dalvin Cook. (thanks to @rmm1976)
  • Edited uniform number for PHI QB2 Nick Foles. (thanks to @Bolt)
  • Edited team sim stats for N.E.
  • Edited sim stats for N.E. QB1 Tim Brady.
  • Edited endzones so they read 'nfl' instead of the default (thanks to @Bolt)
Edited by SBlueman

• 3 weeks later...

I posted an update today:

What's New in Version 2.2   See changelog 

Released 5 minutes ago

• Added Push/Pull hack to all versions except ''Vanilla'' version
  • Made minor changes to Saints playbook and roster

Props out to @bruddog for sharing the code. It can be found in the hacks included with the TSBTool. Hope people enjoy the addition to the games!

I live outside DC and have a ton of Redskins fans as friends.  Poor bastards.  Anyway, I took your rom and put Alex Smith as WAS QB1 and Kirk "Kurt" Cousins as MIN QB1 and recorded a game just to see what would happen.  Then, today the Vikings sign Cousins and "Kurt" cashed in.  Anyway, I may do this more as the player moments keep happening.  Enjoy.

Redskins (Alex Smith) vs Vikings (Kirk Cousins)