Yak

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

On 12/9/2017 at 9:15 PM, Bodom said:

In Disney this week (which has been super relaxing with my 3 over-excited kids)... was walking around Epcot yesterday with my TB12 threads on and got flipped off by a dude sporting a Dirty Bird hat. lmao

I was keeping mental notes of all the shirts, jackets, hats I noticed last week. 

The following teams were heavily represented (20+):

NE, ATL, PHI, PIT

Every other team was represented at least once, except for the following teams:

CLE, CIN, KC, LAC, LAR

55 minutes ago, Bodom said:

I was keeping mental notes of all the shirts, jackets, hats I noticed last week. 

The following teams were heavily represented (20+):

NE, ATL, PHI, PIT

Every other team was represented at least once, except for the following teams:

CLE, CIN, KC, LAC, LAR

No DAL???

one of my brothers wore an elway jersey to the KC RAI game last week. You would not believe the shit people gave him over that! 

4 minutes ago, buck said:

No DAL???

one of my brothers wore an elway jersey to the KC RAI game last week. You would not believe the shit people gave him over that! 

There were a couple of Dallas fans down there.  I specifically remember one guy with a Cowboys hat because I stood behind him in a line for 1/2 hour.  The teams I didn't mention were represented at least once.  Those last 5 teams I listed were the only teams I did not see at all.

And yeah, wearing a Pats shirt the morning after they lost to the Dolphins got me some shit as well. 

Makes me think of the shots game that me and my brothers play.

Every football game that we attend, we keep a mental note of how much paraphernalia we saw that had nothing to do with either team playing on the field.  The collective number is known as the "shot pot" and has to be cleared out before the next week of games start.  For example, if we (most likely the three of us) collectively saw 15 things, then that's about 5 shots per person (assuming they are spread evenly) that have to be taken before Thursday Night Football starts.

Some games have come back surprisingly lit....imagine trying to spread around 38 shots before TNF....UGH

*cue the call out line at work*

Elimination Alert:

I changed around the elimination conditions for the Bengals and Cardinals today based upon the outcome of today's games.  Because the Chargers have lost to the Chiefs, and the Lions had beaten the Bears, there is only one possible path remaining for them to make the playoffs now.  The Bengals will be officially eliminated tomorrow if they either lose, or the Ravens or Raiders win next week.  The Cardinals, meanwhile, will be eliminated from playoff contention if they either lose, or any of the following teams win next week:  Seahawks, Packers, Falcons, or Cowboys.

For the Bengals to make the playoffs, they would need to win out; The Bills and Dolphins to split their division series and then lose Week 16 (most likely to happen); Ravens to lose out; Chargers and Raiders to lose out (and then tie during the season finale); and then the Jets to lose at least once.  The least likely item to happen by far is for the Ravens to lose out.  This would get them to the 6th seed, securing the tie-breaker over the Bills based on head-to-head--both at 8-8.  Then as the immediate runner-ups are the Chargers followed up by the Raiders at 7-8-1 apiece.  Then we have the Ravens beating out the Dolphins at 7-9 apiece).  And the rest is history.

As for the Cardinals, they can only clinch the 6th seed by winning out, and then for the following matchups to go their way (luckily for them, they don't need to worry about any tie's--on the contrary, even a tie could kill their season):

Week 15:  Rams beat Seahawks, Bucs beat Falcons, Panthers beat Packers, and Raiders beat Cowboys

Week 16:  Cowboys beat Seahawks, Saints beat Falcons, Bengals beat Lions, and Vikings beat Packers

Week 17:  Panthers beat Falcons, Packers beat Lions, and Eagles beat Cowboys.

This would get the Cardinals in at 9-7, while the Cowboys, Falcons, Seahawks, Packers, and Lions all falter to 8-8 apiece.

One little thing goes wrong for either of these two teams, they will officially be eliminated from playoff contention.

The Raiders also face elimination as well.  A loss takes them out of contention for the division, while additional wins from the Titans and Ravens will automatically eliminate them from playoff contention altogether (the Bills might screw things up a bit, but they too could contribute to the Raiders' elimination).

Neither the Jets nor Dolphins were necessarily impacted by tonight's games.  However, the Jets will still face elimination with a loss, plus wins from the Ravens.  The Dolphins, meanwhile, would face elimination with a loss, plus wins from both the Ravens and Titans.

The Lions, meanwhile, are guaranteed to live to fight another day.  However, tremendous pressure is on both the Packers and Panthers tomorrow.  The Packers face elimination with a loss plus a Falcons win.  The Panthers, meanwhile, will find their playoff aspirations in jeopardy if they were to lose to the Panthers, but will have a shot to secure a playoff berth with a win.  Big matchup too with the return of Aaron Rodgers versus Cam Newton.

The Cowboys, similarly, also risk elimination tomorrow should they lose and the Falcons win.  Though their matchup--the Oakland Raiders--isn't going to be as difficult as the Packers.

That's pretty much it, really.  The Cardinals and Bengals are the only teams that could win and still get eliminated tomorrow.  The Packers, Dolphins, Jets, and either the Raiders or Cowboys, however, are all at risk at joining them should they lose.  Personally, I'm gonna predict 5 teams facing elimination tomorrow--Bengals, Cardinals, Jets, and either the Raiders or Cowboys seem all but certain at this point.  I'm leaning more towards the Dolphins to be the 5th, but the Packers also have a much harder game by comparison (plus, if the Titans were to lose, the Dolphins would still technically be alive).

In addition, the following conditions can be made tomorrow:

The big game is going to be New England Patriots versus Pittsburgh Steelers (why this isn't a Sunday Night game, I have no idea).  The Steelers would clinch a first-round playoff bye with a win, as well as homefield advantage with a win plus Jaguars loss.  The Patriots, on the other hand, could secure control of the drivers' seat for homefield advantage by winning out, and would clinch the division with either a win or Bills loss.

Because the Lions have won, the Vikings must defeat the Bungles in order to clinch the division this week.  The Jaguars also have a win-and-in condition, though they cannot win the division.  Like the Patriots, however, a Bills loss would also guarantee a playoff berth for the Jaguars.

The only remaining teams that can clinch a playoff berth this week (well, easily of course) would be the Titans and Saints.  The Titans can clinch a playoff berth with a win, plus losses for the Dolphins, Ravens, and Raiders.  The Saints too, can clinch a playoff berth with a win, as well as losses from the Panthers, Falcons, Seahawks, and Cowboys.

Because of the Lions' win, neither the Rams nor the Panthers can possibly clinch a playoff berth tomorrow.

That means we can see anywhere up to 5 teams joining the Eagles and Steelers in the playoffs.  With the AFC North and NFC East Divisions already crowned, and with only the NFC North and AFC East left to possibly join them, we can then see three other teams possibly join in--two of which for contention as the AFC South crown as well as a Wild Card slot.  Meaning in the AFC, only the AFC West, plus one more Wild Card slot could be remain.  In the NFC, there would still be three more seats left to fill, with three teams competing for the NFC South crown, but also another Wild Card slot.  Specifically, only the NFC West as well as the second Wild Card slot would be at stake then.

Cincinnati Bengals, New York Jets, and Arizona Cardinals are now officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Meanwhile, the Vikings have clinched their division in dominating fashion, while the Jaguars clinched a playoff berth.  The Eagles have also secured a first round playoff bye.

More later (like, after Cowboys vs. Raiders).

But man, are the Titans and Seahawks getting their asses kicked.  I'm all but ready to call a Rams victory; no team had ever came back from a 34-point deficit.  I'm not quite ready yet to call it for the 49ers though.  And man does Tom Brady seem old, or what?

Edited by Mike Gordan

If Seattle could just, like, stay home from the Playoffs this season that would be great.

This is hilarious (and I picked SEA!).

0-34, LARf

Out

Loud

Of course, Tom Brady may look really old, but he's still playing a Steelers team that seems to insist on beating him using Zone D--again, why is this still a thing in the NFL!?

And as soon as I post this comment, Brady throws an interception.  I guess the two sides of the coin would balance each other out or something.

Edited by Mike Gordan

This afternoon's slates of games make me laugh so far at the Seahawks' miserable home loss to the Rams; the Titans late season collapse against the lowly 49ers; AND the refs screwing the Steelers over BIG time before Big Ben's interception!

Though seriously, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  FUCK YOU, SEAHAWKS!  May the Falcons win tomorrow night send you on death's row!

47 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

AND the refs screwing the Steelers over BIG time before Big Ben's interception!

Did the refs screw the Steelers - or did the Steelers completely blow a game that the Pats defense handed them?

31 minutes ago, Bodom said:

Did the refs screw the Steelers - or did the Steelers completely blow a game that the Pats defense handed them?

There were a WHOLE LOTTA dropped footballs, today...  jesse james... Delanie Walker... the whole Cardinals offense (including you, Larry Fitzgerald).

December football, "professionals:"  Play like you care.

I was gonna post a comment to Bodom in response, but I accidentally deleted it, so instead, I'm just going to wing it.

The only loss that I thought was particularly upsetting was the Steelers--and that was in spite the fact that I picked the Patriots to win.  The blatant flaws of humanity were all in place there, as it felt like a bit of sabotage mixed with a lack of aggression.  Tom Brady is after all, best known for his 2-minute drills, and would be more than enough to get him enshrined into the Pro-Football Hall of Fame, even if in an alternate reality, his first three Super Bowls were the only ones he ever won.  Which is why you got to beat him up nonstop.

The Chargers loss last night was all the product of human error, but those errors were all on the Chargers in that game.  The Packers loss earlier today was more tragic than anything.  The Titans loss today, on the other hand, was kind of funny.  All games that I picked and lost (so far, anyways).

Me, personally, I'm gonna celebrate the Rams beating the ever-living shit out of the Seahawks!

9 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

Me, personally, I'm gonna celebrate the Rams beating the ever-living shit out of the Seahawks!

I enjoyed this as well.  I used to like Seattle, too... not sure what happened.  Maybe all the Russell Wilson MVP talk turned me away.

10 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

Todd Gurley looked like prime AD against the Legion of Boom. I"m sure that TBK was giddy. 

More seriously though, I think that the Rams are a good example of how important coaching is. Sean McVay has taken what is essentially the same unit that Jeff Fisher had, and turned them into a fantastic offensive team. 

Oh, just a quick heads up--the Raiders will be officially eliminated from playoff contention should they lose tonight.  If the Cowboys lose tonight, then they will be joining the Green Bay Packers awaiting their death sentence at the hands of the Atlanta Falcons tomorrow night.

As for my Power Rankings, I'm pretty much going to go by each of these four tiers--teams that are eliminated; teams that cannot clinch next week even if everything goes their way; teams that can clinch next week (so far, only four teams can clinch next week, with a fifth team in the Falcons possibly joining them); and teams that have already clinched.

Within each of these categories, I will be ranking them based on overall skill level in relation to their own respective tiers.  The only exception are the teams that cannot clinch next week, though I will at least try to keep consistency.  This is because the odds and chances of a team making the playoffs will also be directly affected in some way, shape, matter or form (though with, say, the Dolphins, I think it's safe to say that they'd rank at the very bottom of said tier list).

For this reason, I would rate the Houston Texans below the Colts and 49ers because I am firmly convinced they are utterly incapable of winning another game again.  The only thing that would keep the 49ers from winning another game again in spite the massive strides they have made with the acquisition of Jimmy G would be their remaining schedule--they play the Jaguars and Rams.  The Colts may be awful too, but the Texans might as well be comparable to the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants on how awful they now are.

And that's just one example.  So no, current records are not going to be the deciding factor in my final tier lists.  Because if they were, the Eagles and Patriots would top the power rankings (just a heads-up; they're not my projected Super Bowl teams this year, and I'll explain why).

7 minutes ago, PockyCandy said:

Todd Gurley looked like prime AD against the Legion of Boom. I"m sure that TBK was giddy. 

More seriously though, I think that the Rams are a good example of how important coaching is. Sean McVay has taken what is essentially the same unit that Jeff Fisher had, and turned them into a fantastic offensive team. 

The same can be said with the Jacksonville Jaguars, only on the defensive side of the ball.  Actually, that would probably make for a very fun Super Bowl, provided of course the Jaguars don't run the score up on the Rams.

7 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

The same can be said with the Jacksonville Jaguars, only on the defensive side of the ball.  Actually, that would probably make for a very fun Super Bowl, provided of course the Jaguars don't run the score up on the Rams.

I'd be all for a Jaguars V Rams Super Bowl, if my Vikings don't make it to the Superbowl. And the only way I can see the Vikings losing before the Superbowl is if Aaron Rodgers and the Packers somehow sneak into the playoffs. That man is the kryptonite of the franchise. 

Ok, I'm being slightly facetious. All of the NFC teams are good and could make it to the Superbowl as it stands right now. The AFC, on the other hand, is a three team race between the Steelers, Patriots, and Jaguars. And since the Patriots own the Steelers like LeBron owns the Raptors, it's probably going to come down to Brady and a solid defense VS Bortles and a great defense. Who wins that matchup?

HInt: IT'S BRADY and a decent defense.