Hex editing help, player names

crick78

Hi, I'm hoping someone could give me a little insight on hex editing player names.  I'm editing one of xplosiv's roms, JBI OG 1.2.  I was attempting to replace phil Simms name with Eli Manning.  Phil Simms has nine characters, Eli Manning has ten.  I don't understand how to shorten or lengthen names via hex edit without screwing things up.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

@crick78

So its really a pain to edit the names without a tool,spreadsheet, assembly file to autocalculate all the new pointer offsets after the name being changed.

Say I need to change QB bills to something longer. I have to change every single pointer to EVERY other player = 30*28= 840 pointers.

This file I'm attaching will be your best bet. Just edit them in there with the last NAME capitalized. 

Once you are done I can build that into a something you can paste into the rom or I can explain how to do it. 

Names.txt

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2017 at 4:46 PM, bruddog said:

@crick78

So its really a pain to edit the names without a tool,spreadsheet, assembly file to autocalculate all the new pointer offsets after the name being changed.

Say I need to change QB bills to something longer. I have to change every single pointer to EVERY other player = 30*28= 840 pointers.

This file I'm attaching will be your best bet. Just edit them in there with the last NAME capitalized. 

Once you are done I can build that into a something you can paste into the rom or I can explain how to do it. 

Names.txt

Is there a way this method can be used to help with issues when editing NFC West teams in the 32 team rom? And can you max out the name length on all NFC West players while still being able to edit the game with TSB Tool?

Edited by SBlueman

@SBlueman

The NFC west names have a similar restriction because they must fit into a finite amount of space. So you only get so many characters total. If you have a ton of long names then you are likely to go over. 

You essentialy have ~ 1481 characters you can use for all the nfc west player names and jersey number. So 30 players * 4 teams = 120 total players.

so 1481/120=  12.3 - 1 character for the jersey = 11.3 characters per player name. At least for how the 32 team rom is currently constructed. 

• 1 month later...

@SBlueman

@bruddog

So I've been having a similar issue with the names.  I try to use the TBSToolSupreme app, but it gives me an error each time i use it and screws up the rom, making unable to play (probably because I've changed quite a bit to the rom)

I understand how to change the lengths of the team names and mascots by changing the length of each pointer that is associated to them, so i assume that it is the same for the player names, right?

I'm just not sure at which hex-location these 'player-name-length-pointers' are at.    Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

28 minutes ago, shmue said:

@SBlueman

@bruddog

So I've been having a similar issue with the names.  I try to use the TBSToolSupreme app, but it gives me an error each time i use it and screws up the rom, making unable to play (probably because I've changed quite a bit to the rom)

I understand how to change the lengths of the team names and mascots by changing the length of each pointer that is associated to them, so i assume that it is the same for the player names, right?

I'm just not sure at which hex-location these 'player-name-length-pointers' are at.    Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

If it's a player name issue, you could use the Java editing program GMTSB to change each player's names